• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop closing dem PS4 preorder floodgates?

Sold out dat "infinite supply"?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-system/109942?ref=recpdp&cross=B020384M

The bundles are still in stock, but damn, Sony must be in the clouds, thing is on fire huh?

Edit: Seems even the bundles are sold out now.

jimvjmGnwPgv.png

macewank

maybe..

but 2 more likely scenarios:

Gamestop got updated hardware projections and they're capped. OR

Gamestop realized they can make a boatload more money by forcing bundles, so they've chosen to do that instead.

I'm going with the latter.

Amir0x

Banned
I am pretty sure they stopped selling anything but bundles ages ago. I could swear I had a conversation like two weeks ago about that

Guess not!

Lucent

I pre-ordered on Amazon as soon as the price was announced during the conference. Wasn't gonna take chances. And Gamestop has been known to take more pre-orders than they can fulfill at launch, so I wasn't gonna deal with them.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow. Sony executives must be sitting pretty right about now. Even amazon launch edition outside of bundles are gone.

Bodes well for my scalping prospects.

jk

That's not a bad idea, though i would be too giddy of having a ps4 and opening it than selling it for more than 399.

Pre-ordered right after the conference, but I have a feeling it's not gonna happen. Some meth head is probably going to jack the UPS driver... I can feel it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The gamestop I went to said they had 54 PS4 preorders and 11 Xbox One preorders lol

This was the day of the DRM reversal too.

Anth0ny

there isn't a chance in hell they will be able to fill in all of these pre-orders for day one

my two local eb games had 29 and 42 PS4 pre orders respectively by the Friday of E3 week.

legacyzero

Banned
Or do you think they could be pulling a Wii and lowering the stock to create buzz?

"Got any Wii's in?"

"Nope.

"AWWWWwww.... Guess I'll call Wal-Mart :( "

They will get further allotments, i'm sure. If they sell out now it may stall the momentum. Having new allotments open after gamescom, for instance, is a smart move. Have it shoot up the charts again everywhere, get more press about your numbers, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
there isn't a chance in hell they will be able to fill in all of these pre-orders for day one

my two local eb games had 29 and 42 PS4 pre orders respectively by the Friday of E3 week.

Sony literally told them to go wild with PS4 pre-orders; apparently, they're extremely confident about the number of consoles they're going to have this Christmas.

Xbox One, by comparison, is already noted to have significantly diminished supply compared to PS4's allotment, and yet its day one launch edition is STILL available for order.

They will get further allotments, i'm sure. If they sell out now it may stall the momentum. Having new allotments open after gamescom, for instance, is a smart move. Have it shoot up the charts again everywhere, get more press about your numbers, etc.

I'm sure, but it's not like the bundles are a different SKU. If GameStop wanted to sell the standalone system they could.

Estocolmo

Who was it? Who was it that said consoles were doomed and mobile gaming was going to take over? Was it Rovio? Whoever said that, I hope you are eating up those words!

redhood56

Banned
Why are there reviews for the ps4 on the gamestop page? lol. I pre ordered my ps4 at gamestop and asked if I was getting one at launch and he said "everyone who pre orders gets one at launch".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why are there reviews for the ps4 on the gamestop page? lol. I pre ordered my ps4 at gamestop and asked if I was getting one at launch and he said "everyone who pre orders gets one at launch".

Yeah same with XB1. The guy told me that they would ship the amount that was preordered to each store.

I'm sure, but it's not like the bundles are a different SKU. If GameStop wanted to sell the standalone system they could.

Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if this was worked out with Sony... if you can sell the system with other shit attached, go for it... otherwise preorders are shut down for now.

I'm talking out of my ass here, I don't know any of this to be fact. Just to be clear.

Pre-ordered right after the conference, but I have a feeling it's not gonna happen. Some meth head is probably going to jack the UPS driver... I can feel it.

This is why I made sure to preorder at the massive EB flagship store. I'm not doing some podunk mall store where the manager shuffles all 6 units they get off to his family members for scalping and tells everyone "our shipment wasn't big enough, sorry, check back next week."

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Going to be a bloodbath when each store only gets like 5 systems at launch and are slow to come. =(

(Please God, not this.)

It's about time man.

Going to be a bloodbath when each store only gets like 5 systems at launch and are slow to come. =(

(Please God, not this.)

Every gamestop employee I ask about this just keeps saying "not gonna happen". Like they aren't contemplating it happening which is dumb.

Even if there are not enough consoles to meet launch demand, I know the guy who works at my local gamestop, and he said if they get at least 5 I'm safe. They were obviously promised a lot more than 5, more like 50

Man from all acounts, the PS4 launch allocation seems to be 2 to 3 tines the size of the XBone's. I can't wait to see the sales numbers. Its ether going to be epic or tragic.

MercuryLS

Banned
Even though I have it paid off in store at eb games, I'm not cancelling my future shop order. I know they'll come through, so if eb fucks me ill still get it day 1.

redhood56

Banned
Oh man can you imagine the launch day lines!
I only have one experience with launch day at gamestop. The 3DS. My gamestop handled the midnight launch very well, they made everyone pay off whatever they had left on the pre order before midnight and handed them out at midnight. Hopefully they do this again, I really want mine at launch day!

Yawnier

Banned
Man from all acounts, the PS4 launch allocation seems to be 2 to 3 tines the size of the XBone's. I can't wait to see the sales numbers. Its ether going to be epic or tragic.

November NPD results/sales that we will get in December are going to be absolutely glorious (just to see what actually happens). Can't wait for it.

(Please God, not this.)

I don't think a Wii scenario works for Sony this Christmas. At $100 more, I think Xbox One will still be a tough competitor so Sony will want to have lots of units out there.

A fabricated shortage scenario doesn't seem like a smart move for Sony at all. I think they kept the floodgates open for a while because they will have the units to ship. I think they will have more orders open up when the release date is announced as well.

The Wii shortage was a very unique and perfect storm created from casual demand for a new style of interface that soccer mom's could get behind.

I think Sony has great buzz going into the holiday season but not the sort of buzz to want to have a shortage around when Microsoft could gobble up those sales.

On the flipside, MS is going to be in a world of hurt if they don't have a good amount of consoles on shelves this holiday.

Kusagari

The manager at my local Gamestop, which is a big one, said they're getting 30-40 Xboxs and more than 100 PS4's at launch.

I don't think a Wii scenario works for Sony this Christmas. At $100 more, I think Xbox One will still be a tough competitor so Sony will want to have lots of units out there.

A fabricated shortage scenario doesn't seem like a smart move for Sony at all. I think they kept the floodgates open for a while because they will have the units to shit. I think they will have more orders open up when the release date is announced as well.

The Wii shortage was a very unique and perfect storm created from casual demand for a new style of interface that soccer mom's could get behind.

I think Sony has great buzz going into the holiday season but not the sort of buzz to want to have a shortage around when Microsoft could gobble up those sales.

On the flipside, MS is going to be in a world of hurt if they don't have a good amount of consoles on shelves this holiday.

I agree. Faking a shortage now would be a decent business decision.... But come a bit before release through the entire winter they want to produce as many units as possible because they're likely to sell them all. Strike while the iron is hot.

Top Bottom