• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Chloe Frazer is the Lara Croft you want

dralla

Chloe is fantastic but I feel like this says more about modern day Lara Croft than Chloe. Lara is straight trash in TR2013 (haven't played Rise). The way she's written and the way she's acted, it's generally a poor effort across the board. I hope whoever makes the next TR game gives Lara the attention as a character she deserves.

Aeana

This article sure puts a lot of focus and importance on Chloe being "fragile" and "not being afraid to cry." Chloe is a woman, but is seeing a fragile person kicking ass really the only appeal of playing as a female character?

This article sure puts a lot of focus and importance on Chloe being "fragile" and "not being afraid to cry." Chloe is a woman, but is seeing a fragile person kicking ass really the only appeal of playing as a female character?
Yikes, that sounds terrible

I figured they meant she's a confident badass like the old Lara Croft

Harlequin

I'd definitely love to see more male characters getting emotional and breaking out of the stoic and/or wise-cracking action hero stereotype. I don't think that there's anything wrong with a female character showing "fragility" or emotions (I know you're not implying that), what's wrong is if you're portraying her in such a way (or expecting her to be portrayed in such a way) only because she's female.

We still need to improve on how we describe what we want out of female characters instead of defaulting to "fragile" or "badass" or "strong".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
To me, Chloe's appeal is the connection between her command of mythology / history and her background. She is very believable as an Indian. I think it enhances her motivation and makes the story, mythos, and villain stronger.

Nulara is just poorly written. Old Lara was basically Chloe without the wise cracks (and with huge boobs). Pierre. Litterbug.

AdaWong

y'all better read the whole article. it focuses on her being fragile. but also focuses on her being a badass and strong.

HeelPower

Chloe is specifically Chloe.Never thought of her as Lara.

New Lara is fantastic. One of my favorite characters with a ton of effort put into her.

Toni

Nice clickbait article/title.

But no. Lara is iconic gaming character, even my grandma knows who Lara Croft is.

Chloe Ferezer...

giphy.gif

But that's not even what the article is talking about.

Read it.

lpY8Ff8.gif

All I know is ULL gave me the Old Tomb Raider vibe I was really hoping to get from New Tomb Raider

I'll have a new uncharted where she fights nazis with Sully thanks

keep the dream alive

jayu26

I played all of Rise to Tomb Raider in Japanese with English subtitle, even though I don't speak a lick of Japanese. I tried to pretend that I was playing a poorly localized Japanese game. I still wanted to stab my brain because of the terrible dialogues.

I am sure Camilla is a fine person and actress but my God her delivery in these games is poor. I can only describe it as concerned apathy. That doesn't even make sense and yet that is the appropriate description of what she is doing.

Frazer is well written but it wouldn't take Naughty Dog calibre writing to surpass reboot Lara. I would be hard pressed to find a character as poorly written as reboot Lara in AAA space this generation.

...Also Claudia Black is such a better voice actress it's not even funny...

...Chloe was already cool in UC2 but here, she's a lot more quick-witted and somehow even cooler. She's the Lara Croft we deserve...

Uncharted and Tomb Raider have been pitted against each other for a decade now. And the Tomb Raider reboot going in a decidedly different direction with the character left some people miffed, and no, not because she's less sexualized.

Chloe is absolutely in the spirit of old Lara.

...current Lara doesn't resemble original Lara in personality at all while Chole seems to be more like old Lara in spirit. I can understand wanting to do something different but she doesn't even have basic traits such as her wit and love for adventuring.

New Lara only seems to tomb raid because of her dad or 'for the greater good' and never feels like she truly loves what she is doing for the sake of it.

To me, Chloe's appeal is the connection between her command of mythology / history and her background...

...I love classic Lara's backstory and personality and yes, I do love the classics' gameplay. And I'm a gay guy so Lara's ridiculously large breasts and skimpy outfits have never done anything for me. (In fact, there's a disproportionately large number of gay/bi men in the TR fandom compared to other video game fandoms and I'm pretty sure that classic Lara's backstory and personality are one of the main reasons for that.)...

Briefly recalling some key points from previous threads:
...There are certainly a few posters whinging about [Lara's] current design not delivering enough pandering fanservice, but I think most of the honest complaints are truly rooted in what the recent games did to her characterization by removing all her confidence, internal drive, and rakish levity and replacing it with the humorless moaning of a character who doesn't enjoy the danger and excitement inherent in adventuring.

Someone put together a compilation of her flippant quips from the original games
, which highlights her devil-may-care attitude, and this thread has a number of posts that drill down into what makes her current incarnation so maddeningly dull...

Also, some notes on Classic Lara's "...confidence, internal drive..." and backstory (which includes "command of mythology / history" and intrinsic love for adventure/discovery), as mentioned by Harlequin, above: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226034195#post226034195

Bollocks

One of the things that always jarred with me about the 2015 Tomb Raider reboot is that Lara goes from innocent teenager desperately wanting to follow in her father’s explorer footsteps to a dual-pistol-wielding mass murderer
fnfGCFa.gif

apparently going from thief to mass murderer is fine. archaeologist to mass murderer no no

Sendero

lol, classic-Lara is remembered fondly for a very obvious reason and no, it's not "about the gameplay". Let's not kid ourselves here...
Honest question: Do you or anyone here, really think that if Lara's chest had been reduced to --let's say-- a 3rd of its size.. would that have had a noticeable reduction in sales, or changed the impact on mainstream media?

Seems people have willfully forgotten (or where too young) the way she was portrayed on the articles (ie, written stuff) back then. It has been interesting to witness, though.
That is not to say that current Lara has filled those shoes (because she has not).

Gorillaz

fnfGCFa.gif

apparently going from thief to mass murderer is fine. archaeologist to mass murderer no no

execution is the big thing here

they set up chloe as being self centered, driven "i'll fuck you over if it means getting ahead in the long run" type of person back in 2

I'm a little hazy on the details of how they set up lara today but chloe has always been extreme. She tried to leave that camera man for dead in 2 when drake and elena was trying to save him lol. So seeing her being a murderer like this isn't a surprise

sooo tired of this. loved aloy because of, among other things, the complete absence of this crap :) ...

Harlequin

We know that Chloe is no stranger to violence and killing, though. Reboot Lara went from being traumatised by her first kill to having mowed down several dozen people in the span of a few hours.

(Also, the fact that Crystal have actually made reboot Lara an archaeologist is freaking LOL-worthy considering how classic Lara treated ancient sites and ancient artefacts (hell, reboot Lara isn't much better in that regard which makes her supposedly having studied archaeology all the more ridiculous).)

One of the biggest hints how immature we are are about female characters in action games (or films, tv, etc...) in this idea that there in an unique and "defnitive" version of it.

"It’s time for the Tomb Raider to move over, because Chloe’s got everything you’d hope for in a heroine - video game or otherwise."

There.

It's not a competition. There isn't a finish line which only the "ultimate" female character will cross. I'm sure Chlore is a great character, just like Ellie was. And Lara Croft is too. And so many other female characters in gaming (I must mention Cate Archer).

There is no recept for a great heroine.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Lara is sobbing one minute and the very next moment she is cracking necks and shooting arrows into eyeballs

Chloe has always been out for herself.

The way characters develop is an important aspect of accepting their killing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
One of the biggest hints how immature we are are about female characters in action games (or films, tv, etc...) in this idea that there in an unique and "defnitive" version of it.

"It's time for the Tomb Raider to move over, because Chloe's got everything you'd hope for in a heroine - video game or otherwise."

There.

It's not a competition. There isn't a finish line which only the "ultimate" female character will cross. I'm sure Chlore is a great character, just like Ellie was. And Lara Croft is too. And so many other female characters in gaming (I must mention Cate Archer).

There is no recept for a great heroine.

This isn't about forcing female characters to compete with one another for the spotlight. This isn't about female characters having to fall into a pre-defined space of what makes them worth a damn.

Old Lara was a decidedly different character than who she became in the 2013 reboot. She went from this confident thrillseeker and adventurer, to being re-imagined as a fresh-faced scared student in the middle of a snuff film. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to portray a more human take on someone's origins like that. Hell, I loved the idea of reconceptualizing Tomb Raider into something more along the lines of The Descent. But the problem is they also did it extremely poorly. Lara in the last two games is neither more interesting or well-rounded. Camilla Luddington's vocal performance doesn't help, nor does her weightless dialogue. Her repeating "I can do this... I can do this..." again and again doesn't make her better as a character, nor does the inconsistent characterization of her crying about killing a deer in one scene, to smashing someone's face in with a pick-axe in only an hour's time.

New Lara is a bad character. She isn't without merit, atleast in theory. Crystal Dynamics stepping back from the brazenly overt sexualization atleast helped. But the writing around the character is so weak that it on its own doesn't really feel like an improvement over the shallow caricature she was before.

Chloe is being compared because a) Uncharted and TR have been compared for a decade, and are competing for the same space, and b) Chloe, in almost every way, is like someone took Old Lara, and chose to flesh out that character, and made that character actually interesting. And what we're left with is what a updated, matured take on original Lara Croft could've been.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This isn't about forcing female characters to compete with one another for the spotlight. This isn't about female characters having to fall into a pre-defined space of what makes them worth a damn.

Old Lara was a decidedly different character than who she became in the 2013 reboot. She went from this confident thrillseeker and adventurer, to being re-imagined as a fresh-faced scared student in the middle of a snuff film. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to portray a more human take on someone's origins like that. Hell, I loved the idea of reconceptualizing Tomb Raider into something more along the lines of The Descent. But the problem is they also did it extremely poorly. Lara in the last two games is neither more interesting or well-rounded. Camilla Luddington's vocal performance doesn't help, nor does her weightless dialogue. Her repeating "I can do this... I can do this..." again and again doesn't make her better as a character, nor does the inconsistent characterization of her crying about killing a deer in one scene, to smashing someone's face in with a pick-axe in only an hour's time.

New Lara is a bad character. She isn't without merit, atleast in theory. Crystal Dynamics stepping back from the brazenly overt sexualization atleast helped. But the writing around the character is so weak that it on its own doesn't really feel like an improvement over the shallow caricature she was before.

Chloe is being compared because a) Uncharted and TR have been compared for a decade, and are competing for the same space, and b) Chloe, in almost every way, is like someone took Old Lara, and chose to flesh out that character, and made that character actually interesting. And what we're left with is what a updated, matured take on original Lara Croft could've been.

This is an excellent post.

its because claudia black and the script are A+ in their direction; hence the humanity. Also, Nadine's face on the back of the
elephant
don't click until you've finished - where she's showing sympathy and pathos is incredible.

The facial animation/mocap here is top notch

I think it was a reference to her complexity, humanity and depth as a character - steely and yet fragile all at once. I didn't read too much into it

I went to read the article, and it said there were mild spoilers for TLL. I didn't read further because I'm not very far into TLL, so obligatory comment without reading the article itself, because we all love those. (Are you there, God? It's me, Yabberwocky. It's been months since my last Reboot Lara Croft grumble...)

Both Aloy and Chloe (and Nadine) have been soothing balms to the deep seated bitter agony withing my gaming soul about Reboot Lara Croft. Insert super dramatic gif here, but for some reason, can't get any gifs to show up? Cue an even more dramatic gif at the lack of not being able to use a dramatic gif. I was aiming for Brendan Fraser crying in the sunset from Bedazzled, by the by. Reboot Lara being in pain and injured every other scene was so frustrating, coupled by voice work where it sounds like she's perpetually another painful set-piece away from an orgasm. (Runner up in that department is FFXIII's Vanille, and it's not that she's in pain, but more that she's just really, really, REALLY excited about combat and her Eidolon.)

There is a bit of a conundrum with the Reboot where they're trying to have their pulpy action adventure game with huge set-pieces, but yet still trying to make it more realistic simultaneously. It's a genre mishmash that isn't easy to do at the best of times, and I don't think the Reboot manages it at all. It doesn't really work when Lara should have died from the wound she gets at the very beginning of the first game. It makes every other injury or injury affecting gameplay disruption seems shallow and frustrating, and just feels like the moments are happening purely to put Lara through more pain. In comparison in UC2,
Nate and his stomach wound change the gameplay for a time, but the rest of the time - despite the odd 'ow' and some grunts - it's played straight.
Nate might get some bruises, but he's not breaking a rib every other scene.
So when Nate is injured, genuinely injured, it's a huge shock, and it carries true weight.
Also, Nate doesn't sound like he's just perpetually another broken set-piece away from an orgasm.

I will say I haven't played Rise - and had been cautiously optimistic when it was announced! - but then I spent a lot of time watching previews and gameplay excerpts (also a huge chunk of cutscenes) and couldn't really see what had improved in regards to my complaints with the first game. Awesome alternate costumes, though, some of these outfits are amazing.

commando.png

I think Hellblade will also be an interesting compare/contrast to some of the tone CD seem to be going for with Reboot Tomb Raider - that being said, the genre and what Hellblade is setting out to achieve is obviously extremely different, and what Senua is going through is pretty horrific and extreme both mentally and potentially physically. I've only played a few minutes - haven't even heard Senua speak yet - but how amazing is the rest of the voice work, goddamn. From what I've seen of the game in previews and reviews, Hellblade doesn't feel exploitative with Senua, despite the extremely intense subject matter.

sooo tired of this. loved aloy because of, among other things, the complete absence of this crap :) ...

Yeeeessss. Playing as Aloy was amazingly refreshing and genuinely surreal. Thank you, GG!

Yes-yes-yes to all of the above. I loved the idea of the reboot, I was just really disappointed with its execution. The bolded in particular is what I find really disappointing.

It's definitely interesting how Chloe and Lara have an almost identical origin story, but only one is actually well written. What a difference it makes.

The writing of the new TR games is just incredibly bad, I like her design but it's hard to be seen as a good character with those writers lol

Always liked Chloe, can't wait to play this game in the near future. ND has been pretty good when it comes to this.

Arklite

Haven't played Lost Legacy but I can see what they're getting at from playing UC2. TR is at an odd position where they're trying to push exposition and personal struggle but Lara contrasts all of that with her fighting strength. Oddly, she's sort of boring, particularly in Rise. The 'old' Croft had flair; a wise cracking acrobat with dual pistols. A paper thin caricature sure, but immediately more interesting than a pamphlet on depression and anger management that new Lara seems to represent.

I don't dislike new Lara, but Chloe does seem to be a more interesting representation of a similar role.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

This summarizes most of my feelings.

Tomb Raiser is ridiculous anyhow. She gets a rebar in her side, she pulls it out and next minute she's spelunking and killing people and its like she was never injured. That's the real supernatural element there in the TR games; not that
weird storm

I thought the article did give this feeling of competition and only one spot for the best female character of them all. I wasn't talking about any post here in particular.

About the rest of your post, I find it a fair assessment. Although I'd be less harsh on Lara. I can't say I loved the 2013 reboot story or Lara's characterization, but I thought in Rise they really imrproved both things. I found Lara to be quite a cool character in it and the story much improved compared to the previous game.

Soar

Inconsistent is the primary characteristic of the new Lara. I mean, headshotting enemies in the face with the bow will never get old, but there are so many cringe parts with the dialogue and delivery. You'd think after murdering 100 guys she would stop going "oh my god, oh my god." and just get shit done and deal with the feelings inwardly after the crisis. Sometimes I felt like I'm playing a psychopath to be honest where all the supposedly vulnerability is just on the surface and she's saying those things because she thinks that's what a normal person would do.

Renekton

...there are scenes later in the story that see Chloe dealing with some major personal issues. The fact Naughty Dog doesn't fear showing Chloe crying later on in the game shows her sensitivity
Quick question about this as I'm noob at politics:

Is it important that the female protagonist shows a vulnerable side?

BeeDog

Without going into the specifics mentioned in the article and disregarding how potent/"vulnerable" these characters are, Chloe at least has a character. The major gripe I always had with new-Croft is that she's so blandly written and one-note. It's simply not interesting to hear her open her mouth and spout out rote lines. In that sense, Chloe is superior because she also has deeper ties to the mythology that The Lost Legacy examines.

UrbanRats

I mean this type of "It's time for Lara to move over" drivel, is nothing new.

I remember articles with this nonsense for Oni's Konoko, i remember them for Fear Effect's Ana.
Basically every other female main character who was half action star, half sexy lady, was supposed to take Lara's place for some reason.

Now it's more pointless than ever, because despite her legacy, Lara Croft is basically no one in the grand scheme of things, the new games are popular, but they don't occupy the spot the old ones used to have, in terms of gaming icons.

Not that i think Chloe will ever manage to occupy that spot, like all the other supposed substitutes before her, she'll come and go.
It's not her fault either, it's just that there isn't enough space for that type of icon and mascot, anymore.
Hell, even New Lara couldn't de-throne Old Lara, in terms of iconic status (when you ask people who they think of, when they hear the name Lara Croft, i'm sure they think about the PS1 era Lara).
Which isn't even a bad thing, since it was a stupid concept anyway.

We need interesting characters more than iconic mascots.

The Lara Croft I want specifically comes attached to a fun and challenging set of platforming controls and abilities, which none of the pretenders to the throne can lay claim to.

Top Bottom