• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop canceling Amico Intellivision pre-orders

Kdad

UFUgi6h.png

72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-dumpster-fire.rhorizontal.w700.gif

m2b81nz.jpg

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
The Amico system was originally due to launch in October 2020, but the Covid-19 pandemic pushed this back to April 2021, then again to fall 2021.

In August, Intellivision emailed pre-order customers and told them it had been delayed for a third time, and would be released on a yet-to-be confirmed date at the end of 2021, a deadline which has clearly also since been missed.

The company even started selling eight of its boxed launch games last October, despite the console not yet having a release date.

blink-182 wtf GIF

Ristifer

Not that I really care, but does this mean Earthworm Jim 4 is dead too?
Unfortunately, I think it's been dead for a while. Even before this news started being circulated as rumours.

It's a shame, too, since they had most of the original team back to develop it. Then the "gameplay" trailer was absolute fluff. Watching that thing and then playing Rayman Origins from 10+ years ago makes me realize how much I appreciate true artistic vision in games. Wish they could figure it out, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Pejo

I can't wait for the retrospect on why this thing failed so hard. Not because I hate it or anything, just completely mismanaged (and likely the market research wasn't done).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A slight GS tangent, didn't think this was worth making a new topic.

I'm in Toronto right now for a week, and holy shit why are game prices higher than US MSRP ?

I'm seeing new copies of Ghost Wire for 110 CAD, which is significantly higher than the $60 MSRP.

What the fuck is up with that ?

Last edited:

Fbh

Well hey, maybe they can upload the games to newgrounds or some other similar site where they'll feel right at home.

Didn't they release this console weeks ago? There was even an unboxing video

The unboxing was just a prototype.
It was basically a prototype system they assembled themselves and then put in a sample packing they got

daffyduck

Canadians getting ripped off big time on currency conversion? What else is new? I’m sure there are all kinds of fluff excuses for that.

Last edited:

Kdad

I'm in Toronto right now for a week, and holy shit why are game prices higher than US MSRP ?

I'm seeing new copies of Ghost Wire for 110 CAD, which is significantly higher than the $60 MSRP.

Thats odd, its $79 CAD (plus 13% Fed/Prov sales taxes) on the website. This is MSRP
The Deluxe Edition is 109.99 CAD plus tax MSRP

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thats odd, its $79 CAD (plus 13% Fed/Prov sales taxes) on the website. This is MSRP
The Deluxe Edition is 109.99 CAD plus tax MSRP

Oh, maybe that's the one I saw. But the box looked like the standard retail box to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The currency conversion should make it similar to US pricing. But I dont follow Ghost Wire. Thats got to be a special edition or something.

Typically games are: $60 US = $80 CDN and $70 US = $90 CDN

Aside from Alberta, all provinces have tax like 13-15% too. And gas, smokes and booze are way jacked up vs the US.

At my old company we had product selling for $10 at Walmart USA, it was $18 here. Currency exchange would made it $13, but it was $18. Both retailer and us jacked up prices.

Canada retail is controlled by a handful of big companies, so prices are high. Also Canada is always a region treated at a profit driver (profit %). Expectation at every company Ive worked at with a US or European HQ is Canada will never deliver huge profit $ (only 35-40 million people here), but at least make us have high profit % to help boost the overall company metrics.

It sucks, but that's the way it is here.

Last edited:
The VCS is actually more useful than the Amico. When you get tired of playing mobile games on it you can use it as a decent Linux server on your home network.

Yeah I guess I was wrong about the VCS; that thing was looking like a scam from the start and so much drama around it, but they did deliver a final product and it works as expected.

Still wish Sega did something like a VCS but for all of their retro systems. That boat's probably passed tho, what with MiSTER and Analogue doing really good hardware emulation with added features through FPGA. But having a home cabinet modeled after some of the arcade games like Outrun or Sega Water Ski, at least the controls part, would be cool for immersion.

clem84

Gold Member
They gave us an update on the situation. Those prices... wth?

0V0LIxX.jpg

A few weeks back I heard they have financial liabilities on a per-console basis relating to an earlier loan they took a while back, and that's why they have to jack up the price. No idea if this is true.

Regardless. I want this thing to succeed but let's be real, it will be very, very difficult with those prices.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They gave us an update on the situation. Those prices... wth?

0V0LIxX.jpg

A few weeks back I heard they have financial liabilities on a per-console basis relating to an earlier loan they took a while back, and that's why they have to jack up the price. No idea if this is true.

Regardless. I want this thing to succeed but let's be real, it will be very, very difficult with those prices.
Imagine paying $340 for this thing.

shoplifter

Even with the unhealthy fondness I have for the Intellivision, I wasn't going near this thing. Maybe now we'll get Night Stalker on consoles, though. It looks like it might be fun.

Solarstrike

You know you really fucked up when Gamestop, the same company the wise and personable Reggie Fils-Aimé gave up on as part of it's Board of Directors, cancels your shit

The Muppets Laughing GIF

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not that I really care, but does this mean Earthworm Jim 4 is dead too?
I would assume so since it was being completely funded by Intellivision. It's always possible they could get some investors to support porting it, but that assumes they have something good to show for their work so far.

Honestly, whole the system was absurd and doomed to fail there were actually a number of games they showed that looked like fun updates of classics. I hope they do something with that stuff.

I actually probably would have bought an Amico if it came out, not because I believe in it, but because I like oddware and have income to splurge on dumb shit, and there were a few games I was interested in.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
So they asked GS to cancel the preorders because they want to sell it at higher prices now due to the supply chain situation? Or is it greed?
And they went from like 100 to 300? Who’s going to be paying that much?

Last edited:
Top Bottom