• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Best of 2014 Awards

Do people not realize how insanely popular Hearthstone is? It's replaced LoL in my group of friends as our go to Multiplayer Google Hangout/Skype Call game. Bananas.

pastrami

Do people not realize how insanely popular Hearthstone is? It's replaced LoL in my group of friends as our go to Multiplayer Google Hangout/Skype Call game. Bananas.

But I haven't heard of it, or I don't like it, or I haven't played it, therefore it can not win multiplayer game of the year.

When will you guys finally learn that there's only one thing that matters. Me.

As far as expansions, meh, whatever. RoS was "OK" but the game was still a mess, and it was extremely light on content, which is becoming more and more like a blizzard thing these days.
We much have played different expansions. Its not just a large new act with new enemies and boss battles and events, the very fundamentals of the game itself have been overhauled, and it managed to completely reverse a massive tide of negativity the game had earned in the meanwhile. Its not just 'more', which many expansions and so-called expansions are these days - it also made all of the existing content far more replayable and scalable and challenging and rewarding.

Nokterian

Considering the lack-luster year in software releases it's not surprising. But even still, Hearthstone winning? Come on. If they truly believe that then it was a really-really bad year for MP.

As far as expansions, meh, whatever. RoS was "OK" but the game was still a mess, and it was extremely light on content, which is becoming more and more like a blizzard thing these days. If they said WoD though, even with I just said, I would agree with that. Despite the lack of content in WoD, it probably is the best xpac and MP of the year (technically).

RoS was OK? What the hell am i reading here? The whole game is revamped no traces left from Vanilla Diablo 3 with the horrific Acts doing it over and over Loot that was nothing only thing you did was doing was gold running for the auction house to get loot it was silly and dumb more then happy that they removed it.

They added so much to this game Adventure Mode,Nephalem Rifts now also with Greater Rifts,Seasons,Leaderboards,Loot 2.0,new class,revamped classes,A new act (Act V is my favorite because there is a tons of things to do) The Vault and a new patch with new content is on the way. It is a totally new game Adventure Mode is meat of the game there is the longevity of Diablo. WoD is packed with things to do but clearly you haven't had played both enough or you played a totally different game because that post doesn't make any sense to me.

If you haven't watched Blizzcon and i guess you didn't they had a panel how it went 2 years ago until now it was a very cool panel because to where we are now Diablo 3 RoS is my most played game of 2014 ticking at 400 orso hours of endless fun and goddamn loot! LOOT! And killing a bunch of monsters in 1 blow feels so damn satisfying every single time.

screenshot0268towc.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Best MP a card game? Ok gametrailers lol

It's legit good. Addictive, free, easy to get into hard to master, etc.

When does Blizzard not make awesomeness?

I have it on my ipad, computer, and play a decent amount. I'm not sure WHY it's so good, but it just is. Of all the MP games that came out this year...Hearthstone had no issues and pure fun right out of the "box."

SMgamer83

I actually really enjoy Hearthstone. Like $200+ enjoy. But to say that the multiplayer experience it provides is better than the likes of an MMO/Moba/Kart/Smash/FPS is a pretty odd notion to me. I actually found playing friends in Hearthstone not that enjoyable, but like the Arena or Ranked grinds.

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
BTW can anyone get gametrailers videos to play in HD? For several months it just won't load HD anything on any browser on my PC, no matter what options I pick, or despite it saying "HD is ON."
At the moment, GT's website and video player are in a state of limbo - they are Viacom products that are no longer supported by Viacom because GT is no longer owned by Viacom...

I think Warframe deserves to be in the contention for Best Expansions/DLC/Updates in these kinds of discussions too. I think reviewers checked the game out last year, judged it, and forgot about it. But in the meanwhile its grown significantly. The amount of updates and significance of those updates over the past year is staggering, especially when compared against the expectations set by its full priced AAA competition.

Melee 2.0, weapon stances, channeling and combo attacks; Pets and genetic engineering (Kubrows); Space Combat (Archwing); Factions, rep, sigils and augments (Syndicates); Clan alliances, territory acquisition and conflict (Dark Sectors and Solar Rails); Clan Dojo expansion, customization; Player hubs; Player ships and customization; a full (now diegetic) UI overhaul; a new Quest system and introductory quest for new players; a Warframe power and mod overhaul; a massively expanded Codex with how-tos and 3D breakdowns on warframes, weapons, enemies and objects and some lore; equippable and deployable Warframe AI allies (Tenno Specters); and new and massively overhauled mission types like Rescue 2.0 (with Wardens watching over the prison cells), Survival 2.0 (for planetside missions), Interception (control points), Hive Infestation, Orokin Sabotage and Excavation.

And that's besides all the new weapons (40), warframes (5), enemy types (14), bosses (5), tilesets (11), prime gear and events (lots), and all of this provided in regular free updates, across PC, Xbox One and PS4.

A game like Warframe is always going to be a work in progress, but gawd damn, Digital Extremes has been busy, and it doesn't look like they are going to slow down any time soon.

Nokterian

I think Warframe deserves to be in the contention for Best Expansions/DLC/Updates in these kinds of discussions too. I think reviewers checked the game out last year, judged it, and forgot about it. But in the meanwhile its grown significantly. The amount of updates and significance of those updates over the past year is staggering, especially when compared against the expectations set by its full priced AAA competition.

Melee 2.0, weapon stances, channeling and combo attacks; Pets and genetic engineering (Kubrows); Space Combat (Archwing); Factions, rep, sigils and augments (Syndicates); Clan alliances, territory acquisition and conflict (Dark Sectors and Solar Rails); Clan Dojo expansion, customization; Player hubs; Player ships and customization; a full (now diegetic) UI overhaul; a new Quest system and introductory quest for new players; a Warframe power and mod overhaul; a massively expanded Codex with how-tos and 3D breakdowns on warframes, weapons, enemies and objects and some lore; equippable and deployable Warframe AI allies (Tenno Specters); and new and massively overhauled mission types like Rescue 2.0 (with Wardens watching over the prison cells), Survival 2.0 (for planetside missions), Interception (control points), Hive Infestation, Orokin Sabotage and Excavation.

And that's besides all the new weapons (40), warframes (5), enemy types (14), bosses (5), tilesets (11), prime gear and events (lots), and all of this provided in regular free updates, across PC, Xbox One and PS4.

A game like Warframe is always going to be a work in progress, but gawd damn, Digital Extremes has been busy, and it doesn't look like they are going to slow down any time soon.

I have been playing it recently again and yeah the amount of work they did is amazing. It's different then last year and for the greater good it is packed. Runs flawless on PC and PS4 i mean your a Space Ninja who doesn't like that?

NuttSack

Throughout this year, GT has been much more "humanized" with their different shows and live streams, you got a sense of who these crazy butts are. I liked a lot the personal pick video with Max Song, looking forward to the others!

I get why they picked
HearthStone
as best multiplayer, they always talk about it and like they said, one vote could've change their pick.

Don't really have an opinion on the DLC but NullPointer makes me want to try out Warframe again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RoS was OK? What the hell am i reading here? The whole game is revamped no traces left from Vanilla Diablo 3 with the horrific Acts doing it over and over Loot that was nothing only thing you did was doing was gold running for the auction house to get loot it was silly and dumb more then happy that they removed it.

They added so much to this game Adventure Mode,Nephalem Rifts now also with Greater Rifts,Seasons,Leaderboards,Loot 2.0,new class,revamped classes,A new act (Act V is my favorite because there is a tons of things to do) The Vault and a new patch with new content is on the way. It is a totally new game Adventure Mode is meat of the game there is the longevity of Diablo. WoD is packed with things to do but clearly you haven't had played both enough or you played a totally different game because that post doesn't make any sense to me.

If you haven't watched Blizzcon and i guess you didn't they had a panel how it went 2 years ago until now it was a very cool panel because to where we are now Diablo 3 RoS is my most played game of 2014 ticking at 400 orso hours of endless fun and goddamn loot! LOOT! And killing a bunch of monsters in 1 blow feels so damn satisfying every single time.
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY

THIS POST

IS GLORIOUS

J-Rzez

We much have played different expansions. Its not just a large new act with new enemies and boss battles and events, the very fundamentals of the game itself have been overhauled, and it managed to completely reverse a massive tide of negativity the game had earned in the meanwhile. Its not just 'more', which many expansions and so-called expansions are these days - it also made all of the existing content far more replayable and scalable and challenging and rewarding.

That's part of the knock, paying for a "fixed" version of the game, something that should have been done for free and sooner. There's no real argument to that to be honest. The game isn't a FS anymore, sure, but I shouldn't have had to pay for them to fix it. There's a difference between logical changes/improvements and absolutely necessary game-breaking fixes. These were fixes needed for the game that should have been patched in much-much sooner.

The other issue I had was light SP content, not enough story. More importantly, not enough new loot. Blizzard is the king of recycling content and they did just that with the majority of the loot by increasing it's level, which is lame. They added in a sprinkle of "Season items" then later but still not enough stuff, which is why loot games exist.

That's just IMHO though. I want a variety of loot in my loot games, that's all.

Raxus

Brandon jones is a huge hearthstone fanboy.

Also if you watch game time they all have a huge bias to certain games.

You know if multiple people share the same 'bias' and that doesn't match the opinion you may be the one who is biased.

UrbanRats

Heh, not sure what you mean by that as I haven't really seen what they're doing. When things make sense, it's no surprise that more than one of us will think of them.

I think he refers to the personal lists thing? I'm not sure.

Regardless, you guys should consider, for next year, making the deliberations "public" and on video.
To me it's the most interesting part about the GOTY Giant Bomb event every year, exactly because you get to hear the various arguments, reasonings and debates.

I don't care much for a list at the end of the day, i care to see the personalities of GT talk and debate about video games, getting to know them better because of it, which is why GTtime, JustPlayed and such are so interesting.

Basically, cutting out the debate, is cutting out the most interesting part.

hemtae

Shadowrun: Dragonfall didn't win best expansion? Well next time GAF links to you, I won't click on it. Take that Gametrailers

MormaPope

Banned
GOTY threads instantly give me headaches at this point, yes guys, a free to play card battling game is legitimately good, WE ALL KNOW HOW HARD OF A PILL THAT IS TO SWALLOW. OHTHEAGONY.

Nokterian

That's part of the knock, paying for a "fixed" version of the game, something that should have been done for free and sooner. There's no real argument to that to be honest. The game isn't a FS anymore, sure, but I shouldn't have had to pay for them to fix it. There's a difference between logical changes/improvements and absolutely necessary game-breaking fixes. These were fixes needed for the game that should have been patched in much-much sooner.

The other issue I had was light SP content, not enough story. More importantly, not enough new loot. Blizzard is the king of recycling content and they did just that with the majority of the loot by increasing it's level, which is lame. They added in a sprinkle of "Season items" then later but still not enough stuff, which is why loot games exist.

That's just IMHO though. I want a variety of loot in my loot games, that's all.

There is more variety then vanilla. Not enough loot no Destiny doesn't have enough loot. In RoS it is raining loot. And the reason people bought RoS because Adventure mode you play the acts to unlock it and that's it i never went back i never want to go back because 1 time is more then enough.

You didn't read my post on how the game has changed? And season items are items only for that season after the season is over it will go in to the loot table of the existing game.

Vanilla Diablo 3 was the worst you wanted a legendary? Well good luck maby the AH could provide it but a drop? Fuck that my first even loot drop was a weapon that my class even couldn't use that was my only and first legendary and i played nearly a year that system was broken. The stats where weird nothing added up to what supposed to be loot based. With loot 2.0 they removed all of that stuff and RNG gives you what your class needs. There is more variety in RoS and king of recycling lol.

"Which is better? Freedom or Focus?"

I think the pick for best racing game of the year is going to come down to this very same question, and if their answer here is anything to go by, it'll be easy to call. That a good thing too, as this is a natural tension across gaming with no singular correct answer.

"Which is better? Freedom or Focus?"

I think the pick for best racing game of the year is going to come down to this very same question, and if their answer here is anything to go by, it'll be easy to call. That a good thing too, as this is a natural tension across gaming with no singular correct answer.

No official racing award this year, but you can just watch my Personal Picks video when it comes out to find out what it would have been.

manfestival

while im a little surprised that hearthstone won. It is a truly deserving title. I love playing the MTG console games but the set up for hearthstone is so good.

Vlade

Hearthstone was a terrible choice.

I love that smash got fighter tho. maybe they are just going for the unexpected choices?

Project Spark came out? Huh.

I remember it looking mighty impressive at E3 2013 but I don't remember anyone mentioning it again until now.

Top Bottom