• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Switch page mentions playing ''Pokemon at home with the Nintendo Switch''

Malakai

Actually the game can look amazing (maybe the left image is not really how should be, but it still apply)

From this old thread

For real, the 3DS is holding back the potential of this new generation.

I'm getting the feeling that Sun and Moon were build with the Switch in mind and Gamefreak just down ported it to the 3DS. Hence, the performance issues with it running on old hardware.

Net

I'm getting the feeling that Sun and Moon were build with the Switch in mind and Gamefreak just down ported it to the 3DS. Hence, the performance issues with it running on old hardware.

The original Stars rumor stated that it was in parallel development, so probably something like the Smash 4 process where they would develop HD assets and then dumb them down a bit to make them work on 3DS.

JoeM86

Just have to look at some design choices for Sun & Moon to see that it really feels like it was designed to be, or at least to be easily adapted to, single screen.

Why else would they pick Festival Plaza over a PSS style system?

Its a good game. Go play it.

And who knows, Stars might be a sequel like BW2 was.
Good point, it's been a while since Nintendo did a third version of a Pokemon game, even when it would have made sense to (like not getting Z after Pokemon XY when it seemed like it probably would).

I'll definitely hold off on selling my copy of Moon until more details are out about the Switch versions, but unless the battery life is abysmal, the Switch will definitely be my preferred way to play.

asagami_

Banned

And it feels some potential post-game content is butchered from the final game. But if (end game spoilers)
Pokémon Stars let us revisit Kanto and Johto after our Alola journey and be Lillie our next rival I will claim a million of times this generation is the absolust best.

yIboUsr.jpg

Net

And it feels some potential post-game content is butchered from the final game. But if (end game spoilers)
Pokémon Stars let us revisit Kanto and Johto[/strike[ after our Alola journey I will claim a million of times this generation is the absolust best.

I don't know much about how Pokemon games are developed, but it would seem to me that adding a fully realized Kanto in HD would take more than an extra year of work.

JoeM86

Pokémon Stars let us revisit Kanto and Johto after our Alola journey and be Lillie our next rival I will claim a million of times this generation is the absolust best.

Don't expect multi-region games. Unless they make you not use your Pokémon, there will be balance problems

Net

Maybe all the Kanto teasing in Sun and Moon is actually just foreshadowing for the next generation of games.

Red 2 and Blue 2.

And at the end of that campaign you get to return to Alola.

Still keeping skeptical for when turns out to be a case of "reading what I wanted to see, not what was actually written" and it was "Pokemon 'All' Stars" this whole time. Some half baked 3D area fighter with 26 unique pokemon and easy to learn two button commands.

or something.

please let it actually be a more fleshed out Sun/Moon expansion

Net

Still keeping skeptical for when turns out to be a case of "reading what I wanted to see, not what was actually written" and it was "Pokemon 'All' Stars" this whole time. Some half baked 3D area fighter with 26 unique pokemon and easy to learn two button commands.

or something.

please let it actually be a more fleshed out Sun/Moon expansion
What's that on the back of Necrozma?

hqdefault.jpg

Oh.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A proper home console Pokemon game would make the Switch impossible to not buy eventually.

I'm not what you would describe as a Pokemon fan and even I've wanted a home console Pokemon game since I was a teenager.

JoeM86

A proper home console Pokemon game would make the Switch impossible to not buy eventually.

I'm not what you would describe as a Pokemon fan and even I've wanted a home console Pokemon game since I was a teenager.

The whole reason Pokémon hasn't been on a home console is because it loses the portable aspect for no good reason. Thank god for Switch

Malakai

The original Stars rumor stated that it was in parallel development, so probably something like the Smash 4 process where they would develop HD assets and then dumb them down a bit to make them work on 3DS.

When Compared to X and Y to Sun and Moon, XY just seem so much more colorful and bright and the graphics are so much clearer whereas at least to me SuMo looks so zoomed out and blurry. I'm guessing that it could just be me.

Malakai

Alola was extremely small to me and very compacted. No major city at all. I hated the Pokemon distribution in SuMo.

BowieZ

Banned
Is there a better thread to discuss Stars?

Anyway, is it likely Nintendo could implement a GO-like augmented reality Pokemon (or other) game on Switch, considering its portability?

For example, an AR Animal Crossing where you walk around your neighbourhood farming fruit and stuff. Although indeed, Pokemon, FE and AC already being on mobile may mean something else will get that sort of treatment.

JoeM86

Is there a better thread to discuss Stars?

Anyway, is it likely Nintendo could implement a GO-like augmented reality Pokemon (or other) game on Switch, considering its portability?

For example, an AR Animal Crossing where you walk around your neighbourhood farming fruit and stuff. Although indeed, Pokemon, FE and AC already being on mobile may mean something else will get that sort of treatment.

No, not likely at all.

GO exists as is. It's fine

KHlover

Banned
What performance issues, you get a stable framerate in 1v1 Pokemon battles. That's more than we ever got out of X/Y.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a Pokemon game for it. The Switch is most likely gonna replace the 3DS not just the Wii U so there needs to be a Pokemon game.

ConceptX

I'm more interested in if Stars is just the .5 gen release with small updates, or if it's entirely reworked for a "home console".

Either way, it'd make Switch much more enticing to me, especially within the launch year.

Forkball

I would still be surprised if they announced Stars this early. I expected an April or E3 announcement. They still might only say "Pokémon is coming!" without any clarification this week.

E-phonk

Banned
I would still be surprised if they announced Stars this early. I expected an April or E3 announcement. They still might only say "Pokémon is coming!" without any clarification this week.

Did we ever get any real pokemon game announcements at E3? I have the feeling the pokemon news always breaks in japan first, mostly in magazines and tv shows.

Although I don't follow it that closely so I can be wrong.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
No surprise, Stars is all but confirmed.
I doubt it'll be in Thursday's presentation though. I reckon they won't want to eat into Sun and Moon's sales just yet.

Malakai

What performance issues, you get a stable framerate in 1v1 Pokemon battles. That's more than we ever got out of X/Y.

I should have had worded that a bit better. On the Non-New 3DS and 2DS, the systems goes into expanded memory mode and it takes longer for the game to load up for the non-new systems.

JoeM86

I'm more interested in if Stars is just the .5 gen release with small updates, or if it's entirely reworked for a "home console".

Either way, it'd make Switch much more enticing to me, especially within the launch year.

It'd be a third version or sequel. It won't be a new generation

Did we ever get any real pokemon game announcements at E3? I have the feeling the pokemon news always breaks in japan first, mostly in magazines and tv shows.

Although I don't follow it that closely so I can be wrong.

Sun & Moon's first proper showcase was at E3 2016. Several new Pokémon and features

ORAS had its first proper reveal at E3 2014. Its boxes had been shown before, as had 5 seconds of footage

XY had a lot of features revealed including the PSS and Fairy-type, as well as a myriad of other Pokémon

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I predict Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA Virtual Console (with some form of enabled trading) at launch with a Sun/Moon spin-off in October or November.

JoeM86

I predict Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA Virtual Console at launch with a Sun/Moon spin-off in October or November.

Spin-off is a different thing but I do agree that we'll get Virtual Console stuff early on, and the next main game this year :)

Zalman

This is not text directly from Nintendo. It's possible that GameStop is basing this on information from Nintendo, but it's also possible they're just assuming.

Also, I've seen people comment on the name. Eurogamer reported that Stars is just a codename. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I predict Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA Virtual Console (with some form of enabled trading) at launch with a Sun/Moon spin-off in October or November.

Why would they do this when they only just released the modernized OG Red/Blue but a few months ago? I think we'd sooner see a port of HG/SS or a remake of D/Pl/Pt

This is not text directly from Nintendo. It's possible that GameStop is basing this on information from Nintendo, but it's also possible they're just assuming.

Also, I've seen people comment on the name. Eurogamer reported that Stars is just a codename. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I hope so because eclipse is just too perfect a name to pass up

Top Bottom