• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindustry: Red Steel 2 confirmed and it will use Wii Motionplus

lancubap

Sorry if old. The original story: Link to the article

Gamesindustry said:
Ubisoft embraces Wii MotionPlus for Red Steel sequel

Ubisoft is one of the first publishers to confirm the use of the Wii MotionPlus peripheral to improve the execution of its core Wii titles.

Adopting the tech for the sequel to Red Steel, Alain Corre, Ubisoft's executive director, has said the improvement of 3D motions will help the sequel achieve the ambitious gameplay attempted in the first game.

"Red Steel 2 has been in development for many months now, and this new device will help us be even more precise in what we do with the product," said Corre, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

The original Red Steel was released on the same day the Wii launched in Europe, and attempted to mimic the users' movements for gunplay and hand-to-hand combat, but was criticised for a lack of sensitivity.

Corre believes that the Wii technology wasn't finished at the time of launch, but the recent announcement by Nintendo that the MotionPlus add-on will track true 1:1 responsive movement will allow the development team to realise its ambitions.

"The Red Steel brand is strong - I think we released it on year one, and that people understood that it was a first try on new technology, technology that wasn't completely finished. And our game tried to grab the best out of it, and was a bit rushed to be sure to offer something in year one to Wii consumers," he added.

"So Red Steel is a brand, and as with every brand we have, we now have to reach the top quality possible. What was missing was the preciseness of the sabre - and with this new device I think it will change the experience."

Ubisoft is one of the few third-party publishers to see considerable sales success on the Wii, and Corre puts that success down to the amount of time spent on developing games for the unique home console, compared to competitors.

"When you make a great game, you need more than one year of development," offered Corre.

"A lot of games are made in less than a year, but they're not great products and they're not selling at all. So it takes some time to develop good games. This year we're coming with Shaun White, which we've developed over 18 months, and the same for Rayman 3.

"I think these two games can be in the top ten of the Wii charts at Christmas again, and there will also be new Wii games announced soon - more games dedicated to capturing this new audience," he concluded.

Voilà. More if happens. Discuss!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Red Steel 2 still exists? :lol

Oh Ubisoft, why do you invest in such crap?

The Tetsuo's Games level in Red Steel 1 is all kinds of awesome.

I actually think Red Steel 1 is a pretty decent game. I just made the mistake of paying full price for it.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
jj984jj said:

Oh Ubisoft, why do you invest in such crap.

I can easily say I've played worse FPS games. And if they can actually fix the issues, then it could be a very good game. (Red Steel did have it's moments, and did show some promise, but the launch rush hurt it a lot.)

Wallach

jj984jj said:

Oh Ubisoft, why do you invest in such crap?

Well, they did sell over a million units of the first one.

I think accomplishing the same with the second one would be a pretty big feat, but they may get lucky twice if they're one of the first to market with the MotionPlus thing.

Jammy

Banned
Well, it's good to see confirmation, especially with the MotionPlus.

EDIT: People shouldn't be laughing. People still are hyped over Killzone 2 after a mediocre first entry. Just look at how things can change.

EDIT 2: Then again, it IS Ubi-Soft.

I think these two games can be in the top ten of the Wii charts at Christmas again, and there will also be new Wii games announced soon - more games dedicated to capturing this new audience," he concluded.

Interesting part. Which game could be?

fresquito

Sad to see Ubisoft thinking their game wasn't good because the unfinished tecnology. It was bad because it was poorly executed and rushed.

COntrols were really bad, and it wasn't only a problem with swords. In fact the biggest problem was the aiming, that was really bad.

Good news.

Here's a good video showcasing the possibilities of WiiMotion+ (skip right to the end sequence if you aren't interested in how accelerometers and gyroscopes work). I'm still sceptical if 1:1 would really work from a gameplay perspective but then again WS:R swordfighting did look pretty cool. Since RS is also FP it could work out in the end...then again it's UbiSoft.

Ysiadmihi said:
Red Steel would have been pretty damn good with good controls. I've got high hopes for htis.
It was pretty glitchy on top of the control problems but I always thought it was a pretty decent game for what it is (launch game with obvious time constraints). While having the better controls overall (minus the actions and the god-awful driving sequences), CoD3 was by far the worse game of the two.

Fix the control hitches, give it more time for bug-fixing, give it a good multiplayer mode and I'd be pretty much looking forward to it.

Red Steel actually had a bit going for it, but whatever good there was, was overhshadowed by countless bugs and control issues. There was a severe lack of polish evident, which was clearly onset by the rush for launch. But it wasn't all bad. It had a lot of fun and engaging moments, a good atmosphere and some solid visuals at times, as well as a brilliant soundtrack.

There's a big chance for Ubisoft to do well with Red Steel. The first sold over a million despite poor word of mouth. There's clearly a strong market for this type of game on Wii, and Ubisoft just need to deliver this time around.

Of course, with Ubi being so shite on Wii, I don't have much hope.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Now all they have to do is change the ridiculous story and make the rest of the game not suck!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
_Alkaline_ said:
Of course, with Ubi being so shite on Wii, I don't have much hope.

can`t compare a red steel 2 to other casual games or ports they put out - really... red steel 2 could be a blockbuster on wii - they changed the dev-team , right ? And this Time they won`t rush it and release it too early... i expect red steel 2 fall/holiday season 09...

cw_sasuke said:
can`t compare a red steel 2 to other casual games or ports they put out - really... red steel 2 could be a blockbuster on wii - they changed the dev-team , right ? And this Time they won`t rush it and release it too early... i expect red steel 2 fall/holiday season 09...

Well, on the positive side, Red Steel 2 doesn't seem to be nearly as rushed as the original was. There was some rumblings that development of the game was going poorly, and that the game changed dev teams. Here's hoping that decision results in a much better game.

Sagitario

Ubisoft is one of the few third-party publishers to see considerable sales success on the Wii, and Corre puts that success down to the amount of time spent on developing games for the unique home console, compared to competitors.

rolleyes-4bbvdfg2t.jpeg

Right...

m3k

horsez funds red steel sequel.

all jokes aside it gives them a bit of room for redeeming their shovel ware... the first did sell a milli so well, it was inevitable

Arde5643

So for Red Steel 2 in order to make it really successful, they only really need to do two things that cause the first game to be so unplayable:

1) Steal the aiming system and adjustments from Conduit or MOHH2
2) Steal the sword fighting system from Wii SwordFight.

Taa-daa! Insane sales assured!

"When you make a great game, you need more than one year of development," offered Corre.

"A lot of games are made in less than a year, but they're not great products and they're not selling at all. So it takes some time to develop good games.

It's true irony that an UbiSoft employee is saying this. Cut the Animalz and Imagine line Ubi.

sp0rsk said:
Now all they have to do is change the ridiculous story and make the rest of the game not suck!

The ridiculous story / atmosphere really gave that game its charm. Don't change that.

Anyway, great news that they're supporting Wii Motion Plus. Going from the shaky (but surprisingly effective) gesture-based swordplay to - presumably - Wii Motion Plus supported motion recognition will be awesome.

They'll undoubtedly fix those weird camera glitches that pretty much singlehandedly spoiled Red Steel. I found it to be a very enjoyable game, and more importantly, a very fresh unique experience, once I learned to just adapt to the shitty IR glitches.

Nintaiyo

Still not expecting much...not because I don't believe that it could be good, but so that I'm not disappointed if it does suck.

Kevtones said:
People should go back and play Red Steel. The controls are much better than I remember.

Fun game.

The controls actually turn the game from mediocre to an enjoyable experience. They were fun and really brought you into the experience. They are pretty glitchy though, and FPS controls on Wii have been improved substantially since the game came out. If the game copies The Conduit's aiming whilst massively improving the sword controls, it will go a long way to making the game what the original Red Steel should have been.

big_z

Red SteelZ

well ubi got he nintendo like controls idea down now lets see them figure out the quality part.

KevinCow

Banned
Kevtones said:
People should go back and play Red Steel. The controls are much better than I remember.
I had the opposite experience. I enjoyed it around launch mainly for the controls. But after playing games with far more responsive pointer controls, and especially after playing Metroid Prime 3, the laggy cursor makes it really hard to play.

I somewhat enjoyed the first one for what it was at launch, and here and there I've pulled it out for multi-player sessions since it's only one of two Wii shooters with split-screen multi. But I'm not really getting my hopes up for this one.

I would love if they managed to surprise me and make this game what I imagined the first would be back before it came out. But I mean... Ubisoft + Wii? Yeah, probably not happening.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, I heard the new Red Steel game will look like this!

red-steel-20060928055015400.jpg

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034057886.jpg

Oh wait a minute...

Maybe it's because i'm an optimist by nature, but I feel Ubi has something to prove with Red Steel 2, so i'm betting that at the very least it won't suck abysmally like their other Wii games. (Low bar I know...)

I heard nobody complaining about Killzone 2 just because the first one was absolute crap, so why not give this second game in the series a chance to prove itself?

Top Bottom