• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamestm Top 15 Games machines of all time (reader poll)

Cipherr

Well, before this turns into a massive gamestm bashfest - who here actually thinks that list is awesome and accurate?

Oh hey yea, thats a good idea. Everyone who should no longer be taken seriously please raise your h... I mean everyone who agrees with this fine list, speak up.

Ebris

10 PC

1 XBOX 360
1323312777333.jpg

Randomizer

Xbox Live turned shitty after 360..

I never used it on the original Xbox. And that's not really my opinion it's the reason all my friends who play exclusively on 360 give as their answers as to why. They love cross party chat and apparently can't play without it now *shrugs* I play most single player games exclusively and party chat draws me out of the experience and distracts me.

what the hell is wrong with you people

i literally cannot make it more obvious without completely ruining the joke

its so damn over the top as is

The Internet and online communities in general have jaded me into believing that even the most blatantly ridiculous remarks could be meant to be serious statements.

bullshit but okay.

#1 should be SNES, PS2, or DS (imo on the last one, dunno how many "serious" gamers would agree with me)

I'd disagree with SNES (Genesis completely dominated it in certain genres i.e. sports) but PS2 or DS, certainly.

NES at #14 is headscratching. That thing defined console gaming as we know it, had the market to itself and no real competition. And Beaten by the Gamecube? Nintendo's worst selling console? Okay...

The Dreamcast is wildly overrated here. Nice system, but it crashed and burned so fast it's not really worth owning over anything else in this list, especially since just about every exclusive worth playing showed up on the Xbox, PS2, PS3, GC, or 360. Why it ranks #7 and the Xbox(1) is completely absent is a mystery, since the Xbox had a bigger impact on gaming (Halo) than any single DC title.

PC needs to be higher, but not in the #1 spot. most games by far, but cost of ownership has always been high, and user friendliness has always been low.

And 360 at #1? Notoriously unreliable hardware aside (worst in generations in my opinion), the 360 has very few games that don't show up cross platform. Live is nice, but it's not really doing a whole lot the PC hasn't done for a long time, and does so while charging a fee. I don't really see the case for it.

Haunted

ok, serious time.

I don't see how anyone could make an argument for why PC shouldn't be number 1.
The Japanese support in general is relatively weak. jRPGs, action games like NG, GoW or DMC are severely underrepresentated.

Yeah, your tastes would have to be pretty narrow to consider any other library stronger than the PCs... but I wouldn't say it's completely impossible.

For me, the PC is clearly the #1 gaming system, now and forever. Can't beat its variety and history.

ToxicAdam

That makes more sense, still awful though as this is from an enthusiast magazine and I find it very hard to believe that my follow UK gamers have such bad taste.

You find it hard to believe that people who actually waste their time to fill out on-line polls have bad taste?

Brashnir

I don't see how anyone could make an argument for why PC shouldn't be number 1.

It's hard to make an argument against it in absolute terms, but since this was a reader poll, a few things work against it.

PC is something that has always been there, and has evolved so much over the years that it doesn't necessarily trip any nostalgia wires when people think of their favorite gaming machines over the years.

Further, a lot of people see their PCs as being a more general computing device, and given how the question may have been worded, it may not have sprung to a lot of minds when asked what their favorite "gaming machine" is.

see5harp

I suppose if we are talking throughout history, sure the PC has been everything to everyone. I still think as a single box, in the modern day, there hasn't been a box more influential on the rest of the industry as the XBOX 360, both in positives and negatives. It was on most tech sites best devices of the decade list but whether it deserves to be #1 all time is arguable.

Satchel

Banned
Reader poll?

Makes even less sense then that the DS is missing.

I also think people need to consider more than just the games on a console when judging what constitutes a 'best console'. Because judging it on games alone is far too subjective, especially when older folk with an inability to remove nostalgia goggles are involved.

The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are both far better consoles than almost everything that have come before it for the simple fact that not only do they have great game libraries that included a lot of classics from previous gens, but they do so much more than just play games.

It's barely even a fair comparison on that front.

Dreamcast needs to be on that list far higher simply because it was so ahead of it's time.

NIGHT-

This being a user voted poll makes even more sense. Most people don't like to game on there Pc, other then a Facebook game here or there. Not to mention, most people aren't gonna spend the cash to turn there PC into a gaming PC when they can get a Xbox 360 or PS3 for a lot cheaper

ghibli99

Reader poll, huh? Makes sense... dominated by what's popular now with a healthy dose of nostalgia. Life continues, moving on.

boingball

If you remove the 360 from the list, the list does not look to bad, even though personally I probably would change some stuff around (no DS seems strange, Gamecube should probably be removed).

As it stands it is of course a joke. I assume this is intentional trolling by them to get hits.

Edit: Just noticed that it was a reader poll. Ok, then the list makes sense. Probably reflects the reader base.

Lothars

I suppose if we are talking throughout history, sure the PC has been everything to everyone. I still think as a single box, in the modern day, there hasn't been a box more influential on the rest of the industry as the XBOX 360, both in positives and negatives. It was on most tech sites best devices of the decade list but whether it deserves to be #1 all time is arguable.
I don't think it's arguable at all, I think it being rated number 1 is insanity, It deserves to be on the list but I would say in the lower half of the list.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The 360 is a good system, but I couldn't place it above the DS and the PS2 (haven't played SNES lol). Both have tremendous, varied libraries. When it comes to exclusives, which are important in these conversations, it doesn't quite stack up. I wouldn't object to it being named the best home console of this generation, but of all time? Ehhh.

And of course, PC at no. 10 is absurd, not much else to say about that.

Randomizer

ok, serious time.

The Japanese support in general is relatively weak. jRPGs, action games like NG, GoW or DMC are severely underrepresentated.

Yeah, your tastes would have to be pretty narrow to consider any other library stronger than the PCs... but I wouldn't say it's completely impossible.

For me, the PC is clearly the #1 gaming system, now and forever. Can't beat its variety and history.

See it has a sort of unfair advantage in this regard as it is an ever-present games machine with a library of titles decades long. If I added all the games on the Nintendo consoles past and present I'm sure it would give the PC a run for it's money in regards to variety, discounting emulators obviously as if they are included PC wins.

And your reasoning is the exact reason why I prefer consoles games over PC games as my tastes are more centred around Japanese games. Of course the only true answer is that nobody is right or wrong as it is all purely subjective to people's own personal tastes and preferences. Anyone stating absolutes that can't be questioned are deluded and need to learn to understand that not everyone loves what they love.

mclem

I don't think people are focussing on the *true* controversy here.

GamesTM - a *UK* magazine, I stress - putting the C64 above the Speccy on such a chart?

That's tantamount to *treason*. And wrong, too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't think people are focussing on the *true* controversy here.

GamesTM - a *UK* magazine, I stress - putting the C64 above the Speccy on such a chart?

That's tantamount to *treason*. And wrong, too.

Keep in mind it's a reader poll, so the list doesn't reflect GamesTM's opinion. It's just a popularity contest.

See it has a sort of unfair advantage in this regard as it is an ever-present games machine with a library of titles decades long. If I added all the games on the Nintendo consoles past and present I'm sure it would give the PC a run for it's money in regards to variety, discounting emulators obviously as if they are included PC wins.

Yeah, that's why the PC isn't really comparable to consoles in the first place. Consoles have limited lifecycles, PC has been around has the dawn of gaming.

Top Bottom