• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers' "The Castlevania Retrospective"

Grzi

Well, this thread got turned into "name your favourite CV game" rather quickly.

Mine are SOTN in the Metroidvania department, and Rondo out of the Actionvanias, SOTN also being one of my favourite games ever.

I had to do it :(

Manus

I for one really enjoyed Castlevania 64. Maybe because I was just 9 years old when I played it. Though I do know that the jumping in the game was horrible at times.

Maxrpg said:
Castlevania has never been historically about sales, which you would know by watching these videos :lol
Oh, it has. Why do you think every game after Symphony was like Symphony? Because it was the best selling Castlevania game yet.

I'm just saying that if LoS craters, that's going to be the end of it. It's an obviously high-budget project and if it pulls a Bionic Commando 09 on the charts, we'll be back to twiddling our thumbs waiting for the latest IGA reiteration before you can say "reused medusa head sprite".

DaFish

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, it has. Why do you think every game after Symphony was like Symphony? Because it was the best selling Castlevania game yet.

I'm just saying that if LoS craters, that's going to be the end of it. It's an obviously high-budget project and if it pulls a Bionic Commando 09 on the charts, we'll be back to twiddling our thumbs waiting for the latest IGA reiteration before you can say "reused medusa head sprite".
Castlevania or not, this game is boss and people should be playing/buying this game...

Maxrpg said:
Castlevania has never been historically about sales, which you would know by watching these videos :lol
Going by that then who decides which is the successor what the series is? I feel that as a CV fan LoS doesn't appeal to the the original fanbase but is attracting a new audience but it's origins aren't really there. Aside from the names and the official stamp speaking with quality of the game aside it falls pretty far from the tree.

DaFish said:
Castlevania or not, this game is boss and people should be playing/buying this game...
Agreed, but only because I want to see what these guys can do with a sequel. Lords of Shadow has a lot of issues, but it's the kind of game where you can see a AAA outstanding title sitting between the cracks. I want to see them Mega Man 2 this bitch.

Ashodin

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm not so sure, because Konami =/= Capcom, so they could continue along this path because of how well it's been received critically.

jjasper

SquirrelNuckle said:
I for one really enjoyed Castlevania 64. Maybe because I was just 9 years old when I played it. Though I do know that the jumping in the game was horrible at times.

Yeah I actually enjoyed it too. It had some problems but I had fun with it (of course I have liked all the 3D versions in some way).

anotheriori said:
Going by that then who decides which is the successor what the series is? I feel that as a CV fan LoS doesn't appeal to the the original fanbase but is attracting a new audience but it's origins aren't really there. Aside from the names and the official stamp speaking with quality of the game aside it falls pretty far from the tree.

If anything they are going back to the "original" fanbase. Essentially trying to make the old NES/SNES games 3D instead of continually trying to make the SOTN variety 3D.

SOTN fell pretty far from the tree too since it was more of a radical change than this game could ever be (not counting the story changes).

DaFish

anotheriori said:
right on, but this not being "Castlevania enough" shouldn't make people should not buy it.

In all honesty I could care less if the title of this game was Castlevania or not.

Ashodin

I'd say that this Castlevania appeals way more to original NES fans (with the Stage structure), than the N64/PS2 3d fans (With the whipping not too dissimilar from Lament), and the Metroidvania fans (with at least rudimentary backtracking).

Add on top of that it builds itself while becoming what it was always supposed to be (a god-of-war style game in 3d), unfortunately it has come out after all these games have stolen the thunder, so comparisons are inevitable.

I never really played god-of-war much, but I did play Dante's Inferno, so I can "detach" the feeling of being derivative than most other people. However, I really get the feeling of DMC's combat's influence.

But that's not a bad thing.

EDIT:

jjasper said:
If anything they are going back to the "original" fanbase. Essentially trying to make the old NES/SNES games 3D instead of continually trying to make the SOTN variety 3D.

SOTN fell pretty far from the tree too since it was more of a radical change than this game could ever be (not counting the story changes).

You know what's up. :D

Maxrpg said:
I'd say that this Castlevania appeals way more to original NES fans

I won't speak for everyone but this applies to me at least.

jjasper said:

Glad someone had the balls.

Maxrpg said:
I'm not so sure, because Konami =/= Capcom, so they could continue along this path because of how well it's been received critically.
Well, I guess that's why I'm playing Contra 5 by WayForward right now!

I think if it were a complete critical darling (it's not, its average is only a few percent higher than Lament of Innocence) and it sold so-so, we'd be able to assume the sequel. If it sells really badly, it's not going to matter how much the critics like it, I'm afraid.

Speaking of Castlevania....I was unpacking boxes from having recently moved and I found my ancient copy of the Worlds of Power book, "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest." Anyone else remember reading this books and thinking they were rad as all get out? Just observe this quality writing:

The Ghostly Eyeball

Tim started to climb the winding steps.
But before he could get very far, there was a sudden rumbling sound from deep in the earth. The floor shook. A crack opened in the rock, and something emerged that made Tim want to run home and hide under his bed.
It was an eyeball.
A flying eyeball!
Unlike other eyeballs, however, this one was gigantic, with a huge mouth filled with nasty sharp teeth - as well as two arms covered with claws!
"I see you!" said the eyeball.

Yes, this is verbatim.

Yuripaw

Banned
I was excited for another Retrospective feature when I saw part 1 go up, but after watching Part 2 I feel the production is a bit lacking on this one. The research is not as extensive or informative as previous Retrospectives have been. They kinda skim over the titles too fast.

piratepwnsninja said:
Speaking of Castlevania....I was unpacking boxes from having recently moved and I found my ancient copy of the Worlds of Power book, "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest." Anyone else remember reading this books and thinking they were rad as all get out? Just observe this quality writing:

The Ghostly Eyeball

Tim started to climb the winding steps.
But before he could get very far, there was a sudden rumbling sound from deep in the earth. The floor shook. A crack opened in the rock, and something emerged that made Tim want to run home and hide under his bed.
It was an eyeball.
A flying eyeball!
Unlike other eyeballs, however, this one was gigantic, with a huge mouth filled with nasty sharp teeth - as well as two arms covered with claws!
"I see you!" said the eyeball.

Yes, this is verbatim.

Tim?!

I had (still have) the Bionic Commando book, but it had the actual guys from the game, whats-his-face and Super Joe. It was pretty badass. It was hilarious reading the harrowing descriptions of the dude swinging across rooms full of floating platforms and spikes to pick up an item in the corner of a room. Just like the game.

Cynar

jjasper said:
Yeah I actually enjoyed it too. It had some problems but I had fun with it (of course I have liked all the 3D versions in some way).

Sort of a spoiler so I hid it
Til the end anyway

Clott

I missed out on all the games except the PS2 one, which I found to be a chore to play with its repeating room after room. I now have a PSP so I think I will get Dracula X chronicles to see whats it all about.

But what caught my attention the most with these retrospectives was the music! what freaking awesome music!

Do they have a collection of the best songs anywhere?

Clott said:
I missed out on all the games except the PS2 one, which I found to be a chore to play with its repeating room after room. I now have a PSP so I think I will get Dracula X chronicles to see whats it all about.

But what caught my attention the most with these retrospectives was the music! what freaking awesome music!

Do they have a collection of the best songs anywhere?

There's a collection that came with Portrait of Ruin for DS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/slasman#grid/user/1073468B509ADDB0

The CD here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PFX38/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Castlevania+20th+

Since I was playing a ton of CV:HD I made a custom soundtrack.. other cool stuff:
CV:HD tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5F3FE5E3F01A647A
OCRemixes:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EA5809AD3FF44BDE

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait, this video actually make the 3D Castlevanias sound decent.

I only had a minor experience with One of the Nintendo 64's Castlevanias, but most of my hate towards the 3D iterations of the game come from reading how people through they were horrible.

They didn't highlight any of the major problems people always complain about. Weird.

The PS2 games were not really bad. Just underwhelming in terms of variety and content compared to the 2d games. There was a lack of platforming, lack of variety in locations, less enemy types, less bosses etc. I enjoyed the PS2 games for what they were. They were solid games at best.

nincompoop said:
So the next video is going to cover all 9 handheldvanias? That's way too many for one video.
2 minutes each should be sufficient. Part 2 was about 18 minutes afterall.

Even better if they completely exclude PoR.

Boney

Banned
nincompoop said:
So the next video is going to cover all 9 handheldvanias? That's way too many for one video.
Yeah was thinking the same thing...

PoR is better than HoD and DoS though..

LiK

Brandon was surprisingly nice towards the N64 games. I guess he didn't hate them. Guess now I know where Cornell came from. I had no clue there were TWO PS2 titles. Whoops.

nincompoop said:
Why would they exclude the best game in the series? PS play it on a GBA SP.
respectfully disagree sir, HoD and AoS are much better outings. and yes, the SP basically makes the game 100% better, but by that point i had struggled with it so much and forgot about ever playing it again.

Rabbitwork said:
or CotM.

"shit was dark."

I always found it hilarious how CotM was made without any consideration of the original GBAs lack of back/front lighting. Then Harmony of Dissonance comes out and it is all bright and neon. Juste has a bright blue outline ffs :lol Maxim had a bright red one and it was only Simon that wasn't glowing :(

Rabbitwork said:
respectfully disagree sir, HoD and AoS are much better outings. and yes, the SP basically makes the game 100% better, but by that point i had struggled with it so much and forgot about ever playing it again.
Too bad, I also dismissed it at first when playing it on the original GBA but when I played it a few years later on the SP I was really able to appreciate how much better its design was than every game Iga ever made combined.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Circle of the Moon is seriously under appreciated. What an awesome game.

I put Circle in the middle of the GBA pack. HoD is just so bland. It was a game made without any good ideas aside from "copy SotN". Aria of Sorrow, I think, is the best game IGA made (I don't give him credit for Symphony because he really doesn't deserve it :p). The soul system was good, the story was interesting, graphics and music were excellent. It really felt like its own thing.

Circle is good but it has serious balance issues. Considering it was an up-ported GBC game, it is pretty remarkable, though. It's challenging, which is nice for a Metroidvania. I had to play the damn game directly under a lamp the whole time, but it was definitely worth it. Harmony was so blah I thought I was sick of the whole Metroidvania concept. It was kind of the Ace Attorney 2 of Metroidvanias.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I put Circle in the middle of the GBA pack. HoD is just so bland. It was a game made without any good ideas aside from "copy SotN". Aria of Sorrow, I think, is the best game IGA made (I don't give him credit for Symphony because he really doesn't deserve it :p). The soul system was good, the story was interesting, graphics and music were excellent. It really felt like its own thing.

Circle is good but it has serious balance issues. Considering it was an up-ported GBC game, it is pretty remarkable, though. It's challenging, which is nice for a Metroidvania. I had to play the damn game directly under a lamp the whole time, but it was definitely worth it. Harmony was so blah I thought I was sick of the whole Metroidvania concept. It was kind of the Ace Attorney 2 of Metroidvanias.

Agree 100%

But I do think CotM has some nice ideas that other Metroidvania ignored in favor of matching SotN gameplay.

Segata Sanshiro said:

This is pretty much my opinion of the GBA games. I remember getting Circle at launch and just playing for hours at a time, it's really a great game. Definitely had to have a good light source to see anything though. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aria is fantastic. I really should play through that again...

Top Bottom