• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Gears 5 Is Arguably The Best Looking Game of All Time.

thelastword

Banned
Nah. Driveclub is still the only game where I legit thought I was watching real dashcam footage.

ONCEWF5.gif
Out of many games this gen, easily, this is just one of them......Gears is not even in the conversation.....

LostDonkey

Cant wait to try this tonight. And gtfo with that Driveclub shit. On any decent size TV the game is a horrible blurry jagged mess bar the very rare moments when all the weather effects come together to smear the screen so much youd think your roof was leaking.

Constant trolling of Xbox threads by the same people when is something going to be done so we can actually have decent conversations.

FH4 pisses all over Driveclub and thats just one game. Let it go ffs. Youve been proven wrong time and time again with screenshots and videos.

Journey

Banned
How is that possible when it looks exactly like Gears 4?

and thats not a knock on Gears 4, its a decent looking game

but best looking of all time? huh....what?....Im assuming its just click bait to get ppl to watch their video

shoot, this looked better and its several years old

At half the framerate and a quarter the resolution haha, that game was already met by Ryse: Son of Rome. lol

Last edited:
on a graphical and technical view this game impresses .....seamless integration between all the x1x/x1s and pc platforms and im here having a blast with 3 other buddies in awe in this game....its snappy...its good looking and i have not even dug into the MP stuff yet

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cant wait to try this tonight. And gtfo with that Driveclub shit. On any decent size TV the game is a horrible blurry jagged mess bar the very rare moments when all the weather effects come together to smear the screen so much youd think your roof was leaking.

Constant trolling of Xbox threads by the same people when is something going to be done so we can actually have decent conversations.

FH4 pisses all over Driveclub and thats just one game. Let it go ffs. Youve been proven wrong time and time again with screenshots and videos.
Stop being a lost donkey driveclub nailed the gfx
So did gears 5 child

pr0cs

It's pretty amazing, 4k/60 with hdr on is a pretty amazing feat. There have been a lot of great looking games this Gen. To me rdr2 is a better looking game overall but it's hdr implementation is shitty and at half the framerate it's no wonder it looks better.
The 60 fps in gears cannot be understated, people watching streams and saying "I haven't been impressed" really shouldn't have an opinion, sitting live and seeing what they have pulled off on the oneX is really impressive

Roberts

I haven't had anything to do with PCs for a long time, so I can't comment on that, but when it comes to consoles, from a technical standpoint Gears 5 looks next-level amazing on my Xbox One X/LG OLED set-up. I've played most AAA games on both ps4 pro and xbox one x, but the fluidity, the light and the general feel is unmatched here. Sure, some games might have better water effects, some might have better facial animation or whatever, but as a whole, this one gives us a pretty good idea what to expect early next gen.

The funny thing is that Gears series never really tried to be photo realistic - it mixes realism and cartoony. And I really like that. I rather have this than uncanny valley effect that some other games have. Like Jeremy Davies character in GoW, a few characters in Quantum Break and so on.

P.S. Also, I don't think the screenshots do justice on how amazing it looks in motion with HDR.

Last edited by a moderator:

TacosNSalsa

I'm playing on a 2080 at 1440p and I will that it is ONE of the best looking games..THE best looking? I dunno that's definitely an argument to be had ..I feel like I'd have to play something similar at similar settings to make that judgement . It is one f*cking hell of a looker no doubt . I'm going to DL it on the X1X later just to compare the two . Also this game finally got it through my thick skull that UItra settings is for screenshots and High settings is for gameplay . They have a little demo thing where you can switch freely between the 2 and see the difference or in the case of Ultra vs High kinda see the difference if you tilt your head to the side at a certain angle , squint and don't look directly at the screen to notice .

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm playing on a 2080 at 1440p and I will that it is ONE of the best looking games..THE best looking? I dunno that's definitely an argument to be had ..I feel like I'd have to play something similar at similar settings to make that judgement . It is one f*cking hell of a looker no doubt . I'm going to DL it on the X1X later just to compare the two . Also this game finally got it through my thick skull that UItra settings is for screenshots and High settings is for gameplay . They have a little demo thing where you can switch freely between the 2 and see the difference or in the case of Ultra vs High kinda see the difference if you tilt your head to the side at a certain angle , squint and don't look directly at the screen to notice .
ULTRA MODE 2080TI OR GO HOME

GermanZepp

Any sentence that finishes "of all time" is purposely placed to kinda trigger people and, when we are talking about graphics is hilarious cause maybe in the next 6 months there are going to be new benchmarks. EDIT: The game looks awesome tough, characters kinda ugly.

Last edited:

Three

Sure, some games might have better water effects, some might have better facial animation or whatever, but as a whole, this one gives us a pretty good idea what to expect early next gen.

The funny thing is that Gears series never really tried to be photo realistic - it mixes realism and cartoony. And I really like that.
I just don't see it. What does it have going for it instead? outside being 60fps which most PC games are higher than I don't see what's special about it let alone 'best looking game of all time'. If this is considered next gen then I will be severely disappointed in next gen.

Last edited:

stranno

It does look good indeed, but best looking game of all time? Cmon.

It lacks SSAO. Even cheap GOW clones like Quantum Theory had that in 360.

e4B2D4z.png

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
OMG, it's like an entirely new generation :messenger_open_mouth:

LOL at people bringing up The Order and DriveClub :ROFLMAO:

No need uncharted, God of War, etc are on another level lol Gaming bolt to the rescue though lol 😂😂😂

Jelly at the ppl going to play this on pc maxed out though. That must be a treat. I'll be playing tonight on my S 😁 pm me anybody want to link up for mp.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure this is gonna be short lived. Death Stranding looks to be ready to take that crown. I still feel God of War might be just as good if not better. I haven't gone through all of gears 5 though.

I don't wanna spoil anything, but does anybody else feel the graphics change for the better once you start playing as Cait in the fishing village?

😍 ohh ma Gawd this thread is going to be interesting. C'mon, regulars..expose yaselfs, you know you itching to do so.

Back to the game, I haven't seen anything like it on the X so far. On the OLED with all the bells and whistles on..work of art any direction you turn 🔥😍

This game on OLED and Xbox One X looks simply stunning and I played some of the best looking games of this generation on both Pro and X. I’m not sure if it’s the best looking game of all time since I’m still early into it, but it’s definitely up there. You also have to consider that it seems like it runs at a normally consistent 60fps which is impressive in itself. Games like this is why I don’t think next generation will look that much better.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Stop being a lost donkey driveclub nailed the gfx
So did gears 5 child
I never played Driveclub, but I'm guessing from these comments that somehow it's even better than Forza 7...or FH4?

On topic. I had a couple of times where I just sat and panned the camera slowly. The environments are fantastic. I really like Kait's character model...but other's like Del and JD are just kinda....samey? You can tell they put extra work into her.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yo what ever happened to tht guy tht use to do the game tech breakdowns? Not from Digital Foundry, that other guy who was a gamer? Damn I forgot his name either way is he banned from this site? If anyone remembers lmk because I don't see him post anymore. I like to listen to his take instead of all the fans on all sides that make this claim every new game lol

Last edited:

bryo4321

I had to turn setting up to insane just to get it to work the 2080ti under 100fps which I couldn’t believe because it looks so good. Can’t wait to dig in to the game today.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I had to turn setting up to insane just to get it to work the 2080ti under 100fps which I couldn’t believe because it looks so good. Can’t wait to dig in to the game today.
Jealous...

I wanna see how it looks on PC :messenger_pensive:

I think it looks amazing...but I can't help but feel I'm missing out. I need like 3 grand and an "I got nothing to lose" attitude to go down that road though.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I wouldn't put it in the top 5 lol.

I'm also sure the talk will change as soon as they start showing more footage of TLOU2. Now that game looks insane.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Last of Us Part II (Based on what I've seen so far)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Order 1886
I've never played the order 1886 but I've heard good things, well, not related to the gameplay. The graphics are good though.
Red Dead...if we're just talking looks...it's definitely up there
Uncharted 4 would be up there, but I'm docking it because of the 30 fps
Horizon Zero Dawn did look fantastic, but the facial animations are not on par with Gears 5. I will concede that you only really see those shine in cutscenes while HZD has them throughout with the dialogue tree stuff.

Honestly, if you're not considering 60 fps in the aesthetic critique then I think we are just judging on different planes all together.
60 fps makes a huge difference and without it a game is automatically knocked down a tier IMO.

Roberts

I just don't see it. What does it have going for it instead? outside being 60fps which most PC games are higher than I don't see what's special about it let alone 'best looking game of all time'. If this is considered next gen then I will be severely disappointed in next gen.

I'm not sure I can describe it with words, but it felt special to load up the campaign and see it with your own eyes (instead of looking at screenshots and gameplay videos). It felt like I just witnessed an evolution in gaming graphics. Also, it has polish and consistency - even in the biggest AAA games there are always little glitches, wonky shadows and other inconsistencies in graphics. Haven't encountered them in Gears so far.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So this....is the power....of Xbox One....whoah....

jk I'm happy you Xbros got a badass game

H4ze

Gears 4 wasn't my cup of tea to be honest, but damn, I really look forward to Gears 5 thanks to GamePass.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I've never played the order 1886 but I've heard good things, well, not related to the gameplay. The graphics are good though.
Red Dead...if we're just talking looks...it's definitely up there
Uncharted 4 would be up there, but I'm docking it because of the 30 fps
Horizon Zero Dawn did look fantastic, but the facial animations are not on par with Gears 5. I will concede that you only really see those shine in cutscenes while HZD has them throughout with the dialogue tree stuff.

Honestly, if you're not considering 60 fps in the aesthetic critique then I think we are just judging on different planes all together.
60 fps makes a huge difference and without it a game is automatically knocked down a tier IMO.

Looks like you're just looking for reasons to put these games under Gears.

HZD. Outside of character facial animations, the entire character animation is far superior than Gears. Same games for TLOU Part II and Uncharted 4.

Environment detail gears is great, but they're arguably not as good as the other games that I mentioned.

60fps is better than 30fps in action games, when we're talking about the overall presentation, but that alone there's way more to it than that.

Also, it's very likely that these games (aside from the Order 1886) will receive res and frame-rate bumps when these games are released on the PS5

Top Bottom