• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespy: Should Diablo 3 have been first person?

jambo

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1195932p1.html

'll admit it. My first ever hands-on time with any Diablo game occurred just 24 hours ago, when my inexperienced Demon Hunter took his first fumbling steps into the Diablo III beta's dark and ominous dungeons. It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion, but in that short period of time my eyes were opened to an entirely new perspective on a gaming world. As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Diablo III have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach? Let's find out.

There are no words...

EDIT: Just saw this from his Twitter

Bennett Ring
@jane_tobes Ha, pretty good eh? Who'd have thought Diablo fans would have more rage than the COD kiddies?

Bennett Ring
@jane_tobes It's easy - find a game that has the nerdiest following, and have an open discussion about radically reinventing it.

http://twitter.com/#!/bennettring

=\

Ezduo

Banned
"A huge part of the experience is the unique camera view, and I soon learnt to live with its various quirks."

Sounds reasonable enough.

wtf_3.gif

I fucking hate it when people bitch about "too many" games being first person, but I think this is the first time I have understood their rage. This is the lolwut-iest thing I've read all day.

Orayn

Fucking IGN...? Not IGN? Whoa.
Also, first person loot whoring is what Borderlands is for. GameSpy might want to read up on that.

God the guy doesn't have any clue does he? Try and imagine playing monk or witch doctor for a second... God who green light such a shameful vow of ignorance?

As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar

As a lover of Call of Duty I just can't figure out why I have to take down Colossi by climbing them

Einbroch

Banned
bandresen said:
I don't see the issue with this article.

Can someone share the outrage they feel?
I have no idea either. He's stating a "what if", not a "it should be". Hypotheticals are worth rage, I guess.

Orayn

brandonh83 said:
As a lover of Call of Duty I just can't figure out why I have to take down Colossi by climbing them
Next week: Should Skyward Sword have assault rifles and a cover system?

Sciz

Orayn said:
Fucking IGN...? Not IGN? Whoa.
Also, first person loot whoring is what Borderlands is for. GameSpy might want to read up on that.
They're owned by IGN these days.

And please don't mention Gamespy and Borderlands together, it still hurts. D:

Top Bottom