• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: PlayStation 4 will work with Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port

satam55

Banned
PlayStation 4 will work with Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port
September 20, 2013 12:58AM PDT By Peter Brown, Editor
Users will be able to access the PlayStation 4's video signal through the Xbox One dashboard.

The Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port will support "any HDMI device", including the PlayStation 4, Microsoft confirmed during its presentation at the Tokyo Game Show.

During the presentation, Xbox senior director of product management and planning Albert Panello received a question regarding the Xbox One's ability to support video feed from the PlayStation 4, which he did not respond to directly.

Later in the presentation, when Panello discussed the Xbox One's ability to snap applications to the side of the screen during gameplay, he said "any application can be snapped to a game…this could be the live TV feed, so if you wanted to be playing Ryse and Killzone at the same time, you could snap that."

Killzone is a first-person shooter series exclusive to Sony consoles. The newest entry to the series, Killzone: Shadow Fall, is an upcoming PlayStation 4-exclusive title.

The confirmation from Microsoft that the Xbox One will not block the PlayStation 4's video signal comes shortly after Sony revealed that it will not prevent users from capturing video from the PlayStation 4's HDMI port.

The Xbox One is scheduled for launch in North America, most European markets, Australia, and New Zealand on November 22 this year, with follow-up releases in Japan and the remaining European markets in 2014.

http://www.gamespot.com/tgs/playstation-4-will-work-with-xbox-ones-hdmi-pass-through-port-6414735/
Hmmm....

If they don't offer anything to X360 owners hooking it up to the new system, I'll likely be doing just this since my game room television isn't connected to a cable or satellite box currently. Will make switching out nice and easy. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to extend X1 controller input to the HDMI-in non-OneGuide-interfaced device, like playing PS4 games with the X1 controller. Still wish they'd do that for X360 connected.

Pretty neat, but I wonder if it will add any input lag.

At full-screen, I hope not. I could imagine overlays and snapped use to impose a small delay, though. At least, this way, I can play PS4 games and get my XBL notifications on the same screen when I'm waiting on friends to play something together.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
didn't realise you could snap live TV. I guess that means they're processing it rather than simply passing it through for overlay - so would that add lag to the image? Not a big deal for TV but could be if you pass a console through it.

Waaghals

There will probably be some additional input lag, but that's only to be expected.
It was designed with TV in mind, not connecting another console.

ShapeGSX

It's a pass through, so the likelihood of any lag is real low, unless they fucked up real bad.

It isn't just a passthrough. It can overlay and modify the HDMI input stream before it sends it out. At the very least, we're talking 1 frame of delay, but I suspect it will be more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that is really really fucking awesome for multi-console owners

ShapeGSX

I'll be plugging in my DirecTV box. Frankly, I'm just happy that the XBox One won't take up another HDMI input on my TV or receiver. It will just replace the DirecTV input.

It isn't just a passthrough. It can overlay and modify the HDMI input stream before it sends it out. At the very least, we're talking 1 frame of delay, but I suspect it will be more.

Yeah, it's gonna be a fucking slideshow

It's a damn video feed. Any overlays and such can easily be done without affecting the actual feed itself. And modify? So I'm going to be able to add video filters to my PS4?! :p

console fanboys are at each other's throats, while both consoles are just making sweet love in the entertainment room. xbone is the catcher it seems

crinale

Then...

1. Connect TVita's HDMI out to Xbox One so you can play Vita and PSP games.
2. Have PS4 stream to TVita so you can play PS4 games.
3. When Gaikai service starts then you can play PS3 games.

Now you have a console that can play PSP/V/3/4 and Xbox One game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I could run an HDMI switcher and run literally everything through my Xbox One?

I wish MS had built in 2-3 HDMI inputs. If they want "one box" to rule them all that seems a better strategy.

So, I could run an HDMI switcher and run literally everything through my Xbox One?

I wish MS had built in 2-3 HDMI inputs. If they want "one box" to rule them all that seems a better strategy.

Do HDMI switch boxes have remote control or extend CEC to a host device themselves to control? Or do they switch to active signals automatically if a new one is connected and powered while others are? I haven't thought much about switchboxes for HDMI since my television and receiver takes all of connections. Would be supremely convenient if possible.

Lesiroth

Then...

1. Connect TVita's HDMI out to Xbox One so you can play Vita and PSP games.
2. Have PS4 stream to TVita so you can play PS4 games.
3. When Gaikai service starts then you can play PS3 games.

Now you have a console that can play PSP/V/3/4 and Xbox One game.

Only for the low price of $999

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Do HDMI switch boxes have remote control or extend CEC to a host device themselves to control? Or do they switch to active signals automatically if a new one is connected and powered while others are? I haven't thought much about switchboxes for HDMI since my television and receiver takes all of connections. Would be supremely convenient if possible.

I have an HDMI switcher that has both an auto function and an IR switch that you can do manullay.

The question becomes how much control MS will give to their IR blaster. Can I program it like my Harmony? My guess is no, but if MS really wants to take over the living room the answer should be yet.

IT Slave

Banned
This sounds strangely homoerotic. Consoles aren't supposed to be plugging into other consoles. It's wrong. God created consoles to plug into TVs and receivers, not each other.

This is going to cause seriously negative unintended consequences.

jhendrix

Banned
As funny as this is if the TV stuff isn't mind blowing this is what I'm going to do. Plug my PS4 into my Xbox one and have a single input and interface for gaming.

model13

This sounds strangely homoerotic. Consoles aren't supposed to be plugging into other consoles. It's wrong. God created consoles to plug into TVs and receivers, not each other.

This is going to cause seriously negative unintended consequences.
Free your mind of bigotry. You dont want to be on the wrong side of history.

I have an HTPC that Im trying to figure out if its worth plugging into the X1. If you could somehow add advanced voice commands that could interact with the HTPCs IR sensor that would be amazing. However I completely doubt this could happen.

More on topic, would anyone actually plug a PS4 into a X1 other than as a joke? I cant see the benefit unless you have a shortages of HDMI ports on your tv.

Ephemeris

Not surprised?

And of course I'm connecting my PS4 to the X1 on day one.

Okay, maybe for just that one time, but still.

Top Bottom