• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Summary:

-GameTrailers was shut down on 2/8/15 due to Defy Media (parent company of GT) wanting to go in a different direction.
-Brandon Jones (fearless leader and one of the co-founders of GT) and the rest of the crew found out just hours before they had to shut down.
-Daniel Bloodworth was (still is) on his honeymoon when GT was shut down.
-GameTrailers did a final stream on Twitch and played GTA3, the first (and now last) game they ever published a video for back in 2002/2003.
-The team definitely wants to stay together (doing covert things behind the scenes as Ben Moore stated) but if other opportunities come their way, they will consider it and all other options fully.
-ALL of the team loves us and everyone for supporting them. :)

Updates as of 2/11/2016:

-Brandon Jones stated that “whatever happens next isn’t going to go down for a while as they need Bloodworth to come back from his honeymoon to go forward with the meeting” and he will stream at least a couple of times a week and hang out.

Misc:

Unofficial subreddit for GT - https://www.reddit.com/r/UneasyAlliance/

-Certain members of GAF have graciously downloaded a lot of GT’s content (reviews, shows, retrospectives, etc) from YouTube and the website itself (will post links when possible/digging through this thread).

Remember, as much as we want the team to stay together, what they want to do in the future is their choice! <3

Twitter accounts for the GT staff (thanks to caenix for doing this!):

Brandon Jones
Shane Satterfield
Geoff Keighley
Ryan Stevens
Jeremy Hoffman
Rohan Rivas
Marcus Beer
Michael Pachter
Daniel Bloodworth
Michael Damiani
Daniel Kayser
Justin Speer
Rich Brown
Miguel Lopez
Chris Nguyen
Rob Manuel
Marco Rosado
Megan Rugh
Rob Slusser
Jon Finger
Kyle Bosman
Michael Huber
Ben Moore
Ian Hinck
Elyse Willems
Brad Ellis
Matt Blair
Don Casanova
Max Song

Media (credit to everyone on GAF):

tddxQzY.png

0JlduBm.gif

untitled-1jxrct.gif

UoVyTp8.gif

BIWzO3r.png

dab0ne

Well the website still comes up. Anymore details than what is on his twitter account?

Edit: WOW! crazy if true.

zhixson

Weird, and I just watched their Firewatch review today too.

This is sudden, right? There were no hints or anything about imminent demise?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's terrible, I loved that site :(
Best of luck to everyone on the staff.

Betty

Banned
Surprising, I haven't been to the site for many years but it always seemed like something that would last.

FTF

WTF!?? Noooo, this sucks! Hope Huber and Kyle and everyone still does youtube videos and is around, etc. Man, what a bummer :(

Their amazing E3 2015 coverage will live on forever.

I just saw on twitter, holy fuck.

It felt like a couple of years ago they lost a lot of people.. Pach Attack and loads of other shows left. It has been awesome though.. And GTTV and the E3 stuff with Keighley was awesome. Sad times :(

Damn.. I am going to miss Brandons voice.... This really sucks.

I will never forget Huber and Bosmans reactions during the Playstation conference at E3 last year!

What the fuck. This came out of nowhere. They even did a meeting a few weeks back about what they would like to do for this year...

Edit: they're doing one last stream at 9PM EST/6PM PST, so maybe we can get some answers there.

Top Bottom