• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Summer Swap - "Unlimited" Used Games for $60 This Summer

Avallon

DCNxopuXYAEZd9L.jpg:large

Power Up Rewards exclusive

Fine Print said:
Summer Swap: Summer Swap program valid from 6/12/17 - 8/31/17. Must be a PowerUp Rewards Member to participate. Participants will receive a Summer Pass coupon within 72 hours of purchase. Summer Swap is not refundable. Must present coupon & receipt for each game swap. Valid on pre-owned games only and availability may vary by store. Games must be returned in the condition they were received and in full working condition. Defective, damaged or defaced games are not eligible for return, and will be charged to customer. Offer valid in select physical retail locations only. Not available on GameStop.com. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

This is in limited test markets only. Not every store is doing this.

Some test markets are $60 for unlimited one at a time rentals.

Some test markets are that plus you get to keep whatever game you have at the end of the program period.

Some areas don't have it at all.

Lundren

Banned
$60 for two and a half months? I don't like to rent games, but isn't Gamefly cheaper? I'm assuming that since you're buying the service you don't keep a game at the end. It would also be limited to whatever your store has pre-owned.

Avallon

This is in limited test markets only. Not every store is doing this.

Some test markets are $60 for unlimited one at a time rentals.

Some test markets are that plus you get to keep whatever game you have at the end of the program period.

Some areas don't have it at all.

You'd better be able to keep a game...

So they basically have a super expensive version of Gamefly with a shitty selection comprised of their unsold used games and the two copies of games that people actually want to play that will already be out.

Kill3r7

Sounds like a worse deal than Family Video unless you play, like, a game per day

Their selection of used games will be much better. The problem is that you can spend $60 on PSN/XBL right now and keep yourself busy for the rest of the summer.

Avallon

Fine Print added to OP:

Summer Swap: Summer Swap program valid from 6/12/17 - 8/31/17. Must be a PowerUp Rewards Member to participate. Participants will receive a Summer Pass coupon within 72 hours of purchase. Summer Swap is not refundable. Must present coupon & receipt for each game swap. Valid on pre-owned games only and availability may vary by store. Games must be returned in the condition they were received and in full working condition. Defective, damaged or defaced games are not eligible for return, and will be charged to customer. Offer valid in select physical retail locations only. Not available on GameStop.com. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

Aeana

Oh so it's like being a GameStop employee, except they don't try to sell it as new after you return it.

PKrockin

So they basically have a super expensive version of Gamefly with a shitty selection comprised of their unsold used games and the two copies of games that people actually want to play that will already be out.
So, Gamefly, but 4 times as expensive and you don't have to wait a week or more between games.

I hope this comes to Canada cuz I will use the shit out of this.

I already use my platinum card and return new games for full price but it only allows me to keep them for 7 days which is a bit tight for finishing campaigns or getting what I want out of it and I occasionally have to re-purchase the game on my wifes platinum card just to keep it for another week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I hope this comes to Canada cuz I will use the shit out of this.

I already use my platinum card and return new games for full price but it only allows me to keep them for 7 days which is a bit tight for finishing campaigns or getting what I want out of it and I occasionally have to re-purchase the game on my wifes platinum card just to keep it for another week.

I feel like this isn't how the system is supposed to work

Listonosh

How is this any different than buying a used game, playing it, and returning it before seven days, and then buying another used game, rinse and repeat. The only difference here is that you have a longer time limit.

Magwik

Banned
How is this any different than buying a used game, playing it, and returning it before seven days, and then buying another used game, rinse and repeat. The only difference here is that you have a longer time limit.
It's closing the loophole and making it official. So gaming the system probably won't work that way anymore.

Maxim726X

Less scummy?

I would have been all over this shit as a kid. That's about 6 dollars a week for unlimited trades... It's a pretty awesome deal*

* Assuming there aren't games that are ineligible.

skybald

They already allowed you to return a game for store credit within 7 days. My buddy would exchange one used game for another all the time.

Farsi

I'm glad Gamestop isn't just laying down and dying. They're trying to compete with GCU and prime, good for them. I like the idea alot if you don't have gamefly and don't want to deal with the shipping times.

Quonny

Less scummy?

I would have been all over this shit as a kid. That's about 6 dollars a week for unlimited trades... It's a pretty awesome deal*

* Assuming there aren't games that are ineligible.

It does say any pre-owned game.

The biggest issue is availability.

Yup, just gamefly​ minus shipping. Solid deal, definitely.

$60 for six weeks is literally twice the price of the Gamefly introductory offer which runs for twice as long.

So four times the effective price. Is shipping really that much a drain on the value proposition?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So the fine print part says offer available in select stores only.

That's a bit of a BS thing.

Top Bottom