• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry.biz presents… The Year In Numbers 2022.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/gamesindustrybiz-presents-the-year-in-numbers-2022
2022 has been a busy year for GamesIndustry.biz (and continues to be so. Could the news slow down please? It's nearly Christmas). Brendan has already taken an in-depth look at the biggest stories of the past twelve months in This Year In Business, but it's time to look at good ol' statistics.

Yes, it's our annual Year In Numbers infographic in which we condense everything you need to know about where the global games industry stands into a single (but very long) JPG. In the graphs and tables below you'll find:

• The global games market value (courtesy of Newzoo)
  • Total boxed vs digital revenues (also via Newzoo)
  • The biggest mobile games, publishers and countries, both by revenue and downloads (thank you, Sensor Tower)
  • The best-selling games in the UK (from GfK), US (from The NPD Group) and Japan (from Famitsu)
  • The most covered games and companies (provided by ICO)
  • The biggest influencers, most watched trailers, most tweeted/retweeted games, and the titles with the most retail placements (courtesy of Fancensus)
  • Plus, our own tallies of the highest and lowest rated games of the year, and the number of new releases vs new IP from the biggest publishers
So, without any further ado, GamesIndustry.biz presents… The Year In Numbers 2022:

Lots of stats in this report to go over.

GI22_Infographic_YIN_dev1C.jpg

1. 1st, Xbox released the most new IP this year with 4 new IP games released. Nintendo lead with the amount of new games released in general not new Ip, closely followed by Take Two.

2. 94.2% of all games brought in 2022 were digital, that still leaves millions of physical sales but that's a major discrepancy.

3. For Metacritic, Elden Ring was the top new game released this year in regards to rating, Postal 4 was the lowest rated game on MC this year. I also did not know there was a Postal 4 so that's pretty telling in itself.

4. The top 5 best selling games of 2022 in the US were Modern Warfare II, Elden Ring, Madden 23, Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga, and God of War: Ragnarök.

• The top 5 best selling games of 2022 in the UK were Fifa 23, Modern warfare II, Pokemon: Arceus, Horizon: Frobidden West, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.
  • The top 5 best selling games of 2022 in the Japan were Splatoon 3, Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, Pokemon: Arceus, Kirby and the forgotten land, and Nintendo Switch sports.

5. Mobile games made up 50% of the gaming industry for 2022, Console games 28%, and PC games 21%.

6. The US leads in mobile game spending in 2022, followed by China for #2, Japan for #3, South Korea in 4th, and coming in 5th Taiwan.

• For mobile game DOWNLOADS and not spending, the top countries are lead by India with 8.9 billion downloads with no one else close, followed by the US, Brazil, Indonesia, and Russia.

7. The Top 5 most covered companies by media were Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, and Epic games.
  • The Top 5 most covered games by media were Elden Ring, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, COD Modern Warfare II, and TLOU Part II.

8. The most discussed games on Twitter this year were, Genshin Impact, Final Fantasy XIV, Elden Ring, Splatoon 3, and COD Modern Warfare II.

What a crazy year indeed.

2022 was filled with things that people weren't expecting to work or take off and they did. Xbox being a major seller this year with no major games the whole year, Call of Duty's comeback less than a full month from launch becoming the best selling game in the US and second best selling game in the UK for 2022, people spending their mortgages on PubG Mobile and Genshin Impact, almost 85% digital gaming sales was also a shocker.

Strangely no VR stuff in that report, but that'll be a separate thing from another company later before the end of the year so no lost. Curious to see where the headset sales are.

ProtoByte

Woah woah, wait a minute.
Pay attention to digital vs physical split.

They're pitting all physical revenues (e.g. boxed games) against all digital revenues - the latter of which includes DLC and microtransactions on console, PC, AND mobile. It's a useless stat.

The more useful figure is the specific console digital game vs physical game split.

28% physical, still. The digital rational when it comes to actual game sales seems to have leveled off, because this isn't much different from the last 2-3 years. Just to be clear, 10 billion dollars were still generated by physical. Which is pretty incredible considering they're only available on 28% of the market (consoles)

You also have to imagine that it's very game specific. Annual/multiplayer stuff? Supermajority digital. If it's single player titles like Horizon: Forbidden West, the rational is probably a lot more balanced.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
2% PC boxed? Those boxes probably have all digital codes in them anyway. lol

I dont think stores have had those bargain racks of jewel cased PC games in 10 years.

Reactions: TLZ

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
KU1DdHU.png

holy fuck ..

next gen probably gonna be primarily digital with optional physical disc add-ons across the board at this rate.

Last edited:
Guess stats from the report didn't make a good title.

KU1DdHU.png

holy fuck ..

next gen probably gonna be primarily digital with optional physical disc add-ons across the board at this rate.

Physical still makes billions, and for some games can lead to higher returns on average and is favorable with retailers.

Let's see...

Pentiment
As Dusk Falls
Grounded

What is the last one?

Grounded was last year.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Physical still makes billions, and for some games can lead to higher returns on average and is favorable with retailers.

Physical still makes billions sure, but when 95% of business is digital, there's even less incentive for companies to continue supporting physical.

Especially cause they will SAVE money by not needing to print discs, packaging, manuals etc.

Bleak times for physical game owners ahead.

ProtoByte

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

this your last gen of physical media
KU1DdHU.png

holy fuck ..

Interesting that the title was altered despite directly citing states from the report, unless it was because it mentioned the - nvm.

Guys, again, pay attention to the actual stats:
That number is everything physical against everything digital. The former which only includes games on console (PC is negligible). The latter includes games, DLC and microtransactions on mobile, PC and console.

That's a psy-op stat if I've ever seen one.

Physical still makes billions sure, but when 95% of business is digital, there's even less incentive for companies to continue supporting physical.

The incentive is higher returns You are confusing the business and partnership end with the consumer end of this statistic they don't mix.

We also don't know the details in how that is split either, but while it's obvious digital has gotten a lot of tractions, Physical is still nowhere near being in turmoil. The digital movie to physical movie ratio is actually smaller than for games and that's still going strong and that's in a much worse position ratio wise.

There's also an uptick in Physical PC games this year, something you wouldn't ever expect to see.

Between retailer partnerships, ROI, and a loyal base of physical buyers no one is going to throw that money away because most consumers go digital.

I mean who wants trash like Elden Ring when you've got
7TSXBYGU7RHOXBUDFVI4DC6AGM.jpg

You see this Activision and King? This is how you support a mobile game long-term, not announcing your cancelling Crash On The Run in a couple months after less than a year on sale you dumb f-

Any way.

Topher

Gold Member

TLZ

Banned
KU1DdHU.png

holy fuck ..

This includes mobile and PC gaming.

If we only take consoles, it's around 20% physical, 80% digital. Still high but better.

feynoob

Banned
Guys, again, pay attention to the actual stats:
That number is everything physical against everything digital. The former which only includes games on console (PC is negligible). The latter includes games, DLC and microtransactions on mobile, PC and console.

That's a psy-op stat if I've ever seen one.
Look at console stats. It says boxed vs digital.
Live service games contribute massively with those stats, which makes boxed smaller.

And now with gamers numbers rising alot, I can see developers and publishers making less disc and focusing more on digital.

This has been their goal, as they can make tons of money from digital sales, and not worry about those used discs.

adamsapple

The incentive is higher returns You are confusing the business and partnership end with the consumer end of this statistic they don't mix.

We also don't know the details in how that is split either, but while it's obvious digital has gotten a lot of tractions, Physical is still nowhere near being in turmoil. The digital movie to physical movie ratio is actually smaller than for games and that's still going strong and that's in a much worse position ratio wise.

There's also an uptick in Physical PC games this year, something you wouldn't ever expect to see.

Between retailer partnerships, ROI, and a loyal base of physical buyers no one is going to throw that money away because most consumers go digital.

It's better for users who can buy/resell/trade but publishers don't see a dime of the resale money so they really don't have any real incentive truth be told.

No, it was early access starting in 2020. It was fully released in September.

[/URL][/URL]

So it was 2 years ago. It's unlikely Grounded is included in the data. Probably new releases only for 2022.

It's better for users who can buy/resell/trade but publishers don't see a dime of the resale money so they really don't have any real incentive truth be told.

Except their initial ROI is higher, they get more favorism with retailers to distribute their games and help market their games. That reaches millions of people who still buy games in store which mostly comprises of the average joe who actually buys physical in store, followed by the non-digital gamer.

No point in cutting off that pool because of resales since it still adds to everyones bottom line, publishers and especially console makers where it also aids with hardware as well as games. Which many people (iirc the data in this case the majority) buy hardware in store.

There will always be some physical option. I don't see gaming really trying to push physical out so it's .01% of the industry when it's not even in the spot movies are in yet with Digital vs. Physical, which are in a worse position and still make billions in physical. Gaming is still 30% all physical formats combined in this chart data.

It's possible next gen could head in that direction but I don't think that would happen upfront, and there's small upticks in physical and who knows, a new storage format my come out in the next 6 years.

I mean we are eventually going to need an easy storage option to hold more 500Gbs or more, we've been stuck in the 100Gb cycle for years now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft delivering the new ip and only one game less than Sony in 2022...is that right?

Amazing sales for God of war when you consider when it launched.

Horizon loving those year long bundles in the UK. What percentage of players completed horizon I wonder? All I've heard from the podcasts I listen to is everyone ripping it lol. Everyone knows my stance on that game though. I wouldn't play through it myself. Gonna fire it up over Xmas just as a tech demo though.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft delivering the new ip and only one game less than Sony in 2022...is that right?

Amazing sales for God of war when you consider when it launched.

Horizon loving those year long bundles in the UK. What percentage of players completed horizon I wonder? All I've heard from the podcasts I listen to is everyone ripping it lol. Everyone knows my stance on that game though. I wouldn't play through it myself. Gonna fire it up over Xmas just as a tech demo though.

I really don't think you want to warrior up with MS vs Sony in 2022, dude.

The IP would not be new, and you still would have a game missing even if you included it, so there's clearly games we aren't considering among the 4 new IP of 2022.

As others pointed out, Ghostwire Tokyo is the fourth game. If you want to dig up another game that Microsoft released in 2022 then feel free, otherwise seems obvious that the answer is Grounded.

cormack12

Gold Member
PC market is tiny yet steam users are always breaking records. What gives. How can the global value be so small?

Top Bottom