• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" keyboards = biggest scam in computer gaming

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I use a $12 Rosewill keyboard. It does it's job.

I4l58.jpg

Gravijah

jim-jam bongs said:
Clearly this is the first thread by the OP you've visited. See other classics such as "Uncharted is the pinnacle of game development because I say so, if you disagree then you just don't understand".

you just don't understand

Snuggler said:
I use a $12 Rosewill keyboard. It does it's job.

at least you have a good mouse right

bandresen said:
But you certainly can't use the keyboard from the OP for that either.

There is a reason certain brands of keyboard manufacturer's specify if they have 'anti-ghosting' or xKRO. If you can find a keyboard that does all that for cheap without the 'gaming' moniker then all power to you. Recommend it for people that read this thread so they can get a cheap keyboard that isn't annoying to use in games.
Most keyboard manufactures talk about anti-ghosting and what not for marketing purposes. Try a few random Dell/Microsoft/whatever brand keyboards, you'll be surprised by how good they are with rollover.

jim-jam bongs said:
I'ma get one soon, but there is no way I'm going for the unlabelled model :p
do it! you'll be a whiny bitch about symbol keys for the first week or two, but you'll be glad you did it after that.

Anilusion

Razer BlackWidow, the only good "gaming" keyboard (because it's mechanical). And it's actually cheaper than other mechanical keyboards.

Orayn

Anilusion said:
Razer BlackWidow, the only good "gaming" keyboard (because it's mechanical). And it's actually cheaper than other mechanical keyboards.
Same here. Build quality is a bit inconsistent, but it's the best entry level mechanical keyboard out right now.

Mices are definitely pretty varied too, I like my Microsoft sidewinder for the nice "thumb-roll" accessible side buttons.

plagiarize said:
do it! you'll be a whiny bitch about symbol keys for the first week or two, but you'll be glad you did it after that.

Ashamed to admit that after years of writing code for a living I can only touch-type if I successfully manage to forget that I can't touch-type. It's really weird.

DJ_Lae

I've got one of the second gen G15s that I paid $50 for - love it. The backlight is nice and subtle, the LCD screen is really handy, and it's quite comfortable for general use (this is also my work computer, so it has to be).

There's also a switch that toggles the windows key on and off, which is great in games that don't alt-tab well.

Macro keys don't really interest me much, but hey.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Gravijah said:
fuck yeah mx518 bro club

i can never decide what to map to the extra buttons though.
I have an MX500, which has the same side buttons. In L4D, I like to map one of the side buttons to grenade, and the other button switches between the two guns. It's very nice.

Also, my work keyboard sucks, but I know my home keyboard is just as bad.

TE UIC RWN JUPED VER TE LAY DG

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
jim-jam bongs said:
Clearly this is the first thread by the OP you've visited. See other classics such as "Uncharted is the pinnacle of game development because I say so, if you disagree then you just don't understand".

What's clear is that you are a terrible liar and a fabricator of truths. I don't remember ever making a thread as sensational as that.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i don't care what anyone says ergo or bust.
21024.png

After 20+ years gaming and working using a keyboard I've found straight keyboards, after a couple hours, leaves my left wrist and fingers numb from strain.

So hey, save 30 bucks now so you can have carpal tunnel surgery in 15years...you go!
ctsurgery.jpg

Me I'll pay for the 69 dollar keyboard any day.

bloodydrake said:
[]http://www.logitech.com/assets/21024/21024.png[/IMG]
After 20+ years gaming and working using a keyboard I've found straight keyboards, after a couple hours, leaves my left wrist and fingers numb from strain.

So hey, save 30 bucks now so you can have carpal tunnel surgery in 15years...you go!
[]http://www.therapygloves.com/images/ctsurgery.jpg[/IMG]

Me I'll pay for th 69 dollar keyboard any day.

I've also been gaming for 20+ year but on a regular one. How many more years would you say I have left before something terrible happens?

LOL

aaaaaa

The Dell pack-in keyboards are quite high quality actually. Nothing wrong with them and they last a long while.

Mice are another matter. Your mouse should have at least 7 buttons on it or you are just a Slingo playing granny.

derder

I went from Logitech Standard Keyboards to the first generation g15 to this
kOadY.jpg

You're going to hear it for the rest of your life, but Mechanical Keyboards are the way to go.

Gravijah

aaaaaa said:
The Dell pack-in keyboards are quite high quality actually. Nothing wrong with them and they last a long while.

Mice are another matter. Your mouse should have at least 7 buttons on it or you are just a Slingo playing granny.

slingo is fucking amazing

fuck now i want to play some slingo

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Metalmurphy said:
I've also been gaming for 20+ year but on a regular one. How many more years would you say I have left before something terrible happens?

LOL
90 days..sorry to be the one to tell you its all over

MrOogieBoogie said:
What's clear is that you are a terrible liar and a fabricator of truths. I don't remember ever making a thread as sensational as that.

Sorry, my mistake. It was the thread where you were arguing that Uncharted is "revolutionary" because it has good voice-acting and cut-scene editing.

Tambini

I rock a microsoft keyboard and a sidewinder x3 mouse.

Not too bothered about expensive keyboards or mouses, my mouse suits me perfectly and the keyboard does the job, I guess.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
jim-jam bongs said:
Sorry, my mistake. It was the thread where you were arguing that Uncharted is "revolutionary" because it has good voice-acting and cut-scene editing.

When you say it like that it's actually kinda funny. lol

Did a ton of research on keyboards last week since ive been unhappy with hat ive been using. Found this great guide that explains everything* about mechanical keyboards.

The Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Am now trying out a Steelseries 6Gv2 whit Cherry MX Black Switches, so good, loving it so far. Going to try the Cherry MX Brown Switches to to see if i want the tactile feedback on the way down or not.

* maybe not everything

Spookie

derder said:
I went from Logitech Standard Keyboards to the first generation g15 to this
kOadY.jpg

You're going to hear it for the rest of your life, but Mechanical Keyboards are the way to go.

I did exactly the same thing. I fucking love that keyboard, feels great and I don't mash the keyboard as often trying to hit the right key. Everything feels very precise and it takes so little to register a press. Also: A damn sight cheaper than the Filco and comes with a wrist rest! I was going to go for the Steelseries as I love the Xai mouse and HD mouse mat but I heard the build quality wasn't fantastic on the keys.

I did try the Blackwidow Ultimate at Eurogamer Expo when playing BF3 (credit to Razor for fronting all that expensive hardware), The clicky feel didn't gel with me- though I'd like to give browns a shot or how BLOODY LOUD they were.

In short: Mechanical keyboards are MORE than worth the dosh.

mbmonk

Orayn said:
To be fair, that Dell is one of the nicer membrane keyboards in wide circulation. Where he goes wrong is in claiming that no keyboard above $30 can provide a competitive advantage. Being able to use any gaming peripheral effectively is mostly a matter of familiarity and comfort, which vary wildly among individuals.

I learned more about his position from your post than I did from his. That is the problem.

joelseph

bloodydrake said:
http://www.logitech.com/assets/21024/21024.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.therapygloves.com/images/ctsurgery.jpg[IMG]

Me I'll pay for the 69 dollar keyboard any day.[/QUOTE]

Resting your wrists on contoured keyboards will lead to damage just as quick, fyi.

joelseph

JoeMartin said:
http://www.florisporro.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/pckeyboards_2065_66671.jpg[img]

Unicomp boards. $80. Worth every penny.

Go buckling spring or go home.[/QUOTE]

Cherry or bust friend you are backing the wrong horse.

Erasus

bandresen said:
Have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time.

Spent about 40 on a MS Sidewinder X4

Great keyboard. No more unresponsive keys, has backlights, media keys and macro keys. Also a dedicated button for the calculator for some reason xD

darkpaladinmfc said:
Avoid it, it has the shitty PTE (Philips Twin Eye) sensor.

Ah, thanks for telling me about that. I'd heard of PTE but didn't know much about it until you said this. Yeah, I'll avoid it.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
yes, a nice mouse is actually important

I have a logitech mx518 and it's lovely

A nice mouse really isn't any more important than a nice keyboard. Much like people still using old Dell ball mice, you only think this until you stop using shitty devices.

joelseph

Quadrangulum said:
Many premium keyboards are scams but spending more for mechanical switches is well worth it, and not just for gaming.

All retail premium boards are scams. Everyone in here saying how great their premium logitech keyboards are are perpetuating the scam through ignorance. We just need them to get a mechanical so they can start carrying the right banner.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
no numpad = fail

Agreed, the number pad owns. I'm really good at typing with it, it makes me feel like a wizard when I'm pounding out 20 digit codes like it's nothing.

Top Bottom