• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

yeah, city fly over is real time obviously...cut scenes I dont think so...I mean the gameplay model for the character is really good, but those look really good...if they are real time, this engine has massive scope, other developers need to pick it up

peace

mckmas8808

Banned
JB1981 said:
Holy production values!

I never thought this game was going to be this epic.

I still can't imagine what God of War 3 is going to be like. :lol

PS3's a beast.

Btw, i wonder how big this game is going to be. 18gb or something?

Wasn't Resistence 15 GBs? If so I'm guessing this game maybe 20 GBs.

spwolf

JB1981 said:
Holy production values!

I never thought this game was going to be this epic.

I still can't imagine what God of War 3 is going to be like. :lol

PS3's a beast.

Btw, i wonder how big this game is going to be. 18gb or something?

i wonder if they will make an movie out of it :).... they are spending tons for this game.

Ceb

The thing that makes me want to say "BELIEVE" on the real-time nature of the cutscenes is that... would there really be space left over for them? It seems to be a story-heavy game, moreso than Resistance for example, and the cutscenes in that game still took up a good amount of space, no?

Maybe if they're really shipping on a 50GB disc. That seems warraned enough as it is, humongous levels and 7.1 orchestral soundtrack and all.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:

My gawd that is AWESOME, eh.
Indifferent2.gif

Mmmkay

Ceb said:
The thing that makes me want to say "BELIEVE" on the real-time nature of the cutscenes is that... would there really be space left over for them? It seems to be a story-heavy game, moreso than Resistance for example, and the cutscenes in that game still took up a good amount of space, no?

Maybe if they're really shipping on a 50GB disc. That seems warraned enough as it is, humongous levels and 7.1 orchestral soundtrack and all.
The other thing is that there's a huge LOD error in that waterfall clip. Something that if you had the freedom to render in-engine but offline, you could and would easily correct.
8231lair-lod.gif

Someone's getting fired or that engine has bitchin capabilities. I just hope their controlled environment cutscene talents are something which will be reflected in an optimised gameplay engine.

Tieno

I have yet to hear this but I hope they make your dragon unique and you develop some form of bond with him.
Music sounds top-notch.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ploid 3.0 said:
If it's past 7gigs the devs are totally lazy and I don't think I can support them by buying this game. :p
I know, or atleast i think you are joking.
But for the "zomg 9gigs is more than enough" crowd
LAIR is 7.1 uncompressed PCM, along with all that nice music, thats quite sizeable.

Ploid 3.0

Yea i'm joking about how people say blu ray isn't worth it. It's for lazy devs and such (they say). And don't dvd9 have like 7gigs of space to be used by games or something other than 9gigs?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea i'm joking about how people say blu ray isn't worth it. It's for lazy devs and such (they say). And don't dvd9 have like 7gigs of space to be used by games or something other than 9gigs?
its something like 8.5 or something. I dont imagine its different for games on dvds.

Mrbob

X360 has 7GB usable space.

I'm starting to berieve in Blu Ray for hi def games. Especially for games which need to stream large worlds.

nib95

Banned
Jigsaw said:
better version(hope 4mb are still ok x)

cellowned.gif

Just watched dev vid 3 and the sound one.
Amazing stuff. The sound score so far sounds exquisite. I knew it'd be good when I heard they were using the same guy who did Passion of the Christ and other movies. And even more so when one of the 1UP team said it was the best sound score they'd ever heard in a game. Another thing, LAIR is pulling a God of War on us. If the first few levels are this epic, I wonder what the rest of the game will be like? The mind boggles...
Some of the gameplay elements still need work, like the melee combat and ground combat. But considering how much this game has already improved, I can't wait to see what the end product is.
It's certainly the biggest scale and scope of detail I've ever seen in a game.

Also, the game has some fantastic lighting and particle effects.
Love the sprinkle like fire cracker bombs and explosions. The lightning effects are good too.

Mrbob said:

I'm starting to berieve in Blu Ray for hi def games. Especially for games which need to stream large worlds.

If a level's like over 4GBs, you are really looking at one level per DVD, that would be OK.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I assume the 'Music of Lair' vid is probably something we're going to see in HD on PSN soon, since it's clearly an SCEA promotional vid (same narrator they always use)

ThirdEye

Mrbob said:

It's a pity GTA4 has no plane. Morons at Rockstar should use the Lair engine.

kaching said:
I assume the 'Music of Lair' vid is probably something we're going to see in HD on PSN soon, since it's clearly an SCEA promotional vid (same narrator they always use)

Hopefully. I want to see this vid in true 720p.

JB1981

Gamespot has very good quality HD vids of some of the older Lair footage, and the textures look a lot crisper. The game in general just looks a lot better. Even Gametrailers' 'HD' videos aren't true HD.
I can't wait to see that waterfall and palace area in the right resolution.

It looks very cool, and I definitely see the Roge Squadron influence.

I still think it would be cooler if the dragon could land and then walk around and fight and stuff. Is that in the game?

underfooter said:
It looks very cool, and I definitely see the Roge Squadron influence.

I still think it would be cooler if the dragon could land and then walk around and fight and stuff. Is that in the game?

Yes that's one of the things they like to talk about alot, that hte engine allows you to go from air to land quickly without any delay.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Best lightning effects + best water effects EVER.

Lair was toatlly off my radar even a month ago. Now it's a must buy because of it's sheer scale and beauty.

Insertia

****. Just finished the 3rd dev walkthrough. I'm getting a PS3 for this game which in turn forces me to get a 1080p TV.

**** you Sony.

Let the pagans come! We'll make sky rain with their blood!

Most epic line I heard in a video game ever, the effect is trippled because of the "300" movie.

Can I request something of gif masters up here? Could you guys please make me an avatar of the main character spitting that line? My PC is really slow (it shouldn't be, but I messed something up), so I can't really do it myself.

Also, to show how impressive this game really is, could you guys also make gifs of the beginning of dev walkthrough pt. 1, when main character is still on foot, and the part where they show the amazing textutes on the terrace? I think even clear screengrabs would be sufficient. It shows that up close Lair looks just as good as GeoW, Mass Effect, HS, Too Human.

Progressive mesh is a truly amazing technique.

Just finished the 3rd dev movie.... wow

The more i see of this game the more excited i am. Its looking great, and the gameplay has me intrigued. I've always been a bit hesitant of F5's new game because i didn't enjoy the Rogue Squadron games all that much

This game is clearly on my map now, and right now (unless reviews are horrid) i'll be buying it day one.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Saw the 3rd video......WOW!!

EDIT: Don't think I didn't notice those B&W nautilus N801 speakers in the background of the "Music of Lair" video at Abbey Road:D

teiresias

I don't see why the cut-scenes (the ones with close ups of people talking) can't be real-time. At the very least they're in-engine, but rendered out as movie files to prevent loading issues when they need to be played - the same way Resistance does their cut-scenes.

If they were going to go all out and make prerendered cutscenes that look far better than the in-game graphics than you'd think they'd have rendered fire effects for the cutscenes better than the ones in the game. The opening cut-scene where they burn the bodies on the pires has the same relatively lackluster fire effect as is seen elsewhere in the footage. Factor 5 has to know that the fire effects aren't up to par, I can't believe no one in the press asked them about it and whether it was still be worked on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jigsaw's gif is incredible.

If this game is nothing else, it is going to be a ridiculous technology demonstration and a musical orgasm. Factor 5 is going to be employed by tech whores for years to come. :lol

teiresias said:
I don't see why the cut-scenes (the ones with close ups of people talking) can't be real-time. At the very least they're in-engine, but rendered out as movie files to prevent loading issues when they need to be played - the same way Resistance does their cut-scenes.

If they were going to go all out and make prerendered cutscenes that look far better than the in-game graphics than you'd think they'd have rendered fire effects for the cutscenes better than the ones in the game. The opening cut-scene where they burn the bodies on the pires has the same relatively lackluster fire effect as is seen elsewhere in the footage. Factor 5 has to know that the fire effects aren't up to par, I can't believe no one in the press asked them about it and whether it was still be worked on.

i have a feeling they're cutscenes using the game engine. but these days people are overly jaded(especially if its a good looking PS3 game).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They still need to fix the transitional issues and just delete those grass planes in the other levels:)

Can't wait to see a really high res footage cause it is still difficult to make out.

JB1981

Core407 said:
It's not a direct feed so using it to gauge the quality is stupid.
I'm talking about the quality of the trailer, Core. If you had read the thread you'd know that I think the game looks incredible.

I recently read the long article about the music of Lair, so I wasn't surprised by it, but boy I can't wait to get the 7.1 cranked up. (Though to be honest, when I do get my new 7.1 HDMI-capable reciever, most likely it'll be Resistance getting the first play)

The rest of the vids left me stunned. Wow. This game is totally cemented in my Top Ten Most Anticipated Games list.

Glad I have a PS3 for epic games like this.

:)

Top Bottom