• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop trying to sell the GC adapter with 4 GC controllers for $139.95

Ace 8095

Yes, because the people who want it most have zero Gamecube controllers.

I know there is a defense force for everything on Gaf (and particularly for GS from its many employees) but some of these responses are just too ridiculous.
I think you would find most economist share my opinion. This is an item in low supply with a market price far higher than $20. Since GameStop cannot markup the price of the adaptor, they are forced the create a ridiculous bundle to ensure the item remains in stock. If they were to simply sell the adaptor for $20 the majority would be resold on secondary markets at market clearing price.

I think you would find most economist share my opinion. This is an item in low supply with a market price far higher than $20. Since GameStop cannot markup the price of the adaptor, they are forced the create a ridiculous bundle to ensure the item remains in stock. If they were to simply sell the adaptor for $20 the majority would be resold on secondary markets at market clearing price.
I agree with the economics laid out here, but also chiming in to confirm anecdotally. When GameStop restocked them online twoish weeks ago, they sold for plain MSRP, $20. They were gone in like ten minutes. Personally, I bought two and resold them at $90 each on another website. I probably could have sold them for more if I wanted. So, sure. There are people who would like the plain adapter for their personal use. But many people are going to take advantage if it's sold at MSRP, because there's a demand for the item that goes above MSRP.

Besides keeping the item in stock, they also probably want to bundle to clear stock of a glut of the controllers. It's a waste of shelf space to have all these controllers that no one can use (because of adapter scarcity). So how do you clear the glut? Bundle it. Like I said, at least everything in the bundle is being sold at retail price. It's a bad deal if you have the controllers already, but they're not upcharging for anything in the bundle. I'd love to see people's reactions if they sold the controllers at "market" price.

Fox Mulder

reminds me of the xenoblade reprint/hoarding.....

VINTAGE COLLECTION!

Except that any idiot could print off the birthday coupon and end up paying less than what the market price was at the time. I got xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy steelbook cheaper at gamestop than anywhere else.

It sucked, but I blame Nintendo of America more for being cheap fucks and not giving the game a proper release.

AlexBasch

IIRC, the Gamecube controllers only work with Smash, correct?

If so, they can go fuck themselves for trying to keep it tied to four controllers, I'm more used to the classic controller anyway.

61HtpwF9j3L._SL1000_.jpg
Saw this controller at a game shop near here, is it good or does it have a '3rd party feel' to it? I want the Peach one. :3

I know there is a defense force for everything on Gaf (and particularly for GS from its many employees) but some of these responses are just too ridiculous.
Some people defend the whole 'sell an opened game as new' bullshit, what did you expect?

kaioshade

If so, they can go fuck themselves for trying to keep it tied to four controllers, I'm more used to the classic controller anyway.

Saw this controller at a game shop near here, is it good or does it have a '3rd party feel' to it? I want the Peach one. :3

Some people defend the whole 'sell an opened game as new' bullshit, what did you expect?

As far as i know, the Hori ones are officially licensed, and feel very good, comparable to Nintendo's own.

On the flipside of this thread, my friends that play smash competitively preordered the bundle seconds after I mentioned its existence, and I was surprised until I realized there's no markup. $120 is a prohibitive cost of entry but hopefully it means less scalpers took advantage of this when they'd be sitting on the controllers.

Honestly I don't feel its necessary to blame anyone but Nintendo in this situation for undershipping the damn adapters and amiibos for the holiday season.

I talked to a EBGames Canada employee that I know very well and during a Nintendo Canada meeting, Nintendo told them that they will receive 2 more GC adapters during the next Amiibo shipment in Feb. If you want these I guess this is your best bet.

foltzie1

If you are really in the market for this, aren't you someone who would also be in the market for at least a controller or two?

Think I may do this. I have the one that came with my Bundle so this would round out 8p Smash with all GC controllers.

It still surprises me how many people didn't preorder or snatch those adapters Day 1...

Pre-order a fucking controller adapter? Are you insane? Until this, when has that ever been something that was needed?

foltzie1

Pre-order a fucking controller adapter? Are you insane? Until this, when has that ever been something that was needed?

Can you purchase the 20th anniversary PS4 on the shelf?

Certain products have short runs.

Though this shouldnt be one of them, so long as they keep selling out.

Artorias

Banned
If you are really in the market for this, aren't you someone who would also be in the market for at least a controller or two?

Sure, if you're somebody who just woke up today and decided you wanted to play the new Smash with a controller for a 13 year old console. In reality, most people who want this adapter have been playing Smash on a GC controller for many years, otherwise why not just use the half dozen other control methods?

Jobbs

Banned
was ready to be mad at gamestop, but this isn't that big a deal. they're not over-valuing it. I'm not a big fan of bundles, but at least they aren't selling it "used" for $80.

Not sure what your point is. Be thankful that they are selling it retail price, because the alternative is them scalping the price like me. I'm perfectly willing to admit I sold them above retail price. I needed money for Christmas presents, and someone was willing to pay above MSRP. In fact this bundle should prevent more scalping, because the bundle is too costly for reselling to really be valuable anymore.

One-Shot

Banned
Don't see the big deal. It's not like they are charging more than what you would pay if you got them separately. Probably saving on sales tax actually.

riotous

Banned
Don't see the big deal. It's not like they are charging more than what you would pay if you got them separately. Probably saving on sales tax actually.

Not sure what your point is. Be thankful that they are selling it retail price, because the alternative is them scalping the price like me. I'm perfectly willing to admit I sold them above retail price. I needed money for Christmas presents, and someone was willing to pay above MSRP. In fact this bundle should prevent more scalping, because the bundle is too costly for reselling to really be valuable anymore.

Well at least you aren't bragfing about it in a hobbyist forum where the people that want the item at a fair price can't find it because of scalpers.

Wait...

That's exactly what you and so many other gamers do endlessly.

Can you imagine someone showing up to a forum for a band and bragging about how much they scalped tickets for?

Socially inept behavior.

tbm24

Well at least you aren't bragfing about it in a hobbyist forum where the people that want the item at a fair price can't find it because of scalpers.

Wait...

That's exactly what you and so many other gamers do endlessly.

Can you imagine someone showing up to a forum for a band and bragging about how much they scalped tickets for?

Socially inept behavior.
Not sure why you're taking his admission as bragging. It was more to make a point.

I'm actually considering this since I wanted another adapter for eight player Smash and I only have four GC controllers currently.

It's a dick move but not unprecedented. GS always scalps by bundling highly demanded hardware during the holiday season.

bomblord1

Banned
I see nothing wrong with this.

-Edit
Demand is high and supply is low. This would typically lead to just flat out increasing the price of the item. Instead you are getting the item for the same price but buying 4 controllers (all also the same price) with it I think that's better than just flat out increasing the price.

Richie

Hori controllers are damn good, own both that Mario one and a Luigi one, and they are great. Do note though that there is no Hori Peach model. Those ones (PDP they're called IRC) are said to be of much inferior quality.

A niche product for a niche console that's getting niche love that supports another niche products controllers.... That's getting pretty crap store space as it is... "When has something like this ever been needed?" When has another company made their controllers from, not one, but two generations back, relevant again?

It sucks these weren't mass produced for their first run, and I say first because I'm sure there will be another run next year, but I can't be mad about it. The Wii U is the second most underrated console of all time. From a business stand point it makes sense, from a customer stand point its frustrating... This is a temporary solution for those who don't have any GC controllers to utilize, that's being sold for the exact amount the products sold total to; Not scalper prices. That won't work for everyone but it is better than nothing until Nintendo makes more.

Not really liking this Nintendo/Gamestop partnership. Marked-up reprints of Xenoblade/Metroid Prime Trilogy, exclusive and limited Pokemon code cards instead of unlimited digital distribution, and now this.

b3b0p

I actually like this.

Prevents 3rd parties from scalping and gives true Smash addicts without an adapter ability to easily purchase at MSRP.

From experience, if you play a lot of Smash, you can *not* ever have too many controllers.

NateDog

Fuck this, I just bought a 3rd party morph:

Hope it works out okay. Nintendo should have made more of these things, I would like to use my Wavebird, but the damn adapter is pretty much at scalper prices everywhere.

Huge price of entry for the adapter, pretty good deal if you need tons of controllers. Most people just want the adapter, and possibly a controller or two. I can't afford/justify that bundle for just the adapter.

HORI items are normally priced relatively high compared to other third party brands because their stuff is good quality, I ordered the Luigi one (although this was a while back in the UK for £25, now it's listed at £50 currently although they're still waiting for their stock).

It's called supply and demand, fellers. Don't be mad at GS, be mad at Nintendo for not making enough and yourselves for not preordering/buying them while they were still available.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, so some of y'all are telling me that Nintendo barely made any adapters but a shit ton of GC controllers?

This whole saga keeps getting better and better.

Pizza

4 Controllers @ $30 each = $120
GameCube Adapter = $20

You literally save nothing with this. It's a forced "deal", disgusting.

It's more of a bundle than a deal, imo, sure you save nothing but even if I had four gc controllers, this would bump me up to 8. Sure I'd only have one adapter, but at some point in 2015 they'll be widely available.

It's not overpriced or anything, it's just there for those who want it

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I talked to a EBGames Canada employee that I know very well and during a Nintendo Canada meeting, Nintendo told them that they will receive 2 more GC adapters during the next Amiibo shipment in Feb. If you want these I guess this is your best bet.

2 GC adapters? Or 2 shipments?

Top Bottom