• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop To Open 1,000 Nintendo Switch Reservations At Random In Stores on Saturday

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I work tomorrow. I had no idea about this...

56aaaf636602cb09c44a15274c73c2e1_-sitting-in-fetal-position-man-in-fetal-position-clipart_400-250.jpeg

kubev

Clerk: "Hi, welcome to GameStop. How can I help you?"
You: "I'd like to buy a brand new, sealed copy of [game name]."
Clerk: "Would you prefer a used copy? You can save $5."
You: "Nah, I'd prefer a new copy."
Clerk: "Anything else."
You: "Nope."
Clerk: "Congratulations! You've been selected to pre-order a Nintendo Switch!"

DR2K

Banned
Congrats on winning! Would you like to put $25 down on a reservation?

No.

No.

Do you have Battletoads in stock?

Kindekuma

Banned
I REALLY doubt this was Nintendo's idea.

I don't think it is. It's a way for GameStop to dangle console over your head to get you to visit the store and buy something while you're there.

"Oh, I might get the chance to get snag a pre-order of a Switch? Better go to GameStop and hopefully I'll win! They probably won't hand it out to just anyone who waltzes in, I should look around and show my interest!"

kubev

With the Circle of Life nonsense, isn't it better for the employees if they don't sell the preorders?

They're pre-orders, so I'm sure it's fine. This would probably be a bad thing for employees if customers were "randomly" selected to purchase new systems that were in stock, though.

ThEoRy...

I remember when I used to like going into gamestop. Pretty sucky now. How bout funco land? That place was awesome. Even during the Dreamcast days they still had a healthy collection of Sega Genesis games.

Apath

I don't get it.

You walk in, try to pre-order, and some field on their computer says if it worked or not...?

zethren

Banned
This is stupid...

I worked for GameStop for 6 years...but this is dumber than anything else they did during that time. Screw that company.

Seems kinda silly but the outrage here seems sillier. "First come first serve" is a breeding ground for scalpers and scalpers should be shot. Although, I guess this could result in randos putting in tickets even if they don't want the Switch and then scalping their preorders. So, whatever. It's just 1,000. They'd disappear quick as hell anyways.

People are also acting like this kind of thing is unprecedented, or even really just in uncommon in general, which is kind of strange, because it's not.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
GameStop stores and guests will be selected at random throughout the day on Saturday. They just walk in and ask and don't have to purchase anything. Also, it's zero money down."

"Can I have the Nintendo Switch?"

"The screen says no."

Couleurs

This sounds like such a clusterfuck

Like, how does the "random" selection occur? Something prints on the receipt saying they were selected, even if they are buying some other stuff and have no interest in preordering? Clerk has to check a website each time someone asks to preorder to see if they can?

Or is it up to the clerk to pick someone, which inevitably leads to:
Kid - Hi can I preorder a Switch?
Clerk - sorry, none are available
*kid leaves disappointed*
Cute girl next in line - Hi can I preorder a Switch?
Clerk - whooooa you were randomly selected, congratulations!!

Can you walk into the same store repeatedly and keep asking their RNG/cute guy-or-girl behind the desk if you've won?
I'm not sure what their plan here is? We know they make very little money off new console sales anyways, so their thinking is a customer will walk in and ask "do you have any switch reservations?" and then be told no and then think "oh, well in that case, I'll just buy some sweet used games bro!"??
There is a 100% chance that whoever thought of this "promotion" is using it to earn brownie points with management using this logic. "Heh, our customers are so stupid they'll come in for the chance to spend money, and at the same time we'll talk them into spending even more money! Even the suckers who get a Switch will all get talked into ordering games and accessories."

pelican

Despite having GAME I'm quite glad Gamestop don't have a retail presence in the UK. One questionable high street game retailer is enough.

Toli08

Is this 1000 pre orders per store or 1000 total? Because if it's 1000 total that's not enough for all the stores in the States. Therefore, how do you even know if your Gamestop is even in this magical RNG game. Are they going to line people up?
Or is it just a random bell will ring and confetti will come out of all the used game cases behind them? Congrats you have won the privilege of pre ordering the Ninendo Switch.

WadeitOut

Preordering Nintendo stuff outside of Europe sounds like a nightmare.

If you know what you're doing it's really not hard. I can't even remember the last time I missed out preordering something. And I preorder a ton of stuff between collectibles and electronics. You just have to properly utilize that internet machine you carry around in your pocket efficiently.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why not make a bundle out of it gamestop.
Make em 700 bucks!

When you get this switch you also get the wii u with it. With some games we cant sell.

Top Bottom