• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamesindustry.biz] In Europe 44% of Elden Ring Sales Were on PC

yazenov

Shocked how little the total percentage of sales are for the Xbox. PS versions sold 2.5x more units than the Xbox version, even with the release of Horizon 2 and GT7, and the extreme shortages of PS5.

One observation is that PS5 seams to always be the dominant version of the 2 Sony consoles which indicates that the PS4 user base is dormant. It would also suggest that the percentages of sales would increase once more ps5s are on the shelves once Sony produces more of them. Still, impressed by the PC sales.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
in fact Steam has lower active base than PlayStation for example.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sentenza

PC is a market, like console is a market, and mobile is a market. If people want to group every PC box into 1, then do the same with consoles.
That's some of the most stupid shit I've read on this forum and that's definitely NOT for the lack of competition, either.
A Playstation, XBOX or Nintendo release have virtually nothing to share. They are three separate closed platforms, with three different platform holders that require three different code bases of the same software ("three different ports") to be served. They are NOT the same market or platform or whatever.

Thirty7ven

Banned
That's some of the most stupid shit I've read on this forum and that's definitely NOT for the lack of competition, either.
A Playstation, XBOX or Nintendo release have virtually nothing to share. They are three separate closed platforms, with three different platform holders that require three different code bases of the same software ("three different ports") to be served. They are NOT the same market or platform or whatever.

It’s how people in the industry actually divide the markets. Console, mobile, PC.

This is a thread about sales, not apis, but I will let you hold that bag of dicks.

yurinka

Napkin maths here so alot of quick assumptions:

~10m units sold
1.6m units on Xbox
$60 ARPU
digital sales is 60%+ so about 1m units sold digitally = $42m revenue assuming MS takes a 30% cut

$42m - the cost of developing for Xbox = the amount that Sony would have to pay for assuming FromSoftware/Bandai don't have cashflow issues.
Looking at Steam user reviews or Steamspy seems it's pretty likely already above 10M units on PC alone. So seems to have potential to be a 20M or even 30M units seller.

This generation Sony had several games that sold 15M/20M or are on track to achieve that. To have them selling 15/20M per game would be a big win for Sony, but even if they sell way, way less if at least they keep getting great reviews and GOTY awards.

To sell all these millions means to be very profitable, pretty likely 5M would be enough for them. And well, if Sony would ask them an exclusive game they would be the publisher and would fund and market the game, so Bandai wouldn't get their cut and would be out of the question. Basically as they did in games like Demon's Souls, Bloodborne or Déraciné basically it would be Sony's Japanese XDEV team hiring From Software to do a 2nd party game. Or well, Sony buying FromSoft or their parent company.

ClosBSAS

my god, the sony fanboyism is getting so out of hand in this forum its ridiculous, might as well call it sonygaf instead of neogaf. jesus why cant u ppl be happy for the success of the game on PC? u mad it may acutally sliop to pc being the preferred platform? u mad ur baby might leave the platform? grow up. the hate for elden ring success is ridiculous.

Fredrik

Have they acquired and combined actual sales figures for all stores on PC or is it just Steam? Or the usual guesstimates?

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Have they acquired and combined actual sales figures for all stores on PC or is it just Steam? Or the usual guesstimates?
theres nothing estimate about it....steam ccu tells ur the game has sold at least 8 million copies. why is it so hard for ppl to believe this? no need to make a pr annoucnement till it reaches that 20 million sold. which it will soon enough.

deeptech

So many here buttblasted and on the defensive about their consoles, holy fucking shit can we have a PC positive news without console fans crying and being insecure about their superiority.
Anyway, it sucks that so many sales are on PC yet PC version is almost pure garbage tech and performance wise, such a shame they put so little effort in PC versions, they have every reason to treat it better...

Dream-Knife

Banned
I noticed the DS3 community was much larger on PC than PS4. Then again PC games are active longer in general.

Also Steam has more monthy active users than either box.

Last edited:

GrayChild

This proves Sony is dumb AF for still not putting Bloodborne and Demon's Souls on Steam. The games have been out for quite some time and they won't move many more units. The huge Soulsborne community on PC and the still-ongoing hype for ER pretty much guarantees that these two will sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
IIRC Elden Ring only came out on Steam. Even if it didn't, I can't imagine the sales on other stores would add much.

Looking at Steam user reviews or Steamspy seems it's pretty likely already above 10M units on PC alone. So seems to have potential to be a 20M or even 30M units seller.

This generation Sony had several games that sold 15M/20M or are on track to achieve that. To have them selling 15/20M per game would be a big win for Sony, but even if they sell way, way less if at least they keep getting great reviews and GOTY awards.

To sell all these millions means to be very profitable, pretty likely 5M would be enough for them. And well, if Sony would ask them an exclusive game they would be the publisher and would fund and market the game, so Bandai wouldn't get their cut and would be out of the question. Basically as they did in games like Demon's Souls, Bloodborne or Déraciné basically it would be Sony's Japanese XDEV team hiring From Software to do a 2nd party game. Or well, Sony buying FromSoft or their parent company.

That's only if Miyazaki stays. Souls games wouldn't be the same without him, much like the Xeno series without Takahashi.

Last edited:

Fredrik

theres nothing estimate about it....steam ccu tells ur the game has sold at least 8 million copies. why is it so hard for ppl to believe this? no need to make a pr annoucnement till it reaches that 20 million sold. which it will soon enough.
If people has bought it but not played it, will it still show up when looking at Steam ccu?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I mean its almost 50/50 between playstation and pc and playstation had two major games come out before and after it lol

Kind of proves the point. Fromsoftware could have also comfortably skipped x-box with a money hat and been ok. This just kind of supports the idea of Fromsoft doing another playstation/pc exclusive in the future
And it's like I've said several times already. From is not developing an exclusive game ever again. Sony folks thought otherwise. This should prove it. From's biggest fanbase is on PC. From games are multi platform going forward. No hope of Bloodbourne 2 or Demon Souls 2 by From. It's a good thing! I want more like Dark Souls and Elden Ring! For all to experience!

Bryank75

Banned

Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.

PC gaming is getting bigger and bigger and we can see how it is impossible for the platform holders to ignore it. Hopefully we see more effort being put into PC versions of games and extra features such as Ultra Wide support.

PlayStation has Horizon and GT7, two massive games launching at either side of Elden Ring....... PC has very little competition around it.

Your take is way off.

Souls was funded and born on PlayStation, we played and supported the games before you even heard about them. That is a fact.

And it's like I've said several times already. From is not developing an exclusive game ever again. Sony folks thought otherwise. This should prove it. From's biggest fanbase is on PC. From games are multi platform going forward. No hope of Bloodbourne 2 or Demon Souls 2 by From. It's a good thing! I want more like Dark Souls and Elden Ring! For all to experience!
I will keep you in my prayers

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PlayStation has Horizon and GT7, two massive games launching at either side of Elden Ring....... PC has very little competition around it.

Your take is way off.

Souls was funded and born on PlayStation, we played and supported the games before you even heard about them. That is a fact.

It’s so funny how you act like people are obligated to only own and use a single platform. I would wager a ton of people playing elden ring on pc like myself played demon souls on ps3 and bloodborne on ps4.

Steam also had another massive game launch shortly before Elden Ring which is actually more popular on the platform.

It’s so funny how you act like people are obligated to only own and use a single platform. I would wager a ton of people playing elden ring on pc like myself played demon souls on ps3 and bloodborne on ps4.

Steam also had another massive game launch shortly before Elden Ring which is actually more popular on the platform.

Eh, the thing is a lot of playstation owners are just not gonna buy two or 3 major games in the span of a couple of weeks. Which explains that 4% of difference

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Your take is way off.

Lol, I bought demons souls day 1 on Ps3 had the special edition packaging. very few people cared about souls games until dark souls and once prepared to die edition launched and the ofc version had the unofficial 60fps patch, every single person I knew who was serious about souls games played it on pc. That was the start of souls taking off big time on the pc.

demons Souls did start on ps3 though and it deserves some credit for that. Sony Japan felt the vibes and gave Miyazaki the chance he needed.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
If people has bought it but not played it, will it still show up when looking at Steam ccu?
No. Also, who would buy a $60 game and not play it? If you're not going to be playing it, you would wait for a sale.

However, those numbers don't include people with private profiles, like myself. However I'm in the US.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

I couldn't tell you the name of any game launching on PC close to ER...... except maybe Dying Light 2, which isnt that big a game IMO.

Europe is always PS land, except German and eastern Europe. So I expect bigger percentage worldwide for PC if China and NA number already in.

Azurro

Banned
If wanting the best possible experience is being a fanboy, then yes, I am.

You missed my point, it is only the "best possible experience" if you invested in your rig 4 times the cost of a PS5. For most people it is actually a lesser experience, which is a point people conveniently ignore when playing these ridiculous console vs PC wars.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
PC is home to Souls games now. Deal with it. We PC gamers like our Souls games! I bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. Would have never done that if it was released on PC. And now I never need to worry about From making a Souls game exclusively for PS ever again. Feels good!

Azurro

Banned
That's true for the general public for sure but not for gaffers. This is an enthusiast board. I highly doubt most of us here who play on pc primarily are rocking potatoes. If we are it's because we can't get the new shit lol.

Are most PC gaffers in the financial position to invest at least 2000 dollars in their rig? I'd bet against it.

Tutomos

The game already sold 300k copies in Japan on Playstation. It's going to sell more on PS worldwide at the end of the day.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You missed my point, it is only the "best possible experience" if you invested in your rig 4 times the cost of a PS5. For most people it is actually a lesser experience, which is a point people conveniently ignore when playing these ridiculous console vs PC wars.
Just forcing vsync off and getting minimum lag already makes it vastly better to whatever PS5 can do. Vsync can burn in hell.

Mercador

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.
I'm not too sure about this part, it was pretty much a big IP for Playstation from the start up. I think it changes around Dark Souls 2 or 3.

Disclaimer: I'm a ER PC owner but I played Demon's Souls on PS, DS1 and 2 on Xbox, never played DS3. Tried Bloodborne on PS4, can't stand the gfx, heresy I know.

Your take is way off.

Europe is Playstation land.... and that's bullshit. Nobody. Not ONE. SINGLE. PERSON. skipped Elden Ring for either of those two PS games.

Also, how many of those PS4 copies were people with PS5's wanting to play the last gen version on their next gen console because it performed acceptably? Not to mention, how many of those PS sales... were converted from PC because of issues the PC version had?

I suspect in other markets PC will also outsell PS even further, regarding Elden Ring..

Top Bottom