• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: PlayStation 4 will work with Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
So what I'm reading here is that in Japan, Microsoft is going to use the PS4 as a selling point for the Xbox One. BRILLIANT!

ShapeGSX

Yeah, it's gonna be a fucking slideshow

It's a damn video feed. Any overlays and such can easily be done without affecting the actual feed itself. And modify? So I'm going to be able to add video filters to my PS4?! :p

It will also be shrinking the HDMI input video down to provide the snap functionality. This is not a simple passthrough.

I didn't say it would be a slideshow. I said the video will likely be delayed slightly, which will mean it will lag slightly more.

Flatline

Banned
Or you could connect PS4 to the second HDMI input in your TV and make things much easier for you. What's the point of this?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
More on topic, would anyone actually plug a PS4 into a X1 other than as a joke? I cant see the benefit unless you have a shortages of HDMI ports on your tv.

It would allow you to get notifications for both consoles at once. I guess that would be cool. You could be waiting for a match to start on your Xbox One while playing PS4, then get a notification that the match is ready. I can think of a few benefits.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I would be surprised if the HDMI-In in the XBO doesn't add some considerable latency given all the processing that it does on that feed.

It will also be shrinking the HDMI input video down to provide the snap functionality. This is not a simple passthrough.

I didn't say it would be a slideshow. I said the video will likely be delayed slightly, which will mean it will lag slightly more.

I would be surprised if the HDMI-In in the XBO doesn't add some considerable latency given all the processing that it does on that feed.

We'll see after release, but I seriously doubt any lag will present itself to the user at all. I think it's being seriously overestimated how hard it is to process a video feed here. You can scale it down in software, but the feed itself can be clean as can be.

Also, this is basically their marquee feature. If they didn't get it right, shit goes wrong, real fast. Are we really saying they screwed it up? Gaming cap cards provide this exact feature with a lag-free experience, otherwise FGC people wouldn't fucking touch it. And you can do whatever the hell you want to the feed with those in Wirecast and such.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Perhaps we should as Albert what sort of latency the XB1 has on it's HDMI passthrough.

Shouldn't be classified information.

Going to send him a PM directing him to this thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do HDMI switch boxes have remote control or extend CEC to a host device themselves to control? Or do they switch to active signals automatically if a new one is connected and powered while others are? I haven't thought much about switchboxes for HDMI since my television and receiver takes all of connections. Would be supremely convenient if possible.

my receive does. My receiver has a HDMI switch built in, and my PS3 will go through the receiver and turn the TV on (and set the receiver to the correct HDMI input for it too)

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
You know call me crazy but even though everyone with a brain figured this was the case, it's still kind of cool to hear someone at MS admit it. It's also still kind of cool that you can do that.

DirtyLarry

Or you could connect PS4 to the second HDMI input in your TV and make things much easier for you. What's the point of this?
Some people, myself included, use their receiver to handle all components, and only have one OUT to the TV from the receiver. And that out is only passing the video image to the TV, all audio is handled through the receiver. My TV's speakers are totally disabled as a result.

So I could see this feature potentially being used by someone who may no longer have any inputs on their receiver, although as pointed out, there would more than likely be some lag. Also one could just at that point in time pick up an HDMI switch, which is what I have done for some of my less important components (Apple TV & OUYA are currently on a switch).

That is just one scenario that I can think of to explain "What's the point of this,", I am sure there are others.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Still seems redundant why would u want to have both consoles running at once consuming tons of power when ur only using. One.

my receive does. My receiver has a HDMI switch built in, and my PS3 will go through the receiver and turn the TV on (and set the receiver to the correct HDMI input for it too)

Oh, duh. I didn't think of that. Gonna hook up my new-ish receiver to the X1 pass-thru now and everything else directly into that. At least, that's the one thing really good about Wii U's LPCM/HDMI-only surround audio output forcing me to upgrade receivers. I hope this works as well as I imagine it will.

Alx

What kind of processing is done on that feed ? If it is only the picture-in-picture mode, it's hardly an expensive one. There will necessarily be some latency added, but there's no reason it should be that big.
I wouldn't use it for a "major" console, though, it's clearly better suited for non interactive streams (TV or a movie player).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh, duh. I didn't think of that. Gonna hook up my new-ish receiver to the X1 pass-thru now and everything else directly into that. At least, that's the one thing really good about Wii U's LPCM/HDMI-only surround audio output forcing me to upgrade receivers. I hope this works as well as I imagine it will.

but then what is your Xbox plugged into..?

I still haven't gotten my head around this. If you run everything into your receiver and then into the xbox, you can't run the xbox into the receiver.

I *think* I'd just run my DVR into the xbox and then into the receiver - keep it simple.

Cornbread78

we must go deeper.

That's what she said, lol:C'Mon It's Friday!

I bet it could, but would really have no purpose, other than having two disc based games running at the same time, so you could switch back and forth. Maybe with enough bandwith you could have 2 MP games going at once. 1 MMO grinding in the background and another playing CoD?

Still seems redundant why would u want to have both consoles running at once consuming tons of power when ur only using. One.

The pass-thru should run in very low-power/sleep mode unless you have both fully 'on'. Even then, when not playing a game or using a power-intensive app, X1 is supposed to run in other lower-power modes that go anywhere in-between off, lowest/sleep mode, and fully operating all of its internals. The point is, these new consoles both support multiple power states to conserve use.

but then what is your Xbox plugged into..?

I still haven't gotten my head around this. If you run everything into your receiver and then into the xbox, you can't run the xbox into the receiver.

I *think* I'd just run my DVR into the xbox and then into the receiver - keep it simple.

In this case, the X1 is connected directly to the display. Wouldn't it be able to send audio back through to the receiver?

I just want to make sure I understand 100%. So the XB1 streams the image of PS4 gameplay similar to how a PSP streams PS3 gameplay?

If this is the case, what are some practical uses of this feature aside from playing PS4 games on an Xbox controller?

LycanXIII

Tired of waiting to be put into a game of Halo once the population dies? Just switch to Killzone while we place you in the right match with the help of Xbox One's new Smart Match system!

Caayn

Must be me but didn't we already knew that you could plug any HDMI device into the X1 and it will work? Why is this suddenly news again?

Must be me. But didn't we already knew that you could plug any HDMI device into the X1 and it will work? Why is this suddenly news again?

Well, obviously, it makes sense for it to work by virtue of its connection. Apparently, though, many still don't understand that it does work. Not everyone knows, therefore it is news to someone. The smaller details still need revealing, though.

This is great news. I totally plan to hook my PS4 up to my XB1. It will be awesome playing KZ:SF and then getting invites to play XB1 games.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This is genius on their part because then people leave their Xbox on 24/7 and if they just want to play PS4, they go through the Xbox dash board. So unless you unplug it, you'll always be exposed to the xbox, reminded that it exists.

Caayn

Well, obviously, it makes sense for it to work by virtue of its connection. Apparently, though, many still don't understand that it does work. Not everyone knows, therefore it is news to someone. The smaller details still need revealing, though.
Fair enough. Still waiting to hear if the passthrough will also work if the X1 is turned off/stand-by.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In this case, the X1 is connected directly to the display. Wouldn't it be able to send audio back through to the receiver?

possibly, if Xbox one supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). But even if it does, I think ARC only supports stereo or DD5.1. So if Xbox relies on LPCM for instance, it may not be supported.

we won't know until launch and people start playing with configurations. Fingers crossed I guess

MORTALIS

But will it support another Xbox One?

tumblr_lm2lufG9371qii6tmo1_500.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
There's got to be latency its not like a receiver where video just bypasses......no the audio is being transferred and encoded as well because of the X1's overlay. Basically those with gaming monitors or very low input delay TV's might not notice much. But anyone who runs that 60 inch Sanyo........may God have Mercy on your lag!

They should make a USB-to-USB dongle that you can plug into a 360 and X1 that sends controller data over from one system to the other. That plus HDMI in would be a nice back compat fix for people that have a 360 and don't plan on throwing it in the trash can the day they get an X1.

Anyways, cool for PS3 stuff. Too bad you can't stream that stuff over Twitch but they'd probably burn every bridge they built with a media company if they did that. I play a lot of SSF4 unranked matched and "Endless" lobby is usually more like constantly stopping lobby as you have to wait up to 30 minutes for your turn to come up again. This will help pass the time quicker. Too bad it seems like you only snap an app screen to a game screen though. If you could have two apps then I could have the PS3+Netflix going at once.

Too bad it seems like you only snap an app screen to a game screen though. If you could have two apps then I could have the PS3+Netflix going at once.

Pretty sure X1 was designed to support two apps running at once, and fully snap-able, so running Netflix or other app, streaming-based/pass-thru signal or no, or a game or another app at once would be part of its intended operation.

Top Bottom