• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" keyboards = biggest scam in computer gaming

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I laugh at anyone who spends more than $30 on a keyboard thinking it'll give him or her an edge in online competitive play.

Dell_keyboard_1.jpg

All you need.

Gravijah

MrOogieBoogie said:
I laugh at anyone who spends more than $30 on a keyboard thinking it'll give him or her an edge in online competitive play.

Dell_keyboard_1.jpg

All you need.

i have a keyboard similar to that and the keys are way too fucking stiff. i hate playing stepmania on it.

bandresen said:
Have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time.

and also this. but at least spread works. :/

Tain

I have a nice Filco mechanical keyboard. It wasn't really for gaming, though, as much as it was for all the time I spend on my computer doing anything.

clicky ass keys feel good as hell, man

sk3tch

The only problem with your argument is that I use my "gaming" keyboard about 50-60 hours of week and maybe 5-6 of those hours are for gaming. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the quality and comfort. To each their own...

...Mechanical keys FTW.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You're clearly not hardcore enough.

I can't macro for shit if I'm not using mechanical.
Who am I kidding, I can't macro for shit. Period.

Gaming-branded non-mechanical keyboards do suck.

Truespeed said:
I would disagree. For some games the benefit of n-key rollover does have its advantages.
NKRO isn't very important, a lot of SC2 tournaments don't let you use PS2 (ie, no NKRO) and most FPS players just use random keyboards from sponsors.

Tain said:
I have a nice Filco mechanical keyboard. It wasn't really for gaming, though, as much as it was for all the time I spend on my computer doing anything.

clicky ass keys feel good as hell, man

I've got a Filco, too, and am absolutely in love with it. I'll never go back to a regular keyboard if I don't have to.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its so hard for me to go back to other keyboards after
close-up-of-new-macbook-keyboard.jpg

Every other keyboard I use the keys feel too stiff and things feel too spaced apart.

I dont think I'd see the difference between a 30$ regular keyboard and the 80$ Razer Lycosa I bought a few weeks ago. But seriously, I wanted a nice looking, backlit keyboard, and to me thats what matters and worth the premium. It's like saying you don't need a macbook pro because a similar spec'd windows laptop costs several hundred less. It's a personal choice.

Lothars

famousmortimer said:
I bought a logitech g-15 what feels like about 6 years ago. I still use it. I love it.

Using and loving it for 6 years = scam
yup didn't you know anything not a basic keyboard so your being ripped off.

(I have a G15 to and love it, It's a great keyboard.)

Alex

I liked the G15 for awhile, mostly for the LCD for Trillian. The G-keys and macro recording, even as an MMO dabbler were fairly useless to me though.

I kind of like backlighting, but it's mostly done in such a tacky way. The eclipse II is the only colorful one I've seen that looks decent, but it's still rather gaudy

The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is a nice looking/feeling, nice simple white backlighting and pretty darn nice keys that are a lot more comfortable than the Logitech G series boards. But it does have an issue with it's matrix or whatever it was that won't allow space + w + shift to be pressed at once, so if you play speedy FPS's you're gonna have to rebind something.

Speaking of which, they are having a nice sale on that one though on Staples, I got mine from it:

http://www.staples.com/Logitech-Illuminated-Keyboard/product_774128

34.99 with free shipping. I'm using it and an Mx518 currently. Love that damn mouse.

Emitan

I use a $6 keyboard I bought from goodwill and it sucks. Y key doesn't even work half the time. But I can still play tf2 dammit!

Durante

I don't use a "gaming" keyboard, but I don't think paying a bit more for a good keyboard is a scam. Personally I use this:
gallery_1.jpg

One at work and one at home. The only disadvantage is that I'm a bit slower when typing on a "normal" keyboard.

What I can't stand are keyboards that have keys to the left of ctrl/shift. I hit them by accident far too often.

chrisisawesome said:
I dont think I'd see the difference between a 30$ regular keyboard and the 80$ Razer Lycosa I bought a few weeks ago. But seriously, I wanted a nice looking, backlit keyboard, and to me thats what matters and worth the premium. It's like saying you don't need a macbook pro because a similar spec'd windows laptop costs several hundred less. It's a personal choice.
For that price you could have bought a mechanical which feels much nicer rather than just looking nicer (though I think a plain old FILCO looks better than most tacky backlit keyboards).

Salaadin

I have Logitech G11 (Im too cheap to get the G15 or G19) and I love it. Best keyboard I ever owned although I never used a mechanical so I know nothing about them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You get what you pay for. Whether you want backlight, fucntion keys, volume control, extra USB/headphone, clacky or quiet, display, style, etc.

I had a $20 Saitek Eclipse which was a great keyboard imo. Currently on a DAS with blue's and it a pleasure to type on.

sk3tch said:
The only problem with your argument is that I use my "gaming" keyboard about 50-60 hours of week and maybe 5-6 of those hours are for gaming. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the quality and comfort. To each their own...

...Mechanical keys FTW.

All this talk about mechanical keyboards.

I'd love to try one out before shelling out a large amount for one.

Haunted

"Gaming" branded anything is almost always a ripoff designed to take advantage of the gullible.

Nothing wrong with a good ergonomic keyboard and mouse with proper dpi though.

MRORANGE

MrOogieBoogie said:

Dell_keyboard_1.jpg

All you need.

hey I got the same as well! *fist bump*

MrOogieBoogie said:

Dell_keyboard_1.jpg

All you need.

I bought a gaming keyboard with a macro panel, headphone jacks, usb ports, and it really helped me out and did give me an edge in WoW as a raid leader.

comelaughatmebro.jpg :)

I use a Razer keyboard really just for the back lighting. I don't claim it makes me a better gamer, except of course at night with the lights in the room off... it's very hard to do ANYTHING without a backlit keyboard under those circumstances!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Mr Sandman said:
The keys I need at the same time have all worked fine. I can hold sprint, run forward and strafe, jump/crouch or change weapons. Meanwhile on my friend's Gigabyte gaming keyboard, he can't jump while moving forward and holding sprint. Haha.
With the keyboard in the OP you can't hold both sprint, forward and strafe and then jump at the same time.

And if you think you don't need it, then that's fine. But ask anyone that plays FPS on a PC and has ever had the beep noise come up when playing because of the limitation if it gets annoying.

Zapperkhan said:
What game you use more that 3 keys at one time.
The better question is what game requires only 2 keys at one time. Because if it requires 3 there will come a point where you will need from one set of 3 keys to another set with 3 keys.
For example strafing. If you're just doing it while the key isn't freed yet by the OS, then you will get a beep and lose your concentration.

Truespeed said:
I would disagree. For some games the benefit of n-key rollover does have its advantages.
What game do you use more that 3 keys at one time? Just curious, I do use a Steelseries, so I'm in the camp that thinks quality keyboards are useful. But haven't have a problem with NKRO in games. However, at work with editing text files, much more likely.

bandresen said:
With the keyboard in the OP you can't hold both sprint, forward and strafe and then jump at the same time.

And if you think you don't need it, then that's fine. But ask anyone that plays FPS on a PC and has ever had the beep noise come up when playing because of the limitation if it gets annoying.

Yes you can... Modifiers (ie, Control, shift, alt, etc) do not count.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
See You Next Wednesday said:
Come on, your saying you wouldn't put in a little extra scratch for something like this bad boy

logitech-g19-gaming-keyboard_5tfN9_5965.jpg

The fuck is that thing? A Transformer?

I agree with your sentiment, although I do have to say there are some games that do benefit from n-key rollover. They are few in number, and few "gaming" keyboards even have n-key rollover.

Gaming keyboards are for the most part frivolous as far as competitive gaming goes.

Still some of them have useful features.

I doubt there are many people who believe buying a gaming keyboard will increase their ability to play games in any significant way.

I would hope most people buy keyboards for the features it brings, and the comfort level.

That being said, mechanical keyboard > anything else.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
darkpaladinmfc said:
Yes you can... Modifiers (ie, Control, shift, alt, etc) do not count.
And you also bind some of the above things to the mouse and avoid it that way.

The point I think was made very clear that rollover is a problem in certain genres. If you don't see it that way, you must not play at a high enough level to have it occur.

Or are you saying that this problem doesn't even exist and that NKRO doesn't solve anything?

KKRT00

bandresen said:
Have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time.
Crappy 10$ logitech deluxe 250 and i can press 6 keys without a problem.

BTW its the same with mouses, You dont need anything over 15-20$ for gaming, except if You like to have more than 5 buttons or programmable keyboard [its awesome for some games].

Top Bottom