• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Gears 5 Is Arguably The Best Looking Game of All Time.

DavidGzz

Why do people not realize they speak of the technical feat and not personal opinion. I think Dark Souls 3 is the most beautiful game but that is because I LOVE it's aesthetic. I know Gears 5 stomps a mudhole in it technically.

pawel86ck

Banned

I could tell game looks better compared to Gears Of War 4, but after watching Digital Foundry analysis I'm surprised how many details were added/improved. LOL at people who say Gears 5 looks exactly like Gears Of War 4, it shows some people in this thread just have no idea what they talking about or maybe they are just salty PS4 fanboys who dont like the fact Gears 5 is not only a massive leap compared to already great looking GOW4 but also runs at 60fps unlike AAA sony exclusives.

Last edited:

Shmunter

How is that possible when it looks exactly like Gears 4?

and thats not a knock on Gears 4, its a decent looking game

but best looking of all time? huh....what?....Im assuming its just click bait to get ppl to watch their video

shoot, this looked better and its several years old

I wish gears 5 deployed all that rendering prowess onto a more photo realistic pallet. It’s obviously subjective and very personal, but Gears 1 is where it’s at for me as far as the definitive gears look, gritty and muted. The sugary candy crush colors today are not my jam.

Last edited:

bryo4321

I could tell game looks better compared to Gears Of War 4, but after watching Digital Foundry analysis I'm surprised how many details were added/improved. LOL at people who say Gears 5 looks exactly like Gears Of War 4, it shows some people in this thread just have no idea what they talking about or maybe they are just salty PS4 fanboys who dont like the fact Gears 5 is not only a massive leap compared to already great looking GOW4 but also runs at 60fps unlike AAA sony exclusives.
B-b-But horizon zero dawn, uncharted, god of warrrr, and a game that isn’t even out!!! Gahhhhhhhhhh *head explodes*

MultiCore

If you guys aren't judging the game in HDR, you're not even aware of what it looks like.

'HDR compatible' doesn't count either.

HDR 1000, 21:9 at 200hz makes this game an incredible sight.

Lighting, the glow of your armor, the flash of explosions, eyes in the dark, sparks, lava, rocket thrust... You wouldn't even believe the difference it makes unless you see it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think you can say it's the best looking game on XBOX, (arguably). Best looking game of all times, no......Funny enough, Gaming Bolt had that headline, but they didn't exactly say that in the actual video...…..They just highlighted some common graphical features on PC, like AO, SSR, Shadows. Bloom, Motion Blur, MSAA and ultra textures which is common on PC, pretty much as the reasons it looked good to them...….Frankly, what I got from Gaming-Bolt is that the PC version of Gears is much more impressive than the console versions...….That was the biggest takeaway tbh. I think the headline was just used for the hits and it worked, because some people are now pretending that Gears just won a Siggraph Award or an AIAS award for best graphics, or that it just won the majority of best graphics awards from year end publications........Nothing like this has happened though, all that's happened is that Gaming Bolt said it's arguably the best looking game of all time in a headline and people are all-ready to put the crown on...…

At least with God Of War, they said it's the best looking game this generation within seconds of the video, categorically. With Gears, they simply say it's the best looking game on the XBOX platform and is one of the best looking games this gen.....

Listen to what they say in the video rather than what the title says, the title is a copy and paste affair.....

Also, I wonder what choice words some folk had for Gaming-Bolt when the thread was made for God of War last year.....That thread should be interesting, can't find it though.....Lots of folk seem to love Gaming-Bolt now, even if they don't watch the video or listen to it's content......

Thts Microsofts plan to lump pc and console together and have ppl comparing its pc counterpart to other console games.
Why do people not realize they speak of the technical feat and not personal opinion. I think Dark Souls 3 is the most beautiful game but that is because I LOVE it's aesthetic. I know Gears 5 stomps a mudhole in it technically.

Ppl do understand this and it has nothing really on Uc4. I don't mention God of War or Horizon bcus thy don't have mp aspects. Uncharted is tht graphics king and just does so much. I don't know why ppl are even mentioning tlou2 it isn't out yet and it won't even be close in comparison. Uncharted 4 BTW does 60fps on mp but drops resolution I think to like 900p.

BTW besides the trash running I hate in Gears I'm pleasantly surprised with Gears 5 mp, I'm having a ball with it. Thy balanced the weapons well and its finally not a shotgun fest like Gears 4. If u hvnt tryed it give Gears 5 mp a chance it's fun and makes me miss Resistance mp 😑

Last edited:

I'm nobody

What The Coalition has achieved with Gears 5 is nothing short of extraordinary. A lot of work has clearly gone into optimizing all three platforms according to their strengths and improving the visual fidelity compared to Gears 4.

The base Xbox One version does a decent job of proving a great Gears experience although with performance compromises. The Xbox One X, too, excels with phenomenal adherence to 60fps and a large operating resolution but it’s the PC version that is truly head and shoulders above the console versions. Featuring a wide variety of options and the inclusion of Ultra Textures really sets it apart from other platforms. Regardless of whatever platform you play the game on, you can be assured of one thing. Gears of War is back with a bang!

I think you are easy pleased and never played God of war or uncharted or horizon or the order 1886

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you guys aren't judging the game in HDR, you're not even aware of what it looks like.

Lighting, the glow of your armor, the flash of explosions, eyes in the dark, sparks, lava, rocket thrust... You wouldn't even believe the difference it makes unless you see it.
200 lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It looks good, but I'm not seeing "best ever" at all. I'm sure some the technical effects are impressive for various reasons, but it looks kind of "meh" to me compared to the other heavy hitters of the generation.

rashbeep

Banned
I found god of war better looking than gears but they both look great.

I've started to look at gears on the xbx and it looks very similar to GoW technically

Factor in the better IQ, framerate, and HDR and it certainly becomes the more impressive package

pr0cs

Yep, it's why I really didn't bother with the pc version, the oneX version really is a showcase for hdr and atmos, the hdr is fantastic

MultiCore

Yep, it's why I really didn't bother with the pc version, the oneX version really is a showcase for hdr and atmos, the hdr is fantastic
If you've got better hardware than the X in your PC, it might be worth dragging the PC over to the TV for this one.

pr0cs

If you've got better hardware than the X in your PC, it might be worth dragging the PC over to the TV for this one.
I have both hooked up to the tv but my pc isn't hooked up to an hdr port on the tv. I'm sure the texture and geometry will be better on the pc but with no hdr and atmos on the pc the xbonex is the better choice.

eot

Banned
The pre-simulated physics animations seem similar to what Episode 2 did a decade ago. Surprised more games haven't done it since tbh.

I have both hooked up to the tv but my pc isn't hooked up to an hdr port on the tv. I'm sure the texture and geometry will be better on the pc but with no hdr and atmos on the pc the xbonex is the better choice.

Gears 5 PC page says hdr and Atmos are supported. It wrong?

pr0cs

Gears 5 PC page says hdr and Atmos are supported. It wrong?

It might work, I haven't tried hdr on the pc in a while, last time it was a PITA and clunky as hell.
I suspect once I make it thru the campaign with my RL friends who only have xboxen then I'll compare pc with hdr with Xbox with hdr

Jigsaah

Gold Member

You're making me jealous, I can't run it at that kinda quality. It looks spectacular on the X...I can only imagine PC.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
"Best looking game of all time?" No, because Gears 5 still looks like a video game.

Naughty Dog, on the other hand, are approaching photorealism with The Last of Us Part II.

YFFP314.gif

oDErIXH.gif
Crysis 3 looked like that and it was released in 2013 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
crysis3_psycho_lampzljxb.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It looks amazing, but honestly what about the snow and mountains? Sometimes I walk down a path of snow and see a bunch of very blocky/bland textures. The mountains off in the distance. Some look better than others. It’s a beautiful game for sure, but I don’t think we are at that level where it shines in all corners. There are parts of GTA and Sleeping Dogs that look amazing while some back ally looks like shit.

Last edited:
Lol I was just messing around. I'm very seldom serious on here. If you see me say something ridiculous, mean, or white knightish, then chances are I'm just kidding 😜
Haha I thought you were just messing around. But I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Its hard to tell sometimes on the internet.

BigLee74

More and more people say Gears 5 is one of the best looking games currently👍.

Only that video is Gears of war 4 😂

Playing it now, the game looks great, no denying it. But some of the environmental reflection maps used in windows/puddles are so off (as in different environment entirely) its jarring. Sticks out badly, especially playing this right after Hitman 2.

It looks amazing, but honestly what about the snow and mountains? Sometimes I walk down a path of snow and see a bunch of very blocky/bland textures. The mountains off in the distance. Some look better than others. It’s a beautiful game for sure, but I don’t think we are at that level where it shines in all corners. There are parts of GTA and Sleeping Dogs that look amazing while some back ally looks like shit.

I'm still on act 2 but I can already tell that the open world snow areas are the weak point graphically in the game. Though the snow deformation is nice some places have too many 2d backgrounds such as mountains, hills and trees. The reflections on the frozen lakes have artifacts like dithering and some strange motion blur that look really off.
There's this moment when after opening a gate I was surprised by this big 2d mountain staring at me...and the artwork was really low res which helped stand out even more and that was unecessary and disapointing considering the low complexity of the scene. Clearly the team needed more time to adress these stuff.

But when the game goes back to more confined snow areas (like the urban environments) the engine shows what is really capable of.

longdi

Banned
Maybe it is art direction or the animations or UE templates, Gow5 still looks pretty much same-y. I dont think it is prettiest game today, not even close.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
While always been a fan of Gears, I've only liked the horde mode and the campaign because of the low ttk in the franchise. I'm really surprised how much I love versus in this game.

And the graphics. My god the graphics. It's a beauty on a 2070s. Have never seen such insane graphics before in a game.

I'm not qualified to argue about this as I only have the XBOX One version and while it looks nice, it just appears soft. Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 looks better to me by far. That's about all I can compare with as I don't usually get the latest games (or hardware), so I'm always behind the curve.

I would love to see it on a high end PC and I bet it looks amazing there.

Thaedolus

This is one instance where screenshots really don't do the game justice. You have to see this on a >100hz gsync/freesync monitor to fully appreciate it. There's zero stuttering, zero lag, not a hint of jank transitioning between gameplay and cutscenes...it's pretty incredible. If MS keeps this kind of PC optimized output going, I'm keeping gamepass forever.

Last edited:

Three

I'm still on act 2 but I can already tell that the open world snow areas are the weak point graphically in the game. Though the snow deformation is nice some places have too many 2d backgrounds such as mountains, hills and trees. The reflections on the frozen lakes have artifacts like dithering and some strange motion blur that look really off.
There's this moment when after opening a gate I was surprised by this big 2d mountain staring at me...and the artwork was really low res which helped stand out even more and that was unecessary and disapointing considering the low complexity of the scene. Clearly the team needed more time to adress these stuff.

But when the game goes back to more confined snow areas (like the urban environments) the engine shows what is really capable of.
The dithering/blur effect is likely because it's using temporal reprojection and is not native 4k if you are playing on an X.

Last edited:

what kind of a rig do you have that you are hitting a sustained 200 fps in this game? or are you running it at 480p with everything dialed down to low

i'm playing on ultra at 3440x1440 and getting like 80 fps average. game looks and runs amazing. only complaint so far would be that vegetation clips through the player model

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crysis 3 looked like that and it was released in 2013 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
crysis3_psycho_lampzljxb.gif

Oh come one... Crysis 3 is an incredible looking game, especially for when it came out, but TLOUII is on a different level than that.

sendit

I wish gears 5 deployed all that rendering prowess onto a more photo realistic pallet. It’s obviously subjective and very personal, but Gears 1 is where it’s at for me as far as the definitive gears look, gritty and muted. The sugary candy crush colors today are not my jam.

It isn't just the pallet......Its the way objects interact within the game that set this back. The outdated animations.
I'm not qualified to argue about this as I only have the XBOX One version and while it looks nice, it just appears soft. Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 looks better to me by far. That's about all I can compare with as I don't usually get the latest games (or hardware), so I'm always behind the curve.

I would love to see it on a high end PC and I bet it looks amazing there.

Playing Gears 5 on a 1080 Ti. Also have Horizon Zero Dawn. Horizon Zero Dawn looks and moves better than Gears 5.

This level of detail was back in 2017:

Last edited:

Thaedolus

what kind of a rig do you have that you are hitting a sustained 200 fps in this game? or are you running it at 480p with everything dialed down to low

i'm playing on ultra at 3440x1440 and getting like 80 fps average. game looks and runs amazing. only complaint so far would be that vegetation clips through the player model

I’m running a 1080ti, i7 7700k at 1440p, and getting around 110-120hz on ultra. I would imagine a 9900k with 2080ti could hit 200hz no problem

Top Bottom