• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Sony and PS5's performance in Japan is becoming a grave concern

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Lol holy fuck this coming from the guy that wrote/writes endless 2 paragraph blogs especially for the fanboys on N4G.

GTFO lol

Imagine thinking that actual factual gaming news is "2 paragraph blogs" and actually saying that unironically to defend 2,000 words of fictional and ill-informed bullcrap disguised as a personal opinion that does "not necessarily represent the views of" the site to rile up the fanboys and grab some clicks. 😂

When your own site has to explicitly decline responsibility for what you write, you know something's off. 😂

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Imagine thinking that actual factual gaming news is "2 paragraph blogs" and actually saying that unironically to defend 2,000 words of fictional and ill-informed bullcrap disguised as a personal opinion that does "not necessarily represent the views of" the site to rile up the fanboys and grab some clicks. 😂
I wasn’t defending this article, just merely pointing out that you of all people shouldn’t be criticising anyone.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I wasn’t defending this article, just merely pointing out that you of all people shouldn’t be criticising anyone.

Yeah. Writing actual gaming news instead of spamming muh console war opinion and "grave concerns" around is such a terrible thing. It totally deprives me of the right to criticize bullshitters 😂

Keep going, you're a riot, Mr. Putin. 😂

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It would be a portable ps4 and be a ps4 Pro whilst docked. Don't have to support it with exclusive games as all ps4 (digital) games would be playable.

Even if not being a ps4 pro docked it would be great.
SteamDeck and Switch are showing current gen games can be played portable.

Im sure next year or so the tech can downscale PS5 games into 720p screen Pretty well

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games and consoles weren’t ready for a proper launch year Sony has big goals and wants them met so whenever I hear about consoles not doing well in Japan I think about how Xbox is doing which is a road nobody wants to go down.

Woopah

A change is happening but we haven't seen the full impact just yet. The success of Switch software sales hasn't really been reflected in it third party support until this year, so likewise we won;t really see what the impact of PS5 software sales will be on PlayStation for several years.

Are there any comparisons to back your claims? Not saying you're wrong but 3rd party titles tend to sell way less than 1st party Nintendo exclusives on Nintendo consoles like the Switch
3rd party titles on all consoles tend to sell less than 1st party Nintendo exclusives. 3rd party games can be successful on Nintendo consoles depending on the franchise/genre and if the publisher has invested in growing an audience. Below are the sales of some of the multiplatform games released in Japan in 2020:

[NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 <SPT> (Konami) {2020.07.09} (¥6.980) - 312.878 / NEW (112.878 <65,73%>)
[PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 <SPT> (Konami) {2020.07.09} (¥7.980) - 174.143 / NEW (83.829 <71,64%>)

[PS4] Persona 5 Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800) - 171.883 / NEW (109.064 <76,51%>)
[NSW] Persona 5 Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800) - 81.439 / NEW (48.959 <62,87%>)

[PS4] Trials of Mana # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.04.24} (¥5.980) - 156.329 / NEW (88.580 <92,60%>)
[NSW] Trials of Mana # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.04.24} (¥5.980) - 111.258 / NEW (68.135 <82,67%>)

[NSW] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2020.03.26} (¥7.800) - 154.371 / NEW (68.655 <75,94%>)
[PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2020.03.26} (¥7.800) - 148.116 / NEW (81.017 <88,86%>)

[NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin # <RPG> (Marvelous) {2020.11.12} (¥4.980) - 131.121 / NEW (39.748 <98,51%>)
[PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin # <RPG> (Marvelous) {2020.11.12} (¥4.980) - 80.011 / NEW (24.657 <98,07%>)

[NSW] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.10.29} (¥5.980) - 78.263 / NEW (56.730 <64,64%>)
[PS4] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.10.29} (¥5.980) - 64.173 / NEW (49.463 <62,93%>)

[NSW] Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2020.09.08} (¥3.600) - 68.938 / NEW (9.435 <20,42%>)
[PS4] Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition <ADV> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2020.10.08} (¥3.600) - 2.768 / NEW (510 <5,56%>)

[NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 <PZL> (Sega) {2020.12.10} (¥4.990) - 68.717 / NEW (26.500 <51,35%>)
[PS4] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 <PZL> (Sega) {2020.12.10} (¥4.990) - 5.590 / NEW (2.551 <27,27%>)
[PS5] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 <PZL> (Sega) {2020.12.10} (¥4.990) - 1.160 / NEW (476 <12,00%>)

[NSW] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800) - 65.853 / NEW (50.090 <82,22%>)
[PS4] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800) - 38.205 / NEW (30.161 <75,41%>)

[PS4] FIFA 21 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2020.10.09} (¥7.909) - 57.546 / NEW (34.406 <57,12%>)
[NSW] FIFA 21: Legacy Edition <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2020.10.09} (¥5.091) - 41.862 / NEW (12.236 <32,89%>)

I hope the moment comes when you realise, accept or admit the Switch is a portable that outputs to TV and you're doing an unfair comparison with home only consoles. You'd save us all this unnecessary warring. I hope a lot of people understand this actually.

If you want to do a fair comparison, compare it to other handhelds. Or at least, a handheld and console combined, since this is what Nintendo is trying to achieve with this thing sales-wise. They know their portables are their money makers. It doesn't need a genius to see it. Look at their sales history. It's all there.

Stop winding people up.

Give me a Nintendo non-portable, home-only console, then we can talk. Gotta compare apples to apples.
They are both dedicated video game devices so it is not unfair to compare them. Is it fair to say that the PS4 outsold the 3DS worldwide? It is fair to say that right now the PS5 is outselling the Switch in the UK? Of course it is.
They can't compare PS5/XBS, so they're trying to use a portable console (facepalm), which accounts for 24% of consumer spend in the console industry.

I wonder what will they try when PS5 outsells NSW + XBS combined in FY22.

FY00

GB 18.86 M

PS2 9.20 M

FY01

PS2 18.07 M

GB 4.70 M

Millions of consoles unsold at the end of Q1

mkh4qHe.jpeg

HsX82UK.jpeg

Consequences

LbM3bIl.jpeg
Could you share the source of your GB sales figures please. Those numbers don't look right to me. Unless you are using the fiscal year of the PS2 for both platforms rather than comparing the fiscal years of each platform?

Also sell in is always higher than sell through. The 2nd image is not a consequence of the 1st, but a consequence of FY22 lacking an Animal Crossing size hit.

1st of all theres alot more than 3 exclusives lol.

You cant say stuff like “barely any advertisement 1st game was stuck on the very expensive vita…..” And not count Gravity Rush 2 as an exclusive…

Or The Last Guardian, random paragraph about its development struggle and not count it as an exclusive. It still counts as an exclusive game lol.

Final Fantasy 7 remake, “timed exclusive”. Its still only on Playstation for now and no news of it releasing anywhere else atm.
Shadow of the Collosus is still an exclusive and Dark Cloud got a sequel.

Sakura wars doesnt even get a mention in your list etc.
Neither does Everybody’s Golf
Or Street Fighter 5 which is a pretty big title.

To me its pretty simple. Nintendo is dominating in Japan because its portable. Its not all about Nintendo releasing banging Japanese exclusives. Or Playstation only putting efforts into the Big blockbusters.

Yes I love the effort Nintendo is putting in Japan with its smaller titles like Crayon Shin Chan etc but I think if they released the same games on a pure console the Japanese Market wouldnt care as much.

Year by year its clear the Japanese market is going away from Console more towards mobile and portable. Doesnt really matter what Playstation or Nintenodo do, console games wont outsell portable games apart from rare occasions.

The number 1 game on the Chart is Minecraft, which doesnt get the same love as the PS4 version because its not a portable. Number 4 is Mario Kart 8 which is practically the same as the Wii U and it didnt get close to the same numbers as its console version. Or number 8 in Smash bros. Because these versions are portable. If the Switch was a console the Japanese Market wouldnt care just like the Wii U.

Infact Nintendo consoles tend to do worst in Japan than the rest of the world.

The Saturn outold the N64 in Japan. The gamecube sold terribly in Japan and was saved by the US market. Nintendo’s best selling console the Wii only outsold Playstations worst console ( the PS3) by 2million. But they always sell amazingly with their handhelds.

Nintendo done an amazing job of making a hybrid and are now doing a even better job with there efforts in Japan, but it wouldn’t be close if it wasn’t a hybrid.

This generation has had a resurgence in JRPG’s for the PS4 and Switch but the Japanese market cares more about Mobile and portable games.

Heres another list of Japanese centric exclusives for the PS4:
Repeating Playstation hasnt made any effort apart from its blockbusters like God of War is ignorant.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Border Break
City Shrouded in Shadow - Namco
Crows: Burning Edge
Natsuiro High School Seisyun Hakusyo
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
Date A Live: Ren Dystopia
Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2
Genkai Tokki: Castle Panzers
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone
A-Train Express
Full Metal Panic! Fight: Who Dares Wins
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon
Sorcer Striker (Mahou Daisakusen)
Tear: Owari to Hajimari no Shizuku
Dream Club: Host Girls on Stage

Plus loads more lol

Also on PC
Tokyo xanadu ex
DJMAX Respect
Daydreamer: Awakened Edition

Upcoming:

Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!!
Gungrave

These games plus the games I mentioned above shows they have released alot of Japanese centric games, its just they are not portable and thats why they are not as popular. Just like Minecraft is Switch’s number 1 selling game this week but the PS4 version isn’t even in the top 30
1st of all theres alot more than 3 exclusives lol.
Alright lets hear it
You cant say stuff like “barely any advertisement 1st game was stuck on the very expensive vita…..” And not count Gravity Rush 2 as an exclusive…
i counted both games and the remaster and yes they barely advertised the 1st game and the 2nd game i saw about 3 ads for it on toonami and thats about it sony didnt even advertise the game in there own store.
r The Last Guardian, random paragraph about its development struggle and not count it as an exclusive. It still counts as an exclusive game lol.
counted it as well
Final Fantasy 7 remake, “timed exclusive”. Its still only on Playstation for now and no news of it releasing anywhere else atm.
pc leak back in june https://in.ign.com/pc/161029/news/f...release-date-epic-games-store-exclusive-steam.
Shadow of the Collosus is still an exclusive and Dark Cloud got a sequel.
The studio that make those games doesnt exist anymore and this thread is about the future of JP games and what the ps5 may or may not get in the future you mentioned shadow of the collosus and dark cloud is about as relevant as MS fans mentioned viva pinata. Current games that have a chance of being made still, getting a sequel or has a chance of staying exclusive to playstation is what I counted.
Sakura wars doesnt even get a mention in your list etc.
Neither does Everybody’s Golf
Or Street Fighter 5 which is a pretty big title.
you didnt list them and SF5 is on pc in fact most of the SF pro players play on pc since sony never fixed the built in frame delay and poor pvp netcode one of the top players for SF in general said this.

To me its pretty simple. Nintendo is dominating in Japan because its portable. Its not all about Nintendo releasing banging Japanese exclusives. Or Playstation only putting efforts into the Big blockbusters.
sales charts say other wise
Yes I love the effort Nintendo is putting in Japan with its smaller titles like Crayon Shin Chan etc but I think if they released the same games on a pure console the Japanese Market wouldnt care as much.
Persona 5 could be on a handheld and it would break insane records in japan alone but it released on console and sold well to the jp audience.
Year by year its clear the Japanese market is going away from Console more towards mobile and portable. Doesnt really matter what Playstation or Nintenodo do, console games wont outsell portable games apart from rare occasions.
So were does PC fit in this hypotheses there not playing on laptops or all in ones in japan they have full size desktop pc .
The number 1 game on the Chart is Minecraft, which doesnt get the same love as the PS4 version because its not a portable. Number 4 is Mario Kart 8 which is practically the same as the Wii U and it didnt get close to the same numbers as its console version. Or number 8 in Smash bros. Because these versions are portable. If the Switch was a console the Japanese Market wouldnt care just like the Wii U.
Switch version of minecraft is the closer version to what the pc gets and theres way you can use mods on it that you cant on the ps4 version. MK8D is a full upgrade over 8 re worked most of the phyics and added multiple modes Smash ult is the same thing and even more of a re imagine then smash 4 you cant even compare the two.
Infact Nintendo consoles tend to do worst in Japan than the rest of the world.

The Saturn outold the N64 in Japan. The gamecube sold terribly in Japan and was saved by the US market. Nintendo’s best selling console the Wii only outsold Playstations worst console ( the PS3) by 2million. But they always sell amazingly with their handhelds.
super famicom, ds, 3ds and wiiu say other wise saturn outsold n64 because it got str8 arcade ports in japan.
Nintendo done an amazing job of making a hybrid and are now doing a even better job with there efforts in Japan, but it wouldn’t be close if it wasn’t a hybrid.

This generation has had a resurgence in JRPG’s for the PS4 and Switch but the Japanese market cares more about Mobile and portable games.
the highest selling switch version is the docked one and not the lite................
Heres another list of Japanese centric exclusives for the PS4:
Repeating Playstation hasnt made any effort apart from its blockbusters like God of War is ignorant.
your right they spend the rest of there money on cod maps, fifa and madden and dont forget to buy your daily gta shark card.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Border Break
City Shrouded in Shadow - Namco
Crows: Burning Edge
Natsuiro High School Seisyun Hakusyo
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
Date A Live: Ren Dystopia
Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2
Genkai Tokki: Castle Panzers
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone
A-Train Express
Full Metal Panic! Fight: Who Dares Wins
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon
Sorcer Striker (Mahou Daisakusen)
Tear: Owari to Hajimari no Shizuku
Dream Club: Host Girls on Stage

Plus loads more lol
decent list most are vita games and some of those games arent even on the psn store anymore do to licensing dont know what this has to do with the ps5

Neil Young

I won't dignify the personal and dramatically foolish first half of your emotional rant with a response,
Because it's spot on. Hardly emotional, let's not get carried away.

Maybe they shouldn't have reported on it to spare your feelings

You post a shit article from a shit site to stir the pot (on Neo Gaf, a site KNOWN to be pro Sony. I'm an MS fan first but thoroughly enjoy Sony's games). It gets the reactions you wanted and you cowardly hide behind the article. Don't blame me guys, it's the report tee hee. At least own your blatant trolling. It would be one thing to post the article and leave it at that. Not post it in a similar fashion as cutting a wet fart in a crowded elevator and blaming the guy next to you. Grow up.

yurinka

Games and consoles weren’t ready for a proper launch year Sony has big goals and wants them met so whenever I hear about consoles not doing well in Japan I think about how Xbox is doing which is a road nobody wants to go down.
Worldwide PS5 is breaking gaming history records, Xbox Series according to MS is performing better than XBO. They were ready and are performing well specially considering the chips shortage.

Japan simply isn't representative of the global market.
you didnt list them and SF5 is on pc in fact most of the SF pro players play on pc since sony never fixed the built in frame delay and poor pvp netcode one of the top players for SF in general said this.
Not true.

Capcom improved twice the input lag. It now has 4.18 frames of input lag on PS4 (I suggest you to check the ordered tab). Which means SFV on PS4 has better input lag than Smash Bros Ultimate, Tekken 7, Skullgirls, MK11, Dragon Ball FighterZ, DOA6, KOF XIV, Soul Calibur VI, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Injustice 2, SNK Heroines, Ultra Street Fighter II and many other fighting games.

Regarding controller input lag, the best option is to get a custom arcade stick with a Brook UFB board, or if you want standard, oficial controller then Dual Sense has the best input lag for any USB based console.

Netcode had a major server rework the first year, and last year they did several pvp netcode improvements. Now itsn't perfect but it's a pretty good rollback netcode.

99% of the SFV eSports tournaments are played on PS4, so pro players play on PS4.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

You post a shit article from a shit site to stir the pot (on Neo Gaf, a site KNOWN to be pro Sony. I'm an MS fan first but thoroughly enjoy Sony's games). It gets the reactions you wanted and you cowardly hide behind the article. Don't blame me guys, it's the report tee hee. At least own your blatant trolling. It would be one thing to post the article and leave it at that. Not post it in a similar fashion as cutting a wet fart in a crowded elevator and blaming the guy next to you. Grow up.
What's shit about the article? He's reporting about the fact that Sony's software sales have completely flatlined in their native region. 0 titles in the top 30. The first time that has happened in decades. It's newsworthy. You're trying to derail the thread and thread whining because you don't like the news.

There was something I read a while back:

In Japan, the young people have the time for games, but not the money. The older generation have the money for the games, but not the time.

Hence why mobile games and the Switch are now so popular. It ticks a lot of boxes: it can be used on the go, features high quality games (gameplay, graphics, and audio), and is less expensive than the main consoles. The gamers aren't tied to their TVs and sofas, and can just chuck the system into their bags to play on the way to school, work, etc.

Again, I seriously think that Sony need to rethink their handheld PlayStation strategy. They might have problems cracking that Nintendo citadel, however.

Sony doesn't have the guts to create software that can take away from Nintendo's core audience. They have ran from them. ASTRO is nice but not enough.

Japan has been dead for console gaming for a while now. The PS4 didn't reach half of what the ailing PS3 did (which faced the Wii era, while PS4 was all by itself for more than 3 years before Switch came out. It all means Japanese folk only want to play on their phones or handhelds. If the Switch wasn't portable it would fail just like the Wii U did over there.

Hezekiah

Banned
It comes with the territory.

You're going to see a lot of Sony is doomed articles this gen because Switch is dominating and Xbox is strengthening.

Personally, I think the PS5 will do good, maybe even great,

but they've lost significant marketshare from the Xone, and Wii U, and PS4 days where they ran the gamut with an iron fist.
Sony's performance in Japan is "catastrophic", and despite hitting 10m consoles sold in record time, they're losing marketshare to Xbox which is "strengthening", although no hardware or software figures have actually been shared.

I think we know where this is heading....

recursive

Most Japanese games will not release on the PS5 anymore. If you are into JRPG for example the PS5 will not be your plattform.

Without Japan, the market is just too smal for small or mid tier Japanese developers. They will release it on Steam however.

And even Sony knows that, that is why they buy themselves into games like Genshin Impact.
Oh no. Japan plays games on phones. Who gives a fuck. Mean while Nier, Tales of Arise, Code Vein, 13 sentinels, FF7 remake, SAO, etc. This thread is filled with concern bullshit.

FStubbs

Sony's performance in Japan is "catastrophic", and despite hitting 10m consoles sold in record time, they're losing marketshare to Xbox which is "strengthening", although no hardware or software figures have actually been shared.

I think the discussion of Sony in Japan doesn't really have anything to do with MS.

PS5 has probably already outsold every single Xbox console combined lifetime in Japan.

Marty-McFly

Banned

The article is citing Sony's software sales in Japan which are indeed catastrophic.

And yes, Sony's console marketshare has dropped off a cliff since Switch hit in 2017.

Marty-McFly

Banned
PlayStation generates way more revenue than Nintendo and PS4 sells (both total and average games sold per console) way more games than Switch. Sony is more than fine with the type of games they have.
Nintendo is doubling Sony's profits, destroying them in hardware sales, and first party software sales.

You're stuck here having to defend their revenue and their launch sales which you yourself have acknowledged will soon fall behind Switch.
:messenger_ok:

Hezekiah

Banned
I think the discussion of Sony in Japan doesn't really have anything to do with MS.

PS5 has probably already outsold every single Xbox console combined lifetime in Japan.
Yep, but his analysis seemed to veer into the wider picture, and the implication that this is the reason for this type of article coming out (which seems to be why he comes across as so delighted).

It's a nonsense argument he's making, but it's worth highlighting that Europe and the US are much bigger markets than Japan, and the rest of the world is much more similar in the type of gaming that generally takes place.

And his preferred plastic box doesn't even have what you would call a strong territory any more.

Hezekiah

Banned
The article is citing Sony's software sales in Japan which are indeed catastrophic.

And yes, Sony's console marketshare has dropped off a cliff since Switch hit in 2017.
Another massive overstatement when you consider how quickly the PS5 is selling.

Also, it's hard to accurately calculate marketshare when Microsoft hides it's sales numbers.

Marty-McFly

Banned

Also, it's hard to accurately calculate marketshare when Microsoft hides it's sales numbers.
It's not that hard to guesstimate when considering Switch is not far off from surpassing PS4 even though it launched several years later.

Sony basically had the market all to themselves in the Wii U era.

FStubbs

You have whole countries - if not most countries - on Earth that absolutely refuse to buy Xbox. The numbers can't be anything comparable to Playstation.

I've said this before, but it's not a rivalry when one side ALWAYS wins - 2 of the 3 times by a rout. And the other time, MS still lost even though Sony gave them a head start and then did everything possible to shoot themselves in the foot, while MS did everything right. And for the record, this round is looking like another rout again.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What's shit about the article? He's reporting about the fact that Sony's software sales have completely flatlined in their native region. 0 titles in the top 30. The first time that has happened in decades. It's newsworthy. You're trying to derail the thread and thread whining because you don't like the news.

"reporting," "fact," "newsworthy," and "news" don't mean what you think they mean. I can guarantee that.

This is an opinion piece, and a very poorly researched one at best, a disingenuous and dishonest one at worst (more likely the latter).

The simple evidence of how little this complete charlatan knows, is that he doesn't mention anywhere that the software sale figures he's citing, which he describes as "the software sales in an entire major market" are exclusively physical retail sales, which in times of COVID are absolutely irrelevant to make the kind of claims he makes. Or perhaps he knows, and he also knows that that point would make his whole article invalid, which is why he dishonestly doesn't link his source (few things are worse in this industry than not linking one's source) that clearly explains that.

Anyone who knows anything about the market is well aware that the percentage of digital sales is much higher for PlayStation than it is for Nintendo (which has the lowest ratio of digital sales in the industry, for very obvious reasons). But even someone who is ignorant to this fact could easily consult the relevant financial documents for Nintendo and Sony to know that the most updated ratio of digital sales is 71% for Sony and 46.9% for Nintendo throwing this whole charade into the cesspool where it belongs.

I'm rather amazed that I need to explain this, really. 🤔

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
It's not that hard to guesstimate when considering Switch is not far off from surpassing PS4 even though it launched several years later.

Sony basically had the market all to themselves in the Wii U era.
but they've lost significant marketshare from the Xone, and Wii U, and PS4 days where they ran the gamut with an iron fist.
That's what you posted previously, but it's ultimately rubbish, and now you're admitting to guesswork because we don't have the numbers for Microsoft. You actually have no accurate idea of total market share.

Meanwhile you're downplaying PS5's success (and PS4's success which apparently has still sold around 25m more units than the Switch) because they're launch figures - ignoring the massive demand for the console across the globe that ensure it will continue to sell strongly for months and years to come.

As I say it's very transparent. But it's a stupid middle and longer-term strategy because Sony will continue to post strong sales figures, Japan be damned. And you'll be left with having to use mental gymnastics to try to somehow make them look bad.

FStubbs

"reporting," "fact," "newsworthy," and "news" don't mean what you think they mean. I can guarantee that.

This is an opinion piece, and a very poorly researched one at best, a disingenuous and dishonest one at worst (more likely the latter).

The simple evidence of how little this complete charlatan knows, is that he doesn't mention anywhere (likely isn't even aware) that the software sale figures he's citing, which he describes as "the software sales in an entire major market" are exclusively physical retail sales, which in times of COVID are absolutely irrelevant to make the kind of claims he makes. Or perhaps he knows, and he also knows that that point would make his whole article invalid, which is why he dishonestly doesn't link his source (few things are worse in this industry than not linking one's source) that clearly explains that.

Anyone that knows anything about the market is well aware that the percentage of digital sales is much higher for PlayStation than it is for Nintendo. But even someone who is ignorant to this fact could easily consult the relevant financial documents for Nintendo and Sony to know that the most updated ratio of digital sales is 71% for Sony and 46.9% for Nintendo throwing this whole charade into the cesspool where it belongs.

I'm rather amazed that I need to explain this, really.
I think it's a cool little anomaly, much like sometimes the Baltimore Orioles start the season 1-0 and can call themselves "unbeaten", but you know they'll quickly race for the bottom of the standings soon enough.

Kokoloko85

i counted both games and the remaster and yes they barely advertised the 1st game and the 2nd game i saw about 3 ads for it on toonami and thats about it sony didnt even advertise the game in there own store.
You didn’t count both games because at the end you said “ So in total about 3 games are still exclusive” Unless you cant count there is more than 3 exclusives lol. Here is more than 3: Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne, Everybody’s Golf. I already gave you a list of more than 3.
counted it as well
Clearly you didn’t because you said 3 games. on your list you said “Persona 5, 1 exclusive” bloodborne, 2 exclusive” so if you counted Gravity rush and last guardian like you now claim thats 4 lol…….

Nothing has been confirmed. It says Possibly.

The studio that make those games doesnt exist anymore and this thread is about the future of JP games and what the ps5 may or may not get in the future you mentioned shadow of the collosus and dark cloud is about as relevant as MS fans mentioned viva pinata. Current games that have a chance of being made still, getting a sequel or has a chance of staying exclusive to playstation is what I counted
You‘re moving the goal posts. I said what games are exclusive to Playstation that arent blockbusters so maybe you read me read. Driveclub is an exclusive but because the studio doesnt exist but it doesn't mean it doesnt count as an exclusive lol

I didn’t list quite a few more, so it just means there are plenty of Japanese centric games. I gave a rough idea. You replied to my random comment mentioning there are plenty fo japanese centric games and not just blockbusters.
sales charts say other wise
What do you even mean? I said Nintendo is dominating because it is a portable, I didnt deny the charts?
Persona 5 could be on a handheld and it would break insane records in japan alone but it released on console and sold well to the jp audience.
Now Im starting to think you don’t even get the point of my reply to this thread. Of course it would sell more on a portable. My whole argument is that the Switch is doing well because its a portable. Playstation isn’t a portable hence why it isn’t doing as well, no matter what games they bring to Japan.

Switch version of minecraft is the closer version to what the pc gets and theres way you can use mods on it that you cant on the ps4 version. MK8D is a full upgrade over 8 re worked most of the phyics and added multiple modes Smash ult is the same thing and even more of a re imagine then smash 4 you cant even compare the two.
You seriously think they are selling better because of those reason and not because they are on a portable machine?
super famicom, ds, 3ds and wiiu say other wise saturn outsold n64 because it got str8 arcade ports in japan.
Like i said, Nintendo portables do well but the consoles don’t apart from the Wii. Since the Snes ( when Playstation came to the market) Nintendo consoles ( Home consoles ) havent done well apart from the Wii.
Saturn done well because it had waaay better Fighting games, Shoot em ups and JRPG’S than the N64, which is what the japanese market loves back in those days.
Lol what are you talking about, the Wii u sold 3 million copies in Japan, it was another Nintendo Console failure in Japan. Nintendo’s worse selling console in ever. Please stop replying to me
They don’t say otherwise at all lmao, you mentioned 2 portables ( which is what Ive been telling you sells in Japan ) a totally failed system in Japan (the Wii U ) and the snes.
Facts are Japan cares about portables, not Nintendo home consoles.
the highest selling switch version is the docked one and not the lite................
Well the regular hyrbrid has been out for double the time……
your right they spend the rest of there money on cod maps, fifa and madden and dont forget to buy your daily gta shark card.
Sure. More like securing games like Nioh, Final fantasy 7, and others as console exclusive..
Ignore list for you lol

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
That's what you posted previously, but it's ultimately rubbish, and now you're admitting to guesswork because we don't have the numbers for Microsoft. You actually have no accurate idea of total market share.

Meanwhile you're downplaying PS5's success (and PS4's success which apparently has still sold around 25m more units than the Switch) because they're launch figures - ignoring the massive demand for the console across the globe that ensure it will continue to sell strongly for months and years to come.

As I say it's very transparent. But it's a stupid middle and longer-term strategy because Sony will continue to post strong sales figures, Japan be damned. And you'll be left with having to use mental gymnastics to try to somehow make them look bad.
"Rubbish"

Does anyone need to calculate?

Sony has been losing to Switch for years when they previously dominated the entire market.

Fiscal year 2020

7.8 million PS5 + 5.8 million PS4 =

13.6 million Playstations vs. 28.8 million Switch's.

I don't even need to include Xbox.

Nintendo is more than doubling Sony's marketshare with one console alone in 2020.

Kokoloko85

"Rubbish"

Sony has been losing to Switch for years when they previously dominated the entire market.

Fiscal year 2020

Nintendo is more than doubling Sony's marketshare with one console alone in 2020.
Switch is a newer console than PS4. PS5 has stock issues.
Are they doubling Sony’s Marketshare worldwide.

Are you the poster formerly known as Kenshin? You make the same style posts and threads…..

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

Are you the poster formerly known as Kenshin? You make the same style posts and threads…..
You can make as many excuses as you want but this is the current state of the market, which Switch has been controlling for years now.

I'm even spotting you a 2 consoles to 1 advantage.

We'll see what the future brings Sony.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
"Rubbish"

Fiscal year 2020

Do I need to emphasise how pointless this statement is? PS4 is basically in its end-of-life, and has sold tens of millions more units than the Switch anyway having been on the market since 2013. PS5 is a new, high-tech console that is massively supply constrained. And you're comparing it with the peak years of the Switch which is much more widely available, and has a much larger software library.

Since you're obsessed with who's beating who:
  • PS5 - 40,322 / day (10M in 248 days - Source)
  • Switch - 35,211 / day (10M in 284 days - Source)

If we're talking market share, I'm pretty sure Sony has sold the most consoles since 2013....

Hezekiah

Banned

Surely a Bodoism alt-account?

Boasts about Nintendo sales figures, hates anything Sony, and ignores Microsoft because it does fit the agenda.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Do I need to emphasise how pointless this statement is? PS4 is basically in its end-of-life, and has sold tens of millions more units than the Switch anyway having been on the market since 2013. PS5 is a new, high-tech console that is massively supply constrained. And you're comparing it with the peak years of the Switch which is much more widely available, and has a much larger software library.

Since you're obsessed with who's beating who:
  • PS5 - 40,322 / day (10M in 248 days - Source)
  • Switch - 35,211 / day (10M in 284 days - Source)

If we're talking market share, I'm pretty sure Sony has sold the most consoles since 2013....
I'm sorry, early launch aligned sales mean precisely zero when considering the current state of the market.

They're merely PR optics for who can ship the most at launch, and even at that, Switch will pass PS5 in a couple of months as they launched in March as opposed to PS5's holiday launch, as has been covered a million times already in this thread. Switch was sold out for years.

Until shortages are no longer a thing you're just arguing PS5's potential, which is a completely unknown variable until the shortages end.

What we do know is that PS4's best year on the market (out of nearly 8) was 20 million.

Switch has passed that number twice now selling 21 million in FY 2019, 28.8 million in FY 2020, and is on pace to pass it again in 2021.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm sorry, early launch aligned sales mean precisely zero when considering the current state of the market.

They're merely PR optics for who can ship the most at launch, and even at that, Switch will pass PS5 in a couple of months as they launched in March as opposed to PS5's holiday launch, as has been covered a million times already in this thread. Switch was sold out for years.

Until shortages are no longer a thing you're just arguing PS5's potential, which is a completely unknown variable until the shortages end.
Sorry but again that is rubbish - demand dictates everything.

For starters, if demand was low or average, they wouldn't be producing as many possible units as possible, and for such a long period.

You don't want to accept it, but demand for the PS5 now is higher than it was at the launch of the Switch. No console has ever sold 10m in such a short space of time, and no other console has seen the same markup in terms of eBay prices etc, and restocks go so quickly.

And no the Switch was not sold out for years in all places (sure as hell wasn't in Europe), that's complete bullshit 😁.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Sorry but again that is rubbish - demand dictates everything.

For starters, if demand was low or average, they wouldn't be producing as many possible units as possible, and for such a long period.

You don't want to accept it, but demand for the PS5 now is higher than it was at the launch of the Switch. No console has ever sold 10m in such a short space of time, and no other console has seen the same markup in terms of eBay prices etc, and restocks go so quickly.

And no the Switch was not sold out for years in all places (sure as hell wasn't in Europe), that's complete bullshit 😁.
They were literally holding lotteries to buy Switch's years after its release. :messenger_confused: PS5 has only been out for months.

Demand is not something that can be quantified until there are no shortages to speak of.

I mean, can you tell me how many PS5's are going to sell once the shortages are met? If not, you're full of shit. Banking on pipe dreams.

PS5 is going magically sell over 28.8 million units when PS4's best year was 20 million. Right.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
They were literally holding lotteries to buy Switch's years after its release. :messenger_confused: PS5 has only been out for months.

Demand is not something that can be quantified until there are no shortages to speak of.

I mean, can you tell me how many PS5's are going to sell once the shortages are met? If not, you're full of shit. Banking on pipe dreams.

PS5 is going magically sell over 28.8 million units when PS4's best year was 20 million. Right.
Don't worry Kenshin, it's going to be alright 😅.

graywolf323

Gold Member

honestly I'm not even sure how pro-Sony GAF Is at this point, I see a LOT more posts from either fanboys of other companies hating on them or Sony fanboys who are pissed about first-party games going to PC for whatever reason than it feels like there are blindly pro-Sony posters anymore

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Sony should release a Japan only handheld, that is basically just a screen with controls and WiFi/5G that streams full PS5 games, $149 for the device and charge either a sub or per game price for the service.

Sony doesn't need Japan. They focus on a different market, and most of you need to accept that. JRPGs sell well outside of Japan as well, that's why SE and Atlus, for example, still develop primarily for the Playstation brand.

The next big market in Asia, if it keeps going like this, is China. There's some bureaucracy problems that can hinder its growth, but people here still value on the couch/chair type of gaming. Everyone is thirsty for a PS5 and even the Switch (I just sold mine and lots of people were interested in it).

The Switch is a handheld console, primarily, and has IPs that the Japanese market resonates with. That will never change, and unless Sony develops their own Mario or Pokemon (something that would not guarantee increased sales in the Japanese market), nothing is going to change.

Sony will double down on mobile gaming in Japan, that's what they're going to do, and I'm almost 100% sure of that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's not a grave concern, Sony knew what they were doing by focusing on other markets. The Japanese gaming market has long been close minded to innovation and foreign games, particularly western games. "Foreign game" is used as an insult, even, or another way to say "low quality". There's a saying: Yo-ge, kuso-ge, meaning "Western game, shit game."

They want things very simplistic, with hand-holding tutorials that seem to last for days, they don't expect much in terms of presentation, and again, they reject innovation. And if it's mobile, then even better.

So again, Sony knew full well that focusing on games that appealed to the broader world would affect their bottom line in Japan. How could they not?

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah. Writing actual gaming news instead of spamming muh console war opinion and "grave concerns" around is such a terrible thing. It totally deprives me of the right to criticize bullshitters 😂

Keep going, you're a riot, Mr. Putin. 😂
“Writing actual gaming news”

Winter Olympics Games GIF by Team USA

Perhaps your daily 2 paragraph blogs have changed since the last time that I visited that site?

When I did used to visit N4G, your contributions were nothing more than console war hit generators wrote especially for that place

Rippa

Lol nah!

Japan has become casual gamer hence Nintendo domination in that region.

Sony is the leader for hardcore console gaming in the rest of the world so….

It’s of no “grave” concern. Only concerning to the console and portable/mobile warriors of this forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom