• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's Greatest Bullshots

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shot005.jpg

The new Assassins Creed shots reminded me of this Trespasser shot, one of the most beautiful bullshots of all time IMO. Already gave a glimpse of Alan Wake style graphics years earlier.

Doesn't look touched up or like it is just rendered by a CG asrtist. Looks very in-engine, just at much higher (texture) resolution and better lighting.

The difference to how the game finally turned out is rather subtile ;)

Dw_town04.jpg
Bringing back Trespasser.

You know, that area in the actual game is exactly where it started to really grab me. It was incredibly immersive for its day and I still loved the game despite its many MANY flaws.

In reality, the rain looks a lot better than the shot you posted. The rain droplets actually respond to the wind conditions, which is very impressive in motion.

Check out this random example

Yeah I love the game, but it's certainly not what they showed it to be. I think the night/weather effects are some of the best around. But it's not quite what they promised. Looking forward to the next in the series though, especially if it's on next gen.

dark10x

Yeah I love the game, but it's certainly not what they showed it to be. I think the night/weather effects are some of the best around. But it's not quite what they promised. Looking forward to the next in the series though, especially if it's on next gen.
It can look just like that trailer, actually. That said, if you look closely at the trailer in a higher resolution you can see it's still the same low resolution effect used in the final game.

Also, the wipers animate at 30 fps so it makes the whole thing look even worse in person.

Red Steel, without question. Not only did the actual game look like shit, but those screenshots alone got Ninty Fanboys climbing buildings and screaming at the top of their lungs with calls of "I TOLD YOU SO!" with proof of their insipid belief that the Wii's graphics would be comparable to 360/PS3.

Piers

Metal Gear Solid 3DS Tech-Demo at E3:
mgs3d7710.jpg

metalgear3d.jpg

And the end result:
4.jpg

SnakeEater_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Granted it did hold well in various other areas, but I remember the frame-rate and texturing in particular being a nasty shock.

It's not so much that the 3DS couldn't do this to begin with, but it's the usual case of tech-demos showing you what will happen when the media doesn't have to worry about storage usage, and processing power for the gameplay itself. Pisses me off a bit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gearbox is easily one of the worst for this... god the BiA shots. Especially for Hell's Highway, the promo shots they released were pure fabrications.

OmegaZero

And the end result:
SnakeEater_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

They changed Naked Snake's model and lighting for the cutscenes, so this no longer looks like the final game.
Textures are similar, but the foliage is a bit different too IIRC.

I don't think we'll ever get a 3DS game on par with the Naked Sample. :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I remember last gen whenever I was thumbing through an EGM and I'd come across a Team Ninja game my jaw would always drop. I didn't know about bullshots at the time so I always assumed Team Ninja invoked some dark magic to get games looking that good. Now I know that those were 1440p screens with AA applied :lol

Ubi Soft's just piss me off though. As someone who was incredibly excited for the Wii, especially in FPS, Red Steel looked incredible to me. There was even a video that was a lie. I was so mad at the final product.

Ubi's photoshop has gone too far lately though. Some of the Far Cry 3 stuff actually looks worse than the real game because of how over contrasty and fake they look.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
God of War 3 and Uncharted series are the only games i can remember with... regressive bullshots. The in-game actually lookin way better.

god-of-war-3.jpg

uncharted2story1a.jpg

dark10x

I have never seen that one before, but wow...
Really? It was a huge deal at E3 2003 (when it was first shown).

Bungie has discussed this demo a number of times basically noting that, at that point, what they were showing at E3 was just about all they had complete. Nothing else was ready.

They also admitted to letting their ambitions get the best of them with the lighting and shadows. They wanted to use dynamic stencil shadows throughout the world ALA Doom 3 which just wasn't possible. Aspects of this made their way into the final engine but it was not used often.

Bungie always seemed to fly by the seat of their pants. Both Halo and Halo 2 were huge rush projects in the end that they struggled to complete on time.

Anything and everything from Epic Games. They are by FAR the worst offenders
Worse than Codemasters? I think not.

DangerStepp

I didn't realize it was a rushed project until you mentioned that this is all they had at E3 2003... and this released Sept 2004? lol

I guess it's good to be ambitious; at the cost of huckstering us, no less.

I didn't realize it was a rushed project until you mentioned that this is all they had at E3 2003... and this released Sept 2004? lol

I guess it's good to be ambitious; at the cost of huckstering us, no less.

I really get the feeling Bungie was never a very organized/disciplined studio. They always seemed rushed with their projects, even when they had 3 years to work on them.

DangerStepp

What gave you that presumption? They have a good reputation and pedigree with Myth, Marathon, & Halo.

I was surprised to just find out Halo 2 was churned out that quickly; that doesn't mean they're an unorganized mess.

If that was the case, wouldn't we have to assume the same of Naughty Dog or any other game studio for that matter?

SeanNoonan

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow's misleading frame rate trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8F0dQM1DI

Final product felt like 20fps most of the time.

In many ways this is the worst crime of all as it has dramatic repercussions on gameplay. Especially in the action brawling genre.

To me one of the biggest bullshots was the Killzone 2 target video. I remember at the time arguing how it was real due to a number of inconsistencies regarding attention to detail; such as the current gen quality cubemap attached to the weapon scope. Still, I'm glad it exists, it's one of the best pieces of short digital entertainment I have seen, and it's impressive how close Guerrilla came to achieving that vision.

What gave you that presumption? They have a good reputation and pedigree with Myth, Marathon, & Halo.

I was surprised to just find out Halo 2 was churned out that quickly; that doesn't mean they're an unorganized mess.

If that was the case, wouldn't we have to assume the same of Naughty Dog or any other game studio for that matter?

I didn't say they made crap games, I just said they were unorganized/undisciplined. I think the story of Halo 2 is pretty much unmitigated proof of this. Almost 2 years after the launch of Halo CE and all they had to show was a small demo of Halo 2. In the end it seemed quite obvious to me that Halo 2 was a messy, rushed game, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the original.

And what on earth does this conversation have to do with Naughty Dog? 2 years after Uncharted released, they put out Uncharted 2, which many consider to be one of the finest games of this generation. Rather odd for you to throw their name into this, especially when we all know they turned out Uncharted 2 on a 2 year schedule.

sp3000

Gran Turismo 5 and Gears of War pretty much have more bullshots floating around on the internet than actual gameplay footage

Harmen

Yeeah...these posts need to stop, what game is it?

I cant sit here and feel your pain if I have no idea what that is from.

I agree, but wasn't it posted back in 2012?

And google image search usually helps me out ;) (in chrome right click and search for image on google).

Top Bottom