• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: 10 Best Open World Shooters To Play Right Now

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Open-world shooters have the potential to deliver player vs. player, co-op, and single-player experiences at a scale no other video game genre can match. Seriously, one game on this list is set on a world-record-setting half-scale map of Europe. Let's find an open-world game that fits you.

Open-world shooters are the holy grail of games when done right. They can combine the scale of fantastic worlds or even galaxies with memorable characters, extensive gun customization, and combined arms warfare. They can also just be great places to mess around with friends for hundreds of hours. In this list, we're going to find a unique list of open-world shooters for players who like massive battles and PvP, players who want to survive the apocalypse with friends, and players that enjoy getting pulled into a vast single-player world. This list covers games on consoles including Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PS5, PC, and even game streaming platforms such as Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Our first stop will be the competitive scene, where we'll look at the reigning king of massive battles and combined arms: PlanetSide 2. We'll then have a look at a game that holds several Guinness World Records and is recognized as one of the first MMOFPS titles with WWII Online. We'll look at a game for the mil-sim crowd with Arma Reforger, a testbed for Arma 4. Then we'll check in on the game forever in development that is Star Citizen, which has been slowly adding ground combat at a galactic scale. For the cooperative crowd, we're examining the wild and dangerous Far Cry 6, pure Ubisoft formula Ghost Recon Wildlands, and the often overlooked but excellent zombie survival game State Of Decay 2. For the crowd that loves single-player experiences, we have worlds you can lose yourself in, like Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk 2077, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Let's go.

00:00 - 00:19 Intro
00:19 - 02:10 PlanetSide 2
02:10 - 03:33 Arma Reforger
03:33 - 04:45 World War II Online
04:45 - 05:58 Star Citizen
06:00 - 07:51 Far Cry 6
07:51 - 09:00 Ghost Recond Wildlands
09:00 - 10:06 State Of Decay 2
10:06 - 11:37 Metro Exodus
11:37 - 13:32 Cyberpunk 2077
13:32 - 14:59 Red Dead Redemption 2

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Slim pickings admittedly because of the genre, but god damn, Far Cry 6? Ghost Recon: Wildlands? These are middling video games at best, beyond bloated with zero soul. State of Decay 2... ugh. On the plus side Metro and RDR2 are decent and great respectively... but wow. That's definitely... a list.

Shubh_C63

Star Citizen has good shooting ? I didn't even knew this.

And Wildlands was an amazing copp shooter game cursed with Ubisodt bloat. Game is stupid big for its own good.

lefty1117

Gold Member
WW2 Online was amazing in the day and even then its graphics were dated. If only these guys could have gotten a huge cash infusion and a chance to make the game on a big budget. It had an awesome dynamic front line, air/tank/infantry combined arms. It was something else. Otherwise I would also agree that planetside 2 was excellent too and underrated

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not a bad list.

RDR2 is Goat material on PC, Metro Exodus is amazing as well.
I’m enjoying Far Cry 6, where the map is just enormous. Wild lands kicks ass, and Cyberpunk is decent.

State of Decay 2 wasn’t really my thing, even though I tried twice to get into it.

Haven’t bothered to play the others.

Surprised Just Cause didn’t land a spot.

Denton

While Cyberpunk and RDR2 are not really primarily "shooters", they are so good they might as well be on the list.

Metro Exodus, yes.

And Breakpoint with all its immersive features enabled is better than Wildlands.

i tried planetside on playstation once. it was dogshit.
Red dead 2 is not much of a shooter. The shooting controls were broken and didn't work for the first two years. I barely shoot anything in that game. Unlike the first Red Dead where i was shooting anything and everything. So i'd replace Red Dead 2 with GTA 5.

i tried Far Cry 5 recently so i would replace Far Cry 6 with that.

tbh like most of my list would be Ubisoft games. Breakpoint and both Division games would be on my list

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
04:45 - 05:58 Star Citizen

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

small_law

I wouldn't exactly call anything they say persuasive, let alone authoritative. It's kind of a shame. I want a site that is objective, serious, and trustworthy. But that shit all flew out the window over a decade ago.

Guilty_AI

1 - Maybe
2 - Too early
3 - Who
4 - In 10 15 20 years when its done
5 - No
6 - Maybe
7 - No
8 - Yes
9 - Yes
10- Eh, overrated but yes

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ghost Recon Wildlands should be #1 on a list called "Open world shooters".

Hell, Breakpoint should be #2.

Cyberpunk2077 and RDR2 aren't shooters.
RDR2 not so much, but CP2077 definitely is one.

Also, no MGSV automatically invalidates this list.
And ARMA Reforger instead of Arma 3? Seriously?

Last edited:

Rykan

Looks like Gamespot needs some easy views again. Time for another random top 10 list. Easy money.

ZehDon

Gold Member
What the hell is this list?

Does Destiny 2 not qualify as an open world shooter? Where is Dying Light? Star Citizen's inclusion is... a choice.

However, I do agree with Halo Infinite not being on the list. So, there's that.

Gambit2483

Star Citizen has good shooting ? I didn't even knew this.

And Wildlands was an amazing copp shooter game cursed with Ubisodt bloat. Game is stupid big for its own good.
Almost all recent Ubisoft open world games are stupid big for their own good.

I bet the average completion for any open world Ubisoft game is 10% (or less)

Ghost Recon Wildlands for Top 10 open world shooters list is correct, it's very good at open world traverse freedom one of the reasons it sold well hopefully Ubisoft can turn around the series after Breakpoint.
Wildlands was some of the most fun online coop I have played. It's surprisingly robust how you can play it. from rambo to hardcore sim.

Apocryphon

What an utterly pathetic list 😂

Reforger is awful. ARMA 3 is a far better game.

Do The Division 2 and The Ascent not count as open world?

No MGS V? What? It's not the game it could have been but it's better than most of that list.

fermcr

Any video that mentions or makes publicity of Scam Citizen deserves to be banned.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
If Red Dead, then GTA should be on there, and Halo Infinite, Metal Gear Solid, Days Gone, Fallout, and Sunset Overdrive. Maybe even Red Faction Guerilla, and the original Rage. Maybe Mafia II.

Last edited:
I miss Planetside 1. It was so ahead of its time it’s ridiculous. It just needed location damage for its weapons, otherwise It was perfect. They just don’t make games like that anymore and it makes me sad.

Shubh_C63

What the hell is this list?

Does Destiny 2 not qualify as an open world shooter? Where is Dying Light? Star Citizen's inclusion is... a choice.
It shouldn't, I am a hardcore Destiny fan and its open world is dog shit. Division open world is waaay better.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have it on PC it's still a bad shooter. The controls are the only thing half decent. The AI and level/encounter design is so bad that the firefights feel very primitive.

They’re no different than any other shooter. I don’t get what the bolded even means in an open world FPS.
It’s bad how, and compared to what games exactly?

Ogbert

Am I missing something?

Why aren’t Destiny and the Division on this? They’re infinitely better than the named games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you mean?

I feel like the emphasis from those games isn't shooting.

RDR2 has absurd animation priority with lock on auto aiming.

Cyberpunk2077 has janky shooting with brain dead AI.

The strengths of those games are their setting, story, visual presentation...not really the shooting.

Just my opinion though.

Bragr

Banned
I feel like the emphasis from those games isn't shooting.

RDR2 has absurd animation priority with lock on auto aiming.

Cyberpunk2077 has janky shooting with brain dead AI.

The strengths of those games are their setting, story, visual presentation...not really the shooting.

Just my opinion though.
Well, sure but if it uses auto-aim or not, its core combat is still based on shooting.

Shooting isn't just FPS or run or gun, a game where you spend the majority of combat on shooting, is still a shooter. Even if it got RPG mechanics, Bioshock is still a shooter. Third-person shooters, RPG shooters, auto-aim shooters, lightgun shooters. They are all still games where shooting is the main combat system.

Something like Horizon is so based around melee that you can't call it a shooter, but anything that bases its main combat with guns, like Cyberpunk and Red Dead, is still primarily a shooter even if you don't like their shooting gameplay.

While not unexpected (as I know it's shit on Halo week), lol at not having Halo Infinite on that list. Probably one of the most pure open world first person shooters this gen. I know it's getting a ton of backlash for its expected and future content failures, but the campaign, even in its current state, is still more fun to play than most. If we're knocking Halo because of future content, most of the games on that list are not even providing future content... And then there is Star Citizen... Including a game that is not finished and might not ever be, and has been in development longer and had more money wasted on it than even Halo. Makes sense.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

2022 brought us a solid handful of compelling open world games on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One and Nintendo Switch.

0:00 intro
0:16 V Rising
1:23 Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
2:14 Sonic Frontiers
3:27 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
4:26 NFS UNBOUND
5:13 Slime Rancher 2
6:07 GhostWire Tokyo
7:02 Dying Light 2: Stay Human
8:11 Horizon Forbidden West
9:15 Elden Ring

10 V Rising

Platform : PC

Release Date : 17 May, 2022

9 Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S

Release Date : October 25, 2022

8 Sonic Frontiers

Platform : PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One XSX|S Switch

Release Date : November 8, 2022

7 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Platform : XSX|S Switch PC PS4 PS5 Xbox One

Release Date : 5 April 2022

6 NFS UNBOUND

Platform : PC PS5 XSX|S

Release Date : December 2, 2022

5 Slime Rancher 2

Platform : PC XSX|S

Release Date : September 22, 2022

4 GhostWire Tokyo

Platform : PC PS5

Release Date : March 25, 2022

3 Dying Light 2: Stay Human

Release Date : February 4, 2022

2 Horizon Forbidden West

Platform : PS4 PS5

Release Date : February 18, 2022

1 Elden Ring

Release Date : February 25, 2022

Bonus :-

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered

Release Date : 12 August. 2022

God of War: Ragnarok
Platform : PS4 PS5

Choo-Choo Charles

Release Date : December 9, 2022

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Platform : Switch

Release Date : July 29, 2022

WW2 Online was amazing in the day and even then its graphics were dated. If only these guys could have gotten a huge cash infusion and a chance to make the game on a big budget. It had an awesome dynamic front line, air/tank/infantry combined arms. It was something else. Otherwise I would also agree that planetside 2 was excellent too and underrated
theyre remaking it on unreal engine 5 now.

k_trout

Generation Zero gets no love, not only my favourite open world shooter by far, one of the most enjoyable shooters I have played

Top Bottom