• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Industry 2022: United States is worlds largest gaming market with $55B in revenue. China #2 with $44B, Japan #3 with $39.8B, SK #4 with $11.9B

https://www.safebettingsites.com/20...h-55b-in-revenue-in-2022-11b-more-than-china/
China and the United States have been battling for the top spot of the biggest global gaming market for years. However, the government restrictions cut Chinese gaming revenues this year, making the US an absolute winner.

According to data presented by Safe Betting Sites, the United States generated nearly $55bn in gaming revenue this year, $11bn more than China.

The Biggest Revenue Difference So Far

Considered one of the mainstream forms of entertainment, gaming is an integral part of American culture. According to a Statista survey, there are over 156 million gamers in the country as of this year, and 65% of adults in the US play video games on at least one platform.

Despite gaming already having a solid presence in everyday media consumption, gamers continue spending more time and money on video games.

Three years ago, before the COVID-19 pandemic, the US gaming industry generated $28.4bn in revenue, almost $2bn more than the Chinese market. In 2020, when millions of Americans turned to video games amid lockdown, revenues jumped to $37.8bn. Chinese gaming market hit a $37.1bn value that year.

Chinese Gaming Revenues Dipped By $1.8B Due To Government Restrictions

China might be the world’s gaming capital regarding the number of gamers, but its gaming revenues dipped significantly due to government restrictions.

Despite having 714 million gamers in 2022, or four times more than the United States, Chinese gaming revenues dipped by a massive $1.8bn.

The world’s second-largest gaming industry faced an eight-month freeze on approving new titles, stricter government censorship of game content, and tighter rules restricting playing times for minors, all affecting the user base and revenues.

For the first time in its history, the Chinese gaming industry has seen its revenues drop by 3.8% year-over-year to $44bn in 2022. Also, after the latest push by Chinese regulators, the country lost around 66 million gamers.
O3trKtC.jpg
kz704oX.jpg

Honestly, I was always under the impression that the UK was the 4th biggest gaming industry but it seems that was actually South Korea all along. There's a pretty big distance between the two as well that really surprises me.

Same with Germany, I though that the gaming industry was a bit bigger than that given how popular PC gaming was for years there along with an increase in adoption of consoles.

It seems this isn't including mobile or India would be on the list, so this seems to be focusing on traditional gaming metrics. Given how popular f2p is, and how many more of the upper glass groups are buying consoles in China I'm surprised they have yet to beat the US, even before the recent crackdowns. Look how close they were in 2017 for example.

Spyxos

Gold Member
https://www.safebettingsites.com/20...h-55b-in-revenue-in-2022-11b-more-than-china/

O3trKtC.jpg
kz704oX.jpg

Honestly, I was always under the impression that the UK was the 4th biggest gaming industry but it seems that was actually South Korea all along. There's a pretty big distance between the two as well that really surprises me.

Same with Germany, I though that the gaming industry was a bit bigger than that given how popular PC gaming was for years there along with an increase in adoption of consoles.

It seems this isn't including mobile or India would be on the list, so this seems to be focusing on traditional gaming metrics. Given how popular f2p is, and how many more of the upper glass groups are buying consoles in China I'm surprised they have yet to beat the US, even before the recent crackdowns. Look how close they were in 2017 for example.
Ha, i live in Germany and i am surprised it is even on this list. I always felt that gaming is really looked down on in Germany compared to other countries i have been to.

One big reason U.S. generates more revenue than China despite having a much smaller population is the strong console market here in the States. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo all selling millions upon millions of units every year with games that now cost $70 while China is mostly a PC driven market where I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of games played there are pirated.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, China is "number 2" on paper. Considering how much red tape and censoring you have to do to get in there(if there isn't a bit of bribering, which I wouldn't be surprised), it makes for a fake number 2 in my opinion.

Not to mention that a lot of games wouldn't even get inside that market simply because the dictatorial chinese government didn't want to because of reasons.

One big reason U.S. generates more revenue than China despite having a much smaller population is the strong console market here in the States.

Or, most of China has no time and/or can't afford gaming outside maybe, MAYBE mobile.

I think people are forgetting the countries wealth distribution isn't exactly even compared to the US. It's why the "1% of china" outside mobile is very hard to achieve. If consoles combined PS5/XBS together reaches 4 million units it will be a major record compared to last gen most likely.

Unknown?

Or, most of China has no time and/or can't afford gaming outside maybe, MAYBE mobile.

I think people are forgetting the countries wealth distribution isn't exactly even compared to the US. It's why the "1% of china" outside mobile is very hard to achieve. If consoles combined PS5/XBS together reaches 4 million units it will be a major record compared to last gen most likely.
Well thanks to the actions of the Federal Reserve we are on our way to that extreme wealth disparity.

Mr Moose

Some more info about this:
Leading gaming markets worldwide 2022, by revenue
Published by J. Clement
Research lead covering internet and gaming
Nov 23, 2022
Video gaming is no longer a hobby exclusively enjoyed by the young. As generations have grown up with video games a normal part of life, the video gaming market size has increased across the globe. As of 2022, it is estimated that the United States ranks first among the biggest gaming markets worldwide, with a revenue of 54.9 billion U.S. dollars. The video gaming market in China ranked second, generating an approximate 44 billion U.S. dollars in annual revenues.

Tencent – the driving force of the Chinese gaming market
China and the United States have been battling it out for the top spot of the biggest global gaming market for years. Shenzhen-headquartered Tencent, one of the biggest online companies worldwide, is also driving the gaming market in China. In 2021, Tencent generated approximately a third of its revenue through its online gaming segment, accumulating 174 billion yuan in the most recent year. The company also has several controlling stakes in a wide range of online and mobile gaming companies worldwide. As such, it comes as no surprise that gaming apps ranked first as single most popular app category based on availability in Chinese app stores. As of 2022, it is estimated that there were more than 654 million mobile gamers in China.

The popularity of gaming in the United States
Considered as one of the mainstream forms of entertainment right now, gaming is an integral part of American culture. Current industry figures estimate that there are close to 156 million digital gamers in the United States. According to a survey conducted in 2021, 65 percent of adults in the United States played video games on at least one platform. Despite gaming already having a solid presence in everyday media consumption, the medium is only getting more popular: the coronavirus pandemic has led to non-gamers picking up the controllers, and pre-existing gamers in the United States also been spending more time and money on gaming activities.

BabyYoda

Banned
I used to get miffed at all the UK sales posts on Neogaf every week but it seems they are indeed a good indicator of Europe in General.
Yeah I've seen people freaking out at the UK sales posts, like we're insignificant. We've always been number one in Europe in that regard (despite what fake news would tell you), whether that's a good thing though...

Interesting if you reorder this on dollars per person, based on total population:

Japan: $316.63
South Korea: $230.00
US: $165.41
Australia: $104.90
Canada: $91.50
UK: $90.60
Germany: $61.34
France: $56.29
Italy: $34.87
China: $31.16

Lots of people in China, but hardly any of them are actually gaming. Japanese are the most engaged on a per person level by far.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Us worlds largest gaming market is not surprising the idea that 7 out of 8 homes having high speed internet in 2022 is a reality.

Kerotan

Japan are insane. Overall china would prob be number 1 with a free market and less government restrictions on gaming hours for kids

Kilau

Gold Member
Interesting if you reorder this on dollars per person, based on total population:

Lots of people in China, but hardly any of them are actually gaming. Japanese are the most engaged on a per person level by far.
When you only buy Nintendo games, the spending goes crazy 😜

What are you basing this on?

ReBurn

Gold Member

It's not really that surprising since video games are sometimes illegal in China

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well thanks to the actions of the Federal Reserve we are on our way to that extreme wealth disparity.
on our way?
We're already there. people like Elon are so big that they can just keep failing upwards. meanwhile most californians gotta fight to even pay 1/4 their rent

Fabieter

There are like 400 to 500m people that are at least comparable to Western middle class. What a weird thing to say really.

Elysion

Banned
I can only assume that mobile is the reason why Japan is still number 3 worldwide (and not even that far behind China and the US), despite the anemic weekly sales numbers that console hardware and software over there have these days (with the exception of Nintendo I guess).

Sakura

People here always overestimate Europe and underestimate Japan.
I can only assume that mobile is the reason why Japan is still number 3 worldwide (and not even that far behind China and the US), despite the anemic weekly sales numbers that console hardware and software over there have these days (with the exception of Nintendo I guess).
Like this guy. Japan sells more consoles and console software than any country in the world aside from the USA. Between the Switch, PS5, and uh... the Xbox Series, there have been about 30 million consoles sold in Japan.

Remember that the USA has a population 2.5 times higher than Japan, so in order to even have the same amount of consoles sold per capita, there would need to be 75 million sold combined between the 3 systems.
But Japan's sales are anemic, right? So the US should have much higher sales than 75 million. And yet, they don't.
Oh I forgot though, you have the strange caveat of "with the exception of Nintendo".

BabyYoda

Banned
Japan market is 6.5 times bigger than UK market but somehow it's the opposite in this forum where Japanese sales discussion rarely getting any traction.
To be fair, I doubt many people from Japan post on this forum, or even read it.

Last edited:

SaintALia

One big reason U.S. generates more revenue than China despite having a much smaller population is the strong console market here in the States. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo all selling millions upon millions of units every year with games that now cost $70 while China is mostly a PC driven market where I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of games played there are pirated.
You mean that and the Chinese government intentionally kneecapping the videogame market. The Chinese market could easily overtake the US I would imagine, but there are a lot of artificial constraints on that market, even with it's piracy issues. Hell, S. Korea is driven almost entirely by it's PC market I would imagine.

I'm still legit surprised at Japan given it's size, to this day.

SaintALia

Japan market is 6.5 times bigger than UK market but somehow it's the opposite in this forum where Japanese sales discussion rarely getting any traction.
The Gaf Japanese Sales crew migrated to Era, and then the Era crew migrated elsewhere. That was one of the main threads that kept me a lurker on Gaf for years. When they migrated to Era, they kept going for a while, then some drama happened. Era still has Japanese Sales threads, but it's a ghost town now pretty much.

But most of the sales threads aren't what they used to be though. I think one of the main sales bodies stopped provided numbers for Japan sales, and NPD switched to revenue instead of units, so both threads became a bit less exciting for me personally. Nowadays its...well...times change. Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Goes to show how important Japan is, and is it strange to see how much smaller markets like Germany and France are, I expected more.

China is the future and it's gonna be a war to capture that market.

Top Bottom