• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

luffeN

Just played for half an hour approx. (including cutscenes) and I still have more than 4600km to go. For the current stage it says that I am at 13:50.97.

bynysw0s7imecbh0f.jpg

Edit: Okey, one screen later Stage 1 was complete. So it took me nearly 14 minutes for the first stage then.

Edit2: There are 10 stages in total.

Kyoufu said:
Someone will defend this.

the positive spin in the video review is "2 hours of original point to point racing," which isn't that bad.

it's a modern Cruis'n game! EA Should put it in arcades and pizza hut.

TheOddOne

Kinyou said:
I bet I can finish Super Mario Bros. in less than two hours ;)
Fair, but the first time you played it took you a while. It was so good, that you played it couple of times again.

VIDYA GAMES ;)

Xater

Meisadragon said:
Well they couldn't have given it an 8.4/10 just based on the SP, right? I don't want to watch that review, but what other things does this game have?

Some challenges where you can earn different medals and an MP mode where you can apparently fill all kinds of bars. Mp didn't look like it is anything special either, especially after what criterion did before. Even more emberassing if you think about Blackbox spending 3 years on this game.

LiK

nickcv said:
ok i'm not into car games: what's the SP lenght average for the genre?
If you mean with a story from the franchise. Most Wanted and Underground SP were way longer.

EXGN

Why are we back to value = length? I bet you could beat Mario in 10-whatever minutes, I would still pay $60 for that game.

ElFly

Dibbz said:
Since when do we gauge how good a racing game is on how long the single player takes to beat?

It should happen whenever a racing game doesn't have local split screen multiplayer.

Which I am not sure this game has. The review didn't mention it I think, and I cannot find a straight answer anywhere.

It's a racing game with QTE, unskippable cutscenes, punishes you for trying new cars, and a plot, and 2 hours of unique race tracks.

It's essentially for people who don't like racing.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I don't mind a racing game that is two hours with no repeating tracks and lotsa set pieces along the way (assuming this is true for NFS), but non-skippable cutscenes and QTEs make it sound very unappealing.

Also, lol at buying this at 60. Even if it was the best in the series it would still be down to 30 in three weeks tops.

Dibbz

I suppose it is a bit dumb to have such a short amount of events when the game is single player heavy. Autolog will only take you so far.

mclem

Decarb said:
Remember this is the only game where you can drive a Porsche, not GT or Forza.

It's a good job you can't drive Porsches in the other games, because it'd be a bit unfair given that it's a car that apparently travels at 1500 MPH.

ElFly

I have to applaud black box for creating the fastest racing game ever.

Considering they go from coast to coast through america, in two hours, those cars must go around 2000 kph, or 1000 mph (roughly rounded)

Derrick01

Banned
It would get a lower score but they don't want to piss off the all mighty EA. They probably still want ME3 review copies after all.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Xater said:
Some challenges where you can earn different medals and an MP mode where you can apparently fill all kinds of bars. Mp didn't look like it is anything special either, especially after what criterion did before. Even more emberassing if you think about Blackbox spending 3 years on this game.
Hmm, interesting. Guess I'll watch that review.

Xun

It's not a circuit-racer so that's why I'm quite impressed there is 2 hours worth of road.

That must've taken a fair amount of work.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If the progression of the game is based on winning each racing each race one time then I guess it's not that crazy that the whole game provides two hours of content, not counting replaying races. Racing games with much longer single player modes have you run the same tracks over and over again.

scitek

EXGN said:
Why are we back to value = length? I bet you could beat Mario in 10-whatever minutes, I would still pay $60 for that game.

No, but according to the review, you can't skip cutscenes, QTEs, or replay individual tracks to post new times. You have to wade through it all again. Deal-breaker for me.

Jamesways

So glad EA canned Slightly Mad Studios immediately after the release of Shift 2 to focus on Black Box releases like this. *eyeroll*

Well, actually, I take back my sarcam. I AM glad. Now SMS can do their thing with C.A.R.S. and focus on a true sim with NO EA influence of crappiness.

Well, at least there's the multiplayer/autolog thing to keep people playing after the short SP.

-BLITZ-

What in the world .. ? Okay, I will add another hour of gameplay in case if you mess a race or something, but only two hours for a pro gamer as the game request a super computer with DX10, DX11 no DX9, 15GB space + the extra space for the game; of course(25,30GB ?) and game $ cost. So is kind of a ProStreet demo, you know; buy a game just for the look.

No thanks. Back for the old NFS stuff. Thank you GT for the info.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Desi said:
sensationalist title is sensationalist.
The title seems more like a warning after the mods cleaned it up. The weird story oriented format could hurt the replay value as well. It just doesn't sound like it's as pick up and play as other racers, which could put off people that play courses for mastery. So the game's longevity may come down to the multi.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If the progression of the game is based on winning each racing each race one time then I guess it's not that crazy that the whole game provides two hours of content, not counting replaying races. Racing games with much longer single player modes have you run the same tracks over and over again.
Not really. A reverse track should and does matter if it's properly designed, as does variating car types on the same circuit. Frankly, it sounds like a missed opportunity in the single player.

I wonder if the entire race is reversible: going back from NY to SF? The track itself should yield a completely different race experience (of course, all the cutscenes and story would fuck up whatever sense of tied in progression that existed).

Cruzader

Banned
Did you guys see the Trophy list? One states to beat single player mode in 30 minutes for gold trophy! It's appropriately called "Da Speed Run". Lol

jk

Orayn

There are a lot of cool things you could do by mixing racing action-adventure with racing, but it sounds like EA Black Box really dropped the ball on this one.

Oh well. It'll make a nice $10-15 Steam sale at some point in the (very near) future.

DasRaven

MrDanger88 said:
Because when I play a racing game I look forward to playing single player

Even if not, you can almost buy Forza 4 AND GT5 for the price of NFS: The Runs. Certainly on BF deals you can.

Decarb said:
Remember this is the only game where you can drive a Porsche, not GT or Forza.

You could play with more Porsches, for more time, for less money with Forza 3.

Tizoc

Come on guys; games back in the 8 and 16-bit era could be beaten in 2 hours or less.
...but yeah this is a rental at best, unless you have others to play it with

Really curious how this plays out. Can't think of any AAA campaign this short. I do wonder if this means all the 'fluff' that is oh so apparent even in the shortest games these days (Pretty much every shooter these days gives the 'this room has a bit more dudes than you'd imagine') are trimmed.

I do wonder how this feels.

El-Suave

The review didn't even say the game felt too short - I think GAF is blowing this out of proportion a little bit, but it comes down to Gametrailers and their concept of reviewing a game's value primarily in hours spent on it.

When I heard about this game, I was wondering about that. It didn't seem like there was any way to make the premise last for very long but damn that's short if true.

Total shock that this game is getting brutalized on this board!

It looks like fun and, if folks would actually watch the review, it has plenty of unlockable stages that look like the very types of scenarios in NFSHP's map. The fact that this has a movie inspired campaign tying them together seems like a unique idea. Due to folks jumping to conclusions, this might actually be what sinks this game. smh

luffeN

BobTheFork said:
When I heard about this game, I was wondering about that. It didn't seem like there was any way to make the premise last for very long but damn that's short if true.
It will probably get more playtime when you consider the challenge series, but I haven't played it yet. After you pass each stage it unlocks one for the stage. Maybe that's where some hours will be added to the total playtime because you are trying to beat the records your friends.

Top Bottom