• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Journalism |OT| May contain trace amounts of games. Or journalism.

nush

Gold Member
I think certain outlets probably didn't get access because they didn't want the first reviews to be "This game doesn't say enough about how donald trump is bad" or some other woke bullshit hit piece.
fJaHQkr.gif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I noticed a pattern of the list being all the sites that screech about “social issues” and inject it in their critique of games when there is none. Going as far as fabricating stories.

Do we forget the “retarded” audio thing not too long ago from Hacktaku?
I haven’t clicked through to Kotaku for years, but I’d bet my balls they’ve written hit pieces on Randy Pitchford and then this idiot expects early access to one of his games.

Whatever you think of Randy, if I was him, I’d tell them to go and get fucked too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I haven’t clicked through to Kotaku for years, but I’d bet my balls they’ve written hit pieces on Randy Pitchford and then this idiot expects early access to one of his games.

Whatever you think of Randy, if I was him, I’d tell them to go and get fucked too.

I like to think it’s a sign for certain publishers waking up to the ideological crusade fabrication and BS, since Eurogamer was on the list, as well as SkillUp, etc..

But probably a one off thing. Always amusing watching them cry about not getting their freebies, however.

nush

Gold Member

2601wHk.jpg

rItwKjm.jpg

wqwSz2R.jpg

(FYI Take Two own Rockstar and 2K)

Kotaku does not get Borderlands 3 review copies

Jason Schreier:

1Sid3DJ.jpg

GreyHorace

I like to think it’s a sign for certain publishers waking up to the ideological crusade fabrication and BS, since Eurogamer was on the list, as well as SkillUp, etc..

But probably a one off thing. Always amusing watching them cry about not getting their freebies, however.
SkillUp's an SJW? That's news to me. I enjoyed his video on Electronic Art's lootbox scam.

Barakov

Gold Member
Schrier crying about being an asshole to people who try to create entertainment and belittling devs in a public arena...

Hmmm,

We know all there is to know, about the Schreiering game

I always love how Kotaku articles have people in the replies on twitter calling them out on their bullshit. :pie_roffles:

After all that's happened between the press and people that actually like videogames I don't have one iota of sympathy when things like this happens.

Ajvy

Neo Member
Kotaku is the tabloid of gaming. If you want relevant news, you don't read it. If you want clickbait and silly opinions that's the right place to go.

Petrae

Buy the game on launch day, Schreier, instead of crying on LiveJournal— oops, I meant Twitter— about being denied early access. Publishers are not and never have been obligated to send every website review copies or grant them early access. If your site is likely to be a liability when it comes to early press, then you aren’t necessary... especially in a time where traditional “gaming press” is less valuable than influencers.

Aside from what’s left of the “gaming journalism” circle and the few Kotaku fanpeople kicking around, nobody has sympathy for a video game website or for a generally detestable person who only occasionally offers something of merit.

nush

Gold Member
Buy the game on launch day, Schreier, instead of crying on LiveJournal— oops, I meant Twitter— about being denied early access. Publishers are not and never have been obligated to send every website review copies or grant them early access. If your site is likely to be a liability when it comes to early press, then you aren’t necessary... especially in a time where traditional “gaming press” is less valuable than influencers.

Aside from what’s left of the “gaming journalism” circle and the few Kotaku fanpeople kicking around, nobody has sympathy for a video game website or for a generally detestable person who only occasionally offers something of merit.

TLDW Woke reviwers scored the game lower than anyone.

ROMhack

I posted in the Review Thread but it's not just Kotaku who didn't receive review copies.

Granted I'm always up for a Kotaku bashing but it seems there's more to this.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I posted in the Review Thread but it's not just Kotaku who didn't receive review copies.

Granted I'm always up for a Kotaku bashing but it seems there's more to this.
It is business as usual. It's a two-way street and if a particular outlet is always a negative return on investment why on earth would you keep going out of your way to help them?

If a site like Kotaku is respected by the community at large then being blacklisted by a publisher should increase that respect. If, on the other hand, that site goes out of its way to critique games on everything except how well they work as games, then maybe they're not useful to anybody in the industry except themselves.

The thing to remember is that publishers don't exist in the echo-chamber these sites do. They'll pay lip service to their platforms when it is useful and ignore them when it is isn't.

tldr; Publishers blacklisting sites with an agenda that is anything but reviewing games for what they are instead of what they aren't isn't a new thing.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It is business as usual. It's a two-way street and if a particular outlet is always a negative return on investment why on earth would you keep going out of your way to help them?

If a site like Kotaku is respected by the community at large then being blacklisted by a publisher should increase that respect. If, on the other hand, that site goes out of its way to critique games on everything except how well they work as games, then maybe they're not useful to anybody in the industry except themselves.

The source I posted in the other thread is from Metro UK who haven't been negative about the series. It does genuinely seem like there's something more to it.

As a point:

Borderlands 1: GOTY - 7/10
Borderlands 2 - 9/10
Borderlands 2 VR - 8/10
Borderlands: The Pre Sequel - 7/10

That's how they've rated all the games in the series so far. Seems weird.

Edit: Source (Why you won't be reading our Borderlands 3 review this week).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
SkillUp's an SJW? That's news to me. I enjoyed his video on Electronic Art's lootbox scam.

You must miss a lot of his tweets, etc.. I was shocked to see it a couple months back on here (when he was sticking up for the Ree'er that VG24/7 hired during the whole back and forth attack on TheQuartering), thus stopped following after I seen he caught the ideological bug.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

TLDW Woke reviwers scored the game lower than anyone.

Eh, I am not a fan of The Quartering much these days so I am only going by his title. Humor is a core part of Borderlands' writing and characters and if it doesn't hit for you, it can greatly hinder the enjoyment of the game as a whole. Doesn't necessarily make you Woke/an SJW.

Though this *is* PC Gamer and they are about as trustworthy as Kotaku or Polygon at this point.

GreyHorace

You must miss a lot of his tweets, etc.. I was shocked to see it a couple months back on here (when he was sticking up for the Ree'er that VG24/7 hired during the whole back and forth attack on TheQuartering), thus stopped following after I seen he caught the ideological bug.
I don't do Twitter, so I really don't know of the nonsense people post there. I imagine if I do, I'd probably be bummed that people I like turn out to be idiots. I only end up seeing tweets if they're posted in places like GAF or reddit.

For example, I used to be a fan of Lindsay Ellis (formerly The Nostalgia Chick), until I saw her tweets in another forum. It was disappointing to learn that one of my favorite internet critic was a rabid SJW like Anita Sarkeesian.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't do Twitter, so I really don't know of the nonsense people post there. I imagine if I do, I'd probably be bummed that people I like turn out to be idiots. I only end up seeing tweets if they're posted in places like GAF or reddit.

For example, I used to be a fan of Lindsay Ellis (formerly The Nostalgia Chick), until I saw her tweets in another forum. It was disappointing to learn that one of my favorite internet critic was a rabid SJW like Anita Sarkeesian.

I hear you. I deleted Twitter a while back and only see them on here or the like as well. I remember seeing it on here when people were posting, plus the videos.

ROMhack

Eh, I am not a fan of The Quartering much these days so I am only going by his title. Humor is a core part of Borderlands' writing and characters and if it doesn't hit for you, it can greatly hinder the enjoyment of the game as a whole. Doesn't necessarily make you Woke/an SJW.

Though this *is* PC Gamer and they are about as trustworthy as Kotaku or Polygon at this point.

Agreed, I do think Borderlands leans heavily on liberal takes (ie humour) but I'm not sure it's offensively liberal as some suggest.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Well I'm pretty sure we can't trust the gaming media to judge humour, given your average SJW knows as much about humour as I do about morris dancing.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
At this point I am convinced that game journalists’ brains operate at a level far lower than that of an average full-blooded human.
I’m almost certain that there was a study published in the past couple of years which concluded that journalists are dumber than normal.

FAKE EDIT: Here you go:

Journalists' brains show a lower-than-average level of executive functioning, according to a new study

GreyHorace

Always liked Felipe Pepe and his dedication to the RPG genre. If he says the Greedfall is good, then that is indeed high praise.

And yes, PC Gamer is shit. I liked Dragon Age 2 btw, but it did not deserve a 94% review.

At this point I am convinced that game journalists’ brains operate at a level far lower than that of an average full-blooded human.

What is it and SJW's and their fucking obsession with colonialism? Did a bunch of conquistadors rape their mothers or something?

I come from a country that was colonised by the Spanish more than 400 years ago. It's fucking ancient history now to us so we don't feel the need to bring it up in current day discussions.

Starfield

T
Had no idea Jason Schreier once told Keanu to fuck off. I doubt this was a good idea for mister aways right analyst Jason Schreier 🤣

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Imagine trying so hard to defend journalists who repeatedly push unscientific and unfounded claims of "toxic masculinity", "privilege", and railing on those who defend against children undergoing (medically proven) harmful transitioning for their age and development.

What a fucking stupid thing to do.

Fox Mulder

What is it and SJW's and their fucking obsession with colonialism? Did a bunch of conquistadors rape their mothers or something?

I come from a country that was colonised by the Spanish more than 400 years ago. It's fucking ancient history now to us so we don't feel the need to bring it up in current day discussions.

They have a journalism degree from a college. You can't just talk about a game on its own merits, you have to change the WoRLd!!

Shai-Tan

Banned
They have a journalism degree from a college. You can't just talk about a game on its own merits, you have to change the WoRLd!!

Most journalists haven't gone to j-school. It's overpriced and the economics of the industry have turned it into a playground for people with well off families. The dude who wrote that review has a bachelor of fine arts i.e. no relevant qualifications beyond the ability to write. So if it's anything it's a tic of the social circles he runs in, online and off

cormack12

Gold Member
I originally started posting this in the ZQ thread but it actually fit better here:

She got in trouble having sex with people for reviews remember?
Remember all those ugly nerds you went to school with? The ones that didn't really have any friends and were really into gaming? Those guys run the industry now. They';; do anything for attention and sex from women.

This is how simple it is and it's alarming people don't get onto it. And it's where a lot of all this 'let's make the protag of gears a woman' comes from. If more women play, then it means were finally accepted and those names we were called twenty years ago mean nothing!!! And more women will play these type of games if we just stick a woman in them....

source.gif

Then you have these bloggers who can't write for any publication with reach or influence and haven't got the artistry to create a novel, so inject what they want to write about into videogames. Meanwhile, these jounalists and older gamers who have always been side eyed for playing games, latch onto this ridiculous bullshit as it creates a false sense of credibility and intellectual reason to play games - which validates the fact they sit on their ass playing a very low barrier, digital form of entertainment. Can videogames be 'deep' and meaningful? They can tell stories and can be built around political events - what people do is draw false parallels because you can mirror some aspect of a games story as a real world concern. Is 'Don't Starve' a simple suvival game, or is it a commentary on how the demons of scientific advancement in the name of progress and addressing world weary problems ultimately will be the downfall of civilisation. Whereupon we then compete for natural resources against nature eventually reconstructing the status quo via engineering? You can inject whatever bullshit you want and then write 600 words about how it's right and people lap it up because it sounds semi-intelligent.

There was an exhibition about art and suppressed political messages about homosexuals in the Tate. These messages had to be subtle at the time, obviously because being homosexual was a crime at one point. So the real artistry and politicalisation required actual creativity:

3F132FF400000578-4392836-image-a-64_1491664891298.jpg

Lady With A Red Hat is at first glance a simple portrait. But the red hat she wore - and the scarlet book she held in one hand - hinted at the decade-long affair Vita had with Virginia Woolf

3F131E8000000578-4392836-image-a-66_1491664902451.jpg

Edmund Dulac's 'Charles Ricketts and Charles Shannon as Medieval Saints' depicts two men dressed as monks, hinting at the all-male bond they shared through the peacock feather held aloft in one of the men's hand

That is actual movement in art. Subversive and subtle messages that require real creative minds. VIdeo games as a medium is brash, common and immature. This is what we get in videogames:

This is why games and by extension developers, cannot be taken serious as having any sort of influence or positive impact. The portrayal is often through melodramatic and physical acts (which are just as bad as the straight scenes in video games, don't get me wrong), or through supporting textual material which clearly states 'character A is a fun loving guy, who likes to hang with his boyfriend.' It has the subtelty of a five year old. It's not pre-1967 any more and if any of these people want to be taken seriously, they need to stop imagining they're part of some clandestine movement that is fighting against persecution and institutionalised struggle. No one really cares because everyone knows it's not the struggle it's being portrayed as. If it was, then the above just wouldn't simply exist, due to censorship.

If you're really artists and creatives, prove it. If you're really journalists and not bloggers then prove it. It's not the publication of an article that makes you credible these days - the internet saw to that - it's the honesty and quality of your writing.

ROMhack

I originally started posting this in the ZQ thread but it actually fit better here:

This is how simple it is and it's alarming people don't get onto it. And it's where a lot of all this 'let's make the protag of gears a woman' comes from. If more women play, then it means were finally accepted and those names we were called twenty years ago mean nothing!!! And more women will play these type of games if we just stick a woman in them....

source.gif

Then you have these bloggers who can't write for any publication with reach or influence and haven't got the artistry to create a novel, so inject what they want to write about into videogames. Meanwhile, these jounalists and older gamers who have always been side eyed for playing games, latch onto this ridiculous bullshit as it creates a false sense of credibility and intellectual reason to play games - which validates the fact they sit on their ass playing a very low barrier, digital form of entertainment. Can videogames be 'deep' and meaningful? They can tell stories and can be built around political events - what people do is draw false parallels because you can mirror some aspect of a games story as a real world concern. Is 'Don't Starve' a simple suvival game, or is it a commentary on how the demons of scientific advancement in the name of progress and addressing world weary problems ultimately will be the downfall of civilisation. Whereupon we then compete for natural resources against nature eventually reconstructing the status quo via engineering? You can inject whatever bullshit you want and then write 600 words about how it's right and people lap it up because it sounds semi-intelligent.

There was an exhibition about art and suppressed political messages about homosexuals in the Tate. These messages had to be subtle at the time, obviously because being homosexual was a crime at one point. So the real artistry and politicalisation required actual creativity:

That is actual movement in art. Subversive and subtle messages that require real creative minds. VIdeo games as a medium is brash, common and immature. This is what we get in videogames:

This is why games and by extension developers, cannot be taken serious as having any sort of influence or positive impact. The portrayal is often through melodramatic and physical acts (which are just as bad as the straight scenes in video games, don't get me wrong), or through supporting textual material which clearly states 'character A is a fun loving guy, who likes to hang with his boyfriend.' It has the subtelty of a five year old. It's not pre-1967 any more and if any of these people want to be taken seriously, they need to stop imagining they're part of some clandestine movement that is fighting against persecution and institutionalised struggle. No one really cares because everyone knows it's not the struggle it's being portrayed as. If it was, then the above just wouldn't simply exist, due to censorship.

If you're really artists and creatives, prove it. If you're really journalists and not bloggers then prove it. It's not the publication of an article that makes you credible these days - the internet saw to that - it's the honesty and quality of your writing.

Good post. I've always supposed that it's because that it's not really a huge problem that they want to push certain topics so much. As you imply, it seems like they want to be taken seriously as people so throw a lot of effort into their articles to make it sound like they're fighting some kind of war. It seems they're always very quick to make it sound like they're fighting for a worthy cause. Plus, politics is low-hanging fruit because it causes an emotional reaction which in turn fosters attention.

For what it's worth, I still think 95% of gaming news is neutral and not very political but it's that special 5% that makes my eyeballs roll. I too also wonder where the honesty is in writing anymore. Every time I read a conjecture piece by a videogame journalist, I think it's totally made up and exaggerated just because they had a quota to fill that week. Unfortunately this just seems like a standard form of journalism on the internet at the moment. It's largely why I've found myself zoning out over the years.

Whitesnake

Banned

The Title:
Zelda Link's Awakening REVIEW: Bad news for Legend of Zelda fans on Nintendo Switch

The Content of the article:
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening's release date is less than a week away on Nintendo Switch.
The bad news, however, is that fans face a longer wait for the review scores to go live.
According to a recent tweet by Metacritic, the review embargo doesn't lift until the day before the September 20 release date.
This means that fans will have to wait until September 19 for reviews to be published.
The Metacritic tweet suggests that the embargo will lift at 5am Pacific time, which means UK fans will be able to find out more about the game at 1pm BST.
Considering the remake has been more than 25 years in the making, a few extra days shouldn't make much difference.
Indeed, Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening is a fully-fledged remake of the 1993 Game Boy release.
It features a colourful new art style, as well as a new dungeon building mode.
Correction - reviews for Link's Awakening (Switch) will start going up on Thursday, Sept 19 at 5am Pacific: https://t.co/VQyaPSqCZQ pic.twitter.com/ujQZ9xaoec
— metacritic (@metacritic) September 7, 2019
Nintendo explains more: "During your adventures, Link will acquire mystical items called 'Chamber Stones' that can be arranged into custom layouts to form Chamber Dungeons!
"Mix and match different chambers to your hearts content: place an entrance, add some puzzles, keys, boss battles, and everything in-between.
"Once your Chamber Dungeon is complete, try to conquer it and reap the rewards within!"
While it's been compared to Mario Maker, early impressions have not been kind to the Chamber Dungeons feature.
"This feels like a rudimentary, stripped-down version of what a Zelda Maker could look like, and the results are really bad," reads a Kotaku post.

Shameless clickbait. The “Bad News” is literally “Metacritic scores don’t go up until the 19th”. That’s it.

Top Bottom