• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Unravel dev: Nintendo is very secretive about NX, Unravel port talk.

Thraktor

The second part strikes me as an odd sentiment since the leakiest developers are the biggest teams at Ubisoft, Activision, EA, and Take-Two.

We've been sitting around and having Assassin's Creed 2017, Titanfall 2, and Destiny 2 leak all over just in the past month.

Only a very small number of people in those teams would actually be working on the NX version (or even necessarily know that there's an NX version). And considering games like AC, COD, Destiny, etc, have hundreds of people working on each of them, it's actually surprising how few leaks we get. Hell, I don't think we have any idea what Rockstar's working on, and they have a staff of 900 people, most of whom must have been working on something for the two and a half years since GTAV released.

GulAtiCa

Nintendo needs to get more NX devkits out to indies. I'm curious myself on when I can hear more on it and when I can finally order one for me. The sooner they open up with devkit orders, the sooner games can come out for it.

RK128

http://gonintendo.com/stories/252636-ori-the-blind-forest-dev-tried-to-get-an-nx-dev-kit-heard-noth

Oh, another one. Maybe the best indie game of 2015 is also not big dog enough.

Unbelievable. Ori is one of the best games from 2015 (and I was seriously considering getting an X1 for this, Rare Replay and Killer Instinct last year) and Nintendo is just ignoring them for no good reason?

.....While a lot is pointing to the NX launching in 2016, I'm starting to think the console/handheld is launching in 2017.

They have enough Wii U and 3DS stuff to ride out the rest of 2016 and then they can launch the NX platforms in Early 2017 when more software is ready or something. Just such a shame hearing that great developers are not having the chance to work on NX due to Nintendo not sending out Dev-Kits.

The second part strikes me as an odd sentiment since the leakiest developers are the biggest teams at Ubisoft, Activision, EA, and Take-Two.

We've been sitting around and having Assassin's Creed 2017, Titanfall 2, and Destiny 2 leak all over just in the past month.
NX information is probably on a need to know basis, if you aren't working on the NX version of the game you might not even know it exists.
The problem with this is...

"Surprise, here's the NX, we think it's amazing!"

...followed by:

"Surprise, we have no software for it for the time being!"
Because being selective and making decisions with publishers on what games should be worked on before the announcement means no games.
NX SDKs and devkits are out there, we know this, Nintendo is just being secretive and selective for the time being and until the reveal indies are probably on the bottom of their list for multiple reasons.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

To be honest, he also says that Nintendo's not alone in that specific treatment.

And just to be clear, it's not just Nintendo, every hardware manufacturer is treating their devkits and their unreleased consoles like they're the second coming and are insanely secretive about it to a stupid degree in todays time. It's not even that the hardware isn't finished (duh), but you could at least give me the goddamn specs, so we'd know what to build shit for!

Only a very small number of people in those teams would actually be working on the NX version (or even necessarily know that there's an NX version). And considering games like AC, COD, Destiny, etc, have hundreds of people working on each of them, it's actually surprising how few leaks we get. Hell, I don't think we have any idea what Rockstar's working on, and they have a staff of 900 people, most have whom would have been working on something for the two and a half years since GTAV released.

You truly think Nintendo would be well-advised giving NX kits to Rockstar? Why would Rockstar care at this point about the NX? When was the last time Nintendo did anything for Nintendo machines? Yes, they could port GTAV and yes, that would be a good thing, but it's an old game by now that's already on every other system, so it probably wouldn't have that big of an impact. Nobody was excited about playing an old version of Batman on the WiiU, I doubt a GTAV port for NX would kick up much fuss.

Nintendo shouldn't just support the big studios that MOST LIKELY aren't going to be too hot on putting a lot of development resources into an unproven system with an installed base of 0. They should have a few people who're spotting out smaller studios that could theoretically have shipped something on NX at or near launch - And they shouldn't be as crazy secretive about it as they are. Yes, Nintendo is constantly and always being copied - for god reasons. But we live in a time where what really matters is good software, not another hardware gimmick.

Nintendo should be out there, trying to get at the very least timed-exclusives for their hardware and work hand-in-hand with developers of whatever size. We like a secret as much as the next guy, but if your entire studio is dependent on software and you're not getting the software if you keep everything close to your chest, then maybe, just maybe, running with the same old strategy that worked 15 years ago isn't the right strategy anymore?

MK_768

Unbelievable. Ori is one of the best games from 2015 (and I was seriously considering getting an X1 for this, Rare Replay and Killer Instinct last year) and Nintendo is just ignoring them for no good reason?

.....While a lot is pointing to the NX launching in 2016, I'm starting to think the console/handheld is launching in 2017.

They have enough Wii U and 3DS stuff to ride out the rest of 2016 and then they can launch the NX platforms in Early 2017 when more software is ready or something. Just such a shame hearing that great developers are not having the chance to work on NX due to Nintendo not sending out Dev-Kits.

Like what? Star Fox? Paper Mario? Zelda?

Also launching two platforms in Early '17? No.

The 3DS has "enough" but the Wii U is dead.

RK128

Like what? Star Fox? Paper Mario? Zelda?

Also launching two platforms in Early '17? No.

The 3DS has "enough" but the Wii U is dead.

The Wii U has a better line up of games compared to late-life GameCube and Wii.

GC:
-Mario Strikers
-Star Fox Assault
-Odama
-Chibi Robo
-Mario Baseball
-Zelda TP
-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
-Battalion Wars
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
-Donkey Konga 2
-Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
-Geist
-Mario Party 7

Wii:
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
-Very Late Localization's (Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower)

I mean......the Wii U has a lot compared to that.
-Star Fox
-Zelda U
-Zelda TP HD
-Pokken
-Mario & Sonic
-Paper Mario Wii U
-(Maybe?) Pikmin 4

They have a decent amount on the Wii U end of things and they could ride out one more year for the console if they have to.

fernoca

Only a very small number of people in those teams would actually be working on the NX version (or even necessarily know that there's an NX version). And considering games like AC, COD, Destiny, etc, have hundreds of people working on each of them, it's actually surprising how few leaks we get. Hell, I don't think we have any idea what Rockstar's working on, and they have a staff of 900 people, most of whom must have been working on something for the two and a half years since GTAV released.
Yep.
For the Wii U port of Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft had 2 people working on it. By the end, it had 15 and it took them a year because of a few struggles they had with specs.

In this case it eas just casual talk. Is not like he elwas called to NCL, sat down and told to pitch something or get out.

When it comes to indies, I guess that Nintendo would give priority to the likes of Shin'en or WayForward when it comes to early kits because of their relationship. Then just everyone once is revealed.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
One Indie Dev =/= All Indie Devs.
One vocal Indie Dev.

For all we know Nintendo could have already told 1/2 the industry to screw off until the system's formal announcement.

The point is that Nintendo wants the system to be a surprise and just handing out devkits and SDKs to anyone certainly isn't going to help that.
Yeah I get that sentiment but I think it's futile to bother trying.This is the age of the Internet and somebody is going to spill the beans sooner or later.At this point the only 4 major things anyone cares about is if the system has a normal controller?, if the system has a gimmick? The hardware specs of the system and what sort of firm factor the project has? ( Console or Handheld or both).

But it would be a nice surprise if something doesn't get leaked for once and actually surprise someone.

Ansatz

The problem with this is...

"Surprise, here's the NX, we think it's amazing!"

...followed by:

"Surprise, we have no software for it for the time being!"

It all depends on what NX is. They can prepare a steady stream of quality retail games based on 1st party teams and key 3rd party partners for the platform if everything is executed accordingly.

Obviously the main argument is to combine their entire output on 3DS and Wii U, and the cheaper/faster it is to make games for it the better (so no beast hardware). Secondly focus all efforts on one single coherent vision, that is, don't waste resources on a stray Wii Fit, Brain Age or Devil's Third to try and satisfy an imaginary audience.

They've also been actively trying to get games like Minecraft and Undertale to their system, because those games resonate with Nintendo's existing userbase. So it's not like they hate 3rd parties or anything.

What I'm wondering is why are so many people passionate about the well being of Nintendo? If they screw it up then let them.

Oddduck

GC:
-Mario Strikers
-Odama
-Chibi Robot
-Mario Baseball
-Zelda TP

Wii:

-Star Fox
-Zelda U
-Zelda TP HD
-Pokken
-Mario & Sonic
-Paper Mario Wii U
-(Maybe?) Pikmin 4

They have a decent amount on the Wii U end of things and they could ride out one more year for the console if they have to.

It might not be a first party game, but don't forget that GameCube received Resident Evil 4 in 2005.

RE4 was a much bigger deal in the gaming world than Pokken, Mario & Sonic, and Star Fox Zero.

Your list is also missing Star Fox Assault, and nobody knows if Star Fox Zero will be much better than Assault.

MK_768

GC:
-Mario Strikers
-Odama
-Chibi Robot
-Mario Baseball
-Zelda TP

Wii:

-Star Fox
-Zelda U
-Zelda TP HD
-Pokken
-Mario & Sonic
-Paper Mario Wii U
-(Maybe?) Pikmin 4

I stand slightly corrected lmfao.

I'm not sure about Pikmin 4. I feel like Nintendo would just delay the fuck out of it lol. I mean they did with Pikmin 3 if memory serves me right.

I still believe the Wii U is more in need of a successor than the 3DS because of sales combined with game lineup. However, I wouldn't be shocked if the handheld comes first. Maybe the handheld will come out in Japan and we get the console this year. Would fit well with the markets. My only issue is that I think that's a tough task for Nintendo.

Banned
Closing the other NX thread has spawned four different NX thread news. I like this. Floodgates are beginning to open.

Nintendo is always secretive to the point of frustration. A little transparency is ok. They treat all their products like their going to change the industry forever and don't want to be copied. I think that's a little arrogant of them no matter how much I love their games.

Instro

With regard to indies getting dev kits, I would think the issue is whether they've worked with the dev before or not, and if they can get some sort of exclusive arrangement. There appear to be some indie developers with access already, so I'm assuming there is some rhyme or reason to the process. I do think the game industry is overly secretive in general though.

RK128

It might not be a first party game, but don't forget that GameCube received Resident Evil 4 in 2005.

RE4 was a much bigger deal in the gaming world than Pokken, Mario & Sonic, and Star Fox Zero.

Your list is also missing Star Fox Assault, and nobody knows if Star Fox Zero will be much better than Assault.

Forgot about Star Fox Assault.....will edit my list now. Thank you for the heads up :).

Anth0ny

really not a good sign imo, especially if this thing is launching in november.

being secretive doesn't help anyone. at this point in 2013, PS4 was unveiled! they need to show this thing off ASAP.

If the NX is 100% compatible with PC software, Playstation 4, PS3, PS2, Wii U, NES, and 3DS, then indie developers don't need a dev kit because their games would already work on it!

MK_768

One vocal Indie Dev.

For all we know Nintendo could have already told 1/2 the industry to screw off until the system's formal announcement.

But that's my point, we don't know and jumping to conclusions on "one vocal indie dev" is just idiotic honestly. Wait and see.

I for one am not hopeful, but then again I dont care cause I have a PS4. My 3rd party thirst will be quenched either way.

I'll get the NX regardless for the 1st party games. However, I would like some new experiences from 3rd party devs as well. I enjoyed the Wii and some of the 3rd party games like Madden 07 or Elebits. I didn't need COD 4. I had a 360 for that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NX information is probably on a need to know basis, if you aren't working on the NX version of the game you might not even know it exists.
Even the basic physical structure of mega developers tends to make this idea impractical:

destiny4icsza.jpg

You truly think Nintendo would be well-advised giving NX kits to Rockstar? Why would Rockstar care at this point about the NX? When was the last time Nintendo did anything for Nintendo machines? Yes, they could port GTAV and yes, that would be a good thing, but it's an old game by now that's already on every other system, so it probably wouldn't have that big of an impact. Nobody was excited about playing an old version of Batman on the WiiU, I doubt a GTAV port for NX would kick up much fuss.

Nintendo shouldn't just support the big studios that MOST LIKELY aren't going to be too hot on putting a lot of development resources into an unproven system with an installed base of 0. They should have a few people who're spotting out smaller studios that could theoretically have shipped something on NX at or near launch - And they shouldn't be as crazy secretive about it as they are. Yes, Nintendo is constantly and always being copied - for god reasons. But we live in a time where what really matters is good software, not another hardware gimmick.

Nintendo should be out there, trying to get at the very least timed-exclusives for their hardware and work hand-in-hand with developers of whatever size. We like a secret as much as the next guy, but if your entire studio is dependent on software and you're not getting the software if you keep everything close to your chest, then maybe, just maybe, running with the same old strategy that worked 15 years ago isn't the right strategy anymore?

That's not what they said, they were using Rockstar as an example of a big studio without lots of leaks. Just because Nintendo isn't willing to hand devkits or SDKs to indie devs they've never even worked with before doesn't mean they aren't showing anyone. As said before, Nintendo has been in talks with 3rd parties for a while and devkits and SDKs are reportedly out there. Assuming there isn't some architectural weirdness like with the Wii U it shouldn't require very big teams to port to the system. The only people that would know the details about NX outside of Nintendo would be big wigs at 3rd party publishers, the small teams working on the NX versions of games and maybe a select few indies that Nintendo has a good relationship with like Shinen, Yacht Club and Way Forward.

Even the basic physical structure of mega developers tends to make this idea impractical:

It's not uncommon for different studios entirely to work on different versions of a game, and it's also far from uncommon for people at studios to not know half the stuff going on in the studio.

They really should hurry up and announce it if they don't want anything getting leaked.
I think April is the latest they'll wait since it's after their big March releases and a new fiscal year for them.

Oddduck

Forgot about Star Fox Assault.....will edit my list now. Thank you for the heads up :).

No problem.

Now that I'm looking at Wikipedia, there were a lot more Nintendo published GameCube games released in 2005.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Battalion Wars, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga 2, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Geist, Mario Party 7, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

If the NX is 100% compatible with PC software, Playstation 4, PS3, PS2, Wii U, NES, and 3DS, then indie developers don't need a dev kit because their games would already work on it!

Then that's exactly the information that should be given to developers. And it really doesn't work like that, you probably need a few months just to implement the platform-specific features the console will have - Even if the engine support is fucking flawless and everything is supported out of the box (which would be nothing short of a miracle), you'd need a few months just to do the very basics - and not knowing what the thing is 8 months before launch doesn't leave you any time to build something.

My guess would be that if we actually see any third party support, it's again just going to be ports. Anything else wouldn't really make sense, both from a business and a time-perspective. I'd be very surprised if Nintendo actually gets any third-party exclusives, which is exactly why I think they should've made smart deals with indies. It doesn't require a lot of effort, peeps like Oculus and Valve have been able to do it...

Oriel

This is an incredibly stupid and arrogant attitude to be taking. Nintendo needs to be getting as much developer interest in NX as possible or they're just going to end up with another WiiU disaster.

Pinky

Banned
Closing the other NX thread has spawned four different NX thread news. I like this. Floodgates are beginning to open.

Nintendo is always secretive to the point of frustration. A little transparency is ok. They treat all their products like their going to change the industry forever and don't want to be copied. I think that's a little arrogant of them no matter how much I love their games.

I agree. The thirst is real and, as the days go by, it's gonna get worse. I really hope Nintendo has some kind of event for NX before E3, but there's no telling what they are up to. I love Nintendo, but the secrecy surrounding NX is starting to get frustrating. If they want to release this year, they have to talk soon. Hopefully, we'll get something in April.

MK_768

They really should hurry up and announce it if they don't want anything getting leaked.
I think April is the latest they'll wait since it's after their big March releases and a new fiscal year for them.

I'm not a fan of waiting till the new fiscal year. I'd understand it if they had an entire rollout plan, which I assume they do, but I still think it's a little foolish. However, I can't say why. It's just my gut but that's probably because I just want to know what the NX is lol.

I'm slightly tired of all the speculation.

RK128

No problem.

Now that I'm looking at Wikipedia, there were a lot more Nintendo published GameCube games released in 2005.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Battalion Wars, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga 2, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Geist, Mario Party 7, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

Thank you for that info! Edited my post to have all those games :).

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It sounds like Nintendo being Nintendo. They're clearly very confident in whatever it is that makes the NX special.

I keep asking myself what could possibly be so special about the NX? Let's assume the graphics are 2x PS4 graphics (they won't be). So what. Who cares?

OK so it's not graphics. What else could it be? A dual handheld home console hybrid device. Let's give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and say that it also has a robust online infrastructure and all the bells and whistles that we've come to expect from PSN and XBL and maybe a few extra uniquely Nintendo features. I'm still not seeing how that can result in how confident they are about their console.

I'm thinking Nintendo are onto something big with the NX. Real big. I can't wait for the reveal
whoops!

Well, let's also remember that they thought the Gamepad was the next big thing, and we all see how that worked out for them.

KingBroly

Banned
We might get something like this before E3

I think they'll name it before E3 like with Wii...and not Wii U. Let the name sink in, take hold, and it's a non-factor by the time it's shown off.

I still think it'll be called Nintendo Home, though. Their naming creativity has been STAGGERING lately, especially in regards to their My Nintendo account. /s

Vena

So, given that ports aren't an instant thing, this feels unhelpful for a system coming out in 9 months.

Holding out until the reveal is a bit different when that reveal is 18 months before launch instead of 6 months.

I'd question the actual timing on this. The article itself says a while back and is in conflict with the other front page info we have from EA which people are corroborating as being months old information from late last year.

Also the wording here is straight up informal. Sounds more like he was getting asked for a pitch in a casual sense months ago and his immediate reply (which to me reads like poking fun rather than serious) was that he had no idea what he would be pitching his game for as a system.

Mhm could you tell us a bit more about yourself?

Mmh...

Thraktor

You truly think Nintendo would be well-advised giving NX kits to Rockstar?

[...]

I didn't say anything about Nintendo giving NX dev kits to Rockstar, I was simply pointing out that large-scale western AAA development has surprisingly few leaks given how many people work on them.

Contracts for early dev kits can be pretty restrictive, though. I distinctly remember early Wii U contracts requiring them to be kept in rooms with no windows with only specific personnel allowed in, etc. And by all accounts their NX contracts are even stricter.

In any case, even if NX development were performed in a room with a 50-100 people, that's still going to be less than half of those involved in a modern AAA production, which as I said, actually has a very low leak rate given the number of people involved.

Schnozberry

I agree. The thirst is real and, as the days go by, it's gonna get worse. I really hope Nintendo has some kind of event for NX before E3, but there's no telling what they are up to. I love Nintendo, but the secrecy surrounding NX is starting to get frustrating. If they want to release this year, they have to talk soon. Hopefully, we'll get something in April.

We got the full reveal for the PS4 and Xbox One about 8 months ahead of release. I would expect a similar path from Nintendo. Neither Microsoft or Sony had fully revealed their plans to indies at that point either. It's probably just a case of Nintendo not wanting leaks to potentially give their competitors enough time to get the jump on whatever the unique tech is they have in NX.

Maybe it's just me, but the way it's worded seems more friendly rather than an official talk of sorts. He even used the phrase, "fun conversation"

KingBroly

Banned
I didn't say anything about Nintendo giving NX dev kits to Rockstar, I was simply pointing out that large-scale western AAA development has surprisingly few leaks given how many people work on them.

Contracts for early dev kits can be pretty restrictive, though. I distinctly remember early Wii U contracts requiring them to be kept in rooms with no windows with only specific personnel allowed in, etc. And by all accounts their NX contracts are even stricter.

In any case, even if NX development were performed in a room with a 50-100 people, that's still going to be less than half of those involved in a modern AAA production, which as I said, actually has a very low leak rate given the number of people involved.

Okay, that's the most Nintendo thing ever, lol.

Top Bottom