Gaming died with Shane Bettenhausen

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
VALIS said:
The majority of this thread is facetious. Some of better laughs to be had are the real Shane-obsessed people committing harakiri here.
Oh I get that. I'm talking about the years of "mangod" worship. If verbally masturbating to your fanboy fetishes in public makes you a mangod then the majority of GAF qualifies for said status.
 
I loved hearing Shane talk about games, but then I loved hearing the 1UP crew in general talk about games. He was an unabashed Sony-bot, but I loved his enthusiasm for his work, plus he was funny as well.

Also, the people who don't get the Mangod thing need to get the sticks outta their butts, it was funny.
 
Cults of personality are always disconcerting whether it is the people who hang on every word of Hannity or Limbaugh or little girls that faun over The Jonas Brothers.

It is inevitable that gaming will follow suit of other mediums in this regard. And hey, if there has to be cults of personalities around videogame writers, Shane is a great choice. He's enthusiastic, charismatic, hyperbolic, and fun to listen to. He also has his own distinct mannerisms like his ironic "famously" doing things.

I hope he comes back to game writing someday.
 
EternalGamer said:
Cults of personality are always disconcerting whether it is the people who hang on every word of Hannity or Limbaugh or little girls that faun over The Jonas Brothers.

It is inevitable that gaming will follow suit of other mediums in this regard. And hey, if there has to be cults of personalities around videogame writers, Shane is a great choice. He's enthusiastic, charismatic, hyperbolic, and fun to listen to. He also has his own distinct mannerisms like his ironic "famously" doing things.

I hope he comes back to game writing someday.
???
 
Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Justin McElroy and their esteemed podcast? I think they've always had a better and more fun show than 1upyours, even in the heyday.

I did enjoy listening to shane, but he did his time there. Move on. I enjoy parish a lot more and retronauts is going stronger than ever.
 
the first 1UP podcast i've listen to since his departure was his guest appearance last week i think... the show is just stale without him in my opinion.
 
I also miss Shane on podcasts, but... Jesus, come on people. :lol

I also miss Shawn Elliott, Jeff Green, Luke Smith, and Mark McDonald on weekly podcasts, but its not the goddamn end of gaming. What did you guys do before podcasts came along? Played games, right? Right... do that.
 
Ninja Scooter said:
Lets be honest. None of us care about video games anymore. Shane's presence on theweekly 1up podcast was us living our child like exuberence for video gaming vicariously through him, and now that that is gone we have nothing. The passion is gone. A new prince of Persia? Wow thanks who gives a fuck? Need for Spped and Tony Hawks pro rider no thanks you. Lets just realize this now.
Yo, I got pix of him in a sleeveless shirt. You down?
 
Wow.

Who'd get a longer prison sentence if they acted on every sexual advance from every 14-year-old fanboy on the internet?

Shane, or Cliffy B?

I say Shane.
 
TheLegendary said:
Shane gets cred for Liquid Swords. I'm sure most people think its MGS related lolz.
Yes, because million selling records from major labels are so obscure. Shane must have reached all the way down to the underground to find that name.
 
Shurs said:
Yeah, because million selling records from major labels are so obscure. Shane must have reached all the way down to the underground to find that name.
I said nothing about it being obscure. However, being that this is a gaming forum and Shane is quite a fan of MGS I don't think think it would be too bold of an assumption to say that most people think that it's referring to Liquid Snake...although I'm sure he partly chose it because of that.

I don't keep up on the Shane Watch the way some others do (I just found out this was his name obviously...I know he was hiding it while at 1up), so seeing his name is an album I enjoy means I at least agree with him on something. I'd say the same if his name was "Cheesehead" or something...I'd give him "cred" because I'm a Packer fan. Wasn't trying to be pretentious or anything.
 
1up Yours lost a lot of ground when Luke left. It was dead when Mark left. As entertaining as Shane can be, he only works when there is a Yang to his bull shit. As much as I enjoy John, there has never been a decent counterpoint to Shane proceeding Mark's exit. The show lost most of its appeal well before Shane left.
 
SonOfABeep said:
Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Justin McElroy and their esteemed podcast? I think they've always had a better and more fun show than 1upyours, even in the heyday.

I did enjoy listening to shane, but he did his time there. Move on. I enjoy parish a lot more and retronauts is going stronger than ever.
Youre right, I do enjoy the ******* podcast also. McElroy's a funny dude. Add ******* to my list on page 5.
 
This Shane person isn't even remotely connected to any aspect of games development; he was just a dude with an opinion. Some of you guys need to get a grip.
Waaaa gaming died with some anonymous commentator who in all actuality had sweet fuck all to do with anything in the industry.

Honestly. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be on these boards as some of you make me cringe so much with your frothing, rabid enthusiasm for people who are totally irrelevant, while actual developers mingle with the forums' company. Give me a fucking break!