• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesTM 92 [Mass Effect 2, Dark Void, Darksiders]

Mass Effect 2 - 10
Army of Two: The 40th Day - 6
Dark Void - 6
Alien Breed Evolution - 7
Darksiders - 6
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8
Rogue Warrior - 2
Tales of Monkey Island: Rise of the Pirate God - 8

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Subliminal said:
Mass Effect 2 - 10
Army of Two: The 40th Day - 6
Dark Void - 6
Alien Breed Evolution - 7
Darksiders - 6
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8
Rogue Warrior - 2
Tales of Monkey Island: Rise of the Pirate God - 8

:O Do they give out 10s frequently?

Majmun

Oh GOD, Masse Effect 2 :drool

lol, Dark Avoid. It seems the demo was a nice indication of the final product.

What? They gave Darksiders a 6? :lol

Gowans

Need to hurry up with Dragon Age so I can replay ME1 to get ready.

What are all the features this month?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RSTEIN said:
:O Do they give you 10s frequently?

Its the 9th game in their mag to get a 10.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Shattered Memories 8/10 is well deserved.

RSTEIN

AltogetherAndrews said:
I've played the first and other Bioware games. Gaming for necrophiliacs is sort of their M.O. But hey, maybe this one is totally not a Bioware game.

Just keep in mind that you look incredibly dumb when you comment on a game that you've never played.

Also, For those intrested

Class of 2009 (Not really GOTY but more a look back on gaming trends and what's to come)

Street Fighter IV
GTA: TLAD
Flower
Battlefield 1943
Murumasa: Demon Blade
Dead Space: Extraction
NSMB Wii
Demon's Souls

Top 10 Games of 2009

10. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
9. Left 4 Dead 2
8. Flower
7. Resident Evil 5
6. The Beatles: Rock Band
5. Street Fighter IV
4. Dj Hero
3. Assassin's Creed II
2. Uncharted 2
1. Demon's Souls

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Subliminal said:
Mass Effect 2 - 10
CtrlC, CtrlV from the hype thread:

+ One of the most memorable opening sequences ever.

+ Improved combat. It not only rivals dedicated 'cover-shooters', it actually betters them (aside from Gears 2 and Uncharted).

+ Brilliant dialogue interrupt system.

+ More refined inventory/equipment management. Improvements to weapons, armour etc (which carry across all party members) are carried out on the Normandy via 'research documents' that you buy or find. Quality of the research is dependant on the 'elements' that you find when scanning planets.

+ Less planets to explore, but much more varied and diverse. Some kick off quests that send you off to other planets/locations.

+ Near 'miraculous' art direction. All the worlds create a cohesive looking universe, but are never derivative or repetitive.

+ Sharper cinematics. Snappier editing, restless camera movement.

+ Memorable, well written and deep characters (a career best for Bioware).

- Repercussions of choices made in the first game aren't as keenly felt as they'd have liked

10/10

RSTEIN said:
Just keep in mind that you look incredibly dumb when you comment on a game that you've never played.

This might work better if I believed for a second that you regularly offer similar advise to those who offer overwhelmingly positive commentary.

In any case, it can't be that negative of a comment. People liked ME, and that was crazy sterile. So I guess sterile is good.

Durante

It's too bad that I won't be able to take my data from ME1 to 2.
(I'm switching from 360 to PC)

Subliminal said:
Also, For those intrested
1. Demon's Souls
So, is this a second media GoTY for DS? Awesome.

I sometimes wonder whether AltogetherAndrews is jett's alt. account. Chin up buddy.

I'll take it under GamesTM's advisement that playing ME2 probably won't be like fucking a dead person. It'll be even better!

hednik4am

EatChildren said:
The Shattered Memories 8/10 is well deserved.

oh i hope so... lets hope that the PS2 version is up to snuff...

and more so it seems like darksiders is a love hate relationship with people... ive seen more hate lately though

corrosivefrost said:
Darksiders deserves better than a 6.

Seemed pretty blah in the two or so hours I gave the game. I understand why people like it and maybe it gets really fucking amazing later on, but there wasn't much of a hook, in presentation or gameplay. The lack of identity doesn't help, in my opinion; I'm totally alright with games borrowing from others, but it doesn't feel like Darksiders does a whole lot to improve on anything it borrows.

And judging by the thread here, there are so many Zelda references that I wonder if the overwhelmingly positive reception isn't more about Zelda blueballs than it is about the game itself.

RSTEIN

AltogetherAndrews said:
This might work better if I believed for a second that you regularly offer similar advise to those who offer overwhelmingly positive commentary.

I'm not giving advice. Just saying you're being stupid. I guess you never played Mario 3? You know, Mario 2 was shit so I guess 3 had to be shit as well, right? Just relax and play the games rather than waste everyone's time with your insightful opinions.

RSTEIN said:
Just relax and play the games rather than waste everyone's time with your insightful opinions.

I made one comment, you're the one who just had to comment an thereby spurred on a conversation about it. Just saying.

vermadas

I'm starting to wish that some of the people returning from the culling in the Epic Mickey thread a few months back were given permanent vacations from this forum. Oh well...

Nice score for ME2.

Arnie

corrosivefrost said:
Darksiders deserves better than a 6.
I'm 8 hours through currently and things are pretty average for me. If I had to score it currently I would definitely be aiming at the 6 area. Don't expect much love from EDGE either.

Congratulations ME2, can't wait to pick you up. You don't look sterile, neither did the original and neither did KOTOR.

Big pat on the back to Demon Souls. I really want to play it at some point but I have never imported a game and don't really want to. Please Atlus, find somebody to distribute this one in Europe.

On a serious note, I sure do hope these comments about the improved combat is true. The one thing that makes me hesitant to take that at face value is the fact that complaints about the combat in ME1 seemed to crop up in postmortems only. But GamesTM isn't exactly loose with praise, so I'll believe it for now.

EatChildren

AltogetherAndrews said:
On a serious note, I sure do hope these comments about the improved combat is true. The one thing that makes me hesitant to take that at face value is the fact that complaints about the combat in ME1 seemed to crop up in postmortems only. But GamesTM isn't exactly loose with praise, so I'll believe it for now.

There's a base for comparison now. Even if some people didnt want to see it from the start, it became obvious in the end how clunky it was. ME2's combat being described as better can only be a good thing. How good 'better' is is impossible to determine until we play.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Seemed pretty blah in the two or so hours I gave the game. I understand why people like it and maybe it gets really fucking amazing later on, but there wasn't much of a hook, in presentation or gameplay. The lack of identity doesn't help, in my opinion; I'm totally alright with games borrowing from others, but it doesn't feel like Darksiders does a whole lot to improve on anything it borrows.

And judging by the thread here, there are so many Zelda references that I wonder if the overwhelmingly positive reception isn't more about Zelda blueballs than it is about the game itself.

I felt it was unique enough and tried a lot. Putting a God of War style action-type combat system into the game with the ability to upgrade moves/weapons with currency/experience added something new to the standard Zelda formula of hack hack hack hack slash.

I'd probably give it an 8.5, but I'm surprised they rated it as low Army of Two, which just seems like a very generic third person coop shooter.

AltogetherAndrews said:

Having had hands-on time with ME2 myself, I agree with GamesTM's comments about the combat. It's a very noticeable improvement.

canova said:
Darksiders deserves much better, it's a solid, polished game. I'd give it 9/10

It just doesn't seem to have much of an identity, and environments, at least initially, being all "destroyed" without the "beauty" hurt it a bit too, in my opinion. Through every scenario I found myself thinking "oh, this is from [insert action and/or adventure game] (but not as good)" Functional blah, seemed like a solid 6 to me.

Red

The summary really sounds to me like ME2 has remedied nearly all the things I hated about ME1. As much as I disliked the first game, I can't help but be excited by the sequel.

Crunched said:
The summary really sounds to me like ME2 has remedied nearly all the things I hated about ME1. As much as I disliked the first game, I can't help but be excited by the sequel.

Yeah, I'm getting there too. I just hope the PC version comes with some decent textures this time, and is better optimized. Is that releasing at the same time?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, I'm getting there too. I just hope the PC version comes with some decent textures this time, and is better optimized. Is that releasing at the same time?

This time it's being made by Bioware and will be released at the same time.

FrankT

Darksiders really has been going back and forth on a purchase or not. Anyhow, 9.5 from OXM and 10 here looks like good things from ME2. I haven't picked up any games since AC2 and L4D2 so I'm ready.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AltogetherAndrews said:

Plenty of amazing games are blah in the first 2 hours. Sure, that's bad design, but it's also kind of stupid to make an opinion on a game's quality by playing 10% of it.

thetrin said:
Plenty of amazing games are blah in the first 2 hours. Sure, that's bad design, but it's also kind of stupid to make an opinion on a game's quality by playing 10% of it.

Maybe if I was a game critic. I'm just a gamer with precious little time to enjoy games, so an initial hook is quite important, be it attractive environments, addictive treasure hunting or satisfying combat, or hints of good things to come. If everything about a game feels blah from the onset and three hours, and as it is in the case of Darksiders, cloned without refinement, then I'm not going to stick around past those three hours just in case the game suddenly becomes awesome, and its own game.

And for the record, I can't recall a single recent game that remained blah for hours. JRPGs perhaps, but then I don't play those either.

What did gamesTM say about it?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Durante said:
It's too bad that I won't be able to take my data from ME1 to 2.
(I'm switching from 360 to PC)

So, is this a second media GoTY for DS? Awesome.

You feel you'll miss out on much? Have they mentioned how the game handles stuff related to the first game.

Zzoram

AltogetherAndrews said:

Considering that most people never beat games, any game that has several bad hours at the beginning should be punished for it because a huge chunk of people will never get past that.

Mass Effect 2 - 10

obamasip.gif

Darksiders - 6

v2td3p.gif

So pumped for ME2.

Not going to argue about the Darksiders score but the game I played was magnificent.

Top Bottom