• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Gamesindustry) Nintendo Switch to sell 40M units through 2020 - DFC Intel. report

Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative? You keep seeing people over and over say they are cancelling their preorders even. No way the first day will sell through with all those cancellations either at this point honestly.

1-1.5 mil of the initial 2 million day one sold out is a safe bet yeah?
Gaf isn't infallable. Case in point
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=432781

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And? It's a hybrid system and those aren't.

The hybrid gimmick is only attractive to a segment of users though when they have other ways to play games on the go. Many people probably won't even detach their units from the dock ever as opposed to just playing games traditionally.

Handhelds especially in the west are not generally supported all that well, which means the handheld angle is hit or miss

AmFreak

Other forecasts by them in Feb. 2014:
PS4 (2020): 100 mill. (slight edge for ps4 cause of Europe)
Xbox One (2020): 100 mill.

Edit: Added date of report

tkscz

Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative? You keep seeing people over and over say they are cancelling their preorders even. No way the first day will sell through with all those cancellations either at this point honestly.

You are aware GAF is a minority right?

JJH

40M for a Nintendo console?

I8kq0uJ.gif

kswiston

3DS was at 50M after the same period (end of 2014).

40M seems optimistic given the price differences and sales of 3DS after the first 3 years (42.7M by the end of 2013).

Raven117

Yeah, but you are underestimating the curve for this thing.

Preorders are already hard to find now. The hardcore will jump on this fast and pay the 300 and pick up Zelda. Zelda will review at like 10/10 (or something like that...regardless if deserved or not...though it does look good). People will like it.

Then some Splatoon.

Then finally Mario will release...Either Switch will get a price cut, or a bundle with Mario...

Badaboom buda bing, The price point is just right for the casual crowd.

If Nintendo makes some smart choices....This concept has potential. "An on the go game console that you can plug into your TV...with all the good Nintento First party games and some of the more whacky smaller titles.

JordanN

Banned
I don't think it's going to be easy to get the 3DS crowd to move over to Switch.

The people who bought 3DS did so because it was coming off the DS and they were looking for something that was very cheap (hence the insane price cut in the beginning).

Switch is launching for $300 with games that are going to be a bit more expensive (3DS still had the handheld benefit of launching games $10-$20 cheaper than home console versions. If Switch is also being treated like a home console and aiming for "AAA" graphics, it will be $60 or more for games).

This, plus Animal Crossing and Switch essentially becoming 'nu-Vita' for digital indie content. 3DS' natural decline will help too.
Animal Crossing needs to be a thing and it needs to be marketed hardcore. I really think the momentum of the Switch will hinge entirely on how good BoTW does. If it starts out with a bang, followed by Mario Odyssey being good, plus Animal Crossing and Pokemon potentially being announced at E3, that may be enough to propel the Switch into steady sales. Nintendo really needs to do a 180 though and make street pass a thing for the Switch. Recipe for success. The online cost, combined with requiring a smartphone is gonna hurt Nintendo big time though. Will be interesting to see the reception of that.

nynt9

40M seems optimistic given the price differences and sales of 3DS after the first 3 years (42.7M by the end of 2013).

3DS also launched at a time where the mobile gaming market wasn't as strong as it is today.

benjammin

Seems like extremely wishful thinking to me. The overall reaction to the console has been negative everywhere that I've seen, even here where half of us are diehard Nintendo fan boys. Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft, and the Switch is just too expensive for the casual market to pickup as a secondary console. I really hope that it sells 40mm, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Neoweee

Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible.

No chance in hell. I'm guessing 15 million worldwide by 2020.

So Nintendo is going to exit the hardware business? Consolidating their handheld and home lines and doing only a fraction of their typical handheld business would end Nintendo as we know it.

They aren't saying 40 Million at $300. There will be price drops or bundles or revisions etc. It looks like the launch shipments will sell out at $300, and its sales trajectory will determine the holiday 2017 bundles/price drops.

13/millon units every year.

Um, yeah. Good luck with that

WiiU's LTD is 13 million
Traders are already sceptical of Nintendo: The Wii U, Nintendo’s previous console was a notorious flop, selling only 13 million units in its five-year lifespan. For comparison, the original Wii sold 101 million units in its lifetime.

Not to mention if this thing gets off to a similar start as the 3DS, it will absolutely not still be $300 this holiday even.

Seems like extremely wishful thinking to me. The overall reaction to the console has been negative everywhere that I've seen, even here where half of us are diehard Nintendo fan boys. Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft, and the Switch is just too expensive for the casual market to pickup as a secondary console. I really hope that it sells 40mm, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Maybe on gaf, and comment sections, which aren;t really indicative of anything. Case in point gaf reactions to the wii, vita and 3ds.

Twitter and Youtube for example has been positive.

Usobuko

Banned
I think it's going to do 40-50 LTD but whether that's good or not depends on how one would think the combined LTD of Wii U and 3ds leading to this in current state of gaming.

NSESN

It would be less than PS4, and i think less than 3DS too. It would beat One and easily beat WiiU, so i don't know what to say. I don't think it's conservative, but it's also nowhere near a big success.

Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative

And they say Nintendo fans live in a bubble...

On those guessed numbers, phew, a little early to tell. It is out for a rather slow start, I'd expect. And the potential brutal (Handheld-) exclusives that tend to sell systems like crazy - I'm looking at you, Pokémon and Animal Crossing - are not even officially announced yet.

Duxxy3

It's a hybrid...it has a different appeal.

You never know, but I could see it.

And I don't think people are going to give a shit about it being a hybrid. In japan it will be seen as a handheld. In the west it will be seen as a console.

It will sell out at launch, because everything does. Then sales are going to fall off a cliff, especially in the west.

So Nintendo is going to exit the hardware business? Consolidating their handheld and home lines and doing only a fraction of their typical handheld business would end Nintendo as we know it.

They aren't saying 40 Million at $300. There will be price drops or bundles or revisions etc. It looks like the launch shipments will sell out at $300, and its sales trajectory will determine the holiday 2017 bundles/price drops.

No. They'll just make a handheld. Whether it's a continuation of the Switch line or 3DS line I don't know.

Zedark

LOL. Never, ever take a GAF reaction and even try to extrapolate that to the market at large. GAF is a highly critical enthusiasts' forum with people who care about things like how the reveal presentation was structured. The general mainstream audience don't even watch such presentations, but rather watch the youtube videos of the individual games and of the hardware reveal (the Nintendo Switch reveal trailer is already north of 25 million, and probably north of 30 million when you combine all nintendo youtube accounts). GAF has been negative about the Wii as well, so you see we are not indicative of how systems will play out.

The Switch has one very important thing going for it: no one thinks it is an add-on to the Wii. Just by that distinction from the WiiU, it will do quite a bit better. I doubt they will manage to reach 40 million in less than 4 years, but more than 10 million is practically a given already.

Top Bottom