• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

It will be interesting to see Switch sales in a couple months, it could be the Nintendo faithful who bought it the most at launch.

I am not happy with its success though, this just tells Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?
Is this for real? You know it's portable and smaller than most tablets right?

Quonny

"We need to make the narrative as positive as possible so we continue to sell out of consoles and games and get a bunch of trade ins. Please spend money."

The attach rate is interesting people must be buying more than zelda but the accessories dont mean much when the pro controller doesnt come with the system. And if you want more joycons u need to buy 2 instead of the normal 1. Also some of that maybe people buying screen protectors bc it scratches itself lol. Either way good for Nintendos bottom line.

Mihos

Gold Member
Wow. I am so glad I'm not like you. I couldn't care less about how advanced the graphics are or not. They're plenty good enough, the art direction is fantastic, and the game is amazing. I have a 2016 gaming PC with an i7 and n1080, and I'd rather play my Switch. I love the whole Switch concept, making it seamless to play anywhere in my house or even bring it outside etc.

Unlike you I am happy if Switch is very successful for Nintendo, because this industry is better from having Nintendo still around.

Also, what year is this? This is the year we got the first mainstream gaming device that can play a game like BOTW on TV as well as on the go, not to mention all the other cool tech in the Switch.

I am with you to a point, but as good as Zelda is in spite of the hardware... imagine what it could be unleashed on PC, or even PS4

TS-08

I don't know if I wanna get back to one screen pokemon games though.

Wow. I never really thought of the fact that a Switch mainline Pokémon would be the first on a single screen since Gen 3. Kind of crazy to think about.

pixelation

Wow. I am so glad I'm not like you. I couldn't care less about how advanced the graphics are or not. They're plenty good enough, the art direction is fantastic, and the game is amazing. I have a 2016 gaming PC with an i7 and n1080, and I'd rather play my Switch. I love the whole Switch concept, making it seamless to play anywhere in my house or even bring it outside etc.

Unlike you I am happy if Switch is very successful for Nintendo, because this industry is better from having Nintendo still around.

Also, what year is this? This is the year we got the first mainstream gaming device that can play a game like BOTW on TV as well as on the go, not to mention all the other cool tech in the Switch.

Sorry but graphics are paramount to my enjoyment of a game, fantastic art direction... i cannot agree with that because Nintendo's current love for washed out, bloomed out color schemes is extremely offputting (to me) add the bad alliasing and i cannot say that the art direction for BotW is fantastic.

Yes the industry is better with Nintendo around and i love them, but i hate how stubborn they are. At this rate their next console will likely be a moderate increase (in power) relative to the Switch which will (most likely) keep it bellow the XBO/PS4 succesors and i am dying to see what they can do on the best (console) tech available at the moment.

I don't care at all about the Switch portability factor, handhelds are not for me ( rarely if ever do i play my Vita) so when i think about the portability side of the Switch i can only see a reason for the Switch being as underpowered as it is (for a home console).

I am with you to a point, but as good as Zelda is in spite of the hardware... imagine what it could be unleashed on PC, or even PS4
I would then be teathered to a TV and would probably be able to spend 1-2 hours a week enjoying a marginally better looking version of the game. That sounds awful.

DavidDesu

Definitely see it really taking off this Xmas and beyond. In a year or two we should see the promise of the handheld and console games from Nintendo converging onto the device and hopefully a price cut by then too. It's a truly nice and unique system and I can't see it not being a pretty great success.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't think it will be near Wii but I will share an anecdote that means nothing...

2 of my friends who have not bought a Nintendo console since 64 want a Switch and Zelda. The concept (and Zelda!!) is great.

Sorry but graphics are paramount to my enjoyment of a game, fantastic art direction... i cannot agree with that because Nintendo's current love for washed out, bloomed out color schemes is extremely offputting (to me) add the bad alliasing and i cannot say that the art direction for BotW is fantastic.

Yes the industry is better with Nintendo around and i love them, but i hate how stubborn they are. At this rate their next console will likely be a moderate increase (in power) relative to the Switch which will (most likely) keep it bellow the XBO/PS4 succesors and i am dying to see what they can do on the best (console) tech available at the moment.

I don't care at all about the Switch portability factor, handhelds are not for me ( rarely if ever do i play my Vita) so when i think about the portability side of the Switch i can only see a reason for the Switch being as underpowered as it is (for a home console).
You're literally complaining that the Switch can't keep up with the PS4 and Xbox One, look at what it is. It isn't meant to.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

The point of the Switch is mobile hardware has reached a point where visuals still look good on large displays. It doesn't provide graphics on par with PS4 and Xbox One but you're missing the point if you think it should. Just spend a few seconds looking at it.

3DS has done about 65 million, right? What about the Switch is more appealing than the 3DS that would entertain the suggestion it's going to almost double its install base?

pixelation

You're literally complaining that the Switch can't keep up with the PS4 and Xbox One, look at what it is. It isn't meant to.

The point of the Switch is mobile hardware has reached a point where visuals still look good on large displays. It doesn't provide graphics on par with PS4 and Xbox One but you're missing the point if you think it should. Just spend a few seconds looking at it.

And that's awesome for mobile gaming oriented gamers, but not for me. My interest in handhelds and mobile gaming has become non existant, so that (hopefully) explains why i am bummed about the Switch tech specs when viewed solely as a dedicated home console?

SeanR1221

Goddamn the switch looks nice

shiyrley

Banned
Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?
I bought a second AC adapter because having to unplug the dock every time I want to charge the Switch in portable mode (aka a lot of times) would make me want to destroy the universe

_Clash_

I don't get why any self respecting gamer wouldn't be tempted by this hotness. I get if you think the games and eco system is exxy

But don't tell me you don't want this hotness

Will see about that wii comparison... But I'll contribute to those numbers in december when Mario arrives from his odyssey.

Same here, for me Mario Odyssey will be the first must have exclusive on this console. The Switch will not reach Wii numbers unless they manage to make another Wii Sports casual crowd type of game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Because of the popularity of Zelda, which is one of my top picks, we’re putting together a Zelda bundle

I love this sentence.

Thanks, guy, for letting me know Zelda is one of your top picks, I needed that confirmation.

b3b0p

It will be interesting to see Switch sales in a couple months, it could be the Nintendo faithful who bought it the most at launch.

I am not happy with its success though, this just tells Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?

I can't comprehend this. For one thing, graphics are not the only measurement of technology advancement. For me games are meant to be fun and that's why I play them. For enjoyment. I have never found graphics to be a factor in making a game enjoyable. I choose to replay my NES, Game Boy, SNES, Genesis, etc and work on my backlog and consider those games more fun and enjoyable then most games coming out in recent years.

Well ofcourse there is only a handfull of games and content on Switch right now.Couple that with the fact beta testers day one buyers are seemingly anxious to spend money with Nintendo based on all the over priced Switch accessories being needed wanted and sold.

I just can't justify $400ish on a system that launched early with such basic OS and no apps especially after being burned with my WiiU.

Success was a given the moment when gaf said it would bomb. Gaf is like the Pachter of videogame predictions.

Fantastic console. Possibly my favourite so far. And I have a PS4 Pro and a Titan X Pascal. But Switch is the one that gets how I really want to play - living room, bed, split controller, table top, local multiplayer.

^ This

lutheran

3DS has done about 65 million, right? What about the Switch is more appealing than the 3DS that would entertain the suggestion it's going to almost double its install base?

Much much much much more powerful, should have support of both normal handheld developers and also some regular console developer ports or original games, playing on a TV still looks fantastic and is in higher resolution while not being a gimmick. I don't think it will double the 3DS sales but as for it's appeal well there is plenty to like. I have no doubt barring a complete drop of the ball by Nintendo (or them not making this the 3DS follow up) that this system will sell at least as many systems as the 3DS did.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Always back to the but what if Nintendo games were on my platform of choice, which doesn't include Nintendo platforms.

I think my point has been made and if you read (and understand) you'll realize what i meant. Not gonna derail the thread.

Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?

Your point is absolutely ridiculous and factually false. The Switch is incredible tech and is in no ways "caught in a technological groundhog day"

Sales? You only sold it for one day.
To be fair, Nintendo could figure out the lifetime sales of the Wii U about 6 months after release. I'd love to see their sales projections at that point. I guarantee you they were probably around 15 million lifetime. So many factors to take into account. All signs are pointing to the Switch having more of those factors in the positive column than the Wii U ever had.

And that's awesome for mobile gaming oriented gamers, but not for me. My interest in handhelds and mobile gaming has become non existant, so that (hopefully) explains why i am bummed about the Switch tech specs when viewed solely as a dedicated home console?

The Switch appeals only to mobile oriented gamers?

I've heard it all.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

This is like the daddy of all port-begs.

ReitStuff

Switch can probably do that but there will be a sizeable contingent that won't admit to it. "You have to subtract 60 million" for 3ds sales or something of that nature will become common. I'm wondering if Nintendo would publicly tout 2nd place console. I don't think anyone crows about second place but it would still be an achievement.

They might. I remember back in mid 2014, right after Mario Kart 8 came out, Reggie made some comments about how "we're in second place" when asked about Wii U sales (XBOne didn't pass Wii U until Fall 2014).

Finn

I mean, I totally get it. Like, the PS4 and the X1 are great consoles with awesome games, amazing graphics, and are just all around beasts, but when you look at them through the lens of mobile gaming? Oy. Have you tried to carry a PS4 onto the train during rush hour? Near impossible. So yea, they're just not for me and I'm not thrilled with their success.

Mikey Jr.

Glad it's doing great.

Won't surpass Wii.

Wii was a phenomenon. It captured the casual of the casuals on day 1. The whole thing was the perfect storm.

The switch will do well. I just worry about the usual "Nintendo drought". You get the Nintendo game, play it for a week or two, then wait a few months for the next Nintendo game, etc. 2017 should be ok though.

JordanN

Banned
Does it, though?

-Launches in the middle of a gen. Historically, these consoles tend to struggle when popular ones exist (ex: Jaguar, 3DO, Dreamcast)
-No discreet price advantage like the Wii or DS had
-Major 3rd party support likely to skip system again
-Competing against both home consoles and mobile
-Because it's a PS3/360++ tier system, dev costs affect the lifecycle of how many games can be made and their ROI. PS Vita was literally destroyed by this when AAA collapsed on itself.

It comes down to how many people want a machine that mostly does just Nintendo games. But look at N64/Gamecube to see how that fared.

Azerare

Is there a law that states how soon someone will essentially port beg or "Bu-but imagine <insert game> with this platform/company."

On topic: I'm glad that nintendo is doing well with the switch so far. Game wise I've been enjoying Zelda of course. I also picked up bomber man and snipperclips (excellent drinking game with friends).
I think Mario kart deluxe will push more units next month as well.

Kuro

-Launches in the middle of a gen. Historically, these consoles tend to struggle when popular ones exist (ex: Jaguar, 3DO, Dreamcast)
-Because it's a PS3/360++ tier system, dev costs affect the lifecycle of how many games can be made and their ROI. Vita was literally destroyed by this when AAA collapsed on itself.

It comes down to how many people want a machine that mostly does just Nintendo games. But look at N64/Gamecube to see how that fared.

Difference is that this console will also be their handheld offering so it will have 3ds audience which is still sizable. I think I will definitely do better than Wii U but I'm not seeing it do as well as the 3ds.

Neff

-Because it's a PS3/360++ tier system, dev costs affect the lifecycle of how many games can be made and their ROI. PS Vita was literally destroyed by this when AAA collapsed on itself.

Some of these negatives seem rather imaginative, uninformed, or far-fetched, not to mention being outweighed by palpably concrete positives.

I don't expect a Wii-like success either, but Switch seems -even at this stage- to be doing a lot right and little wrong.

I think I will definitely do better than Wii U but I'm not seeing it do as well as the 3ds.

If the current momentum continues, and the software is there down the line, both from Nintendo and third parties, I could see it equalling 3DS. The potential is huge but Nintendo have to play their hand exactly right.

3DS was like the most shit hardware bound by great games. Just on thr basis that the Switch is good hardware and an appealing device I could see this outselling the 3DS. The only region that is in doubt imo is Japan. I think the Switch can have a better European and American Market.

3DS was like the most shit hardware bound by great games. Just on thr basis that the Switch is good hardware and an appealing device I could see this outselling the 3DS. The only region that is in doubt imo is Japan. I think the Switch can have a better European and American Market.
But if Switch gets Pokémon and Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing, on top of Splatoon and Dragon Quest and Mario and Mario Kart..&#129300;

Top Bottom