• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesTM 94 (God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII)

GTM_094.jpg

Reviews

God Of War 3 - 8
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 7
Infinite Space - 6
Way of the Samurai 3 - 3
Just Cause 2 - 7
Final Fantasy XIII - 8
Yakuza 3 - 6
Alice in Wonderland - 8
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - 8
White Knight Chronicles - 5
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island - 7
Napoleon: Total War - 8
Tomena Sanner - 8
GTI Club Supermini Festa! - 4
Aliens Vs Predator - 5

Davidion

Oooof, AvP getting ripped all over the place. Shame, since I was looking forward to it. :(

Guess I'll have to wait for Colonial Marines to get a better AvP fix.

Shurs

It's nice to see a magazine actually use the whole scale. though I wish they'd all use a 5 point scale.

Bentendo

Wow, Edge and now GamesTM? Alice in Wonderland must actually be a pretty decent game.

Too bad for Infinite Space though... I REALLY wanted that to be a perfect game. :lol

TheOddOne said:
Ehhhh....

It's a review of the super-stylised and apparently amazing DS game that isn't actually really based on the film, not the crappy Wii tie in. Different games, devs, everything.

SecretBonusPoint said:
I assume the low Yakuza 3 score is due to cut content and not a reflection of the awesome game itself?

Nope - they say it's a 6 because it's just as flawed a game as its predecessors.

Empty

generaldane said:
According to what exactly? This one review?

Well i expected it to be well received, being a platinum game, now it isn't i'm interested in finding out other opinions, and the japanese release is probably a good start. I guess i should have phrased it as "considered a fairly average game".

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Xater said:

It really doesn't deserve more. Concept is cool but the game is bit too linear and formulatic. Also awful character desing and plot doesn't help it. It is still a worthy RPG and as I said concept is cool but game has just too many flaws.

Bentendo

whatevermort said:
It's a review of the super-stylised and apparently amazing DS game that isn't actually really based on the film, not the crappy Wii tie in. Different games, devs, everything.

Actually, it's the same developer.

Source

But still, the DS game is supposedly a lot better.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mt Heart Attack said:
Is this magazine any good?
Judging by these scores it looks like Edge's twin brother to me (which is a good thing:p)

just my opinion here, but it's kind of like if edge were a little less cerebral and aimed toward the common man, but still utilized the whole score and was printed on awesome paper. gamesTM is my favorite gaming magazine really.

Dascu

wrowa said:
Why is that funny? GamesTM is more or less copying Edge, you can't deny that :p
If "copying Edge" equals trying to give scores based on quality instead of marketing budget, then I'm cool with that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SecretBonusPoint said:
I assume the low Yakuza 3 score is due to cut content and not a reflection of the awesome game itself?

I think the previous game got a similar score, a 6 in GTM is still above average. Most of the reviews I've read say that the Yakuza franchise is just treading water aside from the plot.

Games TM has some beef with Toshihiro Nagoshi. The magazine went over to Japan to interview him at the time of the PAL Yakuza 2 release (some time after the JP release). He came across as a total dickhead in the interview, hardly bothering to answer their questions and totally ignoring some of them, with the writing staff ending things saying essentially 'never meet you heroes'. He seemed to have disappeared up his own arse, he had a ludicrous hairdo, a stupid beard, a fake tan, and showed nothing but contempt for the fans outside Japan. I doubt it played into this score, but it's funny anyway.

Blablurn said:
are they pulling an EDGE?

EDIT: beaten. damn you, Junior Member!

I don't really see it. Nothing in here is really that controversial - at least not as controversial as the 5 that EDGE gave Final Fantasy XIII. You could get on Bad Company 2's tits for the single player, Way of the Samurai 3 is a budget title which never fares well critically, both AvP and White Knight have had a universally "ok, not great" reception, and Yakuza 3 may have gotten a lower score due to the cut content. It's to be expected really. I've always maintained that GamesTM = an alternative EDGE with more lenient final scores.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Judging by these scores it looks like Edge's twin brother to me (which is a good thing:p)
It's great. It's basically Edge, lot's of features, good writing, but with less of an industry focus (although a lot more so than any comparable American magazine).

faridmon

i said and will say it again. I think Games TM is the best magazine review wise. anything else is debatable but i would put Edge and Ngamer over it content wise.
My Own humble opinion of course.

Blablurn said:
are they pulling an EDGE?

EDIT: beaten. damn you, Junior Member!
Hey, I have a namexD

Subliminal said:
:lol :lol :lol
I don't know how that is funny, I don't live in England and all I know about GamesTM and its reviews are those ten words published on metacritic... their scores remind me of Edge (you know, God of War 3, Yakuza 3, "whole scale" and whatnot), that's all.

beelzebozo said:
just my opinion here, but it's kind of like if edge were a little less cerebral and aimed toward the common man, but still utilized the whole score and was printed on awesome paper. gamesTM is my favorite gaming magazine really.
Thanks for the opinion, sounds good.

faridmon

fortified_concept said:
WKC deserved that score. It looks like L5 is another JRPG developer that fails this gen.
they have Prof. Layton and Inazumi 11 to win me over. anything else is just an extra. Having said that, WKC is not that bad, really.

faridmon said:
i said and will say it again. I think Games TM is the best magazine review wise. anything else is debatable but i would put Edge and Ngamer over it content wise.
I would concur (aside from the Ngamer?!), but with the games I've played I more consistently agree with GamesTM than anywhere else (or maybe PCGamer UK, but that mag has been a bit light in the last couple years and I always feel jipped paying for a useless dvd).

What kind of stuff does NGamer do?

Fuzz Rez

Banned
fortified_concept said:
WKC deserved that score. It looks like L5 is another JRPG developer that fails this gen.

Inazuma Eleven games, Dragon Quest IX and Jeanne d'Arc disagrees :mad: I will give them benefit of doubt and will wait for their new games.

Himuro said:
Been meaning to pick up Way of the Samurai 3. How is it? I loved the first one.

According to Eurogamer, it's pretty much the same. And not in a good way.

Mt Heart Attack said:

Yes, it's approximately as good as Edge. Some people prefer one, some the other, but they're both much better than your average gaming mag.

pakkit

Banned
whatevermort said:
Actually the Wii version is supposed to be very impressive both visually and from a gameplay standpoint.

Metacritic Link

Top Bottom