• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

They all (or at least Jones, Bosman, Huber, and Bloodworth) just tweeted this!

CdPyy4gVAAALzzQ.jpg

Edit:
Brandon Jones
Kyle Bosman
Michael Huber
Daniel Bloodworth
Brad Ellis
Ben Moore
Ian Hinck

Who else?

Ah Man, that's great! Can't wait to see what the guys pull together! GT Time was wonderful, and I'd love to hear their banter again :D

That's not what i'm talking about.

I'm saying the the arrogant position he's holding over this thing, is the same type of attitude that made him insufferable on Invisible Walls (i'm hardly the only one to think so, too).
I know the monetization of the site was largely outside of his control, and complaining about AdBlock is fair enough to a point, but you also have to examine what the hell you're doing and how you can fix it beyond "if you don't like it go away!".
And not having terrible and invasive ads is a good place to start.
You have to work with the audience and find common ground, because there's enough content out there for people to move on and forget about you, if you keep being abrasive and boneheaded.
I agree that it is not very useful to attack ad block users, but if he has no influence over the ads, then there is little he can do about it, but does feel the impact of it. The guys making the content can't just 'not have terrible and invasive ads' since that is not what they do. As a user you can be annoyed by it, but there is little they can do about it sadly. Every editorial team I have ever spoken to also hates the ads on websites, but it's a necessary evil for sites like this.

UrbanRats

I agree that it is not very useful to attack ad block users, but if he has no influence over the ads, then there is little he can do about it, but does feel the impact of it. The guys making the content can't just 'not have terrible and invasive ads' since that is not what they do. As a user you can be annoyed by it, but there is little they can do about it sadly. Every editorial team I have ever spoken to also hates the ads on websites, but it's a necessary evil for sites like this.

Right, but in the context of pointing fingers (nature of that video) while explaining why GT fell, saying something like go away if you don't like (invasive) ads, shows the wrong sort of attitude.
The main problem there was people not being able to (or not being let) keep up with more modern ways of monetization that would've resonated better with the public than sketchy ads.
If your business model doesn't work, you adapt and try to find a solution or a middle ground, not tell potential customers to fuck off.
And yes, i know this was largely viacom's fault, but i'm talking about his attitude towards a problem.

Compare that with Brandon Jones' in the Kinda Funny interview.

But as someone who's followed Invisible Walls for years, as well as Bonus Round and various videos with Shane in it, that seems to just be his attitude, which i find very irritating, even when he makes some half decent points, he comes off as whiny and arrogant about it.

Yea malware has been spreading like crazy through legitimate website's ads. Some sites have gotten out of control with it. I was trying to read an article the other day on a site and legit couldn't because I was getting pop ads and redirects, and I was viewing it on an iPhone which I didn't think that stuff was happening on phones as well.

redirects are far worse on mobile devices

-shadow-

Listening to the GameFace video now, and man is it depressing how GT went down by the corporate people. The blog, GT Motion, Mobile website, the new platform and the way how they sort of gave the site to Defy. Man! :(

sora87

Listening to the GameFace video now, and man is it depressing how GT went down by the corporate people. The blog, GT Motion, Mobile website, the new platform and the way how they sort of gave the site to Defy. Man! :(

Well their destiny is in their own hands now, with help of fans like us probably.
GT closing might turn out to be the best thing for them.

Shang

The UneasyAlliance subreddit is working on a collab to make a comic out of the last Final Bosman script, if anyone's interested. There are still spots left!

I didn't watch GameTrailers much before I saw this thread (was more of a Giant Bomb guy), but I'm glad I did because of the Final Bosman.

On the nights I haven't been sleeping (which is sort of... every other night), I've been watching it on YouTube. The part where he's imitating a Japanese couple discussing sales numbers had me laughing hysterically. "Yeah, it's number seven. It sold forty-eight hundred copies." "Oh, that's great. That just warms my heart."

I'm eager for tomorrow's announcement.

Darturas

Neo Member
The context didn't really call for his response though. Regardless of his intentions, he was asking for money then and there to save the GT crew without confirmation of consent from said crew.

It can easily be taken both ways. Not hating on Shane, but it's not irrational to raise an eyebrow.

PaMGOkp.jpg

I'm glad not a single member of the GT crew went on to work with Shane at SIFTD. It's clear he needs them more then they need him. Very happy to see the strong start!

Top Bottom