• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

its not an unfair comparison but its surely a stupid one. books and movies are passive forms of media. i've never had my heart racing reading a book like i have playing a video game. and its because the player (theres your first clue) actually has to drive the narrative as opposed to a director of a movie or an author. thats the entire point. one is interactive. the other is passive. its actually really fucking hard to create and build a believable world AND then put into it the story and have it set out in such a way that the player discovers it and has ownership of it. its why some games get criticised for being 'on rails' or just QTE movies. no, the story of TLOU isn't entirely ground breaking (though i'd argue its not as heavy handed as you guys are making it out to be). but in the context of the medium, i dont feel anything has come close to delivering an experience within an interactive world that is as compelling, well paced, or discoverable, as naughty dog has with TLOU.

and i haven't even touched on the multiplayer which has no right being as good as it is.

I have certainly read books that got my heart racing, because they were suspenseful, immersive and well written. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, just because it didn't happen to you yet.

And the only way you, as the player, drive the narrative in the game, is by guiding Joel through the well-made set pieces. There's no meaningful interaction, you have zero influence on the world and characters around you. To me, that's no different than turning the page in a book, which isn't a terrible thing.

I found The Last of Us as a whole enjoyable and you're right about the pacing. The story can be good for a game, but it's not ground breaking at all. It doesn't do anything new, doesn't touch upon any new themes, it doesn't do new interesting things with the zombie apocalypse. And it doesn't have to, by any means. Not a lot of stories can claim that they reinvented the wheel. But just because the story happens to be in a video game, it doesn't get to be elevated beyond any other story that's already out there.

Kill Your Babies would have been great if Huber and Ben were involved. Hope they do that some other time with a different list.

I was thinking the same, but it would be kinda hard to find a new, good list that turns the conversation in a bloodbath by the end. They basically already talked about some of the very best games.

UrbanRats

If you talk about pacing and Last of Us, you can't fail to mention the utter slowness of the whole first chapter of the game, up until you meet Henry, basically, it's a slog.

I think the story is definitely a "good for a videogame" scenario, but i particularly appreciated how the ending gave some credit to the player, not having to spell every little thing out, and it had good moments throughout, though over all it was a pretty mediocre tale about surviving in the post apocalypse, in more general terms, and didn't really bring anything particularly new to the table, that stuff like Road, Rover and many others aren't also doing.
And the gameplay lends some value here, but doesn't add an incredible amount to the narrative.
By comparison, a game with more involved, narrative shaping mechanics, could more clearly make that claim.

But yeah, ultimately i'd probably avoid putting it in a top 10 of all time, because of the stuff i've mentioned before.

tok9

Congrats Bloodworth, I hope you're enjoying your honeymoon and not on gaf!

A "mai wife" duel with Brandon will be great :)

Ah, that explains the three weeks off. For some reason, I figured it was for some secret preview event thing.

Regardless, congrats Blood.

RedAssedApe

Banned
for some reason i thought blood was already married (maybe just engaged for awhile?). congrats dude. enjoy the time off. better be a blood week when you come back.

Farisr,

A request. I've been told Hubers REmake and RE2 full playthroughs exit as highlights in the deep twitch archive but the twitch app I use doesn't go that far back. Would it be possible to pull them to YouTube? I've been told the RE3 stream is gone.

Also if they exist getting the goldeneye and evil within streams would be great. They mention those but never saw them

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.
You guys quickly became my favorite site since 1up disbanded. I hate to see it go....and so abruptly :(

Edit: please get the crew and do patreon!

Liamc723

I'm really sorry to hear that Ben, what you and the other members of GT created was really special.

I hope you all land on your feet and find new jobs really soon, because that's the least you deserve. I shall be following all of you in your next endeavours.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How is it even legal to fire people on such a short notice.

I hope you all find something new. Thanks for all those years!

Seconding the above comment. The GT crew was the first time I really cared about a group of personalities since the 1UP era, which I grew up in.

Thanks for all you did.

Vinc

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Please end up making a patreon. I'll DEFINITELY support it. Either way, I hope everyone lands on their feet and gets a job they're happy with.

Best gaming site and crew ever.

Umibozu

I don't know how to feel. The past two years have been a little rough for me and the gametrailers crew helped me get through it. The news is saddening but I don't want that to be the theme of my post.
The crew of GT were/are the greatest, you all will be missed, and hopefully you all move on to bigger and better things.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

This is terrible. Hope you guys get picked up quickly.

That is super messed up. Best of luck to you guys!

tok9

I'm really sorry to hear that Brad and Ben. I hope everyone is okay, I'm sure you guys will have no problem finding work. I'll definitely be keep following anyway! Good luck to all the GT staff.

I'm going to try and be there for the livestream.

As others have mentioned, please consider a Patreon or something.

Huber, Bosman and crew please join forces and do something like Kinda Funny. You guys are more talented and can make it happen. I have been working a lot more hours recently and will be willing do donate to a startup of some sort.

Kansoku

I... can't believe it. You guys are so great. I didn't go through 1UP era, so GT was my first group that I really cared about. You guys brought me a little more joy everyday and I'm really sad right now, to learn that this will go away. I hope you guys have success from here on out, you guys totally deserve it.

Thank you.

Sesha

Horrible news, Ben. Our thoughts are with you guys. Godspeed.

the_id

Oh man. I hope everyone will be treated fairly and justly by the parent company with all this happening suddenly.

EDIT: Part of me is hoping this is a horrible joke.

Top Bottom