• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop closing dem PS4 preorder floodgates?

casmith07

I preordered mine on Amazon but I think I will preorder a game or maybe the PS Eye at GameStop just to be a part of the launch day crowd. I remember the launch crowds for PS2 and it was an experience lol.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Every gamestop employee I ask about this just keeps saying "not gonna happen". Like they aren't contemplating it happening which is dumb.

Not being cynical when I say this, but with system launches, they should always prepare for the worst to occur. If everything turns out okay, you're good. If it doesn't, you're still good. =)

daveo42

Banned
The manager at my local Gamestop, which is a big one, said they're getting 30-40 Xboxs and more than 100 PS4's at launch.

Do they even have the space to hold all that extra stock? 100 PS4s in one store just sounds insane. Even if it is a big store.

I just hope taht Sony can deliver come launch. No word on productions issues for Sony yet I assume?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Or do you think they could be pulling a Wii and lowering the stock to create buzz?

"Got any Wii's in?"

"Nope.

"AWWWWwww.... Guess I'll call Wal-Mart :( "

lol, you actually believe that was a thing?

Xbox One, by comparison, is already noted to have significantly diminished supply compared to PS4's allotment, and yet its day one launch edition is STILL available for order.

If I were MS, I would be really worried about falling far behind in install base early. At some point because of the higher price even when availability of product is stable, the PS4 will continue to outsell the 180 as long as it costs more. So spotting Sony too much of a lead early on will create an insurmountable advantage, especially since the 180 is not likely to be purchased by anyone outside the United States at this point.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If I were MS, I would be really worried about falling far behind in install base early. At some point because of the higher price even when availability of product is stable, the PS4 will continue to outsell the 180 as long as it costs more. So spotting Sony too much of a lead early on will create an insurmountable advantage, especially since the 180 is not likely to be purchased by anyone outside the United States at this point.

I'm unsure why you would say this when Sony "came back" (in terms of hardware) while starting out quite a bit more expensive as well.

Software is king in the end.

x3sphere

Wow. Sony executives must be sitting pretty right about now. Even amazon launch edition outside of bundles are gone.

That's not a bad idea, though i would be too giddy of having a ps4 and opening it than selling it for more than 399.

Amazon launch day units "sold out" within a day or so of going up. I think they reserved a huge percentage of units for bundles though as those have been up for almost a month now and still come with guaranteed launch date delivery.

Amir0x

Banned

It's like I was saying in the other thread... unlike Sony, MS doesn't have Japan and (non-UK) Europe to fall back on to fill in the performance gap with a major North American underperformance. If MS flubs hard in the UK and America, they're essentially fucked.

That's what's scary.

Or positive, depending on how you look at it. Even though now that Microsoft reversed their DRM strategy, there is a clear message here... some things gamers are willing to fight for. And that means that in the future, even if only for a second, they will stop to consider what happened her this time before they do it again. So basically, if gamers proceed to ignore the system and the Xbox One has a rough start, the lesson Microsoft will have been taught will resonate a bit more.

Sony had to learn a similar lesson when they tried to tell us to get a second job for their painfully bloated, overdesigned and overpriced PS3 with the shittier versions of all multiplatform games and a mediocre controller. They learned that gamers do have a limit, and loyalty only goes so far.

I am not sure Sony would have learned that lesson if PS3 didn't have the rough start it did; I'm unsure Microsoft will learn the lesson unless XBO suffers a similar rough start.

raphanum

Yeah same with XB1. The guy told me that they would ship the amount that was preordered to each store.

Yep, that's what I was told, too. The store I've pre-ordered from where a friend of mine works told me that they're accepting pre-orders and that Sony/MS will then ship the SKU's required based on those numbers. So, I feel confident that there won't be any delays. Unless of course AU has a later launch date.

Holy crap, are we gonna be hearing news reports about stick ups and armed robberies for the PS Quadruple this Holiday season?

Sure seems like it with what a hawt product it is right now.

VillageBC

A custom chip that contains the cpu and gpu is not exactly off the shelf.

No, but it doesn't appear to have been customized nearly as much as the XB1 route with ESRAM is. In theory it's closer to the stock AMD Jaguar design and likely more of the expertise in mass producing that chip are worked out and translate over. Besides also being a physically smaller chip, they can produce more of them on the same available silicon space.

Good thing I pre-ordered mine on Amazon. I'd rather it ship to me since I will most likely be working at the time. I went to my local gamestop and they had about 17 Xbox One orders and had over 70 for PS4. It was surprising because the store I usually go to is very pro - xbox. The employees aren't but the town is so it's very surprising to see that turn of events

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My local GS said they can't tell me the split. Gah!

Man, all Sony has to do is launch in October and they got themselves an awesome holiday.

I preordered at both Best Buy and Amazon just to be safe. I'm getting one day one dammit.

Holy crap, are we gonna be hearing news reports about stick ups and armed robberies for the PS Quadruple this Holiday season?

Yikes I forgot about that.

Or positive, depending on how you look at it.

Yeah. I mean, for MS it's a terrible barometer.

Your main competitor blew through the day-one allocation, and now you're competing months later against bundles that are CHEAPER than your non-bundled product.

Radec

Now if Sony would release this thing by the end of October..

That-Would-Be-Great.jpg

Kazoo

I pre-ordered on Amazon as soon as the price was announced during the conference. Wasn't gonna take chances. And Gamestop has been known to take more pre-orders than they can fulfill at launch, so I wasn't gonna deal with them.

I did that as well and glad I did!!

...Now release it in October and that would make my year.

It's like I was saying in the other thread... unlike Sony, MS doesn't have Japan and (non-UK) Europe to fall back on to fill in the performance gap with a major North American underperformance. If MS flubs hard in the UK and America, they're essentially fucked.

They lost UK as soon as they said 429 pound imo

jwk94

There was a drive by at my wal-mart the day the PS3 came out.

NateDrake

I have one pre-ordered from Amazon, but it looks like my Best Buy is still taking in-store pre-orders. What does it cost to pre-order one there? I'd do it online but putting $400 on hold is just insane.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
While people are killing themselves on launch lines, I'm going to be cozy at home, waiting for Amazon/UPS to drop off my shiny new console.

Serious note, I'm surprised it has gone on for this long. Hope Sony can deliver.

Nags

Banned
I have one pre-ordered from Amazon, but it looks like my Best Buy is still taking in-store pre-orders. What does it cost to pre-order one there? I'd do it online but putting $400 on hold is just insane.

$25

I hate pre-ordering from best buy more than gs though. Had some bad experiences from them. The staff seem especially clueless about games (at least the ones I've been to).

Both the ps4 and xbox one have been on sale off and on on gamestops website.. ps4 will probably be back up again like numerous other times.

Krilekk

Banned
November NPD results/sales that we will get in December are going to be absolutely glorious (just to see what actually happens). Can't wait for it.

No, they won't. We'll see PS3 with 1.1 million, 360 with 1.7 million, X1 with 200.000 and PS4 with 350.000. And that is a best case scenario from todays perspective. In a reality with new iPads and other tablets you can cut every number by 20 %. Oh yeah, that and the $1 billion marketing budget that will be in full effect come September, that will most likely reverse the whole situation to X1 outselling PS4 in the US.

Nags

Banned
So if we're looking at October, the earliest... that's under 4 months away.
Fuck, that's close!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I pre-ordered on Amazon as soon as the price was announced during the conference. Wasn't gonna take chances. And Gamestop has been known to take more pre-orders than they can fulfill at launch, so I wasn't gonna deal with them.

Did the same thing myself.

BigDug13

No, they won't. We'll see PS3 with 1.1 million, 360 with 1.7 million, X1 with 200.000 and PS4 with 350.000. And that is a best case scenario from todays perspective. In a reality with new iPads and other tablets you can cut every number by 20 %. Oh yeah, that and the $1 billion marketing budget that will be in full effect come September, that will most likely reverse the whole situation to X1 outselling PS4 in the US.

Yep, people are clamoring for that mandatory living room camera and $500 weaker system. I can see the NPD's now going exactly as you describe. One thing Americans love right now is setting up a mandatory camera in their living room. I'm sure that $1 billion will turn that right around.

OnFire331

Are you serious? Your post history says you are.

Or positive, depending on how you look at it. Even though now that Microsoft reversed their DRM strategy, there is a clear message here... some things gamers are willing to fight for. And that means that in the future, even if only for a second, they will stop to consider what happened her this time before they do it again. So basically, if gamers proceed to ignore the system and the Xbox One has a rough start, the lesson Microsoft will have been taught will resonate a bit more.

Sony had to learn a similar lesson when they tried to tell us to get a second job for their painfully bloated, overdesigned and overpriced PS3 with the shittier versions of all multiplatform games and a mediocre controller. They learned that gamers do have a limit, and loyalty only goes so far.

I am not sure Sony would have learned that lesson if PS3 didn't have the rough start it did; I'm unsure Microsoft will learn the lesson unless XBO suffers a similar rough start.
The key part you're missing is that even if XBO suffers the same "fate" as the PS3, MS can't hope to recover, because they have no markets to fall back on and say "Wow...we fucked up, lets make the XboxTwo a beast, by gamers, for gamers!"

If they lose NA by the margins they won over the PS3 this past gen, then I HIGHLY doubt they'll make another Xbox.

Man

While people are killing themselves on launch lines, I'm going to be cozy at home, waiting for Amazon/UPS to drop off my shiny new console.
Please. Like the tension of the mailing service not delivering your new uber toy on time isn't comparable to queue pains..

Top Bottom