• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Seven Years In, Phil Spencer Has Succeeded Immensely In Helping Xbox Turn Things Around

MonarchJT

Banned
I find all this false praise to Phil Spencer just for a subscription service to be utterly comical.

Wake me up whenever Microsoft studios has a Game of the Year caliber title, then I will give Phil some praise.
do you mean that award made by the biased Geoff voted overwhelmingly by the users of one of the three most famous consoles? Ah OK must be something relevant (for that faction) lol

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Kokoloko85

Great. So you said unprofitable, but what you meant was profitable. Great. That's nice and clear.

So to one of the biggest companies in the world, what do you think "not much profit" means?
It means it doesnt matter if there not making much profit, like Aaron said, they will be fine.
Clearly you didnt read the rest of my post lol.
Great lol

Mmnow

It means it doesnt matter if there not making much profit, like Aaron said, they will be fine.
Clearly you didnt read the rest of my post lol.
Great lol
I know the article.

So answer the question. What is "not much profit" to one of the biggest companies in the world?

Kokoloko85

I know the article.

So answer the question. What is "not much profit" to one of the biggest companies in the world?

Not much profit is not much profit....?
Like I said MS can take a loss and still dominate. So not much profit doesnt mean much to them...

Mmnow

Not much profit is not much profit....?
Like I said MS can take a loss and still dominate. So not much profit doesnt mean much to them...
Now we're back to them making a loss? Thought we'd agreed it was profitable?

Is Gamepass making them $5 or $5m? Or more? What is "not much profit" to a company that brings in $60b each year?

The real world. I game as a hobby but manage projects as a profession. The ignorance, oversight and incompetence required for your main product to be in such a sorry state, after so much time and money is spent on it, is unforgivable. For 'Phil' to show that AND be excited about it shows how out of touch he is.

If you think any of that is acceptable you are vastly short on experience in the real world.

Thank you. gif

The most infuriating part about it is how 'xbox fans' call us stupid, nuts, laugh at our opinions. Yet if these 'fans' would wind their necks in, stfu and take notes, the xbox would be smashing Sony World wide.

I've argued til I'm bored with 'xbox fans' on the Internet, and it started with the lack of innovation towards the end of the life of the 360, carried on through kinect and xbox one and nothing hasn't changed.

Putting Halo in my big black slab of love in March 2001 and listening to that opening BGM, tingles mate, proper tingles.

Now I think about that franchise and it just repulses me because of how far xbox has fallen. And nothing will change because fans, aren't fans.

Xbox is the Man utd of the console world.
Difference is Man United was actually the best club in the world during a period of utter dominance in England. Xbox has yet to even grab PS by the balls. The closest they came is a sniff during the 360 era.

Azurro

Banned
It's funny, every once in a while we get these articles to try to make the console market look more interesting than what it is.

Granted, the Bethesda acquisition and GamePass are something interesting to look at, but when it comes to actual results on the marketplace, these articles have nothing to work with, Xbox has been going backwards in marketshare ever since the Xbox One and that's continuing with the XSXS.

It's just fluff.

It does not, it's an old ass game and a port.
Not exclusive launch SW for XsX.
Your fanfiction won't change this.
It was not on console before the XSX|S launched. So therefore it was a 1st party XSX|S launch exclusive. If it makes you feel better to ignore that fact go right ahead believing your fantasy land delusion. It will not change reality.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Spencer and Xbox for sure has good reason to feel confident, they are completely dominating PR these days. Just forcing mainstream urinalists to write positive articles is a significant turnaround in itself.

It was not on console before the XSX|S launched. So therefore it was a 1st party XSX|S launch exclusive. If it makes you feel better to ignore that fact go right ahead believing your fantasy land delusion. It will not change reality.
Doesn't matter it's an old ass port not a launch exclusive.
DirkMagusDCXIX at Fanfiction.net strikes again.

Kokoloko85

Now we're back to them making a loss? Thought we'd agreed it was profitable?

Is Gamepass making them $5 or $5m? Or more? What is "not much profit" to a company that brings in $60b each year?

Im getting bored lol.

I said it doesnt matter whether they are making a little profit, or not at all.
Just like the article said:

To help get Xbox Game Pass growing, Microsoft offered subscriptions for only $1. This helped the subscriber base grow to more than 10 million so far. If Microsoft is indeed losing money on Xbox Game Pass right now, the company can afford to take the hit, it seems.

It doesnt really matter because they are one of the most profitable companies anyway. Whether its A little profit, or no profit

Go ask Aaron how much profit they are making, or go be a shareholder

Alright

Banned
Difference is Man United was actually the best club in the world during a period of utter dominance in England. Xbox has yet to even grab PS by the balls. The closest they came is a sniff during the 360 era.
Xbox owned the industry when it launched and continue it for a short period with the 360.

The OG xbox was more powerful, more innovative in games, console features and multiplayer than the ps2.

Now my favourite console manufacturer (Sega) is dead and the OG xbox/Dreamcast X, has long been forgotten in an attempt to... scare gamers away?

What Microsoft have been doing with xbox since 2010 is beyond me. They should hire me to fix it all

Mmnow

Your first point in your first post in this thread was that nothing has changed for Xbox, partly because Gamepass is unprofitable.

Your second point was that if it was profitable, Microsoft would say it.

Now it's that it is a little bit profitable (which is apparently wha, you meant all along), but it doesn't matter because MS is really, really rich.

I'm bored too. Do you really wanna keep this up?

Kokoloko85

Your first point in your first post in this thread was that nothing has changed for Xbox, partly because Gamepass is unprofitable.

Your second point was that if it was profitable, Microsoft would say it.

Now it's that it is a little bit profitable (which is apparently wha, you meant all along), but it doesn't matter because MS is really, really rich.

I'm bored too. Do you really wanna keep this up?

Nah, because it doesnt matter. First was a mistake, then its always been whether they make a little profit or not they can take the loss

Concern

Good to see some Sony fanboys haven't lost track of what their supposed to do. While others crying, making stupid petitions and some are attacking each other in Jim's honor lol.

OT: Phil has done some good but also has a long way to go to deliver imo.

I like Phil quite a bit. I think he’s done an admirable job in the post-Mattrick era. But for him to reach the top tier exec level, for me, he needs to deliver some GREAT games out of that amazing stable of devs he has cultivated. Heard David Jaffe (weird dude) say some good things about Phil but he had concerns about his ability to consistently deliver quality games.

Others have mentioned it, but I think his greatest legacy thus far has been convincing the Microsoft brain trust to open up the war chest to invest in the gaming division.

As an Xbox devotee, I love having Phil as Xbox leader.

He is ok, I mean Don Mattrick was a tool so it wasn’t hard to top him. What about rare games and the fable franchise? He wasn’t able to fix those two things, they just over invest in halo and gears, it gets old. They don’t do allow bold moves like allowing Naughty Dog create the last of us. That’s why apple has been kicking their ass since the iPhone came out

they think they can win their way buying shit like they did with Skype or Minecraft but Where is the excitement? If they want to buy their way to win they should buy the Half Life IP and invest in a studio to make games with ex valve employees, that would fucking rule. In the meantime they are second best

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Im getting bored lol.

Just like the article said:

To help get Xbox Game Pass growing, Microsoft offered subscriptions for only $1. This helped the subscriber base grow to more than 10 million so far. If Microsoft is indeed losing money on Xbox Game Pass right now, the company can afford to take the hit, it seems.

It doesnt really matter because they are one of the most profitable companies anyway. Whether its A little profit, or no profit

Go ask Aaron how much profit they are making, or go be a shareholder
How many of the user base will continue gamepass at $15 once the 3 years is up? That’s the biggest problem for Microsoft in the future. Doesn’t matter how big a company is they will not sustain a loss for a long time.

I like Phil quite a bit. I think he’s done an admirable job in the post-Mattrick era. But for him to reach the top tier exec level, for me, he needs to deliver some GREAT games out of that amazing stable of devs he has cultivated. Heard David Jaffe (weird dude) say some good things about Phil but he had concerns about his ability to consistently deliver quality games.
That's because Phil doesn't know what a quality game is, he's a corporate suit, not a gamer. I'm sure he sat through the Halo presentation and thought it was great to show off.

Kagey K

Banned
How many of the user base will continue gamepass at $15 once the 3 years is up? That’s the biggest problem for Microsoft in the future. Doesn’t matter how big a company is they will not sustain a loss for a long time.
If they keep adding games day 1 I imagine quite a few. In April alone you have almost payed for a year if you planned in playing both games they added and we haven’t seen what the rest of the month looks like.

Zoro7

Banned
If they keep adding games day 1 I imagine quite a few. In April alone you have almost payed for a year if you planned in playing both games they added and we haven’t seen what the rest of the month looks like.
Fair enough. And how long before they increase the price from $15? If they keep adding 3rd party games into the mix too.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I am in the habit of not celebrating the methods i choose, but the results they bring. I will refrain from assessing his "contribution" until the offer he makes will be attractive not mostly for the loyal fans of the brand.

In addition, it is easier for me to appreciate someone's work when i have a point of reference, but so far the main competition (Sony) is very sparing in words and announcements, which makes it difficult to evaluate these changes in the context of the actual demand among potential customers.
It seems to me that time will show who understood the target group better when choosing their strategy of action.

Anyway, I wish him good luck. (y)

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
That's because Phil doesn't know what a quality game is, he's a corporate suit, not a gamer. I'm sure he sat through the Halo presentation and thought it was great to show off.
That’s bullshit. He’s on all the time, including right now. He plays Destiny regularly.

Kagey K

Banned
Fair enough. And how long before they increase the price from $15? If they keep adding 3rd party games into the mix too.
Who cares? If they make it so gamers don’t want it they will cancel. I’m not going to stop driving my car because it might break eventually.

Zoro7

Banned
Who cares? If they make it so gamers don’t want it they will cancel. I’m not going to stop driving my car because it might break eventually.
Oh my bad I thought a forum was for discussions. The state of some people. And what a stupid analogy.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Playing chess whilst PS are playing ball in cup. The NBA deal proves it. As ruthless as it gets.

Last edited:

AphexTwunt

because GAmepass is being used an argument for whatchamacallit turning the xbox around.

FFS, it's as sustainable as they choose to make it. We all know that sub services are a money pit that pays back in the long term (if they succeed).

There's no denying that the model has massively improved the consensus about MS and Xbox. It's one of their most significant talking points,

quest

Not Banned from OT
FFS, it's as sustainable as they choose to make it. We all know that sub services are a money pit that pays back in the long term (if they succeed).

There's no denying that the model has massively improved the consensus about MS and Xbox. It's one of their most significant talking points,
More importantly there is no 23 studios or series consoles with out gamepass. The division was dead in the water until gamepass came along. If it is sustainable at this point it don't mater to Microsoft is committed to it seeing other platforms make money in the long haul. It also can leverage other parts of Microsoft to.

Mmnow

You can't just sya "Sure, it's good today... But here are pretend problems that might cause a spanner in the works if they ever appear!"

What if PS5s suddenly start breaking down? Man, would PlayStation be financially viable if they had to start giving out millions of refunds?

See how stupid it is?

Of the 18m+, how many have maxed out the Gold deal? Some? Many? Most? We don't know, but if it was some sort of terrifying loophole that would smash the entire plan in pieces, they wouldn't be doing four years after Gamepass launched.

Why, if subscribers are going up, would they need to put the price up? It makes absolutely no sense. The point is to maintain high numbers. How does that work with a price increase?

Finally, we can only know what a burden these third party deals are if we know what exactly is happening with them. Did Xbox pay more or less for Outriders and Octopath than Sony paid for Final Fantasy VII?

Of course not, so which do you think is more sustainable?

Zoro7

Banned
You can't just sya "Sure, it's good today... But here are pretend problems that might cause a spanner in the works if they ever appear!"

What if PS5s suddenly start breaking down? Man, would PlayStation be financially viable if they had to start giving out millions of refunds?

See how stupid it is?

Of the 18m+, how many have maxed out the Gold deal? Some? Many? Most? We don't know, but if it was some sort of terrifying loophole that would smash the entire plan in pieces, they wouldn't be doing four years after Gamepass launched.

Why, if subscribers are going up, would they need to put the price up? It makes absolutely no sense. The point is to maintain high numbers. How does that work with a price increase?

Finally, we can only know what a burden these third party deals are if we know what exactly is happening with them. Did Xbox pay more or less for Outriders and Octopath than Sony paid for Final Fantasy VII?

Of course not, so which do you think is more sustainable?
I don't think its stupid to question that at all. I also don't think its stupid to assume a large chunk of people made the most of the $1 deal. So again it comes back to "Will MS gain or lose subscribers at $15 or more". I think its a very valid question.

tr1p1ex

It can't be as sustainable as they choose to make it. It's only sustainable if customers want to continue to pay what they are asking over the long run.

right now they are doing the equivalent of giving stuff away for free. so obviously people are excited.

But that's not the business model we are going to end up with. It hasn't turned around the Xbox yet either.

Mmnow

I don't think its stupid to question that at all. I also don't think its stupid to assume a large chunk of people made the most of the $1 deal. So again it comes back to "Will MS gain or lose subscribers at $15 or more". I think its a very valid question.
I think it is stupid to assume a large chunk of people made the most of the $1 deal.

Not only is it almost customary to have multiple people questioning how to do the $1 deal in every thread it's brought up in - even today, even here and other enthusiast forums - but it's just as likely to see people bemoaning the fact they've converted two months instead of three years. GPU deals are constantly voted hot on places like HotUkDeals, including conversion deals using EA.

So what evidence do you have that the people who converted when the deal went live:

1. Did so for three years
2. Aren't already subscribing?

There's no problem with questioning how the gold deal will impact subscriptions, but you've brought it up as a gotcha in a discussion about whether or not it's profitable, followed directly by "AND I BET THE PRICE GOES UP". You haven't offered any talking points, you haven't offered any evidence. You've just made a presumption and expected people to counter the made-up scenario that's in your head.

If you're not going to question it in good faith, it's not a valid question.

Stuart360

Ah this $1 Gamepass deal that eveyone goes on about. Well i dont know if its different on Console Gamepass, but i got 3 months PC Gamepass free with my new cpu and mobo last year, and i got the $1 trial when first signing up. Been paying £7.99 ever since.

Zoro7

Banned
I think it is stupid to assume a large chunk of people made the most of the $1 deal.

Not only is it almost customary to have multiple people questioning how to do the $1 deal in every thread it's brought up in - even today, even here and other enthusiast forums - but it's just as likely to see people bemoaning the fact they've converted two months instead of three years. GPU deals are constantly voted hot on places like HotUkDeals, including conversion deals using EA.

So what evidence do you have that the people who converted when the deal went live:

1. Did so for three years
2. Aren't already subscribing?

There's no problem with questioning how the gold deal will impact subscriptions, but you've brought it up as a gotcha in a discussion about whether or not it's profitable, followed directly by "AND I BET THE PRICE GOES UP". You haven't offered any talking points, you haven't offered any evidence. You've just made a presumption and expected people to counter the made-up scenario that's in your head.

If you're not going to question it in good faith, it's not a valid question.
The fact that Microsoft refuses to talk about finances in regards to Gamepass says it all really. What further proof you want. Also calm down. I don’t want to read a fucking essay.

Mmnow

The fact that Microsoft refuses to talk about finances in regards to Gamepass says it all really. What further proof you want. Also calm down. I don’t want to read a fucking essay.
"A vacuum in the data means I can make up any shit I want to. Plus 200 words - 30 seconds reading - is too much for me."

If you don't want to discuss something, don't bring your low effort shit into a discussion forum. Go watch YouTube and drool or something.

Zoro7

Banned
"A vacuum in the data means I can make up any shit I want to. Plus 200 words - 30 seconds reading - is too much for me."

If you don't want to discuss something, don't bring your low effort shit into a discussion forum. Go watch YouTube and drool or something.
Awww did I insult your favourite company. What a shame. Go write a dissertation on why Gamepass is great value.

Mmnow

Why would it be stupid? I got 3 years for $1.
It would be stupid to assume the majority of Game Pass subscribers took advantage of converting three years of gold to Game Pass because it's just that - an assumption. There's no evidence for it. There's no evidence that the vast majority of people on Game Pass today aren't paying for it.

And that's not saying it couldn't be true. It's just a bad assumption.

Point being, presenting it as a problem means you have to prove the problem exists.

Megatron

I’m not gay, but I’d be tempted

Don’t pretend you haven’t daydreamed of yourself as Demi Moore and Phil as Patric Swazie. Liars!!

So are you saying you actually want to have sex with Whoopi Goldberg but close your eyes and pretend she’s Patrick Swayze?

It would be stupid to assume the majority of Game Pass subscribers took advantage of converting three years of gold to Game Pass because it's just that - an assumption. There's no evidence for it. There's no evidence that the vast majority of people on Game Pass today aren't paying for it.

And that's not saying it couldn't be true. It's just a bad assumption.

Point being, presenting it as a problem means you have to prove the problem exists.
You said a large chunk, not the majority. And yes it would be silly to think the majority are on the $1 deal.

Top Bottom