• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop canceling Amico Intellivision pre-orders

So they asked GS to cancel the preorders because they want to sell it at higher prices now due to the supply chain situation? Or is it greed?
And they went from like 100 to 300? Who’s going to be paying that much?
They raised the price because they have to give $100 per console sold to Sudesh Aggarwal who loaned them over $810K. Even with the raised price I don't think they will make any real profit when they are only selling like 6 - 8K units.

So they asked GS to cancel the preorders because they want to sell it at higher prices now due to the supply chain situation? Or is it greed?
No. Gamestop had a placeholder release date for Amico and Intellivision didn't bother to tell them that it is no longer valid. Gamestop started automatically to charge people.
Intellivision just had failed crowdfunding attempt where they were forced to disclose their SEC filings which indicated that they have no manufacturing going on, software isn't ready and that they have only enough money to last until june.

DaGwaphics

The troubles they've had getting this thing out are unreal. How is it this difficult to get a box out with the guts of an outdated cellphone? 🤷‍♂️

SkylineRKR

The games looked like soulless cash ins from the get go. Moon Patrol was great in the arcade, but this newgrounds reject looks like shit. If they could look like, SoR4 and Dragon's Trap they might've had a thing (EWJ4 sort of looked okay).

This thing would've been sold at 300, good luck there.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No, the old price was $250. It was always stupid. They cancelled the preorders because they likely won't be able to fulfill them.

Last edited:
So sad. As one of the relatively few with a ton of Intellivision nostalgia, I was looking forward to seeing these come out. Certainly not convinced enough to buy one but would have waited for the eventual HP-Touchpad-like firesale.

After reading up on the subreddit, this has been an amazing shit show and sad they (well mainly TT) are just shitting on the legacy of the Intellivision.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an email sent to those who have pre-ordered the console directly from Intellivision, CEO Phil Adam lists a number of steps the company is taking in an attempt to reach the finish line and launch the system.

Most notably, Adam notes: “We have dramatically reined in operating costs, which unfortunately required a significant reduction in staff.

“Our resources are focused on engineering and testing to ensure we have a quality system, as we cannot succeed by producing anything less.”

Adam also states that Intellivision is licensing out its legacy IP to developers who want to release games on other platforms, claiming such licensing deals “will help fund [the] continued development of Amico”.

“A broader distribution of Intellivision classic IP will also help raise awareness of Intellivision while not directly competing with Amico because of Amico’s unique controllers and family-focused gaming adaptations,” Adam says.

Further trouble for the company has come in the number of customers attempting to cancel their pre-orders and have their initial payments refunded.

“We are slowly processing refund requests,” Adam says. “The public’s uncertainty of our status in the last few months have understandably led to an influx of pre-order refund requests.

“Because of reduced staff and financing requirements for continued operation, our responses to and processing of these requests has been delayed. Rest assured that our intention is to honor all refund requests.

“We will allocate a portion of all new funding and staff time to winding down the refund queue, while our primary focus is funding and completing a quality product ready for manufacturing.”

For now, Adam says Intellivision is still pressing ahead with plans to eventually release the console, stating that the company has started a test production run of consoles “that includes every aspect of the product including packaging”.

“It is critically important to show to our current/future investors, partners, and customers that we have built a sound platform that delivers on the in-home family experience, which requires our immediate focus on value engineering and hardening of the platform,” he says.

ManaByte

[/URL]

In an email sent to those who have pre-ordered the console directly from Intellivision, CEO Phil Adam lists a number of steps the company is taking in an attempt to reach the finish line and launch the system.

Most notably, Adam notes: “We have dramatically reined in operating costs, which unfortunately required a significant reduction in staff.

“Our resources are focused on engineering and testing to ensure we have a quality system, as we cannot succeed by producing anything less.”

Adam also states that Intellivision is licensing out its legacy IP to developers who want to release games on other platforms, claiming such licensing deals “will help fund [the] continued development of Amico”.

“A broader distribution of Intellivision classic IP will also help raise awareness of Intellivision while not directly competing with Amico because of Amico’s unique controllers and family-focused gaming adaptations,” Adam says.

Further trouble for the company has come in the number of customers attempting to cancel their pre-orders and have their initial payments refunded.

“We are slowly processing refund requests,” Adam says. “The public’s uncertainty of our status in the last few months have understandably led to an influx of pre-order refund requests.

“Because of reduced staff and financing requirements for continued operation, our responses to and processing of these requests has been delayed. Rest assured that our intention is to honor all refund requests.

“We will allocate a portion of all new funding and staff time to winding down the refund queue, while our primary focus is funding and completing a quality product ready for manufacturing.”

For now, Adam says Intellivision is still pressing ahead with plans to eventually release the console, stating that the company has started a test production run of consoles “that includes every aspect of the product including packaging”.

“It is critically important to show to our current/future investors, partners, and customers that we have built a sound platform that delivers on the in-home family experience, which requires our immediate focus on value engineering and hardening of the platform,” he says.
They're basically trying to compete against NINTENDO by focusing on the family friendly angle and the controllers.

The King Reaction GIF by CBS

BigBooper

Think of all those physical collector's edition games that no one will ever be able to play.

I was kind of interested in it at $150. When the first price hike came, I bailed. Now it's over twice the price it was then with one controller.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Think of all those physical collector's edition games that no one will ever be able to play.

I was kind of interested in it at $150. When the first price hike came, I bailed. Now it's over twice the price it was then with one controller.
Shame the physical games are just download tokens,
Still I hope they manage to squeeze out a few units to retail, ill still buy one but like I've said before I am a very niche consumer that likes video game odd ball electronics

nush

Gold Member

Intention doing all the heavy lifting here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup. Knew their games would come to other platforms. Skip Amico and wait for it on other systems.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) now lists the trademark entry for ‘Intellivision Amico’ as “dead”, implying it is no longer in legal use.

According to the site, Intellivision applied for the trademark in October 2018 and it was granted in September 2019, but was then ‘abandoned’ on June 20, 2022.

The change in status is due to Intellivision’s failure to file a ‘Statement of Use’, which has to be filed to show the USPTO how the registered trademark is being used in commerce.

Since the Amico still isn’t on sale, Intellivision can’t yet submit a Statement of Use, and has been continually filing extension requests to ask for more time.

Four of these requests have been approved to date, the last of which was approved in November 2021. However, it appears that no further extension requests have been made since then, causing the trademark to be marked as ‘abandoned’.

A notice of abandonment was posted by the USPTO last month stating: “The application above is abandoned because we did not receive within six months of the Notice of Allowance issue date a Statement of Use, or a Request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use.”

Although it now appears that the Amico trademark is dead, Intellivision still has two months to file a ‘petition to revive’, in which it must state that the delay was unintentional, then either provide a Statement of Use or request its fifth extension.

The trademark status is the latest in a line of apparent signs that the Amico could be in trouble.

amico-abandoned-768x354.jpg

Gambit2483

The troubles they've had getting this thing out are unreal. How is it this difficult to get a box out with the guts of an outdated cellphone? 🤷‍♂️

They wanted to get shelfspace in places like Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond...those places are notorious for being cutthroat with shelfspace competition/qualifiers...not looking good...in fact I'd say

xYjko78.jpg

We always bring these trademark renewals as if they mean anything at all.

These companies will renew basically ALL trademarks regardless of their intentions with the IPs.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Whoever has ATARI now is making Limited Run versions of Adventure. It is nuts.

Last edited:

wipeout364

We always bring these trademark renewals as if they mean anything at all.

These companies will renew basically ALL trademarks regardless of their intentions with the IPs.
I think that’s the point. They didn’t even bother to get the paperwork in for the only thing their company is supposed to be making and should be completely focused on. It’s not like EA renewing the trademark for Ultima which essentially means nothing but some people take to mean there is a new game coming.

I think that’s the point. They didn’t even bother to get the paperwork in for the only thing their company is supposed to be making and should be completely focused on. It’s not like EA renewing the trademark for Ultima which essentially means nothing but some people take to mean there is a new game coming.
Whoops, I posted that in the wrong thread.

I thought I posted it here.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-renews-viva-piñata-and-blast-corps-trademarks.1638682/

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I never wish any console, even the bad ones, to fail like this. But this car wreck could anyone see from a mile.

Top Bottom