• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming TV screens - the bigger the better?

There is a honeymoon period with new sets where the increased size wows, but after a while you do become attuned to it. This means you cant go smaller, you can only go bigger.
This is not entirely true in my opinion. My last TV was a 42" and when I was shopping for a new display I wanted it to be a monitor as while I do use it on a TV stand in my lounge I don't give a shit about broadcast TV or built in speakers or any of that crap. As a result I actually ended up downsizing to 32", which for a moniitor is fairly massive...but in the TV world is average at best these days. Still I didn't feel the hit much at all, and honestly...I'm used to the smaller size again. I think part of it is that my old TV had huge bezels, whereas this monitor is basically bezeless, which makes it feel larger than it really is.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have my PC hooked up to an 85 inch TV that I upgraded from 75 to. It is in my mancave / living room and might actually be the biggest TV I can do with this setup. I have it hanging from the ceiling on a rotatable mount a few feet away from the brick fireplace/mantle thing. If I am gaming solo I face the recliner. If I am watching a movie with the family I rotate it towards the couch. Each time I go bigger and move it slightly. And each time I am convinced it is the biggest that will fit 60 -> 75 -> 85. I would need a fancy mount for anything bigger and I don't think they make them. As it is now, the TV can be shaken if the kids are going nuts in the family room above it. Up there I have an 82 inch and could easily push that to 100 or more and it is wall mounted.

But basically after 4 months with this thing I am starting to wonder if I could squeeze a 90 or 100 inch one that would give me close to full screen immersion like VR for traditional games. I could also just pull the recliner forward a bit more and achieve the same effect. I am really fine with what I have. The PS5 is hooked up to the old 75 inch in the bedroom and that is perfectly fine too. I just couldn't do 60 inch or below for gaming unless it was on an actual desk. But why the fuck would I game on a desk when I work at one? Last time I gamed at a desk was in 2009 with games like Crysis and Divine Divinity 2. Good games and all but once I put the PC in the living room, there was no turning back.

lachesis

For work, definitely color over anything else, then resolution.
For movies, color and the size.
For gaming - input lag comes first these days, then size, then color accuracy - as long as it's acceptable.

My older TV, I was jumping fresh from a CRT to a large 60" DLP/LCD Projection... around 2003 or so. I didn't think much about input lags at all. I thought "it's all electric signals, how bad can it be?" - and was quite wrong. It felt like I was swimming in the water, and I just thought it was me getting worse at playing games.

Currently have 65" C7 OLED. Although I could use bigger screen, it's plenty big for my personal viewing. I used to think "Oh I need to get a bigger screen", but once I reached 65" - I just don't feel that urge, because it's quite damn good as it is in my current setup. I may upgrade it once this one eats dust, or when I absolutely need 4k 120hz screen, maybe 75" or so. Anything bigger than that, not really sure if I want it.

For my retros, I have 17" CRT monitor & 42" crappy LCD TV. If I upgrade, I think it may be that 42" one is to go. (love the CRT, even though it's tiny) - I may just get 75" OLED and move my current 65" downstairs.

I went from playing on a 32" box crt, to a 21" lcd, back up to a 50" plasma, to what I have now - a 75" led tv. I love it. At first I wasnt sure how I would adjust to playing Halo on such a large screen but I got used to it. My dream is to eventually get up to the 85" screens size, but my wallet cannot afford that right now. If we can get a good mini led or micro led that would be perfect. I'm waiting to see how TCL's 2021 mini led tv's review. Apparently Samsung is using TCL panels this year too.

Last edited:
I game at 85 inch now and people are right, when you get a newer tv you only ever go up in size. Although, I DO feel now for the first time, that this size is big enough, but I know it will change once bigger screens become cheaper and more available.

29ilGLb.jpg

SkylineRKR

We had a 26 inch in the late 80's. It was huge.

I have a 55 inch now. The max I can store away is 65 inch but after some debating I decided to go with 55 inch again last week. I don't sit that far from it and it doesn't dominate my space. Also saved me 500 bucks on a CX. This is the first time I didn't go for a bigger screen. I think 55 is the sweet spot in my living room.

I work on a 24 inch 1440p monitor right now and its big enough.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
As a kid I was lucky to have my mom get me a 32" Zenith color tv to play and watch movies on, this was an upgrade after using my father's 15" monitor. Ever since then , getting a job I've only increased the TV size, That 32" screen lasted me for a good 10 years give or take. I eventually moved into a RCA 65" rear projector which for me was a huge upgrade at the time, remember watching lord of the rings over and over again. Then moved over to a 65" Mitsubishi which lasted another good 6 years and a divorce. I stuck around with 65" Samsung ks8000(missing dolby vision triggered me) then upgraded to a Sony x930e and recently decided to go out and get a 85" , I just don't see myself getting anything larger right now, maybe down the road if projectors increase in peak brightness and lower latency I might go that route. Still have my Sony x930e which I love.

Definitely won't be going anywhere above the 2500 nits the current tv I have, I'm blinded.

Old Empire.

32 inch sweet spot for me. Bought a Dell32 inch gaming monitor 165hz for the Series X, class so far. Bigger TV grand for single player, but smaller is better for online gaming, least in my opinion, plus bigger TVs have higher imput lag and slower frame count.

Mihos

Gold Member
There are some first person games that make me motion sick on my larger screens, but racing/ flying games and most rpgs I love on the cinema sized screens

I game at 85 inch now and people are right, when you get a newer tv you only ever go up in size. Although, I DO feel now for the first time, that this size is big enough, but I know it will change once bigger screens become cheaper and more available.

29ilGLb.jpg
It's so beautiful. I also love the bias lighting. It's a must with the brighter tv's in my opinion. I'm using govee right now and it works great.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I move between a 43" tv, a 65" tv and a 75" tv depending on the room. It depends on how far away I sit, really. I wouldn't enjoy being close to the larger one when playing but it's great from across the room.

_Ex_

It really depends on room size and the distance you sit from the screen. I game on a 32" HDTV in a small room, but I sit like 5' from it, so it's still plenty immersive enough for me. Though, I do have a 65" in the living room (for movies/TV), but I sit so far away from it, that it kind of "feels" smaller than the 32" one. It really all depends on how far you sit from the TV.

Bigger is often better. But I was wondering wether I shoukd buy a 55 or 65» lg c9, and since my budget was limited I though «well, why not just sit closer?».

So sometimes I just sit closer if I’m not with the kids :)

The c9 is a God tier TV, If you can find one go for it. There's sites that calculate viewing distance to recommend a screen size. Both 55 and 65 are awesome sizes pick what tickles your fancy.

Jeeves

I feel like 40-55" is the sweet spot for TVs. The higher you go from there the sillier it starts to look, unless maybe you live in a warehouse or something.

For PC monitors...I use a 19" one right now and it fills my field of vision pretty adequately. I could see going up to 25" before it becomes impractical.

Rawker

Insanity.

I find that I can't keep focused on enough of the view, even at 43", when playing PUBG. I'm much better when I play that on my 28" monitor.
You must have enormous eyes.

However, for every other game, I prefer a display as large as possible.

Edit: I think I misunderstood you. You do the same thing as I do. Play Pubg exclusively on the smaller monitor. Right?
Yeah bro I'm same as you.

Hunnybun

I think for 4k you don't need anything more than a 1:1 size to distance ratio. I sit about 6.5 ft from my 65" OLED and, honestly, I just don't think you need more of your view taken up than you get with that. I think beyond that, while you may be able to see more detail, you'd also just notice graphical blemishes more, so it's a wash right now. Maybe by the time the PS6 comes round it make make sense to go bigger but I wouldn't bother before then. And I REALLY hope this 8k nonsense doesn't take off by then. It's so impractical for anything other than VR.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
To me it depends on how far I sit. Too big isn't good because it requires you to move your head, like sitting close at the movie theater.

16:9 screens do feel smaller than 4:3.

Game detail also plays a part. Local splitscreen on a 16:9 requires a large TV and sitting close to it due to the amount of detail in a modern game whereas split screen goldeneye is fine with a 24" crt.

When I play competitive fps I sit real close to the screen and am leaning forward. In that situation a monitor makes sense, and with how close I sit that means no bigger than 27". 32" is just too big for a monitor, but I'm fine with 32 if I'm slightly farther back if I'm playing on console.

Two tiny screens an inch from my eyes are all I need to play games on any size screen I want. A cinema screen, check. A cinema screen floating in space, check. Etc.

Matt_Fox

Two tiny screens an inch from my eyes are all I need to play games on any size screen I want. A cinema screen, check. A cinema screen floating in space, check. Etc.

I will say that the occasional negative comment about 'having to move your head' applies 100 fold to VR. You do nothing but move your head. Not sure how good it is for your longterm vision either having a screen placed right up against your eyeball.

It's fun in short bursts but I'd much rather watch movies and game on a big screen than a headset.

CyberChulo

Since WFH started, I game/work on a 55" 4k display on my dining room table sitting about 2 ft away from the screen. In my living room, I sit 9ft away from a 75" Sony set and also a 106" projector screen when I watch movies.

CAPSOL

For me it depends on viewing distance and type of game I'm playing .

I like to be close to the small- medium sized PC screen when playing shooters, racers or isometric games.

If its a story driven game with lots of cut scenes, I'll sit on my couch around 8 feet from my 77' TV and also make use of my surround sound system.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

For me it depends on viewing distance and type of game I'm playing .

I like to be close to the small- medium sized PC screen when playing shooters, racers or isometric games.

If its a story driven game with lots of cut scenes, I'll sit on my couch around 8 feet from my 77' TV and also make use of my surround sound system.

Yep, just last night I completed Yakuza 0 (LTTP I know!).

It's got a lot of cut scenes, and I mean huge amounts. The big screen definitely helps those moments shine, you can see every pore on the characters faces.

29ilGLb.jpg
I want that 85" TV... in a few years maybe (I got a 55 incher not too long ago).

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'll be turning fifty next year and when I first experienced gaming as a child, it was quite something to see the boxy family television - until then a passive device which obediently broadcast the three channels of the day - suddenly transformed into something interactive. It was me making that little white bat slide up and down on the television screen... what wonderful witchcraft this was!

In the late 70s / early 80s if your TV set was above 20" your family were doing well. Even as a child my brothers and I sat on the floor close to the screen, I think we wanted it to be bigger. And bigger it got. Year by year, decade by decade.

I remember getting my first 42" screen and connecting my PlayStation 2 - thinking good god this is enormous. Gaming wont get better than this.

There is a honeymoon period with new sets where the increased size wows, but after a while you do become attuned to it. This means you cant go smaller, you can only go bigger. Over the past 15 years I've gone from a 55" to a 65", to a 75" and an 82", and I currently have an 85" screen.

I'd like to say I'm content but I suspect that if or when manufacturers start putting out 90"+ screens in an affordable price range that I'll probably bite.

How about you? Does screen size matter or not? What does the future hold, are we at the maximum size or will screens continue to grow?

8KLlSel.jpg

hDGGBqw.jpg
I own a 40" 1080p display so I'm quite modest in my tech display ownership, but what really grabbed me was the blast from the past with Teletext pictures. Those were the days.

intbal

How about you? Does screen size matter or not? What does the future hold, are we at the maximum size or will screens continue to grow?

I want to stand in front of a screen so large that Geralt and I are the same height when I play Witcher 3. I would consider that to be a "fully immersive experience". And probably the largest gaming experience that anyone could ever reasonably want.

tygertrip

Our PC and consoles are hooked to an 82" Samsung. In our case, it works out really well. This is because it is trivial to push our couch further or closer, so that is how we adjust depending on the application (game, movie, browsing, work, whatever). Wireless everything, of course! The couch thing works out really good for VR, also.

Top Bottom