• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar "Japanese players are begging for Final Fantasy 16 on Steam after the PS5 price hike"

Lasha

If that's the case why does the US get zero price increase, while Canada goes up? When both of these places are located in the same general location and both their currency exchange effects against the Yen have been the same the past 5 years.
Amazon will ship a US PS5 to me in Asia for 20$ by air. Shipping millions of consoles in containers is a fraction of that. Transport costs are not as significant of a factor as is the cost of manufacturing and materials. Again, costs will be based on USD or USD exchange rates so there is less of a need to adjust the dollar price.

You're so transparent
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's a dumb move by Sony.

They're not exactly killing it in Japan.

This will just piss off customers on the fence.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FF XVI for PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s first party titles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS5 price increase or you can kiss your business goodbye.
captain-america-i-understand.gif

lyan

Xbox is strong in the US, so they didn't want to fudge the price.

Just to prove currency exchange effect is a BS statement, Japan got bumped up 10% yet Sony does their quarterly earnings in Yen. Local sales dont get affected by currency swings since it's the exact same currency. Also, despite shipping costs going up during covid, PS5 is made in Japan or China. So transportation costs to serve Japan will be a lot lower than shipping half way around the world.

Yet Japan still got a 10% hike like other regions.
The consolidated Sony reports in yen, but the PlayStation (SIE) management gets paid in usd.

Wohc

Banned
Any explanation as to why Japan gets the price hike but the US does not? Seems backwards.
Because it's the most important market for Sony. I remember when the PS4 was released and had some shortages. They send almost all European PS4 stock to UK, because Xbox was strong there, They also gave the waiting UK fans Pizza + blankets while it was a shitshow in Germany.

Chukhopops

I don’t care for Square anymore (I’ve reached after many years the final step of acceptance) but I hope all good JP devs adopt PC as a main or secondary platform. It basically benefits everyone in the long run.

Tams

Gold Member
Lol.

The PC gaming scene in Japan is pretty small, and a lot of what you can find readily is on the lower end. Quite pricey as well.

Then again, getting a PS5 has been literally a lottery.

Oh, and the price of Steam Deck in Japan is completely off-putting. So combine that with there not being a big scene for it spread with, it ain't going to be going anywhere noticeable.

The cheapest Steam Deck (64GB) is 59,800 yen. The disc PS5 is around 55,000 yen. The digital version around 44,000. I suppose you're more likely to get a Steam Deck and you could make up a lot with cheaper games. Most Japanese people do not even know about Steam though.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Xbox is strong in the US, so they didn't want to fudge the price.

Just to prove currency exchange effect is a BS statement, Japan got bumped up 10% yet Sony does their quarterly earnings in Yen. Local sales dont get affected by currency swings since it's the exact same currency. Also, despite shipping costs going up during covid, PS5 is made in Japan or China. So transportation costs to serve Japan will be a lot lower than shipping half way around the world.

Yet Japan still got a 10% hike like other regions.
For big companies, shipping halfway across the world barely registers on their balance sheets.

Last edited:

Neofire

The PC isn't just a machine for gaming, which justify paying more if they are planning to use it for their work and hobby too (video producers, 3D modellers, photographers, small business owners, digital artists, musicians, streamers, professionals working from home etc). Many people might already have a PCs for these non-gaming purpose, and now they want to do gaming on these existing PCs instead of buying a new consoles to save money.
I don't own a gaming PC and I even know that just because I "own" one doesn't mean it's a gaming PC. Having a PC to stream or using it to work from home does not mean it has the specs to run a game like ff16. This isn't Minecraft my dude.

Firstly there is hardly any ps5 in Japan. And what exist disappear in milliseconds so cut us some slack... If a 50€ is going to make you giving second thoughts if you need this item then really you have to check your priorities and financial situation first and then worry for a console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Amazon will ship a US PS5 to me in Asia for 20$ by air. Shipping millions of consoles in containers is a fraction of that. Transport costs are not as significant of a factor as is the cost of manufacturing and materials. Again, costs will be based on USD or USD exchange rates so there is less of a need to adjust the dollar price.

This is the craziest post I've read on here in a long time. You are clueless.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't own a gaming PC and I even know that just because I "own" one doesn't mean it's a gaming PC. Having a PC to stream or using it to work from home does not mean it has the specs to run a game like ff16. This isn't Minecraft my dude.
Well in that case, you should understand the logic of people saving money by switching to PC (which they can use or already use for other purposes) for gaming, and that it isn’t a simple apple-to-apple comprison.

BabyYoda

Banned
Love how this marginal increase is somehow a problem after nearly 3 years of the console being released :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Clearly the people complaining about it didn't feel the need to buy it in the last 3 years, what's the rush now? Waiting for price decreases to save a few pennies? Might as well wait for the pro models and get a used PS5 on the cheap, problem solved.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Sometimes the poors like to overspend on luxieries not befitting their station in life, like a new Final Fantasy game. We try to tell them its not meant to be but they keep trying to dream.

Sometimes the poor can't afford proper education and don't understand that "poor" is inherently plural when used as a noun, so "the poors" doesn't exist. 😂

SkylineRKR

Does this game come out tomorrow or something? They knew FFXVI would release on it for how long now? They didn't want to spend the original RRP on the console either.

We don't know about the shipments once FFXVI releases, which takes over a full year still or perhaps more.

Or save up, you've got ample time.

Ozzie666

Sony trying really hard to usher in the return of the Sony PS3 era of hubris. Only this time they have the hard ware to survive the storm. As a long time Sony fan, I'm really not liking a lot of their generation and behaviors this generation. It's not longer for the players, it's for the share holders and bottom line, never have been nor ever will be my friend.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
so pls port it to the machine which is more expensive?

are they high?

Or maybe they already have a laptop/PC, and want to save money by buying the game playing it on their existing PC instead of spending few hundreds on a new Playstation 5 just for a game

Boglin

As someone living in Japan but earns income from a US pension, I understand the price hike completely. It's almost like I've been given over a 30% raise in the past 5 months due to how weak the yen has grown compared to the dollar.

Sometimes the poor can't afford proper education and don't understand that "poor" is inherently plural when used as a noun, so "the poors" doesn't exist. 😂
I'm fairly sure he was writing "the poors" with tongue in cheek. It's a fairly common change in language that's usually both intentional and playful. It's used in an attempt to show a person isn't being serious.

Dzab

Love how this marginal increase is somehow a problem after nearly 3 years of the console being released :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Clearly the people complaining about it didn't feel the need to buy it in the last 3 years, what's the rush now? Waiting for price decreases to save a few pennies? Might as well wait for the pro models and get a used PS5 on the cheap, problem solved.
It hasn't even been two years, and there's been a shortage, not everyone has been able to get their hands on one. Imagine finally having the chance to get one and it's become more expensive after time instead of going down in price

Yet everyone saying PlayStation games coming to PC won’t faze console sales at all. IF this is legitimate, this could be a sign of things to come especially in those regions that can’t find or don’t want a PS5 due to the price hike and if many more games come to PC in a timely manner.

Last edited:
A PC/Laptop doesn't equal to a Gaming PC/Laptop
Of course it doesn't but most likely you will still be able to run the game. I played a lot of games on my non-gaming laptop. Games were at 720p 15-20fps with all low settings and laptop about to burst into flames but I still got to play.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The game was already announced for PC. Probably 12-18 months from the PS5 launch, which is not a bad wait at all. Baka Japanese gamers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lol.

The PC gaming scene in Japan is pretty small, and a lot of what you can find readily is on the lower end. Quite pricey as well.

Then again, getting a PS5 has been literally a lottery.

Oh, and the price of Steam Deck in Japan is completely off-putting. So combine that with there not being a big scene for it spread with, it ain't going to be going anywhere noticeable.

The cheapest Steam Deck (64GB) is 59,800 yen. The disc PS5 is around 55,000 yen. The digital version around 44,000. I suppose you're more likely to get a Steam Deck and you could make up a lot with cheaper games. Most Japanese people do not even know about Steam though.

The thread is literally about Japanese players asking for a PC port.

Top Bottom