• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop trying to sell the GC adapter with 4 GC controllers for $139.95

Stuff like this just reminds me of why I fucking love PC gaming. Not having to put up with this bullshit is just fantastic.

I can say fuck off to Gamestop until the end of time.

jadedm17

Because every single person who wants an adapter is looking to flip it right? Them mental gymnastics.
Every single person who wanted it had a chance to preorder an adapter for a ten year old controller that works for one game. It's a hardware accessory for a niche market so if you wanted more made then preordering would have helped them get a better idea for demand.

If it was sold at retail it'd probably have sold out quickly and everyone would have their excuses why they missed another chance and keep complaining. That's what people do : They complain. A little more foresight and so many wouldn't be in this mess.

DR2K

Banned
You could always just return the controllers if their "bundle" is in separate skus on the receipt.

Because every single person who wants an adapter is looking to flip it right? Them mental gymnastics.

I love how you take my wording literally. I didn't mean all buyer would be scalpers but you can't deny that it's an obvious opportunity for scalpers to make a profit if they just sell it at the retail price. It doesn't mean I support this bundle bullshit but at least this could stop scaplers and find customers who really have a use for it.

fernoca

Not..bad?
The item is in low supply and like with console launches, retailers create this bundles in the meantime to sell an item to those that really want it rather than to scalpers.

Usually there are no savings. Sucks, but is nothing new or weird...or even scummy, just business.

DR2K

Banned
Every single person who wanted it had a chance to preorder an adapter for a ten year old controller that works for one game. It's a hardware accessory for a niche market so if you wanted more made then preordering would have helped them get a better idea for demand.

If it was sold at retail it'd probably have sold out quickly and everyone would have their excuses why they missed another chance and keep complaining. That's what people do : They complain. A little more foresight and so many wouldn't be in this mess.

You are aware that the demand was so great that several retailers cancelled preorders? Preorders also help companies gauge demand.

Nah that would be too hard, better under ship it enough and sit on our asses while scalpers take advantage of customers and take away money on the table. Your anger is misdirected, the only one at fault for this shortage is Nintendo. Not the people that like their product and want to give them money for a better experience.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
While I don't like the forced bundling, it looks like they're still charging msrp, so it's not really scalping.

(mat)

And Pizza Hut sells shitty pizza. That doesn't mean I'm going to complain because on their shitty pizza is perfectly good pepperoni that I could be eating on OTHER pizza. I'm not going to bitch and complain that they won't sell their pepperoni separately. I just won't buy it, and find another place to get pepperoni regardless of how inconvenient that may be.

Who

Banned
I would totally buy this if I had the money. I still need a gamepad and the game though 😬

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This bundle already sold out once. It'll sell out again.

supply and demand. Nintendo should take some blame in this also for vastly underestimate their market.

Kind of goes both ways. Retailers may not have ordered much. If they didn't, Nintendo damn sure isn't going to risk losing money on a ton of accessories. They are super conservative. The Wii U isn't lighting the sales charts on fire but you want them to have excess of inventory just in case? Nah. Nintendo doesn't roll that way.

Also...people had ample chance to pre-order these things many, many months in advance via so many retailers. Hate to say it, but more people should have pre-ordered.

TuXx

ezgif-730222194.gif

Crzy1

In their position I'd do the same thing. If Nintendo didn't practice what is overall just plain bizarre business, this wouldn't even be a thing.

Aroll

Don't really know what the issue is. Gamestop trying to sell stuff, news at 10. They aren't overcharging you. Are we complaining because it's not cheaper?

I mean, I get that it sucks that their adapter on it's own is old out and you can only get one if you buy 4 contollers - but they aren't the only retailer out there that sells them - they are just trying to make a bit more money per sale on an item that is hard to find. They aren't ripping you off, if you don't like the deal, don't buy it. Just go on backorder at the store itself or at another retailer.

Bundles that don't save you a dime happen all the time. I don't see how this is any worse than those times. You can hate it, but it's not retailer exclusive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They could at least bundle the adapter with a game or something else for those of us who already have GC controllers.

impact

Banned
How about let's blame Nintendo for shipping out 19 adapters worldwide? Yea Gamestop is scum but we already knew that. If Nintendo shipped more then Gamestop would never be in a position to do this shit.

alf717

How about let's blame Nintendo for shipping out 19 adapters worldwide? Yea Gamestop is scum but we already knew that. If Nintendo shipped more then Gamestop would never be in a position to do this shit.

The absolute same could be said for Amiibo. But those are worse. All these extras tagged on with Smash are a nightmare. Don't get me wrong I like Amiibo but not at scalper prices. Limited runs are just lame. Was planning to get each and ever Amiibo but now only Mega Man will probably be the only one I pick up. Why release such a small amount and then never bother with them again. Reminds me of the scarf extra people wanted to buy but got shafted cause it was a Nintendo store exclusive and the one and only store is in NY.

drotahorror

Didn't they do something similar with Xenoblade and Metroid Prime trilogy on the Wii?

Even the used version of those, they were taxing.

Koh

Because that totally works.

There will be a hell of a lot of people who will be "voting with their wallets", given that they can't afford to buy $120 worth of controllers just to get an adapter. But there will be some that will, and it will be enough that the prices will stay, just like say, Xenoblade. That doesn't suddenly make it kosher though.

people are paying over $80 for these items individually. Obviously it's worth that much to them. The price will decrease as those that value it at that price are fulfilled or the supply overwhelms them. Gamestop wants to sell you the adaptor. However they want to sell it to the people who value it the most first while Nintendo builds more, hence bundling. If the price exceeded the perceived value, people wouldn't purchase it.

In some ways its actually more fair... with limited supply is first come first serve better than finding the people who value the item more?

Lame practice? Yeah. Reasonable response to poor supply? Certainly.

impact

Banned
The absolute same could be said for Amiibo. But those are worse. All these extras tagged on with Smash are a nightmare. Don't get me wrong I like Amiibo but not at scalper prices. Limited runs are just lame. Was planning to get each and ever Amiibo but now only Mega Man will probably be the only one I pick up. Why release such a small amount and then never bother with them again. Reminds me of the scarf extra people wanted to buy but got shafted cause it was a Nintendo store exclusive and the one and only store is in NY.

True. I wouldn't mind that Rosalina one but uh yea.... thanks Nintendo. I'll keep my $100

Daingurse

Fuck this, I just bought a 3rd party morph:

Hope it works out okay. Nintendo should have made more of these things, I would like to use my Wavebird, but the damn adapter is pretty much at scalper prices everywhere.

I don't understand. Isn't this a good deal?

1 GC Adapter AND and 4 GC controllers for $140.

Huge price of entry for the adapter, pretty good deal if you need tons of controllers. Most people just want the adapter, and possibly a controller or two. I can't afford/justify that bundle for just the adapter.

bryehn

LOL trying to. We all know these will sell out, Nintendo fans are generally a bit touched.

#sorrynotsorry

espher

If I could get this in Canada, I would strongly consider it.

I have one GC adapter and four controllers... would not complain about getting enough for eight player Smash.

I still think it's scummy for them to make that the only avenue for the adapters, especially with all the sketchy stuff they have a history of pulling.

Artorias

Banned
GameStop ensuring product is on shelves for customers who want it most. Sounds like good service.

Yes, because the people who want it most have zero Gamecube controllers.

I know there is a defense force for everything on Gaf (and particularly for GS from its many employees) but some of these responses are just too ridiculous.

jediyoshi

Don't really know what the issue is. Gamestop trying to sell stuff, news at 10. They aren't overcharging you. Are we complaining because it's not cheaper?

I mean, I get that it sucks that their adapter on it's own is old out and you can only get one if you buy 4 contollers - but they aren't the only retailer out there that sells them - they are just trying to make a bit more money per sale on an item that is hard to find. They aren't ripping you off, if you don't like the deal, don't buy it. Just go on backorder at the store itself or at another retailer.

You realize you're defeating the point of your strawman if you're answering your own question, right? I still don't follow the idea that because something can happen precludes the idea that it can be shitty. Do you live the entirety of your life like that in society?

Think I may do this. I have the one that came with my Bundle so this would round out 8p Smash with all GC controllers.

It still surprises me how many people didn't preorder or snatch those adapters Day 1...

Top Bottom