• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop stores hit Xbox One launch cap; in-store pre-orders ceased

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GameStop has officially comment on the rumors that it stopped taking pre-orders.

Polygon said:
GameStop stores hit Xbox One launch cap; pre-orders ceased
By Colin Campbell on Jun 19, 2013 at 12:06p @ColinCampbellx

GameStop has ceased taking pre-orders for Xbox One. Employees from a number of retail locations around the country tell Polygon that the company reached its launch-day allocation last weekend. The company says it is still taking orders via its online site.

Retail managers say senior managers sent out a nationwide email to store managers a few days ago telling them to cease taking pre-orders. Many had already stopped taking launch-date orders, because they had run out of individual store-level allocations.

Polygon called stores around the country, all of which declined to take Xbox One pre-orders. They are still taking PlayStation 4 orders. Store managers say allocations for Sony's machine are considerably higher than Microsoft's.

One store manager in California said, "We were only given an allocation of 16 Xbox Ones but we have 60 PlayStation 4s and we're still taking orders." Another in Texas said, "There's no point trying any GameStops. We've stopped that SKU until we get notice."

Allocations are determined by Microsoft. A store manager in Ohio said, "All stores have been told to stop until we get some more units from Microsoft."

A spokesperson for GameStop told Polygon, "Due to high demand, GameStop is not taking additional store reservations for the Xbox One Day One Edition. However, reservations can still be made at www.gamestop.com ... In the meantime, the Xbox One wireless controller and top Xbox One games like: Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, and Kinect Sports Rivals are available for pre-order at all GameStop stores or online."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4445098/gamestop-hits-xbox-one-launch-cap-ceases-pre-orders

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the stores by me filled up on the first day... definitely no surprise here. Now... I wonder what the total console allotment will be on day 1.

I remember when the N64 had a 250,000 or 300,000 allotment for North America...

FrankT

Will be cashing in if these caps are really hitting for all retailers soon. I see people getting hit hard on bundles this fall.

Like 05 never even happened.

I wonder why they haven't just switched over to a "standard edition" SKU yet?

My guess is that they don't have any. The whole first production run will be the limited edition, that seems to be sold out at GameStop, or at least the allocation they got has sold out. Amazon still have plenty.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm surprised.

The EB Games (Canadian chain owned by Gamestop) near me said that they have been taking PS4 preorders 8 : 1 compared to Xbone's.

Best Buy had massive stacks of preorders left too (PS4 pre orders sold out). Is the American experience different from up here in the Great White North?

"Due to high demand, GameStop is not taking additional store reservations for the Xbox One Day One Edition"

Sounds more like "due to low supplies"

Gorillaz

Doesn't gamestop get the most shipments compared to other stores? Because if gamestop is ceasing pre orders I can't imagine the inventory at places like best buy, walmart, target, etc

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Due to high demand, GameStop is not taking additional store reservations for the Xbox One Day One Edition"

Sounds more like "due to low supplies"

Naw, it's just purely worded to avoid offending the supplier.

I think the interesting question is if Sony can handle the numbers they are allowing. I'm hearing 50-60 PS4 orders per store, I hope they can meet that demand...

Sony is a hardware company, and this is their 4th console.
Shit beyond their control can still happen.

FrankT

Well yea I mean if its just the day one edition that would be a separate thing entirely. A standard edition is still available?

I'm surprised.

The EB Games (Canadian chain owned by Gamestop) near me said that they have been taking PS4 preorders 8 : 1 compared to Xbone's.

Best Buy had massive stacks of preorders left too (PS4 pre orders sold out). Is the American experience different from up here in the Great White North?

Electronics Boutique! Man, I haven't seen one of those in ages. I don't think it's any different, is just the available supply is much lower than PS4. I think most of us were already expecting this based on past info. This will actually hurt MS pretty badly, unless they have a huge supply stashed somewhere they will make available right around the holidays.

Pretty impressive. I wonder how bad the scalping situation will be for next gen systems. It was awful for the Wii U, glad they got burned.

Thread title is misleading surely, it's only the Day One edition they have run out of?

Still that's no small deal for those who want to pre-order it, but I'd imagine they'll be directed to the Gamestop website in that case.

Karak

This combined with Xbone being #1 on amazon video games because of the PS4 bundles = SPIN CITY

To be fair it was bouncing around there before the bundles were even on the list.

I wonder how much allocation MS is giving Amazon. Much more I bet.

I'm surprised.

Apparently Xbone allotment to EB's is a lot less than PS4. That's why they hit their preorder mark.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think the interesting question is if Sony can handle the numbers they are allowing. I'm hearing 50-60 PS4 orders per store, I hope they can meet that demand...

I will shit a brick if it happens. Those poor workers should prep themselves for the worst come launch night.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thread title is misleading surely, it's only the Day One edition they have run out of?

Still that's no small deal for those who want to pre-order it, but I'd imagine they'll be directed to the Gamestop website in that case.

I'm pretty sure the day one edition is the only edition available at launch. Thus day 1. It's all they are taking pre-orders for, it's not really a special edition.

Think games that give you the collector's edition if you buy a first run copy of the game.

Shosai

Banned
It's pretty bad if they can't make enough to sell. They will lose out on a lot of customers because of these shortages.

Console launch shortages are the rule, not the exception. Both consoles will sell out this holiday and the question of which will sell more comes down to who can manufacture more.

netBuff

There are benefits to a Xbone Day One Edition (a year of Live Gold) while all the PS4's are the same. That's why they can't switch that easily.

The "Day One" edition of the Xbone doesn't come with a year of free live, that is available in the form of an optional "Day One Xbox Live Gold membership" card http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one you have to pay extra for.

All you get is the "commemorative controller" (has "Day One" printed on it) as well as the achievement.

I can only imagine how many people who genuinely want a XbOne won't be able to get them will just grab a PS4 because it's more likely to be available.

I truthfully believe MS will have a strong launch and slowly lose momentum but if they can't even have a successful launch then that really doesn't bode well at all.

Talamius

Selling as much as you make can't be bad news right?

Depends on how many you actually made.

It will be interesting to see if this is a Wii situation and demand holds out for months on end, or prospective XB1 buyers "settle" for PS4. I would lean towards the latter since the 3rd party lineups are virtually identical.

Top Bottom