• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Gamesindustry) Nintendo Switch to sell 40M units through 2020 - DFC Intel. report

I think 30-40 million lifetime is what Nintendo will have to hit for Switch to at least be the modest success that they need it to be. I don't think that's an unreasonable prediction to make today.

Interfectum

good-luck.gif

lol perfect

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Granted, combining the Wii U userbase and the 3DS userbase(even though i'm sure a significant portion of that WIi U userbase also has a 3DS) obviously means that the Switch should hit decent numbers in the long run, my skepticism with this generally is with the speed they expect Nintendo to sell units. Maybe in 6 years again they can sell 60 million with just their own software and the software they have supported 3DS and Wii U with, but i don't think its enough to actually accelerate their chances considering the competition

My guess is somewhere around 25 to 30 million in 2020, and if they go out to 2022-23 they can keep that growth stretching to say 50 million or 55.

Dierce

Are these the same guys that predicted a 32 billion dollar industry for smart watches 2 years ago?

These guys are probably in the business of shorting stocks.

noshten

GAF is less than 1% of the potential consumers and honestly every thread's just the same 20-30 people losing their minds over every piece of potentially bad news.

Yep if Switch reveal was such a disaster the videos they've uploaded would be littered with dislikes. Instead it seems mostly positive reception of all the game trailers and even parental controls.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative? You keep seeing people over and over say they are cancelling their preorders even. No way the first day will sell through with all those cancellations either at this point honestly.

1-1.5 mil of the initial 2 million day one sold out is a safe bet yeah?

You need to realise that gaf represents less than a fraction of 1% of the market, especially the market Nintendo are aiming for. Switch will do fine when you consider it will sell the ten million you're quoting as it's lifetime sales in Japan alone.

2017 (10 months of it), 2018 and 2019. 40 mil in 3 years. I can see it. Once it drops to 250 maybe next year i can see it selling really well.

"Gaf´s" opinion is generally irrelevant. I remember the meltdown with the Wii and the predictions that the WiiU would be the best selling console after the initial reveal that gen because the Wii sold so well.

We´ll see one way or the other.

NotLiquid

40 million in 4 years seems like quite the challenge. The hardware is fairly appealing but is the price something that the consumer will adopt? I could see a slower burn that goes uphill.

I expect it to be closer to 30 million, give or take. Probably higher depending on how the market of 3DS owners will adopt the new console.

Elandyll

Banned
Unless it craters like the U, it seems fairly reasonable I think, perhaps even conservative if the hybrid concept really takes off.

The big question is how much the negatives (high price, pay online, chat through phones, motion gimmicks, dry initial launch lineup, questionable 3rd party support...) will impact sales once past the "honeymoon period" (hardcore Nintendo ebthusiasts).

Gotta say though that with a Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Xenogears and perhaps even a Pokemon title hitting during Year One, Nintendo is at least trying its best shot at increasing the install base early on to try to kickstart the 3rd party interest.
It'll be up to Nintendo customers to show that they are not just buying a Nintendo-Title-Box only...

nynt9

Considering the current state of the mobile market, the WiiU, and the fact that Xbox is nowhere near breaking even 30m 3 years in (they'd have to sell basically as much as they sold in 3 years in 1 year to get there), this seems insane to me. This thing doesn't have the appeal of the 3DS. Neither does it have the appeal of the PS4. I don't think this is possible. Though if someone wants to hold a 3 year grudge on me and remind me in 2020 if Nintendo somehow break this, I guess I can change my avatar to a Nintendo character or something.

Volotaire

What did DFC project for the Wii U?

What did DFC say about the Wii U?

25 M units OR less lifetime as of 2013 (1 year into the Wii U lifecycle).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-21-wii-u-to-see-lifetime-sales-of-25m-or-less-dfc

"We are once again lowering our outlook for the Wii U. Right now it is looking to do about what the GameCube did during its lifespan which is mainly be another system for Nintendo first party product," Cole said, referring to GameCube's lifetime sales of under 22 million.

"I think Nintendo is carving out a different audience. I think that being said it is the right strategy. The audience they are going after is not the ones that Sony and Microsoft are going after. Right now they need to go after Nintendo fans first. They should have done that last year but better late than never. So in answer to your question it is the right approach but really Nintendo now is just trying to do as well as the GameCube so they have a base to sell first party software," Cole said.

I wonder what Gamesindustry projected for the Wii U lol

It is not Gamesindustry projecting. DFC Intelligence is the research firm who have projected the sales figures. Gamesindustry is reporting it.

Dierce

Not to mention that in 2-3 years the hardware will be completely obsolete. I imagine smartphones having more graphical power than the Switch.

jdmonmou

Maybe if they release a mid-cycle upgrade that has voice chat built in, more powerful graphics, and healthy 3rd party support. I just don't see how the Switch can have near the same level of success as PS4 in its current form.

rockx4

Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative? You keep seeing people over and over say they are cancelling their preorders even. No way the first day will sell through with all those cancellations either at this point honestly.

LMAO, you should never use gaf to predict the market. If GAF was right, moba and mobile games would be making no money right now.

It could happen with a price drop and focus on core games.

F Zero, Wave Race, Metroid, Kirby etc. Have those games and you're going to attract many hardcore players that skipped the Wii U

Hindl

That's... bad. Really bad, right?

Not really. The industry isn't nearly as big as it used to be. For reference, the PS4, which has been selling gangbusters, has sold 56M worldwide in 3 years. The Xbox One comparatively sold 26M in the same time, and the 3DS sold 60M in 6 years. Somewhere between 30-60M for a new console through 4 years is probably going to be the new norm depending on how good the console is

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nintendo's brands are strong, but they would have to increase their sales significantly compared to what 3DS with all its multiple revisions and Wii U combined do to get that number.

And with the competition not slowing down, i feel like competing like that in the console space is a lot less optimistic than this. They aren't going to sell THAT many off of first party an Nintendo affiliated Japanese third party sales alone

killroy87

Once they start taking big franchises from 3DS and putting them on Switch, that makes perfect sense.

Anyone who thinks a dumb online system is enough to make people not want Pokemon is truly naive.

crpav

That's quite a number...

First off needs a pack in game. 1-2 switch should not be sold separately. End of discussion on that. Wii had Wii Sports and that was a great game to be bundled with the system. Can't recall if the original Wii U had Nintendoland or not but eventually the system came bundled with games worth it.

They then need games upon games. Metroid, Metroidvania style games of both Metroid and Castelvania, good RPGs, more Mario, another Eternal Darkness and much more. Pump them out!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

A large part of GAF also thought the 3DS would flop due to no second stick. Don't even get me started on the Vita TV.

True Fire

399 Canadian dollars.

Our economy is going to die with NAFTA, which could happen any day now thanks to Trump sacrificing Canada to destroy Mexico's economy.

I'm expecting Switch to bomb in Canada.

NeoGAF isn't exactly the indicator of as to how many people are buying console hardware. This is a community based on a smaller hardcore base.

Top Bottom