• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

Lobster

Banned
_leech_ said:
confusedmansm.jpg

scr_099.jpg

hl225.jpg

When inspected closer HL2 is just a game full of tricks that makes it look so damn good.Repeats alot of textures aswell. RS looks decent when compared to it.

PantherLotus said:
This is entirely a product of too-high of expectations combined with a whole lot of effective and timely advertising that built this game up to be something that it's not.

Exactly.

The hype of Red Steel has been generated from two things. The first is the obvious idea of UbiSoft saying, "Gee, let's do a game where you swing a sword! It's what everyone would expect, and we could put in the Yakuza 'n' shit!" The second would be those ridiculous live-footage segments of those tools swinging their arms around like they were born samurai - selling the idea that the sword is a literal extension of your arm. Clearly that isn't the case, as Ubi only programmed the controls with so many movements available. There are clearly restrictions here.

The whole idea stunk from the beginning, and reality is finally rearing its head.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
People are overreacting. If Red Steel is actually good and it appeals to people it won't matter what score it got in some online gaming website, and if it's not it still doesn't matter. If there is anything unprofessional about the manner in which GS is handling the Wii coverage it's only gonna bite them in the ass, it doesn't really change a thing for Nintendo or Ubisoft, it's all about Gamespot, their reputation and relationship with those companies, if anything.

A lot of people will buy the Wii just for Wii Sports, really, I would say millions of people will, even though that game will probably get a very low average, will probably get trounced by reviewers just like the NES, Gameboy and everyone of the most successful Nintendo products of all time did. There's no reason to be mad at them just because they've had a different opinion from yours.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:
how far we've come, though!

Remember when the first grainy photos of Red Steel came from Game Informer, and the Nintendo fanatics were like "HOLY SHIT LOOKS ON PAR WITH 360 GAMES I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY"

and then, oh precious reality, as the weeks and weeks progressed and they saw what it really looked like, and how it really played like... and well... times change so fast, don't they? You don't even have time to savour the madness anymore :lol

You should have seen the bedlam that hit this place a few hours ago.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I was hoping for a shameless Goldeneye clone (multiplayer specifically) with waggle.

Sounds more like Xiii minus the cell shading.

Dolphin

Banned
Zer0 said:
no,its just a good review site,who doesnt give a shit about nintendo fanboys
Gamespot said:
Donkey Kong 64: 9.0, Superb
Those of you who remotely liked Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie will be excited to the point of numbness by this game.
EXCELLENT review site.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The storyline summary seriously made me lol.

you're an American bodyguard who must learn the way of the samurai so that he can defeat the Japanese gangsters who've kidnapped his girlfriend.

Zeed

Banned
AN 8.8 ZELDA SCORE AND TWO REVIEWS AGO, NINTENDO BROUGHT FORTH ON THIS INTERNET A NEW CONSOLE, CONCEIVED IN AWESOME AND DECDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT SONY AND MICROSOFT AM FALL.

NOW WE ARE ENGAGED IN A GREAT FLAME WAR, TESTING WHETHER THAT CONSOLE OR ANY CONSOLE SO CONCEIVED AND SO DEDICATED CAN LONG ENDURE. WE ARE MET IN A GREAT THREAD OF THAT WAR. WE HAVE COME TO DEDICATE A PORTION OF THAT THREAD AS A FINAL RESTING-PLACE FOR THOSE WHO HERE GAVE THEIR ACCOUNTS AND THEIR DIGNITY THAT THAT CONSOLE MIGHT LIVE. IT IS ALTOGETHER FITTING AND PROPER THAT WE SHOULD DO THIS. BUT IN A LARGER SENSE, WE CANNOT DEDICATE, WE CANNOT CONSECRATE, WE CANNOT HALLOW THIS THREAD. THE BRAVE POSTERS, BANNED AND UNBANNED WHO STRUGGLED HERE HAVE CONSECRATED IT FAR ABOVE OUR POOR POWER TO ADD OR DETRACT. THE INTERNET WILL LITTLE NOTE NOR LONG REMEMBER WHAT I SAY HERE, BUT IT CAN NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY DID HERE.

IT IS FOR US THE UNBANNED RATHER TO BE DEDICATED HERE TO THE UNFINISHED WORK WHICH THEY WHO FOUGHT HERE HAVE THUS SO FAR NOBLY ADVANCED. IT IS RATHER FOR US TO BE HERE DEDICATED TO THE GREAT TASK REMAINING BEFORE US - THAT FROM THESE HONORED POSTERS WE TAKE INCREASED DEVOTION TO THAT CAUSE FOR WHICH THEY GAVE THE LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION - THAT WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT THESE POSTERS SHALL NOT HAVE BEEN BANNED IN VAIN, THAT THIS INTERNET UNDER MIYAMOTO SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF AWESOME, AND THAT CONSOLES THAT ARE GOOD, COST LESS THAN $599, AND CAN WAGGLE SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THIS INTERNET.

AMEN.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
You were looking forward to this. You.

I can proudly say I never was.

I was never LOOKING FORWARD to it. I look forward to Zelda GC, I look forward to FFXII and Okami. I was curiously looking at Red Steel as a possible game I could purchase because Wii's launch is so thin. I didn't have high expectations - at by the end they weren't met, so I purchaed Trauma Center over RS.

Shard said:
You should have seen the bedlam that hit this place a few hours ago.

I'm sort of happy to be here AFTER the aftermath. This place somehow seems more... reserved :lol

Amir0x said:
I was never LOOKING FORWARD to it. I look forward to Zelda GC, I look forward to FFXII and Okami. I was curiously looking at Red Steel as a possible game I could purchase because Wii's launch is so thin. I didn't have high expectations - at by the end they weren't met, so I purchaed Trauma Center over RS.
YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT METAL SLUG

Amir0x said:

Wii launch has the superior version of Zelda. That makes it incredibly fat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BlindN-Fan said:
scr_099.jpg

hl225.jpg

When inspected closer HL2 is just a game full of tricks that makes it look so damn good.Repeats alot of textures aswell. RS looks decent when compared to it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT METAL SLUG

Well, it was delayed or something by a week or some shit so it's a good thing i didn't or else i wouldn't be playing anything :p

Alkaliine said:
Wii launch has the superior version of Zelda. That makes it incredibly fat.

wow wow it has a port of the superior GCN game, bravo Wii you exceed the lowered expectations of all :lol

Armitage

BlindN-Fan said:
(images)

Okay, now you're just being ridiculous. HL2 still looks great after 2 years and RS looks, at best, good.

Zyid said:
AN 8.8 ZELDA SCORE AND TWO REVIEWS AGO, NINTENDO BROUGHT FORTH ON THIS INTERNET A NEW CONSOLE, CONCEIVED IN AWESOME AND DECDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT SONY AND MICROSOFT AM FALL.

NOW WE ARE ENGAGED IN A GREAT FLAME WAR, TESTING WHETHER THAT CONSOLE OR ANY CONSOLE SO CONCEIVED AND SO DEDICATED CAN LONG ENDURE. WE ARE MET IN A GREAT THREAD OF THAT WAR. WE HAVE COME TO DEDICATE A PORTION OF THAT THREAD AS A FINAL RESTING-PLACE FOR THOSE WHO HERE GAVE THEIR ACCOUNTS AND THEIR DIGNITY THAT THAT CONSOLE MIGHT LIVE. IT IS ALTOGETHER FITTING AND PROPER THAT WE SHOULD DO THIS. BUT IN A LARGER SENSE, WE CANNOT DEDICATE, WE CANNOT CONSECRATE, WE CANNOT HALLOW THIS THREAD. THE BRAVE POSTERS, BANNED AND UNBANNED WHO STRUGGLED HERE HAVE CONSECRATED IT FAR ABOVE OUR POOR POWER TO ADD OR DETRACT. THE INTERNET WILL LITTLE NOTE NOR LONG REMEMBER WHAT I SAY HERE, BUT IT CAN NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY DID HERE.

IT IS FOR US THE UNBANNED RATHER TO BE DEDICATED HERE TO THE UNFINISHED WORK WHICH THEY WHO FOUGHT HERE HAVE THUS SO FAR NOBLY ADVANCED. IT IS RATHER FOR US TO BE HERE DEDICATED TO THE GREAT TASK REMAINING BEFORE US - THAT FROM THESE HONORED POSTERS WE TAKE INCREASED DEVOTION TO THAT CAUSE FOR WHICH THEY GAVE THE LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION - THAT WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT THESE POSTERS SHALL NOT HAVE BEEN BANNED IN VAIN, THAT THIS INTERNET UNDER MIYAMOTO SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF AWESOME, AND THAT CONSOLES THAT ARE GOOD, COST LESS THAN $599, AND CAN WAGGLE SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THIS INTERNET.

AMEN.

You just made reading this thread worth it for me. Bravo. :lol :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:

I'm sort of happy to be here AFTER the aftermath. This place somehow seems more... reserved :lol

Well, you can only go up after that sort of debacle.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

See, I never even reached that level. And so far I've been right about every launch game for the system. I'll be right about Elebits. Just wait and see. Just wait and see.

Ark-AMN

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like the plot to a Van Damme straight to video movie.
I know, seriously, is this the best that the French could come up with? Sounds like Red Steel might have been better of being made by N-Space at this rate. :lol

lol at anyone saying Red Steel even comes close to Half-Life 2. Lost Coast with HDR defeats RS's Goldeneye-era visuals by entire universes.

Some of you keep asking who would expect it to get a high score. If people didn't have high expectations for it, how come this game was getting hyped? Do people hype shovelware now?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like the plot to a Van Damme straight to video movie.

It sounds more like the 3rd sequel of a Van Damme straight to video movie starring some other guy.

disappeared said:
lol at anyone saying Red Steel even comes close to Half-Life 2. Lost Coast by itself with HDR defeats RS's Goldeneye-era visuals by entire universes.

Have you actually played Goldeneye recently?

Amir0x said:

This place looks pretty calm to me. What's funny is despite that 8.8 for Zelda, it seems whoever was going to buy the game is STILL going to buy it and whoever wasnt ISNT. Nothing has changed.

ethelred

AniHawk said:
See, I never even reached that level. And so far I've been right about every launch game for the system. I'll be right about Elebits. Just wait and see. Just wait and see.

What's the Magic Ani Ball say aboot Elebits?

Kamille

Not THAT surprising, but I don't know, I was expecting it to be a decent to average FPS. I'm still interested in giving it a try and forming my own opinion though. Graphics do look quite good, not spectacular, in those shots.

"When inspected closer HL2 is just a game full of tricks that makes it look so damn good.Repeats alot of textures aswell. RS looks decent when compared to it."

Those tricks being competent art designers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
disappeared said:
lol at anyone saying Red Steel even comes close to Half-Life 2. Lost Coast with HDR defeats RS's Goldeneye-era visuals by entire universes.

Episode 1 with everything maxed matches pretty much anything else around in FPS terms (Gears of War being the next step up).

Muppet345

ethelred said:
What's the Magic Ani Ball say aboot Elebits?
I have it pre-ordered because I want the plushie for my nephew. I think I'm going to move the pre-order to something else if it doesn't come in soon.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this game was garbage from day 1 I dont need gamespot to tell me that, pity for the fools that are buying this trash.

dont support bad games.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Amir0x said:
Same here. I never expected much from this game. A lot of people were very hyped up about it, but i think thats becauise it was the first wii FPS everyone knew about.

sp0rsk said:
It sounds more like the 3rd sequel of a Van Damme straight to video movie starring some other guy.

You've gone and reminded me of the terrible sequels to Kickboxer. :/ There was one to Bloodsport also but I won't watch it as i'm not letting anything diminish my view of Bloodsport.

Top Bottom