• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming franchises that you would like to see explore other genres.

lock2k

Banned
I was thinking about Cammy as well but her game would be more metal gear solid like.

nPgzkmH.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That’s a cool looking game. Most people have probably never heard of it... because it is bad, be cause it got no promotion, because it got no promotion because it is bad...?
It's mostly unknown because it was made by a near-dead publisher for a dead system in a dead genre . It's a top-down shooter similar to Pocky & Rocky, Momorokun Curse, or MERCS but with a lot of melee combat as well (depending on your character's abilities). Fans of those games have nothing but adulation for Cannon Spike, which is considered to be one of the swan songs of the arcade scene.

The core gameplay is solid. Watch 60 seconds of gameplay from a few different characters and you should be able to tell if it's for you.

Like many other rotating shooters of the day (Zero Gunner 2, In Defeat, etc) Cannon Spike could really do with a remake/remaster with twin-stick controls.

INC

I wish more IPs had a match-3 or Puyo knockoff or some other kind of puzzle spinoff. Japanese companies (especially Nintendo) did it alot in the 80s and 90s, which led to some pretty well-known titles.

hqdefault.jpg

images

s-l600.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images

maxresdefault.jpg

51c3LkHhHZL._SX466_.jpg

We need more themed puzzle games. Helps to keep the genre alive and vibrant.

Mortal Kombat had the best version, and was just a mini, ended up playing that more that the actual game

ZywyPL

Banned
Killzone or Resistance in Gears Tactics form. Or Resistance tower defense game, where you fight against waves of Chimera.

Afro Messiah

Neo Member
Tekken's Master Raven: 2D Ninja game like Shinobi/Ninja Gaiden.

Soul Calibur's Zasalamel: 2D Action RPG like Odin Sphere/Dust: An Elysian Tail

Forgotten Worlds: 3rd Person Shooter

Mortal Kombat: Turn Based JRPG like Xenogears/Legend Of Legaia

Jump Force: A puzzle game like Crystal Crisis

Last edited:

CaptainClaw

The Sims as a open-world Visual story driven game (Subtitles obvs)

Pokemon as a MMO game

Tekken as a 3rd Person Action Adventure

The Wolf Among Us as a story driven Open world RPG game

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Animal Crossing X Resident Evil

I'd be a 3rd person over the shoulder horror game.

Rather than the cute graphics, I'd be hyper realistic and fully voice acted. Also be super bloody and violent

sephiroth7x

I'd like a range of point and click games based on popular IP's. A Final Fantasy detective story by Revolution Software would be interesting!

Also, not quite the same but I would love to see the same genre studios attempt other IPs.

For example, IO (Hitman) make a Metal Gear game in the Hitman style or even better - UBI Splinter Cell team having a crack at a Metal Gear or in keeping with my original answer, Lucas Arts making a Broken Sword game.

Scotty W

Gold Member
What if Tomb Raider was VR game?
Cool idea. Something like that would also work well for the Prince of Persia franchise.

On a side note, there is a great old level for zDoom called Doom Raider, which is one of my favorite Doom levels ever.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I have always wanted to see the world of Zeal from Chrono Trigger explored more deeply. Mirror’s Edge in Zeal.

latest

Also, I would love to see a modern game with the feel and the aesthetics of old school Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I love the 80’s neon positivity of Outrun. I would love to see this in another genre.

Vice City is close, but attitude is important. Vice City is hysterical nihilism, while Outrun doesn’t have even a hint of cynicism.

Also, while I love Outrun 2006, it is unfortunate that they did not retain the aesthetic of the original.

Top Bottom