• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

I called up the second biggest retailer of videogames in Australia and this is what went down when I was inquiring about pre-orders.

Me: "So how much have you sold of the Xbox One compared to the PS4 at your store?"

Him: "Lemme check"

5 minutes later he comes back with much more juicy info

Him: "We have sold 600 (and something) Xbox Ones and 1600 (and something) PS4s"

Me: "What you mean nationwide?"

Him: "Yes"

Me: "1600 PS4s?"

Him: "Yeah its selling much quicker than the Xbox"

Of course this is Australia, half of California but its not like PS3s were vastly outselling Xbox 360s here. So its a indication of sorts and is adding to the idea that MS has an up hill battle at this point.

Shahed

I called up the second biggest retailer of videogames in Australia and this is what went down when I was inquiring about pre-orders.

Me: "So how much have you sold of the Xbox One compared to the PS4 at your store?"

Of course this is Australia, half of California but its not like PS3s were vastly outselling Xbox 360s here. So its a indication of sorts.

Not to sound disbelieving, I mean the numbers coukd well be accurate. But why would they just give you that information?

stryke

Of course this is Australia, half of California but its not like PS3s were vastly outselling Xbox 360s here. So its a indication of sorts and is adding to the idea that MS has an up hill battle at this point.

Unless you're the same person, I've seen these exact same figures on Whirlpool forums earlier today.

Unless you're the same person, I've seen these exact same figures on Whirlpool forums earlier today.

That is me yep. And to answer Shahed's question. I have no idea. All I can say was, I was reading a similar NeoGaf thread earlier about pre-order numbers. My first agenda when calling up was about depositing and I also asked him ... okay this is gonna sound stupid, I honestly was feigning interest in the Xbox One, just to get anecdotal for his store only. I said something like, "what should I get first if I can't deposit a PS4 a Xbox One straight away".

5 minutes later, the guy came back and honestly I had no idea the guy would give me all that info.

I don't expect people to believe me, but the numbers add up (this can be verified as by Stryke as I posted in the Whirlpool forum before the British leak). If you look at the British retail leak, the numbers are about double if I can read it correctly. That's about double the population of Australia. Plus I have absolutely no context for how many should be preordered, when I heard that number, I honestly thought to myself .... "Really? Seems low". But in the context of the British leak it makes sense. Look, I mentioned in the Whirlpool forum that I didn't want to compromise the dude who gave me this info (its his job I have no idea who he is), he probably offhandedly gave it and probably was just as curious. So I didn't mention the store that I called.

5amshift

Banned
Seems like 1600 is not a lot right now..
Also the guy won't get in trouble at your store, honestly. They are allowed to give numbers if they want.

Mrbob

This interview with Tretton could be related to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2o2yjGZWs

Not the fluff how awesome is the PS4 interview in general, but the fact Tretton said Sony plans on selling more Playstation 4s the first holiday season than any of the Playstation generations. Happens around the 1:20 mark.

I think this is just another hint Sony has some decent production happening with PS4.

inner-G

Banned
Anecdotal story from my local store:

I preordered my system and asked about reserve numbers/likelihood of getting one day 1. I was the 60th-something PS4 preorder, and he said that their store had a lot and were getting a ton of systems (110+) so I would be ok to get it right at launch. He said that they were only guaranteed ~30 Xbones and once their allotment was out, they had a wait list.

This interview with Tretton could be related to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2o2yjGZWs

Not the fluff how awesome is the PS4 interview in general, but the fact Tretton said Sony plans on selling more Playstation 4s this holiday season than any of the Playstation generations. Happens around the 1:20 mark.

I think this is just another hint Sony has some decent production happening with PS4.

The PS2, which was obviously severely supply constrained, sold 1.1m in the US during its first holiday. It launched in October 2000 in the US. I'm guessing that they're talking purely about launch months since there's no way that they can hit the type of numbers that the PS2 was doing once it hit its stride in the holidays. They wouldn't have the units available to pull it off as there was one month (December 2002) when the PS2 sold 2.7m in the US alone.

Mrbob

Oh yeah, I agree. Jack is referencing initial holiday season for every playstation generation. Still, if Sony could get a million and a half to two million in USA alone this holiday season that would be a huge boost. It would be a fairly massive launch allocation. From everything we are reading, the allocation of systems for PS4 is much higher than we've seen for any other launch before.

Mikey Jr.

Too bad Kaz doesn't do the conferences anymore. He should've been the one to drop the bombs.

I would love it too, but I'm glad he isn't.

Playstation needs a fresh start. They need a new image, and distance themselves from PS3 early days as much as humanly possible. So they get new guys up there like Cerny, Adam, House, so that people don't see the PS4 as another PS3.

Spy

My local Gamestop told me they had 24 Xbox One and 75 PS4 preorders. The Xbox One preorders were sold out.

synce

Went to my local GS for the first time in ages, sold out of Xbones. I'm thinking that's why I didn't see a single ad for it there, but there were a ton for PS4

RMI

Banned
This does not mean anything. It has been this way since the dawn of GS. Also for those of you who believe PS4 will outsell Xbox One, you are sadly mistaken. Xbox One will blow up like a wildfire. MS is not worried about 20 million gamers when 100 million people want a cooler cable box. Long live the mighty Xbox Live!

Not sure if this is a serious post or not.

The internet has ruined me.

Top Bottom