• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

El Odio

Banned
If anyone's thinking of importing, Kiranico's MHXX database gives a good idea of what to expect. Some things might be navigable by their icons, but there's a lot of names for a lot of different things and trying to craft anything by translating back-and-forth in order to start looking for what you need is sure to be a huge pain in the ass.
I mean, the biggest issue for me isn't so much text translation but rather after spending+200hrs in generations I have absolutely no desire to start over from the beginning since there's no save transfer from gen to XX.

If anyone's thinking of importing, Kiranico's MHXX database gives a good idea of what to expect. Some things might be navigable by their icons, but there's a lot of names for a lot of different things and trying to craft anything by translating back-and-forth in order to start looking for what you need is sure to be a huge pain in the ass.

I've played enough MH and specifically Gen 4 that I would be able to navigate fine as far as crafting and armour is concerned. But not a chance in hell I can tolerate having a database open for armour and gem abilities rhrough a huge ass list of charms. Fuck that.

If it's your first MH do not do this to yourself.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
No cross platform play is also going to suck because inevitably you will have friends who own this game on a different platform than you. Can't play together due to lack of cross platform.

Camjo-Z

Do we have any sources for this? I know it's not the first time Capcom has failed to localize an MH game, but I didn't follow those stories back then. Not doubting you, mind you, but I'd need the exact quotes to see if this is a similar situation. This latest tweet really bugs me. It seems too carefully phrased. Something's going on.

Digging through the Capcom Unity forums is a nightmare so best I can manage is this Facebook post on Google.

September 25, 2013

Hey hunters! We've seen many of you ask for us to #BRINGMH4TOTHEWEST. We're excited to see the fan base growing and you all showing your passion, keep it coming! We are continuing to evaluate new Monster Hunter titles for the west, and will share any new information with you here on Facebook as soon as we have it..

In hindsight we know they were only about 4 months away from an announcement of a 2015 MH4G localization (which in and of itself was still annoyingly late as MH4 had been announced for Japan back in September 2011 and released two weeks before the Facebook post). Both of these statements ultimately say nothing, but note the far more positive tone of this post compared to yesterday's flat "we have not announced any plans at this time".

tuffy

I mean, the biggest issue for me isn't so much text translation but rather after spending+200hrs in generations I have absolutely no desire to start over from the beginning since there's no save transfer from gen to XX.
I'm with you on that, too. I spent a ton of time crafting weapons and armor sets and checking off all those low rank gathering quests, so that's another huge deterrent to going the import route.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Digging through the Capcom Unity forums is a nightmare so best I can manage is this Facebook post on Google.

In hindsight we know they were only about 4 months away from an announcement of a 2015 MH4G localization (which in and of itself was still annoyingly late as MH4 had been announced for Japan back in September 2011 and released two weeks before the Facebook post). Both of these statements ultimately say nothing, but note the far more positive tone of this post compared to yesterday's flat "we have not announced any plans at this time".

Thanks for the digging work. Yeah, that particular quote doesn't really help one way or the other I'm afraid :/.

I still think the update tweet is too oddly-phrased for it to simply be a case of Capcom sucking at PR and having no intentions of bringing the game over. To be honest, I'm usually much more wary of statements like the one you quoted, which isn't that different from "we'll see based on fan feedback", which never pans out. Unnaturally cautious/damage-control-ey statements, however, are what I find fishy and potentially unofficial good news, if that makes any sense.

Eolz

I hope that more publications other than gamespot will keep asking them over the next month if their localization plans changed or not.

The meltdowns over the past few days are going to look real stupid when Capcom continue to support Switch with more MH titles. If Capcom aren't interested in localising MHXX right now, as painful as that is, doesn't mean they're doing it to spite you.

Looking forward to seeing more Japan only MonHun games for sure...

Capcom is looking stupid for being unable to deliver a clear message.
Incompetence

This.
It's not even limited to MH, look at SFV's schedule still being a mystery, MvC's issues, AA's treatment in the west and countless other communication issues.

Having had a lot more time to think MHW through, I think it makes more sense if you consider when the project was greenlit, around 2013 or 2014.

The Western dedicated handheld market was clearly in decline, and MH4 hadn't even launched outside Japan, so it wasn't clear how much longer the series would be viable on 3DS in the West. PS4 hadn't launched or had only just launched in Japan, so it wasn't clear how badly it would founder there. NX hadn't even been talked about, and it wasn't clear at the time whether it would be successful or how easily it would fit into the PS4/XB1/PC development ecosystem (and to be frank, the latter still isn't entirely clear).

I don't think it was the smartest possible move and I strongly doubt MHW will meet Capcom's sales expectations, but I think it's at least somewhat understandable without the benefit of hindsight.

If MHW meets their expectations, the MHW series will continue. If it doesn't, they'll probably just bring future Switch releases multiplatform. Either way, the franchise will continue on Switch in some form.

Not localizing MHXX really would be indefensible, though, and people are right to be upset about it.

HeeHo

The meltdowns over the past few days are going to look real stupid when Capcom continue to support Switch with more MH titles. If Capcom aren't interested in localising MHXX right now, as painful as that is, doesn't mean they're doing it to spite you.

This has been my mindset from the start. The reactions are extremely dramatic about this.

Perhaps Capcom cannot announce XX for the west because they have some deal with Nintendo and it's not really theirs to announce?

Some of you guys are interpreting Capcom's messaging in some negative, twisted ways. The polite thing to do in customer service is to offer an alternative when you cannot supply with something initially. Just because Capcom mentioned Worlds after saying they had no plans at the moment for XX does not mean they are spitting in your face about how XX will never come to the west. Yikes.

This has been my mindset from the start. The reactions are extremely dramatic about this.

Perhaps Capcom cannot announce XX for the west because they have some deal with Nintendo and it's not really theirs to announce?

Some of you guys are interpreting Capcom's messaging in some negative, twisted ways. The polite thing to do in customer service is to offer an alternative when you cannot supply with something initially. Just because Capcom mentioned Worlds after saying they had no plans at the moment for XX does not mean they are spitting in your face about how XX will never come to the west. Yikes.

It's not coming, and the messaging is clear on that.

Parshias7

Why would Nintendo want all the attention at E3 to be on a Monster Hunter game that isn't coming to their console?

I'm sure we'll be getting news about MHP3rd any day now. Maybe once MHW is out Capcom will finally be ready to talk about that one.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds like more excuses to me. They have given no indication that it is coming or that Nintendo is forcing them to be hush on this game. Knowing history, I don't know why some are so eager to give Capcpm the benefit of the doubt when they've abandoned many a fanbase before.

No more assumptions, only the reality that I'm given as a consumer.

Its a bummer

Was looking forward to XX on Switch to pass the time till MHW hits

But Im not overly sour. I had tons of hours on Gen and I have to say.... being off 3DS is gonna be a dream

I just wish that dream also extended to Switch

Even Nintendo is making WAAAYY to many exclusive 3DS games right now. I blame them entirely for all of this

I feel for you guys that are burnt by this. As a Vita owner I had to swallow a hard ass pill for 6 years

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Its a bummer

But Im not overly sour. I had tons of hours on Gen and I have to say.... being off 3DS is gonna be a dream

Even Nintendo is making WAAAYY to many exclusive 3DS games right now. I blame them entirely for all of this

I feel for you guys that are burnt by this. As a Vita owner I had to swallow a hard ass pill for 6 years
Not the same scenario. There was no Vita MH. This is the case akin to later PSP Monster Hunter titles where Capcom couldn't be bothered to localize them.

I'm cautiously interested in MHW, but I want to know what Generations additions besides Prowler that I'm losing for this title, and holding out to see how much content it'll have, otherwise I'll wait for its "Ultimate" edition.

Anyways, losing portability is a huge bludgeon to me.

Nanashrew

Banned
I hope that more publications other than gamespot will keep asking them over the next month if their localization plans changed or not.

Looking forward to seeing more Japan only MonHun games for sure...

This.
It's not even limited to MH, look at SFV's schedule still being a mystery, MvC's issues, AA's treatment in the west and countless other communication issues.

Yeah, Capcom's management has been so awful.

Don't forget the new studio they created with MH money to get into the mobile business so the company could be more sustainable. They produced flop after flop.

lyrick

IMPORT NeoGAF:

So will this be the "first big" title fans outside of Japan in the United States, UK, etc will have to import since the Switch is region free? And is this the kind of game where you'll need localization or can people "find their way through it"? Cheers!

I started working through Kanji flashcards this morning.

I probably should have started this back in 2010.

Not the same scenario. There was no Vita MH. This is the case akin to later PSP Monster Hunter titles where Capcom couldn't be bothered to localize them.

Not even that. MHP3 was never in any kind of English and the platform it was on was dead as hell. It still suckes all kinds of ass though.

This situation is fucking trash however. Release the base version but leave the expansion unlocalized on platforms that more than make up their localization budget? Trash company.

Nanashrew

Banned

Most of the titles are by smaller teams and Metroid 3DS is a remake. Most of their big teams are working on Switch, even a mainline Pokemon, a handheld only series will be coming to the Switch.

HeeHo

Sounds like more excuses to me. They have given no indication that it is coming or that Nintendo is forcing them to be hush on this game. Knowing history, I don't know why some are so eager to give Capcpm the benefit of the doubt when they've abandoned many a fanbase before.

No more assumptions, only the reality that I'm given as a consumer.

Yeah, but haven't they really only abandoned series that weren't really selling that well in the west? Generations doesn't really have that problem.

Why would Nintendo want all the attention at E3 to be on a Monster Hunter game that isn't coming to their console?

I'm sure we'll be getting news about MHP3rd any day now. Maybe once MHW is out Capcom will finally be ready to talk about that one.

I don't know jack about how videogame business deals actually work but maybe they want to build momentum with the brand and have a localized version of XX announced slightly later? Maybe that is all part of a hypothetical deal.

It's not coming, and the messaging is clear on that.
Doesn't seem as a definitive 'never' to me as it does to you.

Maybe I'm just naive about how Capcom really is. It just seems like too much potential money to ignore to me.

Capcom uses their Local Western Branches to localize or do they still sub out to contractors like 8-4?

Maybe a bit of both?

I can only think that the priority of localizing XX for Switch was shot down the list because:

- MHW was in dev for 4 years already and part of a preexisting plan for their lineup BEFORE Switch came on the scene

- The resources they use to localize for MH only do one project at a time so once Gen was finished for 3DS they all moved on the MHW.

Still a shame they couldnt at least coax Nintendo into stepping in and helping. I wonder what the story is here

Is it just because its a Switch game and Capcom doesnt want to go all in yet?

Most of the titles are by smaller teams and Metroid 3DS is a remake. Most of their big teams are working on Switch, even a mainline Pokemon, a handheld only series will be coming to the Switch.

I just wished the whole "Unified Platform" future was already here. At the very least I expected more Cross Gen titles. As it is now Capcom JP are the only ones to make one

Its irritating to have such a huge pile of great titles marooned on 3DS

Meesh

It most certainly is painful. But I imported 4 before I got 4U, imported Cross before Generations, and imported Portable Third... I'll keep the silly tradition alive and import Double Cross if I have to. Thanks for the heads up in the data base, cheers!

Edit: Someone should flood Reggie with tweets and ask if Nintendo's willing to step in and localize this thing.

I don't know jack about how videogame business deals actually work but maybe they want to build momentum with the brand and have a localized version of XX announced slightly later? Maybe that is all part of a hypothetical deal.

Maybe I'm just naive about how Capcom really is. It just seems like too much potential money to ignore to me.

All the momentum Monster Hunter has in the US right now is from the last few games that were released on Nintendo platforms. I'm not saying I want MHW ported to Switch, but MHXX is mostly translated and Capcom basically shoving it aside and being all "Please be excited" for MHW is doing nothing but aggravating large swaths of the fan base they spent so much time cultivating.

Am I sold on MHW? No. Would I have given it a chance? Absolutely. Will I give it a chance now that Capcom is telling me the game I actually want isn't good enough to get localized? Nope.

It most certainly is painful. But I imported 4 before I got 4U, imported Cross before Generations, and imported Portable Third... I'll keep the silly tradition alive and import Double Cross if I have to. Thanks for the heads up in the data base, cheers!

Edit: Someone should flood Reggie with tweets and ask if Nintendo's willing to step in and localize this thing.

I agree about letting Reggie know and asking even though it isn't their game. I mentioned it one of these threads that I would hope he would be asked about it in an interview during E3. Just so they have an idea that Nintendo fans want more of this franchise. I wonder if any of the backlash has made it's way back to him.

No cross platform play is also going to suck because inevitably you will have friends who own this game on a different platform than you. Can't play together due to lack of cross platform.

At least PC is a pretty Ubiquitous platform?

I wonder why you couldnt do cross platform with PC/Xbone

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
At least PC is a pretty Ubiquitous platform?

I wonder why you couldnt do cross platform with PC/Xbone

It would probably piss-off Sony, and they do seem some kind of a deal with them (not the 4cah stuff, but we do have confirmation of exclusive content and there seems to be a marketing accord).

Thoraxes

I'm seeing people say "I'm not gonna buy Worlds because XX isn't getting localized". That is the dumbest thing ever. Like, this series is on the fence when it comes to localization, clearly. Don't be pissed when Worlds 2 doesn't come out.

Well, those consoles are region free. You could always import like i'm doing with XX on Switch.

I'm not gonna get anything Capcom USA puts out anymore till they release XX in the west.
Kinda feels that way considering they seemed to well know the name of the PS4 game about a week in advance

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239245185&postcount=138
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239259903&postcount=339
Too bad we don't have Bish to verify people anymore to avoid stuff like this.

Vena

It would probably piss-off Sony, and they do seem some kind of a deal with them (not the 4cah stuff, but we do have confirmation of exclusive content and there seems to be a marketing accord).

That's only going to keep feeding the 4chan rumor.

Having had a lot more time to think MHW through, I think it makes more sense if you consider when the project was greenlit, around 2013 or 2014.

The Western dedicated handheld market was clearly in decline, and MH4 hadn't even launched outside Japan, so it wasn't clear how much longer the series would be viable on 3DS in the West. PS4 hadn't launched or had only just launched in Japan, so it wasn't clear how badly it would founder there. NX hadn't even been talked about, and it wasn't clear at the time whether it would be successful or how easily it would fit into the PS4/XB1/PC development ecosystem (and to be frank, the latter still isn't entirely clear).

I don't think it was the smartest possible move and I strongly doubt MHW will meet Capcom's sales expectations, but I think it's at least somewhat understandable without the benefit of hindsight.

If MHW meets their expectations, the MHW series will continue. If it doesn't, they'll probably just bring future Switch releases multiplatform. Either way, the franchise will continue on Switch in some form.

Not localizing MHXX really would be indefensible, though, and people are right to be upset about it.

I agree with this and said as much in the Capcom E3 thread from Jawmuncher.

Eolz

Its a bummer

Hey you're back!
Honestly I wouldn't mind if XX was Switch only in the west, it would make sense for long term plans and force some people to transition.

My main issue with this whole thing is that there's no portable MonHun in the west going forward, not even a one time thing like 3U on WiiU didn't lead to 4U there for example.
Capcom localizing this after World would be too late, and if the latter is a success, well...

Hmm maybe there will be a portable PC option thats powerful enough to run the game someday

Is Smach Z still a thing?

GPD Win is making a mini pc though it doesnt have built in controls... I dunno

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm maybe there will be a portable PC option thats powerful enough to run the game someday

Tegra X3 should be coming out sooner or later. Maybe a year or two?

Sony could use it for a Vita 2. It'd be twice as powerful as a Switch and should be able to run it.

Good post.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

The new GPD UMPC has the same chip than the GPDWin. It might be able to run nevertheless, though :p. Also, GPD is on the very early stages (as in considering) of developing a GPDWin with a Core M sock. That would have much better odds of running the PC sku with acceptable performance.

Using the SW as point of reference, both have stronger CPU, but the Core M should be by a considerable margin, and also stronger than the Ps4Pro. On the GPU department, the current GPDWin is weaker than the switch undocked by a good marging, while the Core M should approach the Switch in docked mode.

Tegra X3 should be coming out sooner or later. Maybe a year or two?

Sony could use it for a Vita 2. It'd be twice as powerful as a Switch and should be able to run it.
Come on dude. I know you are here to troll, but just let me point out that no, any hypothetical PSP3 has zero chance of running the PC version of MHW,

Skyzard

Banned
Come on dude. I know you are here to troll, but just let me point out that no, any hypothetical PSP3 has zero chance of running the PC version of MHW,

The tegra X3 will have 512 gpu cores. For reference, Switch, with x1, has 256.

Tell me more how it'd be impossible to get a MH:W running on the x3.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The tegra X3 will have 512 gpu cores. For reference, Switch has 256.

Tell me more how it'd be impossible to get a MH:W running.

There's no PSP3. And the poster you are quoting is asking about running the PC version, so an imaginary Surface Xbox is more relevant than an imaginary PSP3.

Skyzard

Banned
There's no PSP3. And the poster you are quoting is asking about running the PC version, so an imaginary Surface Xbox is more relevant than an imaginary PSP3.

It should go without saying that nothing will run the exact same version to any decent level. GPD win struggles in much simpler games.

The upcoming Tegra X3 might actually handle a port though. It will be suitable for handhelds. And a dedicated gaming device would have a better chance of running it.

membran

So, E3 has come and gone. Nintendo didn't make a surprise announcement on Treehouse, as some had speculated. With MH World taking the spotlight, MH Stories already occupying the fall release window and without any promotional push for MH:XX for the West (which basically would require a release of both 3DS and Switch versions) in sight... is now the time to finally give up on it, then?

Man, I don't want to play this in Japanese.

Top Bottom