• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop trying to sell the GC adapter with 4 GC controllers for $139.95

Tripon

4 Controllers @ $30 each = $120
GameCube Adapter = $20

You literally save nothing with this. It's a forced "deal", disgusting.

Could be a lot worse. They could just sell the adapter, used, for 80 bucks since they know it's rare.

('Used' meaning they opened the box to mark it up.)

Hopefully they don't bump up the price like the "Used" Xenoblade Chronicles discs.

emb

Could be a lot worse. They could just sell the adapter, used, for 80 bucks since they know it's rare.

('Used' meaning they opened the box to mark it up.)

*sigh*

I already have fucking four GC controllers! Including the sexy white one that I bought for Smash that I CAN'T CURRENTLY USE!

asudihiasyd78ayd8asgdasdohsdgajgd

You don't save anything, but you're also not losing anything. At least not in comparison to what they could do by selling the pieces apart. Just be thankful they're not trying to rip you off and jack up prices on the adapters. I sold two at $90 a pop on Saturday.

Aeana

You don't save anything, but you're also not losing anything. At least not in comparison to what they could do by selling the pieces apart. Just be thankful they're not trying to rip you off and jack up prices on the adapters. I sold two at $90 a pop on Saturday.

You're certainly losing something if you do not want four Gamecube controllers.

ZeroX03

Banned

They're going for that much? And mine is still unopened...

You're certainly losing something if you do not want four Gamecube controllers.
Sure. If you have them or don't need that many, it's not a good deal. But what I meant was that the package itself does not jack up the price, nor does it lower the price. It just is. They're selling for retail price, I guess to clear stock. It's a bit irritating that they're bundling to clear stock sure, but like I said, at least they're not jacking up the price. They easily could

Eh, whatever. If you're so mad about it, don't buy it.

... did you even pay attention? People want the adapters, but they're hard to find and often very overpriced. GameStop has a nice little stash of them, but the only way to buy them is with this ridiculous bundle. They're effectively extorting the desperate into buying $120 worth of GameCube controllers. And what's worse, is that by locking their supply of adapters behind such a high price wall, they encourage others to jack up their own prices as well, due to the artificial scarcity GameStop has created.

Jetku

And we're all supposed to support it just because of that, apparently.

No one said to support it, but it's certainly their prerogative to choose this unsavory route.

Luckily they only pull this forced bundle crap online and not in stores.

I don't think it's too bad, it's at least retail price and they're trying to clear out of an excess of gamecube controllers. You still have to pay ~$80 just for the adapter if you want to buy one from an online source currently, so it's hard to fault Gamestop for trying to sell an excess product by bundling it with one that is scarce due to Nintendo's lack of supply. Obviously it would be nice to have them available standalone for their retail price, but that's how things are right now. Wish I could find one but it's looking impossible before new years.

yatesl

Considering the rarity in the UK, I'd be happy if GAME did the same thing, whether I needed the controllers or not.

As others have said, you're not paying above RRP.

No you're supposed to speak with your wallet. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's a business which means they'll only sell at a price or in a bundle for as long as it sells.

Because that totally works.

There will be a hell of a lot of people who will be "voting with their wallets", given that they can't afford to buy $120 worth of controllers just to get an adapter. But there will be some that will, and it will be enough that the prices will stay, just like say, Xenoblade. That doesn't suddenly make it kosher though.

Kureransu

I'm now glad i was able to get in on the 12/15 shipment. $24.90 after shipping and taxes. Had feeling they would do bundles soon enough.

Considering the rarity in the UK, I'd be happy if GAME did the same thing, whether I needed the controllers or not.

As others have said, you're not paying above RRP.

But stuff like this is itself creating the so-called "rarity". :| They obviously have adapters to sell because well... They have adapters to sell... And when GameStop overprices their adapters, whether it's technically at RRP altogether or not, it encourages others to do the same as well, hence we get more $90 adapters on Amazon and eBay.

Because that totally works.

There will be a hell of a lot of people who will be "voting with their wallets", given that they can't afford to buy $120 worth of controllers just to get an adapter. But there will be some that will, and it will be enough that the prices will stay, just like say, Xenoblade. That doesn't suddenly make it kosher though.
Well, if you don't want "$120 worth of controllers," I'm sure Gamestop would love to sell you an adapter at market price right now. Market price being roughly $80 since Nintendo didn't make enough. $140 is at least retail price for all the objects involved.

Tripon

Well, if you don't want "$120 worth of controllers," I'm sure Gamestop would love to sell you an adapter at market price right now. Market price being roughly $80 since Nintendo didn't make enough. $140 is at least retail price for all the objects involved.
National retailers who try to sell items above MRSP when they have the best chance to source new shipments from suppliers is a problem. The current marker price is because the market is currently because there is limited supply of adapters. GameStop clearly are able to source adapters at their regular price, people should expect a retailer to sell it at the regular price as well.

... did you even pay attention? People want the adapters, but they're hard to find and often very overpriced. GameStop has a nice little stash of them, but the only way to buy them is with this ridiculous bundle. They're effectively extorting the desperate into buying $120 worth of GameCube controllers. And what's worse, is that by locking their supply of adapters behind such a high price wall, they encourage others to jack up their own prices as well, due to the artificial scarcity GameStop has created.

There is not 'artificial scarcity' there is a real scarcity and if you want to blame someone for this blame Nintendo. You can call this scummy all you want but its really not, Nintendo made a ton of the GC controllers and hardly any adapters, Gamestop is doing this in order to get rid of the very large stock of GC's they have when compared to the adapters. Again this is Nintendo's own fault, if they had not made the adapter so hard to get in the first place Gamestop wouldn't feel the need to maximize every sale.

Also remember its not like they started it like this, they had shipment of them a few weeks ago for order (To ship the 15th) without a bundle or anything but I'm sure they noticed that a lot of people who bought these immediately put them up on Ebay and other sites to mark them up (something they did not do when they easily could have) so this bundle is also largely a deterrent for scalpers as well so their entire stock isn't getting bought out only to be resold on other sites at 4x the price.

If instead they had not done this and had the adapters and were constantly sold out and there were reports saying that most of these were being bought out by scalpers we'd be having the opposite conversation with people saying why didn't GS do something to stop the scalpers in the first place.

What I'm trying to say is that they are damned if you do damned if you don't. I'm not saying thank god GS is super awesome for having this bundle, but at least look at it from the business perspective, its not about making more money by jacking up the price with addons (They don't make a lot of money from first party accessories as it is anyway), its about dealing with a stock disparity (very little adapters and TONS of extra controllers) and preventing scalpers from taking advantage of the limited stock they do have.

I know its easy to vilify GS and people love doing it (its really easy) but not everything they do is directly evil either.

ant1532

Banned
anyone know the current deal on the wii u gc adapters though? are they literally soldout everywhere? my friend was trying to get one asap

So people would be happier if GameStop sells the adapter at retail price so scalpers can scoop all of them and sell it at the "market" price?

There is no way to stop scalpers. At least this bundle can satisfy legit customers who want to play 8P Smash and don't have GC controllers laying around.

jadedm17

Quoting for emphasis. GameStop is horrible and they do horrible things.
This, in all honesty, isn't that bad. Everyone forces bundles except GameStop decided to opt out of the high price used route they usually do and do a typical forced bundle. That's actually pretty great.

Edit : Well said NovelMike. Supply and demand: GameStop isn't holding anything, they're selling at msrp in a bundle, something that Walmart, Target, Toysrus and plenty others have for hard to find things to up attachment rate and profits. They're a business, they're making money, what's the issue exactly? As said before if they sold the adapter alone it'd sell out and they'd end up on ebay so why not add some controllers and make more money?

People freak out over the stupidest things nowadays.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So people would be happier if GameStop sells the adapter at retail price so scalpers can scoop all of them and sell it at the "market" price?

There is no way to stop scalpers. At least this bundle can satisfy legit customers who want to play 8P Smash and don't have GC controllers laying around.
Because every single person who wants an adapter is looking to flip it right? Them mental gymnastics.

Top Bottom