• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop now selling an entirely new SKU of Metroid Prime Trilogy as "preowned"?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
For proof, look at what what we saw with Xenoblade. New cases, different from the original run. Manuals in pristine condition. And unused Club Nintendo codes. There's a precedent here, and GameStop has spoken of only two specific games with regards to the "sourcing" additional stock: Xenoblade and MPT. We're seeing similar patterns for MPT. New cases, no steelbooks, new covers...and there's a 90% chance we'll see all fresh inserts, and likely see fresh Club Nintendo codes. You want proof? There isn't definitive proof yet, but we see there's a pattern.

I have been researching this and people are right when they say they've been doing this a long time. Here's a thread when they started to order reprints of Gitaroo Man 8 years ago: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/gitaroo-man-is-back-on-sale-at-gamestop.103026680/

evanmisha

I love how with the bilingual ESRB ratings, these are ready to sell in Canada... but no 'new' Xenoblades or MPTs here whatsoever. Or Pokemon Rumble NFC toys.

(Also, I'm in the market for an MPT Club Nintendo code, PM if interested)

kswiston

Some people in this thread seem to have pretty cool mom and pop stores, since the ones around me mark up the Ebay prices by like 50%.

FyreWulff

Is GameStop a store or a pawn shop? Is it a standard retailer like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc, or is it its own distribution and printing service? There's a conflict of interest when a retailer is also a pawn shop with exclusive rights to sell limited-run games where they are the only ones setting the price in any official capacity.

You still haven't explained why a store selling things is a conflict of interest. Wal Mart has manufacturing and distribution business as well. A store's business is to sell items. Was Nintendo selling Xenoblade on their website a conflict of interest? You're basically tell me I can't even sell my own games because I sell what I'm making myself..

Walmart doesn't sell used games, but it also don't price based on what eBay looks like.

Probably because you if you can buy it at Wal Mart, the only reason you'd be buying it off eBay is if it was cheaper. They still increase prices where the market will bear them however. Example: their brand of chicken thighs is sold for 5$/10LB bag here, at all 8 Wal Marts around us. They just finished building a Neighborhood Market Walmart, which is a groceries-only Wal Mart. The same bag of chicken thighs is 8$ at that location, specifically at that store, because they feel people will pay for the convienence instead of having to drive another 2 miles to one of the other big Wal Marts.

Sorry, didn't realize that eBay is actually the one selling everything on there

They collect fees from every transaction and arbitrate sales. They are essentially a broker. They also heavy-hand you into using Paypal to pay, so they can skim you again for Paypal fees.

GameStop, however, is the buyer, the seller, the market, and in their used games business, they straight-up control payment (see: the push for store credit rather than straight payout).

That we only see GameStop doing this should tip you off that GameStop is not, and should not be considered, a standard retailer.

They paid for the copies of the game, whether acquire off people that answered their robocalls and got 40-50$ for MPT being traded in, or if they somehow bought a crate of the boxes from Nintendo's warehouse.

Also, even the local mom and pop will give you more in store credit than outright cash. The incentive is you keep your money there.

You want proof? There isn't definitive proof yet, but we see there's a pattern.

Patterns aren't proof. At most, I'd go with Gamestop supplementing this push with found inventory.

Hey there, chuckles, if GameStop is the only retailer carrying certain games, and can do whatever they want, even to the extent of getting new stock and labeling it used, just to boost their margins, what else would that be, other than making a complete farce of supply and demand?

You keep using the word 'supply and demand', I'm not sure you know what it means.

Gamestop saw demand for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade. They acquired a supply. The price is lower than your fellow gamers are charging for the game. Unless you are seriously suggesting Gamestop had access to a mountain of sealed mint MPTs and Xenoblades and literally devalued them by up to 50$ by taking the shrinkwrap off. The market is bearing the price, so I don't see the issue here.

Now what would happen if Nintendo released these games digitally? The supply would become infinite and the demand for physical copies would plummet. That's how supply and demand works. That's what people that want it cheaper should demand. Tales of Vesperia was more expensive than MPT or Xenoblade for the same reason (limited run), and the prices plummeted once Namco finally made the game available on the 360's Games on Demand service.

You still haven't explained why a store selling things is a conflict of interest. Wal Mart has manufacturing and distribution business as well. A store's business is to sell items. Was Nintendo selling Xenoblade on their website a conflict of interest? You're basically tell me I can't even sell my own games because I sell what I'm making myself..

This *isn't* about any old store selling things, though (so don't be so daft). This has nothing to do with you selling your own games. It has nothing to do with Nintendo selling Xenoblade on their own digital storefront. This is about GameStop straddling the line between selling new and used games. About them pushing used where they can make a huge margin on games that they were the only ones selling to begin with. About the primary vendor also being the secondary vendor, also being the tertiary vendor.

Probably because you if you can buy it at Wal Mart, the only reason you'd be buying it off eBay is if it was cheaper. They still increase prices where the market will bear them however. Example: their brand of chicken thighs is sold for 5$/10LB bag here, at all 8 Wal Marts around us. They just finished building a Neighborhood Market Walmart, which is a groceries-only Wal Mart. The same bag of chicken thighs is 8$ at that location, specifically at that store, because they feel people will pay for the convienence instead of having to drive another 2 miles to one of the other big Wal Marts.

Again, we've established that Walmart doesn't sell used games. If they sell used poultry, that's pretty fucked up.

They collect fees from every transaction and arbitrate sales. They are essentially a broker. They also heavy-hand you into using Paypal to pay, so they can skim you again for Paypal fees.

eBay are not the sellers. They are not determining the price. GameStop is the seller, and does determine the price. Again, how is eBay just like GameStop? That is your point, isn't it? That everything we've said about GS can be applied to every other store? So far, that hasn't really panned out.

They paid for the copies of the game, whether acquire off people that answered their robocalls and got 40-50$ for MPT being traded in, or if they somehow bought a crate of the boxes from Nintendo's warehouse.

Also, even the local mom and pop will give you more in store credit than outright cash. The incentive is you keep your money there.

Again, are any other *retailers* doing what GS is doing? The answer is still no...

Patterns aren't proof. At most, I'd go with Gamestop supplementing this push with found inventory.
Not saying the pattern is proof. But even you should be smart enough to recognize what GS has done in the past, and how likely it is they're doing it again with MPT, especially when they have PR talking about Xenoblade and MPT in the exact same context. If you want to play devil's advocate, okay, but I'd be awfully surprised if MPT doesn't turn out just like Xenoblade did.

You keep using the word 'supply and demand', I'm not sure you know what it means.

Gamestop saw demand for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade. They acquired a supply. The price is lower than your fellow gamers are charging for the game. Unless you are seriously suggesting Gamestop had access to a mountain of sealed mint MPTs and Xenoblades and literally devalued them by up to 50$ by taking the shrinkwrap off. The market is bearing the price, so I don't see the issue here.

Saw a demand? I don't think so. *Created* a demand? Far more likely. Suggesting a literal mountain of mint, sealed copies? No. I'm cynical, but not that cynical. What I *am* willing to entertain, however, is that there was a concerted, long-term effort by GS to collect a large number of those titles, engage or encourage a narrative about how rare and valuable they are (the vintage shtick), and when they had enough, release them to their stores to be sold at $90 a pop. And in order to maintain the appearance of a very limited supply, did in fact gut new copies from a reprint so that the consumer base, at large, would not suspect that these titles could simply be re-issued at any time. It's a manufactured supply and demand. It isn't a real market. It's a complete farce of supply and demand.

The poison was in both cups? Brilliant.

Now what would happen if Nintendo released these games digitally? The supply would become infinite and the demand for physical copies would plummet. That's how supply and demand works. That's what people that want it cheaper should demand. Tales of Vesperia was more expensive than MPT or Xenoblade for the same reason (limited run), and the prices plummeted once Namco finally made the game available on the 360's Games on Demand service.

I'd love to see a digital release. They should do one. More people need to play Xenoblade and MPT. They're amazing games, and playing through MP1 with Wiimote pointing is a revelation.

Rare games like these, SotN, FFVII (black label, right?), MvC, etc, all benefit from digital releases. Sure, it kinda sucks for the collector, but I tend to see collecting as less about monetary value and more about personal value, anyway.

Though I *am* looking to part with my copy of Steel Battalion, green button controller...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This *isn't* about any old store selling things, though (so don't be so daft). This has nothing to do with you selling your own games. It has nothing to do with Nintendo selling Xenoblade on their own digital storefront. This is about GameStop straddling the line between selling new and used games. About them pushing used where they can make a huge margin on games that they were the only ones selling to begin with. About the primary vendor also being the secondary vendor, also being the tertiary vendor.

One thing that everyone who makes this point always overlooks, why exactly would Gamestop sell a new copy of a game as used for $85 or $90 when they could just sell the new copy for $130 or more?

Again, there is nothing in place that makes the $50 price tag for a new game mandatory. They can list a game for $200 million if they want. Nobody would buy it, but there is nothing at all stopping them from doing it.

And there's still the fact Metroid Prime Trilogy has never been a Gamestop exclusive game. If it were reprinted why is Gamestop the only company to get it? Do you really think Nintendo is somehow in on this and doing reprints for Gamestop alone so they can make mad profits on their games?

Eusis

If GameStop is willing to foot the bill and no one else wants copies then yeah, they'd be the only ones to get copies. Walmart and Bestbuy, along with similar stores, probably don't give a damn and their Amazon relationship is rocky, while they may consider Game Quest Direct beneath them.

One thing that everyone who makes this point always overlooks, why exactly would Gamestop sell a new copy of a game as used for $85 or $90 when they could just sell the new copy for $130 or more?

Again, there is nothing in place that makes the $50 price tag for a new game mandatory. They can list a game for $200 million if they want. Nobody would buy it, but there is nothing at all stopping them from doing it.

And there's still the fact Metroid Prime Trilogy has never been a Gamestop exclusive game. If it were reprinted why is Gamestop the only company to get it? Do you really think Nintendo is somehow in on this and doing reprints for Gamestop alone so they can make mad profits on their games?

Honestly? The answer is twofold:

One, GameStop makes its money from used games, even more so if it's rare (or considered rare). If they put a game out as new, even selling it for $130, the mere existence of an actual new copy might undercut the "this is super rare" marketing. Would that be the reality? Who knows. I think it's a batshit crazy way to do business, and woefully anti-consumer, but clearly, some "genius" think-tank in GS HQ believes it to be the case.

Two, as for MPT, no other retailer does the same kind of used game business that GS does, so it stands to reason no other store would care. GameStop is the only company where the corporate line apparently actually is "Exploit prices, buy new (low), sell used (high)."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Not only would selling for new more money for them, but it would also stop gamers from using abusing the birthday coupon and PUR discount for a 30% savings.

As for other retailers not doing this, it's because they're clueless about the hobby. Best Buy offers $6 for Metroid Trilogy. How many used copies do you think they have to sell, even if its for much less money?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If GameStop is willing to foot the bill and no one else wants copies then yeah, they'd be the only ones to get copies. Walmart and Bestbuy, along with similar stores, probably don't give a damn and their Amazon relationship is rocky, while they may consider Game Quest Direct beneath them.

If it does end up being that Nintendo is reprinting copies of the game exclusively for Gamestop to sell as used for hefty profits I have to wonder how that's not deemed price fixing. I'd imagine if someone was able to make that determination without reasonable doubt they would have a solid case against both companies.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I think im going to write Nintendo and tell them about this bullshit. I also feel like a petition to get Nintendo to reprint copies of both this and Xenoblade Chronicles is in order. If I start one would you guys sign? Also I haven't received my post-a-new-thread credentials so someone would probably have to post one for me to get awareness out there.

I think im going to write Nintendo and tell them about this bullshit. I also feel like a petition to get Nintendo to reprint copies of both this and Xenoblade Chronicles is in order. If I start one would you guys sign? Also I haven't received my post-a-new-thread credentials so someone would probably have to post one for me to get awareness out there.

Well, if these are indeed and entirely new run of Metroid Prime Trilogy (it seems that it very well is) then i'm sure Nintendo already knows all about it about...

Omega

Banned

Nintendo would probably have your petition removed from the internet.

Well, if these are indeed and entirely new run of Metroid Prime Trilogy (it seems that it very well is) then i'm sure Nintendo already knows all about it about...

These are brand new copies. The instruction manual, case, and the game itself are all in mint condition. People don't take care of their games like that.

Hell, most games traded in aren't even traded in with manuals.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
If it does end up being that Nintendo is reprinting copies of the game exclusively for Gamestop to sell as used for hefty profits I have to wonder how that's not deemed price fixing. I'd imagine if someone was able to make that determination without reasonable doubt they would have a solid case against both companies.

It would be dumb of Nintendo to do that because they aren't seeing a penny of that profit IF they are fueling Gamestop's preowned games cause its general knowledge that devs and publishers don't get anything from used sales at all. GameStop pushes REALLY hard to sell used so I can see why the game industry doesn't like them very much

"D"

I was thinking of starting the petition to have Nintendo themselves reprint the games new at a normal price so they can get their profit, we can buy the games, and everyone will be happy. Seems like a no-brainer to me...its not like they making a brand new game or anything, just reprinting some old stock, one of which isn't all that old...as Xenoblade Chronicles came out what...last year?

scitek

You'd think Nintendo might want to push the fact that they're the only backward compatible console on the market. I know I'd have had an ad around launch time showing people enjoying their Wii games on the Wii U, making sure to point out that the latter's a brand new console, but that's just me.

NateDrake

I agree with this on Xenoblade, but Trilogy was available for the taking, many times for $20 and under. Those that didn't buy one then only have themselves to blame.

Plus MP Trilogy was released for a limited-time. It wasn't a secret copies would be printed in limited quantity.

FlyFaster

$85 is a steal compared to what people are asking online. I've always wanted to play the first 2 games with motion control, I will have to look into this.

Also, not seeing anything "shady" going on here.

TomServo

So, hypothetically, GameStop sells them at the "fair" price of $45... and in less than an hour CAG and FatWallet have purchased every copy and relisted on eBay for $85 or more.

LocalE

So is there any actual proof that this is "an entirely new SKU"?
I don't see why Nintendo would print a small run of these two games just so Gamestop could sell them as used games.

I have a steelbook I might be interesting in selling if any fellow GAFfer needs one (with all the limited edition content too) (PM me :)

Persona7

Banned

Maybe gamestop made a exclusive deal with nintendo and covered the costs of operation to actually manufacture new copies of the game. It has been done before.

Caladrius

I just noticed these when I was looking through the store. How irritating. part of the coolness factor of it was the tin case.

P.S. Do copies with the feelies fetch a lot more than others? I somehow have all of them still in there. (Case has a dent in it though.:/ )

Were people this upset with the rerelease of the Fatal Frame trilogy or the Resident Evil GameCube games? I admit it's kinda low, but it has been done before...

Regiruler

Wasn't there some additional content along with the games besides the slick case in the original printing?

Is that in here as well?

fates

Maybe gamestop made a exclusive deal with nintendo and covered the costs of operation to actually manufacture new copies of the game. It has been done before.

I think that's what is going on, to be honest. Waaaaay too many copies showing up out of the blue and in good condition for these to be a trove of used games.

This is the anti-digital future people craved for when MS announced the X1. This is what happens when producers and consumers agree to pretend that the internet doesn't exist.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So, hypothetically, GameStop sells them at the "fair" price of $45... and in less than an hour CAG and FatWallet have purchased every copy and relisted on eBay for $85 or more.

Exactly! CAG had a meltdown over Xenoblade being $90. They cried foul! The people who hit 20 Best Buys to hoard games to trade elsewhere to build their credit, cried foul lol! The truth is they wanted a cheap price point so they could buy them all up and resell on ebay!

fates

This is the anti-digital future people craved for when MS announced the X1. This is what happens when producers and consumers agree to pretend that the internet doesn't exist.

No, not really. This is what happens when Gamestop decides it wants a piece of that eBay video game markup cash.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Except digital games DO exist. Sounds like you're one of those brainwashed ones who thought Microsoft was just trying to advance the industry to a better place.

KHarvey16

It's a little strange people will expect to be paid more to sell their rare and valuable games to gamestop but not to pay more when purchasing them.

Bkey

Banned
My gamestop had metroid and xenoblade. I was being an ass to the manager as he was ringing me up for some other stuff telling him to sell me xenoblade for the price of new. He said all stores got 1 copy and said they had to be reprints. I'm sure he doesn't know anything but after checking them out both looked brand new...Cases was in better shape then their new game cases.

Madness

Maybe I didn't read the OP properly, but I'm confused, what's the problem here? That Gamestop supposedly got a new shipment of games and is selling them for less as pre-owned?

KHarvey16

... that they're selling "used" copies of a game for well above MSRP arbitrarily? Chain retailers like this aren't the aftermarket, it's absurd they are trying to do so.

Wait, what? Do you know what the S in MSRP means? Have you ever purchased a car that was in demand and low stocked?

Gamestop has a long history of selling reprints of games as used. Why is anyone surprised that they're doing it again? I remember buying a "used" reprint copy of Persona 2: EP back in '06, for example. They've been doing this for a long time. Sure, they should be selling them as new, but MSRPs are not law (stores can charge whatever they want, legally), and it's good overall because it gets more copies of some quite rare games out there. Xenoblade and MPT are fantastic and it's great that there are more copies of them out there now.

... that they're selling "used" copies of a game for well above MSRP arbitrarily? Chain retailers like this aren't the aftermarket, it's absurd they are trying to do so.

GameStop does a majority of its business in the aftermarket... Oh, and that S stands for "suggested" as in, publishers can't force set market pricing as that would be kinda illegal.

Mit-

So what do people actually want here? For these to be marked as new at $85?

What about copies that are obviously used? There were plenty of very used Xenoblade copies out there. Likely to be the same case here.

The steel books that got traded in at Gamestop looked like ass 90% of the time. They probably decided they couldn't flip those at $85, especially to collectors. Hence the refurbishing they stated they would be doing.

Far more likely that they did the trade-in campaign, gathered all the copies, printed new cases and refurbished all of them, and put them on sale for $85. Same thing likely happened with Xenoblade.

Chris R

I could understand Xenoblade since not much was different between the original and the "new" rerelease, but to pay $85 and not get the steelbook? Man...

Just glad I have both sitting here with me now (though kinda pissed I guess since the resale value is now garbage).

Madness

Ah so they get new copies but technically call them 'used' so that they don't really have to sell at MSRP prices?

I didn't know that Metroid Prime trilogy for Wii was such a sought after game. So people are upset that Gamestop is basically acting like one of those eBay flippers?

KHarvey16

Ah so they get new copies but technically call them 'used' so that they don't really have to sell at MSRP prices?

No. Retailers never have to sell anything at a price suggested by the manufacturer. They could sell them as new or used and charge anything they desire.

Top Bottom